Inviting a Friend

DISNEYSQUIRRELS

DIS Veteran
Our trip to WDW is planned for November & we are considering letting my daughter (17) bring her friend along.
This is a girl's trip, so it will be me, my mom & my daughter. We will be staying onsite & right now we are booked at POFQ, we would all share the same room.
I am just curious/wondering, if you have allowed a friend to come along on a vacation, what sorts of things you have run into?
The girls have been friends since 2nd grade, "on & off" at times, but more "on" as they have gotten older.
Since this would be at our invitation, we would not expect (or accept) her or her family to pay for anything. I would be covering her airline ticket, Disney pass & food. If she wanted to have some of her own spending money, that's great for souvenirs or whatever.
The friend has never been to Disney.

Last October DD17 brought a friend with on our vacation over MEA (Teachers break). We went to Seaworld for a day, then a 3 night cruise and then Disney Halloween Party. It was Me, DD, DS and her friend. They have been friends since they were 2 and our families have done lots together so she is like a 2nd daughter.

I had no issues at all taking her. We all had a great time and would do it again.

I haven't brought a friend yet but thought I could chime in with some things to consider. If you want the whole 3 generations bonding experience then you may consider leaving the friend at home. I can see the girls wanting to split into their own group and exploring Disney on their own. If Grandma has already done Disney with you and your daughter then it might not be a huge deal. If this is a once in a lifetime trip then leave the friend at home. If you bring the friend, then you will want to get medical release forms from her parents that you can print off the internet and a copy of her health insurance card just in case she needs to visit a doctor on the trip. November is a great time to visit so this trip has the potential to be a really great time if Grandma is comfortable sharing attention :)

I haven't brought a friend yet but thought I could chime in with some things to consider. If you want the whole 3 generations bonding experience then you may consider leaving the friend at home. I can see the girls wanting to split into their own group and exploring Disney on their own. If Grandma has already done Disney with you and your daughter then it might not be a huge deal. If this is a once in a lifetime trip then leave the friend at home. If you bring the friend, then you will want to get medical release forms from her parents that you can print off the internet and a copy of her health insurance card just in case she needs to visit a doctor on the trip. November is a great time to visit so this trip has the potential to be a really great time if Grandma is comfortable sharing attention :)
Thanks for these thoughts. My mom lives with me & my daughter & knows this friend well enough. We go to Disney pretty much every year, so we are bonded, ha! My DD is definitely fine hanging out with me & her GM, but I'm sure its a *bit* more fun having your friend with you. I am fine with the girls going off on their own, my daughter will be 17 & her friend will be 18 by the time we go. I did think of the medical release thing, but that won't be needed since she turns 18 this summer. I still require the friend's mom to be ok with the trip & I'll be giving her all the trip details...she still lives with her parents, so I wouldn't just bypass them because she just turned 18.

I assume you realize what a huge expense adding another person to your trip will cost.
We did this when my daughter was younger and It was nice for her to have someone her age (only child) to hang out with. This was back when tickets and food prices were just expensive and not outrageously expensive as they are now.
if I were you, I would ask the friends family to pay for her flight & park tickets and you cover the rest. Depending on your eating habits, food & extra hotel fee will cost you at least $100 extra a day on top of the ticket & flight costs. You didn’t mention how long you’re going for but this could get really expensive really fast.

When my daughter was in 8th grade, she took a friend. It worked out really well. I had a decent enough relationship with the girl's family and we just kind of worked out the costs. I paid for her park tickets (we get military salute so not a huge budget buster), paid for her meals, and I believe I paid for her airfare which was cheap at the time ($100 RT). She did bring her own money for snacks and her own spending money but I swear her parents gave me some money when I got back. They wanted to do it and I think when people really want to give you money (it makes them feel good) it's weird to argue over that. But I think you're going in with the right idea of paying for everything also.

I think at 17 y/o, a trip with a friend is not a bad idea. It can be really fun for them and as long as they get along well I think it will be fine.

I assume you realize what a huge expense adding another person to your trip will cost.
We did this when my daughter was younger and It was nice for her to have someone her age (only child) to hang out with. This was back when tickets and food prices were just expensive and not outrageously expensive as they are now.
if I were you, I would ask the friends family to pay for her flight & park tickets and you cover the rest. Depending on your eating habits, food & extra hotel fee will cost you at least $100 extra a day on top of the ticket & flight costs. You didn’t mention how long you’re going for but this could get really expensive really fast.
I wouldn’t ask - because it is expensive. As a mom of 5, I’d be pretty conflicted spending that much money for 1 of my kids to go on vacation, and yet feel bad not sending her. All of my kids have gone away with friends, lake house, shore house, cabin, and I’ve always sent them with snacks, spending money, maybe a bottle of wine for the host, but not over $500 out if our budget.

I wouldn’t ask - because it is expensive. As a mom of 5, I’d be pretty conflicted spending that much money for 1 of my kids to go on vacation, and yet feel bad not sending her. All of my kids have gone away with friends, lake house, shore house, cabin, and I’ve always sent them with snacks, spending money, maybe a bottle of wine for the host, but not over $500 out if our budget.
That is my point though, it is very expensive. If the parents and or the friend pay for a trip least her tickets, that would take that burden off the op’s budget.
All of your examples are very inexpensive to add another child, Disney is not.
It has been several years since we brought my daughters friend with us to Disney so I don’t remember the exact details but I am pretty certain her parents paid for her tickets & flight and we paid for everything else. As I said before ticket prices were much cheaper back then.
Not in a million years would I let another family spend $1,000+ for my child to attend their Disney vacation without chipping in for expenses.

When I turned 18, 3 of my friends and I went in a cruise by ourselves. One friend was 17 and I was her legal guardian for a week per the cruise line rules. (We had paperwork from her parents and everything). I'm 42 and still remember every single thing we did on that trip. If you can swing it, do it!!!! The memories will be amazing for all of you.

Yes, I do realize the extra costs involved.
I wouldn’t invite someone & expect them to pay, it’s just not my style.
I used credit card points to buy her ticket, so it cost me $11.50. The biggest expenses will be her Disney pass & food.
Who knows...my daughter & her friend both work, so maybe they’ll treat us to a lunch or supper.
I would normally be paying for my other daughter to come along but she can’t come this trip, so cost wise I’m in the same boat as usual.

That is my point though, it is very expensive. If the parents and or the friend pay for a trip least her tickets, that would take that burden off the op’s budget.
It has been several years since we brought my daughters friend with us to Disney so I don’t remember the exact details but I am pretty certain her parents paid for her tickets & flight and we paid for everything else. As I said before ticket prices were much cheaper back then.
Not in a million years would I let another family spend $1,000+ for my child to attend their Disney vacation without chipping in for expenses.
OP here... I totally get where your coming from because vacations, especially Disney, are expensive.
We’re not rich people but we definitely plan & budget for vacation.
I would never ask or expect the friends family to pay. I feel like that would be a huge ask. Off track, but it reminds me of a time in my early 20s that my friend asked me if I wanted to come to a concert with her, she had an extra ticket. I said, yep, sure & at some point during the night she asked me for the ticket $$. It was awkward. I felt kind of used to be honest. But anyway, I do know that this family lost their home in a fire a few years ago & the mom & dad had to live separately with their kids amogst relatives homes.
When I posted, I was more concerned & thinking about the getting along aspect of things since it is 8 days of togetherness!

I don't see anything wrong with the OP offering to pay for the friend enitrely, but I would suggest accepting any $$ the friend or her parents offer to contribute.

And not in a million years would I ask another parent to pay me $1000 to take my child to WDW to keep their child company.

My kids are 21 and 18. We have taken my daughter's friend ( she was 14) and boyfriend( she was 17) on trips. My son (21) brought his girlfriend with us on our Feb. trip. Both of my kids agree that they would rather just be family. November is a long way out in high school years. Friendships can change. I would just have it be the three of you.

I haven't brought a child's friend on anything other than a day trip (zoo, museum, amusement park); but it sounds like you are used to paying for 4 already since you have 2 daughters and one can't come this time. I think it's important you're okay with the possibility of them going off on their own.

We are taking my mom with us for the first time this year. She's never been to Disney and as a surprise for her I'm covering everything except spending money (room, flight, park tickets, dining plan). I am definitely feeling the extra expense; but I'm looking forward to treating her. I think it's a nice thing to do for your daughter and her friend. I haven't invited a friend of either of my children because doubling either would irritate the other. My daughter wouldn't want an additional 9 year-old boy on the trip and my son wouldn't want an additional teenage girl going...they'd object or demand to bring their own friend LOL.

I haven't done it myself but I think they both will enjoy it. Have you talked to your daughter about it or did you want it to be a surprise for the both of them?

Our trip to WDW is planned for November & we are considering letting my daughter (17) bring her friend along.
This is a girl's trip, so it will be me, my mom & my daughter. We will be staying onsite & right now we are booked at POFQ, we would all share the same room.
I am just curious/wondering, if you have allowed a friend to come along on a vacation, what sorts of things you have run into?
The girls have been friends since 2nd grade, "on & off" at times, but more "on" as they have gotten older.
Since this would be at our invitation, we would not expect (or accept) her or her family to pay for anything. I would be covering her airline ticket, Disney pass & food. If she wanted to have some of her own spending money, that's great for souvenirs or whatever.
Just think of it as the sleepover that never ends, pack a few emergency Valiums, and ensure you have your nightly glass of whatever gets you through the night. Also remember whatever happens in Disney stays in Disney; saves years of embarrassment on the part of the offender.

All jokes aside, as long as you know the parents and your child's friend it should all go well. Been traveling with other family members and friends' children for several years now. Nothing has ever happened that was completely beyond the pale. I do lay down ground rules ahead of time as to social interaction, meals, and the like. This did not stop one child from organizing mischief by locking all the bathroom stalls in the campground's ladies room and sliding under the doors to exit. As soon as I realized they'd been in there too long I walked in and had her AND her sidekick, DGD, slide right back under every door and open them. As a consequence, they both had to wash those clothing by hand.

Family members or friends are required to pay airplane or Amtrak costs and provide spending money; just my way and I foot the rest. Some vacation places the other children have never been to before including Disney. Disney is easy as you can just send links from across the internet.

Before we go (generally 6 months in advance) I write their caretakers a detailed email that touches on clothing needed, luggage size and toiletries, enquire about food allergies and meds, and give contact information for us and where we are going. I follow it up about a month before we go (my youngest sister and ex DIL are good at "forgetting stuff" and losing emails) with a reminder that includes the original email.

HTH and have fun!

Sounds like a real special treat for the friend. 4 is certainly an easier number at Disney as there's no one left out on rides or otherwise. Your daughter and her friend could do their thing from time to time and you and your Mom could relax. 4 women in 1 room might get tight but it sounds like you've done this before. I would echo the person who mentioned that November is some time away especially in High School years and you did say they have been on and off before. I just know from my own High School experience that friends at that age can be awfully fickle. I have to admit that if someone asked one of my kids to Disney, I would feel funny about it just knowing how expensive it is. I would absolutely offer money as I expect most other people would. Have you talked to her parents about it? I hope it works out for you!

Last edited:

My family is crazy Disney obsessed. We've done cruises, WDW, are AP at DLR, etc. We rope drop and can do all day in the parks if we want. It's our way to Disney. My daughter (11) is involved in comp cheer and has had a few comps at DLR and WDW. This past year, her bestie joined us for a couple of days at the parks. It was...different. Friend is not into Disney, got bored quickly, and didn't like staying in the parks for more than few hours. Her friend left a few days before us at WDW and once it was just the 5 of us again, you could see the noticeable difference in my daughter to pick back up with her Disney obsession. Just something to think about when adding someone who hasn't been to Disney but for us, we decided that given how we like to tour, it's better to just do the 5 of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter