• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Iphone 5C or Samsung 4S

Nohal

DIS Veteran
I got a card in the mail from Verizon for a free Iphone 5C when upgrading my contract. So it's been 3 years and I have an old phone so now I want a smart phone especially if its free. Get to the store and they don't have any Iphone 5C (??????) in their store or any store in the general vicinity. Now I just received this card about a week ago so I'm wondering if this is a bait and switch deal. The saleman said that the samsung are better than the Iphones and that some of the samsung technology is in the apple phone. My DH and DS are getting the Samsung mini 4S as the free phone is for me only. The saleman is going to see if he can get me a I phone 5C :confused3 and will let me know by tomorrow afternoon. Since there are none available in any of the stores and I made a stink about contacting Verizon for sending these cards out and not having the stock to back it up I think one will materialize. Now I don't know if I want the Iphone or if I want the Samsung. Anyone out there have an opinions on either phone?

I don't know anything about the Samsung phones, however my family is an iPhone family. We have all had them for years now with no problems

Well, since you don't currently have a smartphone you likely will be happy with either choice. If you have any iPads or other apple products at home that you want to sync go with the iphone. If not, play with both in the store and see which one you like.

Its not a bait and switch there just isn't as much inventory of the 5c since its been a flop for Apple.

While I'm an Android person (have and love the S4), that's not the reason I'd recommend one for you. I find it so much easier when my husband (and other family members) and I have the same phone. We got the S4 at the same time as my parents when they first came out and we were all constantly finding new things they could do - and it was great to be able to share new tricks with each other . And if you're new to smartphones, that may be helpful, especially at first.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using DISBoards

I switched from having an iPhone for several years and got the Samsung Galaxy S4 for free with contract renewal this past black Friday. I love the bigger screen and better camera on the Samsung... but I miss my apps on the iPhone... I can get the same apps on my Samsung but they miss a lot of features that were specifically made for iPhone so that was annoying. I don't have any plans to switch out my phone, but I'm hoping that iPhone does end up with a bigger screen and better camera... if they do then I will be going back to the iPhone. For a smart phone newbie I thought the iPhone was easier... but if you are new to smartphones I don't think it really matters which you choose... whichever you get the best deal for.

I hope everyone who gets "free phones" understands that these phones aren't really free. You're paying for it over time with your contract.

Verizon is selling iPhone 5cs on their website, so they have them there.

I tried a Samsung galaxy before I bought my iPhone 5. Just couldn't get used to an Android phone. If I wanted a new iPhone, but could wait, I would, for the new version.

I stick with iPhones, I have heard anything android based is subject to too many viruses.

I have the Samsung S4, and absolutely love it! :lovestruc I thought about getting the Iphone 5C before deciding on the S4, but I've never had an Apple product and love the android base. One of the biggest reasons I didn't get the 5C is because I have seen way too many people break the screen on their Iphones just by dropping it once, and I drop my phone all the time so that wouldn't work for me. :rotfl:

I had an android phone, and had nothing but trouble. Depending upon the system in your car, the Bluetooth system on an Android may not work well. I have a 2013 Cadillac and the Android would only link properly intermittently. And the battery life in that phone was awful. I never was too partial to Apple products...but I did buy an iPhone 4s last week and so far i has been great. The linking works fine, the apps work well, and it has some nice features. I was going to try a Windows phone, but MyDisneyExperience App is not yet available for Windows phones, and that is why I decided on the iPhone.

I have the Samsung S4, and absolutely love it! :lovestruc I thought about getting the Iphone 5C before deciding on the S4, but I've never had an Apple product and love the android base. One of the biggest reasons I didn't get the 5C is because I have seen way too many people break the screen on their Iphones just by dropping it once, and I drop my phone all the time so that wouldn't work for me. :rotfl:

I was where you are and just ditched my Droid Razr for an iPhone 5s for a few reasons. I have an iPod, and recently an iPad. It was way more convenient to have all in sync.

As far as dropping the phone goes, I had a waterproof, drop proof Otter Box Defender case on my Droid and ordered it for my iPhone.

The bottom line is that each user needs to add up their own pros and cons. For the new smartphone user, especially technically challenged, I"d recommend the iPhone. Just buy a good case and I recommend that with any phone, since water damage is not covered.

I had a Samsung a couple years ago and will never get another one. I have the iPhone 5 now and it was like night and day how much better and more intuitive it is. I also have an Otterbox and I'm pretty sure it could get run over by a semi and would still be fine.

:thumbsup2

I just switched from an iPhone 5 to a Samsung Galaxy S4. I was having issues with my iPhone and while I still have my iPad Mini and a MacBook Pro and an I Mac I love my new phone! I would have never thought I would love and enjoy to go back to an android but I'm happy I made the switch!

If you can get out of your contract I would suggest that. That "free" phone is probably costing you $1,000+.

I just got the Samsung Galaxy S4 this past weekend and I really like it. Had the iphone for 2 years. I liked it but was slowly starting to have issues with it and wanted a change.

My husband and I took advantage of the free iPhone 5c offer last week. We had the previous iPhone 4s up until then. I think Verizon is continually trying to get customers off the 3G network, and the 5c hasn't been seeking well (or so I've heard).

I took the offer, because it was for the 32 gig, and not the 16 gig. I like having the extra storage. It's a plastic case instead of aluminum, but I threw a case on it and called it good.

I hate paying for new phones. Yes , I know that it's not "free" when is using a contract plan, but our bill is pretty reasonable between my employer discount, and my husband's stipend from his employer.

We switched from Android to iPhone awhile ago- so I don't have any advice on that front, but it is legitimate. We even were able to make some money on the deal- we were able to trade on our iPhone 4s for $200/each.

I had an iphone 4 until I accidentally put it in the laundry :( I had to get a new phone so I switched to the Samsung s4. At first I didn't like it because I was so used to my iphone. But now I love it much better than my iphone. I think the larger screen is what I like the best. The only thing I miss is a couple of apps that I cannot get for android.

I have the Iphone 4s and just got the same card to upgrade for "free." We just call Verizon and they send us out the new phone of our choosing. I've never taken the card into a store as it's just easier to call and have them ship it. We just called today and my new iphone 5c will be here on Monday. Works for me!!

As for comparison, I've had the iphone for a few years and my husband had the Samsung Galaxy 3 or 4 (i forget which). I've played with the Galaxy and really like the large screen, and even thought of switching over. I just have to say I'm so used to IOS that I decided to stay with it. Also, some of the apps are not available on android.

I stick with iPhones, I have heard anything android based is subject to too many viruses.

3 of us in our family have had android phones for around 10 years, and we've never had a virus. :confused3

I had a Samsung a couple years ago and will never get another one. I have the iPhone 5 now and it was like night and day how much better and more intuitive it is. I also have an Otterbox and I'm pretty sure it could get run over by a semi and would still be fine.

That is the rub, to me. 2 in my family have iPhones, and my former office was all Apple, and I have truly tried and tried to like Apple and I just don't. It's not intuitive *at all* for me. Android phones, on the other hand, are. I liken it to being either right-handed or left-handed - what seems "natural" for one is miserable for another. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter