International First Timer

Lei

Mouseketeer
Dis Hi all! My name is Laila ("Hi Laila") and I'm currently planning a probably once-in-a-lifetime dream trip.

First of all, I'm an Indonesian, born raised, and living in Indonesia. Way too far from the US. I'm in my late 20s, living with my lovely DH and our baby son.

Like everyone here, my love for Disney is huge and my desire to visit WDW is even more enormous. Living in Asia, I've been to Tokyo and HK DL. I've also been to DLR (which I immensely loved), while I was in LA for work. But of course, my ultimate dream is to visit the mothership... The biggest Disney resort of all...

My last Disney trip was in 2008, and I'm now having the worst Disney withdrawal. I really need to visit Disney again soon. Preferably, of course, WDW, though it seems more like a dream than a possibility. I've been lurking at Disboards more often than usual this year, and it worsen my itch to go.

I've asked my husband if there's any chance for us to have a WDW family holiday this year. Or maybe next year? Or anytime in this millenium? The answer was, of course, negative!

DH doesn't enjoy themeparks nor Disney (blasphemy!), the cost is too much, and our son is too little (he's currently 11 mos) to make the trip worth it.

My heart shattered. On the upside, my husband understands how much I love Disney, so he believes a WDW family trip is not impossible, only he can't forsee it for now.

A few months later, an idea popped into my head - what if I go alone? I proposed the idea to my husband and he said, "Ah, that sounds better". I'm sure I fainted right then and there. Not sure. Too surprised to remember. OMG!!!

After cooling down myself, we talked about it, and agreed that I should go solo next year. To WDW. WDW only. For around 11 days. Can you see now how great my DH is? He's not a Disney lover, but since the start, he has always been a huge supporter of my dreams.

We considered the dates, counted the numbers, and agreed that it would be doable. I still have to slap myself to convince myself that this is actually, might be, happening. I don't even put my hopes too high, anticipating cancellation before next year. And if it happens, really, I would totally understand, being such a huge and ambitious trip this is.

And so here I am. I've been to other Disney parks, and I've lurked around here long enough, so I guess I'm not a total newbie. I understand the basic things (the different resorts, the major rides, ADRs, crowd calendars, EMHs, etc) but I will still have tons of questions for you guys! ANY tips for an international first-timer like me is welcomed!

Coming from such faraway country and on a tight budget, I sure have tons of homework to do. Wish me luck!

First things first: visa. Hello, US embassy. Sigh.

Hi Laila,

Hopefully you will be traveling with a friend. Traveling alone isn't that fun, to me anyway. Here are a few things I would suggest.

1. Don't plan anything on travel days into the park. Get your rest and be ready for the following day.
  2. Get the PhotoPass if you want some pictures. It is worth it.
  3. If you are going to drive, grab a car rental from Hotwire.. it is much cheaper. If you are going to be there for 11 days and ride the bus, you will probably spend the equivalent of 2 of your days strictly on the bus.
  4. Plan to go during a special event like MNSSHP, or MVMCP. It usually worth seeing something like this.
  5. Wishes Desserts - You can only book about 60 days in advance. Well worth it for the fireworks show.
  6. Camelbak Backpak - You can keep a camera, lip balm, sunscreen, money, and a poncho in these, along with water. ( We fill them with ice in the morning, so they stay cool all day, or by the time they are empty.)
  7. Break in a Good pair of Tennis shoes about a month before you come.

Those are a few to get you started.

Hi Laila,

1. Don't plan anything on travel days into the park. Get your rest and be ready for the following day.
  2. Get the PhotoPass if you want some pictures. It is worth it.
  3. If you are going to drive, grab a car rental from Hotwire.. it is much cheaper. If you are going to be there for 11 days and ride the bus, you will probably spend the equivalent of 2 of your days strictly on the bus.
  4. Plan to go during a special event like MNSSHP, or MVMCP. It usually worth seeing something like this.
  5. Wishes Desserts - You can only book about 60 days in advance. Well worth it for the fireworks show.
  6. Camelbak Backpak - You can keep a camera, lip balm, sunscreen, money, and a poncho in these, along with water. ( We fill them with ice in the morning, so they stay cool all day, or by the time they are empty.)
  7. Break in a Good pair of Tennis shoes about a month before you come.

Those are a few to get you started.

Hi! Sorry I just read this, thanks! Oh, and it turns out it's not going to be a solo trip, as my bestfriend has agreed to come with me. Yay!

Regarding your tips:

1. Yep! This is our plan. We may or may not have a nice dinner on our arrival day, this depends on our budget. We may just live on QS throughout.

2. Hmmm. I'm probably skipping this. Photography is my main hobby (after Disney, of course) and I got a decent camera. I might just rely on myself for pictures.

3. We're not going to drive, but thanks for the tip!

4. Not on our current plan, but will take it into consideration :)

5. Yes! I'm very interested in the Dessert Party. Love fireworks.

6. Got it. Will I need ponchos on mid November? Because I can't say I love them.

7. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Thanks!

Low chance in November, but there are a few showers. Always better to be prepared with a cheap poncho than being forced to buy the $10.00 Disney SaranWrap.

Photo Pass photographers will take pictures of you with your own camera; it's a good way to get pictures of yourself

Try to stretch the budget for at least one sit down dinner at a nice restaurant. California Grill ( if it has reopened), Narcoosee's, Citrico's, and Artist Point all have beautiful views and lovely dining.

I'd agree with all other tips and -
Bring two pairs of broken in shoes and switch off every day

Relax and have a wonderful, magical visit!

Photo Pass photographers will take pictures of you with your own camera; it's a good way to get pictures of yourself

I'm afraid I haven't "get" Photopass' system (let alone PP+) completely. I understand how to get ur pics taken and setting up an account, but how do you obtain the photos from the website, aside from ordering the CD?

I don't want a CD. Can I just download them? How much does it costs?

I'm afraid I haven't "get" Photopass' system (let alone PP+) completely. I understand how to get ur pics taken and setting up an account, but how do you obtain the photos from the website, aside from ordering the CD?

I don't want a CD. Can I just download them? How much does it costs?

You can get your pictures on a CD and online for download. You can let the photographers take pictures and decide if you want to keep them day by day if you don't want to buy into the photopass system. Same with ride photos. If you don't think you want to use the system, you can always buy an individual ride picture while you are there.

I will be using Photopass for the first time in a couple of weeks..I want as many photos with my 2 dear friends whom I will be traveling with..I will have my own camera as well, but, those will be of many different areas and things that the photopass photographer don't take...good luck planning and enjoy your special trip..BTW, what a great husband...my husband thinks going to Disney with my 2 friends is awesome:) I agree...

The 18th Epcot International Food & Wine Festival runs from September 27 to November 11, 2013 so maybe you'll catch the end of it. Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party is on the nights of November 8, 11, 14, 15, 17, 21, and 22.

Rain in November should be a low concern, there won't be the summer torrential rainstorms that Florida often gets. A small collapsible umbrella will get you to the nearest building.

Thanks everyone! Helpful as always.

And oh here's another question. Let's say I arrive on the 12th after 11pm, and checks in at the resort at 1am or later. Does this mean I'm checking in on the 13th? Sorry if it sounds stupid! :D Thanks.

Thanks everyone! Helpful as always.

And oh here's another question. Let's say I arrive on the 12th after 11pm, and checks in at the resort at 1am or later. Does this mean I'm checking in on the 13th? Sorry if it sounds stupid! :D Thanks.

Unfortunately no, you will need to pay for the night, even if you only sleep there for the "morning." Check-in time is the afternoon. You can check in early and go to the parks, but if you are there that early in the morning, it will count as the night before. Make sure you have reservations for the night before. You will want to sleep when you arrive, I am sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter