Invited my dad, never used GAC before

ebtbmom

DIS Veteran
I've invited my dad on our next trip, hoping to go 12/8. He has a prosthetic leg. He still works full time in maintenance for a school system, but I'm still worried about the walking at Disney. How does the GAC work and would he qualify?

I told him about the electric scooters and he told me that he walks a lot at work, so I'm thinking he didn't like that idea. :) I'm afraid though that he doesn't understand the amount of walking that a Disney vacation includes. If we started the day off with him walking and he tired would we be able to get an ECV or do they tend to run out?

Also I assume that they can stop rides like HM or for him to board. He may would need to get his footing before stepping into the vehicle.

Thanks, I've never traveled before with someone who needs assistance so I'm not quite sure how that part works!

Many people with a prosthesis are able to manage the parks, especially if he is active in every day life. That said, an ECV may be a good idea. Most people walk an average of 6-10 miles per day at WDW - you could ask your father if he's comfortable with that mileage. There aren't places to sit and rest in line. If his only "need" is mobility or stamina related, WDW's response will be to suggest he rent a wheelchair or ECV as a GAC can't do much to help with that. There's more info about GAC in the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum.

In-park ECV rentals do tend to run out by mid- to late morning, at which time a waiting list will start. So there might not be one available by the time he gets tired. Another option is to rent offsite, which is likely to be less expensive than in-park rentals and he'll also have it for getting to/from the parks and around the resort - particularly helpful at the end of a long tiring day.

Most rides with moving walkways can be slowed or stopped - the two that cannot are Peter Pan and the People Mover.

Enjoy your vacation!

There is no GAC designed to reduce walking. Besides, the vast majority of the walking you will do will be between attractions, where a GAC wouldn't help even if it did exist. If he has trouble with steps or stairs a GAC can help with that.

The only WDW rides with moving walkways that can't be stopped or slowed for people who need extra time to board are the Peoplemover and Peter Pan's Flight.

I'd take the names and contact information of a few wheelchair/ECV rental companies with you just in case. If he decides he needs one and the parks are running out of theirs, they can often get a rental to you pretty quickly. Even if they can;t get it to you that day, you'd probably have it for the following one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter