iPad going thru MCO security

I just flew out of MCO and the TSA agents were yelling, over and over again "shoes off, coats off, anything larger than a cell phone needs to come out of your bags and be scanned separately."

Some of it depends on threat level as well. There was an airport "incident" during our last trip, and screening became much stricter on the return trip as a result. Like most things these days, I am sure that they have threat assessment levels and respond accordingly; it is a balance between safety and speed of screening.

The technology employed is quickly becoming much better now as well. Watch the screen of the x-ray station next time you go through and I think you will be impressed with the level of detail they can see, zooming up and down through the bag to see objects hidden under other objects. My DW offered to take out her plastic bag of liquids on the way down and the agent just laughed saying "not necessary - we can tell EXACTLY what's in there".

There was a time when it was inconsistently requested but I've been asked to remove it for the last couple of years travelling both domestically, to the US and overseas. I now put it into a convenient pocket in my backpack so that it's easy to whip out and quick and easy to put back. It's partly why I picked that particular backpack.

Update: we just came back from Orlando and used our Nexus cards. There was a sign specifically stating that you do not need to take out laptops when going through this line. From this I infer that you DO need to take them out if you're not going through the Nexus line.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for responding. It seems I’ve just been lucky not having been asked to remove I pad until this trip. I thought it was odd since last trip before this was only in Aug/September. Guess I’ll be better prepared next time with zip lock bags for iPad and separate one for cords.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter