Interesting Experience Regarding Alcohol/Age Verification on the Fantasy

jAcKs_x0

Mouseketeer
I just returned from the most wonderful vacation on the 7 night Fantasy cruise. I had an amazing time with my college best friend, both of us cruising for the first time. What we found interesting (and sometimes downright rude) was the amount of cast members who neglected to believe that we were of drinking age. Not only were we questioned, but the comments that followed after really put us off. Things ranging from "where are your parents" to "are you old enough to be alone" to "you know you can get in a lot of trouble using your mom's KTTW card to buy alcohol", it became exhausting and just plain disrespectful. I'm 24 years old, very blessed and grateful that the hard work in my career has allowed me to be fortunate enough to pay for my entire cruise by myself, so why can't I receive the same respect as another self-paying adult? I'm fully aware that I look very young, especially without makeup (i.e. at the pool bar) and that I will "enjoy it when I'm older", but it doesn't help being reminded that my appearance is in line with someone who just graduated high school. In addition, in a slightly similar situation, I was checking in for the castaway 5K, when the cast member looked at my ticket and KTTW and mentioned that I don't need a photo ID. I shrugged it off, just assuming my ticket stated something that I didn't need one. As I sat down I noticed a sign that said all guests aged 18+ needed photo ID. So I went back to the cast member and asked why she felt I didn't need an ID and she said it was because I was under 18. I told her I was 24 and she said "Oh, actually, you do need one". I ran back up to my room in time to grab it before we were sent off the ship, but I was so frustrated considering my KTTW had an "A" for "Adult", and the cast member neglected to see it/simply judged me based on my appearance. In hindsight, I should have brought it to begin with, I was just under the impression that at Castaway the only form of ID needed was your KTTW, but now I know that's not the case. All in all, I mostly wanted to share my experience, and see if anyone else has ever had this experience before? Or if anyone has any advice/if it's worth it to reach out to someone from DCL to share our experience? I didn't leave this experience on the comment card, because we couldn't quite explain the situation with a 1-5 rating, so I figured I could reach out once we got home. FWIW, at WDW I've almost always been ID'd, but I know their policy is "looks under 30 must be ID'd", and yet have never received a comment (nor the disrespect) about my age. Thanks for listening, I appreciate any welcome advice!

I just returned from the most wonderful vacation on the 7 night Fantasy cruise. I had an amazing time with my college best friend, both of us cruising for the first time. What we found interesting (and sometimes downright rude) was the amount of cast members who neglected to believe that we were of drinking age. Not only were we questioned, but the comments that followed after really put us off. Things ranging from "where are your parents" to "are you old enough to be alone" to "you know you can get in a lot of trouble using your mom's KTTW card to buy alcohol", it became exhausting and just plain disrespectful. I'm 24 years old, very blessed and grateful that the hard work in my career has allowed me to be fortunate enough to pay for my entire cruise by myself, so why can't I receive the same respect as another self-paying adult? I'm fully aware that I look very young, especially without makeup (i.e. at the pool bar) and that I will "enjoy it when I'm older", but it doesn't help being reminded that my appearance is in line with someone who just graduated high school. In addition, in a slightly similar situation, I was checking in for the castaway 5K, when the cast member looked at my ticket and KTTW and mentioned that I don't need a photo ID. I shrugged it off, just assuming my ticket stated something that I didn't need one. As I sat down I noticed a sign that said all guests aged 18+ needed photo ID. So I went back to the cast member and asked why she felt I didn't need an ID and she said it was because I was under 18. I told her I was 24 and she said "Oh, actually, you do need one". I ran back up to my room in time to grab it before we were sent off the ship, but I was so frustrated considering my KTTW had an "A" for "Adult", and the cast member neglected to see it/simply judged me based on my appearance. In hindsight, I should have brought it to begin with, I was just under the impression that at Castaway the only form of ID needed was your KTTW, but now I know that's not the case. All in all, I mostly wanted to share my experience, and see if anyone else has ever had this experience before? Or if anyone has any advice/if it's worth it to reach out to someone from DCL to share our experience? I didn't leave this experience on the comment card, because we couldn't quite explain the situation with a 1-5 rating, so I figured I could reach out once we got home. FWIW, at WDW I've almost always been ID'd, but I know their policy is "looks under 30 must be ID'd", and yet have never received a comment (nor the disrespect) about my age. Thanks for listening, I appreciate any welcome advice!
I wouldn't let it bother me. I also had that "problem" when I was younger. As you age you'll find that it's mostly in fun. When you are just past that magical age, it gets old when people tell you that you don't look your age.

Now, if someone was really rude about "where'd you get that ID?" I'd bring it up with a supervisor/manager. In reality, you can't use someone else's ID onboard the ship as, when the KTTW card is swiped a photo comes up of the card holder. If you don't match that picture, then you're in trouble.

I used to work in a bar at wdw and the policy was ID everyone who looks under 40. Cast finds it as annoying as you do, trust me. It would be major drama if they get busted serving under age. And it could partially be joking but with some language barrier depending on the bartender. You are only 3 years past 21, I’d let it go.

the comments like "where are your parents" do seem rather unnecessary but it may be tough for staff who are told to be vigilant about who is served alcohol. i once was ID'ed even though I had my kids with me... I may look a bit young, but I didn't have these children when I was 12? I would consider emailing if you did find any particular comment to be really rude but otherwise I might let it go.

I was carded until nearly 30; my husband was not (I always wondered what they thought about him - did they think he liked younger girls). I had a friend who was flying on business several years ago. On her trip home she changed out of her business attire into jeans to be comfortable. She was a fairly tiny small-boned woman, barely 5' tall, and was very annoyed when asked by one of the flight attendants if there was an adult who was going to be accompanying her or at least meeting her at her destination. The flight attendant was quite embarrassed when my friend said that she was 28 years old.

There are so many people who ask about trying, or who do try, to slip their kids into the adult-only areas because they look older than they are. So when someone looks young, you have to realize that they are going to check you out. I don't think it's intended to be disrespectful as only you know that you are older - they don't. Sorry to tell you this, but you will "enjoy it when you get older" or at least appreciate it.

It's better than being asked if you have a senior's discount card when you're in your early 50's like my mother was or my sister being mistaken for my father's wife when she goes out with him. Believe me, you'll miss it when they no longer ask.

When I was 18, I looked to be about 12. I also am "blessed" to look younger than I am. I was carded at age 30. It doesn't help matters that I am under 5 feet tall.
I also agree that rudeness is uncalled for.

I also always looked younger than my age and was carded regularly well in to my 30's. While being carded never annoyed me, bartenders/waiters are just trying to do their jobs after all, the comments would have. Especially ones the implied I was doing something wrong.

Just wait until you're asked 'when you are due' when you've already given birth!

I know how it feels, as I had the same problem... carded when I was old enough to drink. I just took it as a compliment. What else can you do, as long as they believe you.

Last edited:
I'm 37 and was carded extensively on my Dream cruise last month. And they make it VERY clear that anytime you leave the ship - even on Castaway - if you're over 18, you need to take an ID. So your failure to comply is on you.

Also, paragraphs are your friend when you go on a rant like this. Makes it easier to read and discern what you're trying to say.

I was carded until my 30's and never felt it was a compliment. If the person carding me was professional then the process went quickly with a request for ID and a thank you afterward. I absolutely hated snide remarks, comments about whether or not I was using fake ID or any supposedly witty comment.

jAcKs_x0 I'm really sorry you were treated in a non-professional way when buying drinks on the Fantasy. The rude remarks were uncalled for. I suggest sending an email to Disney if only to make yourself feel heard.

I feel your pain. I used to get snide comments when I was carded too. It's irritating and I don't miss it.

It's a simple thing to check someone's ID without being rude about it and that's what should have happened.

Maybe they thought they were being social? A big part of what they do is to attempt to engage the customer, not just because it's Disney but since they want tips. There are definitely some people that are better at it than others - sounds like the ones you got are really bad at it. My other thought is maybe it's a culture thing? Perhaps it's very complimentary in their country to comment about how young you look? Just a couple of thoughts that I had - regardless, I'm sorry that it negatively impacted your vacation!!

I'm 37 and was carded extensively on my Dream cruise last month. And they make it VERY clear that anytime you leave the ship - even on Castaway - if you're over 18, you need to take an ID. So your failure to comply is on you.

That depends on the ship. We were actually told upon boarding that we didn't need anything for the rest of the cruise except our KTTW and nothing was mentioned about Castaway Cay. We got on and off just fine without our IDs. First I'm hearing we needed them. So it may be a rule, but it's not universally made very clear.

I'm in the camp that carding is one thing, and some remarks are harmless, but when it gets into accusing you of breaking the rules or being dishonest, I'd report it. Just as a 'the crew could stand reminding on what is and is not appropriate.'

They are not being rude, they are just being careful. I WAS one of those people and being under 5ft tall, made it even worse. I would have 2 of my kids in tow ALONG with my husband and still be carded and then the ID would be examined. I got used to it and never found it to be a problem as annoying as it could be. Nearing 40 now and I can look back and laugh at how I could think something like that could be even considered annoying! LOL

To me, it sounds like the cast members were just trying to engage in some playful banter. Maybe they thought you looked like a fun person that would be willing to engage back with them? I'm not reading anything in your initial commentary that seems horrible to me, maybe slightly annoying, but nothing that I would consider worthy of a complaint to Disney.

We were recently on the Fantasy in April. My family got confused and didn't show up to one of the character meet and greets like I thought they would. I was holding our place in line and ended up having to let many people go ahead of me, until I finally gave up and left the line. While all of this was happening, I was talking with the photographer and the other guests around me. They were all kidding me about the situation. After that, each time we saw that photographer, he'd say "Ahh, the XXXX family...and they're ALL here." It was cute for the first few times, but it did get a little old. However, I didn't let it get to me and actually viewed it as a compliment that he felt comfortable enough around us to "tease" us about mishap we'd had a few days prior.

The last time I was carded I was 40 in Publix when I was buying beer for my husband. :) It was absolutely hilarious and it made my day. I had my two kids with me and I do tend to look pretty young and I vertically challenged so I think that adds to it. I am 51 now and though I still look pretty young, I have not had anyone ask for ID when I buy alcohol anywhere. lol

It is a bummer though that the questioning would be so extensive especially when your KTTWC is coded with the proper information.

As a side note, on CC and any port for that matter that I have visited since 2013, they require that adults bring their KTTWC and ID to leave and get back on the ship. I have also started having my two kids (they are 16 and 15) bring their ID's and KTTWC's just in case so we don't have to go back to the ship and get them. It is noted on the Navigator and on the announcements at the ports that adults will need this.

Carry both your KTTW and ID and hand them both over regardless of if it is asked for. That's what I would do. In the future also consider making a stop to guest services on the ship. They can do some remediation if warranted.

I hope that you at least send the email now. And yes, I know the plight of looking young. My neighbors 40 year old son was visiting last week and asked what I wanted to go to college for :sad2:. Never mind I completed my Masters degree in 2012! Poor guy was surprised to say the least.

I used to look young for my age. I think I still do, but I am fat (and older) now so I don't get carded as much.

I understand them not needing the extra commentary around asking for ID. Just ask for it or don't and go on with the transaction. On our first meal on our honeymoon, I was 20 (nearly 21) and DH was 22...and the waitress just took away the drink menus and said "you won't be needing these" after looking at us. It felt really insulting. And even when I was about your age OP (and married and supporting myself), I would have people address my mother-in-law like she was in charge of me.

I had an experience in WDW that was uncomfortable in the opposite way. I am in my mid-30s so I am still asked for ID sometimes, so when a waiter at Narcoossee's asked me for ID, I just went to get it out (and, no, I don't think I look 20 years old, but I thought maybe I look 29 or maybe he was trying to pay me a compliment). Then he said something like "no, I don't need to see it, I was just joking."

Anyhow, my point is. I don't understand bartenders/servers need to make it an issue. Just ask for it or don't. Don't talk about the person's age or appearance otherwise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter