Interesting call to Disney Dinning

kelmac284

Lover of all things Disney since 1975
I just called them cuz I had a few questions about our Christmas week trip.

We are going just for one day on Dec 29th and I was a bit worried about making ps for happiest birthdays if we somehow couldn't get in due to the park closing for capacity. (I also was worried about that for our veteran's day trip next month). Well the cast member told me (rudely I might add) that Disney NEVER closes. When I questioned her about it she said it has only maybe shut down twice ever and she said that was during the 50th. Now maybe she misunderstood me but I meant closed to new people coming in. ie at capacity so they stop letting in new people.

I have heard on here many times that they have stopped letting people go in. So do you think she just misunderstood me?

Also we are thinking about doing a character breakfast and was wondering what you recommend.

My daughter is turning 7 that weekend so I wanted to do something fun. I have done Ariel's many times and I did Goofy's kitchen. What do you think about PCH or GC. What characters are usually at those? And do you think it would be worth it or do you think since we only have one day we should just grab a quick breakfast and get in the park as soon as it opens cuz it will probably be packed!

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

I think since you only have one very busy day that you should grab a quick breakfast and make the most of it. UNLESS a character breakfast is your daughter's absolute favorite thing to do and she would have her heart set on it, I would skip it for that trip and do one on your Nov. trip!

Andrea

I think the CM misunderstood about the park closing. It will close if it reaches capacity. I think in those situations they only let Disney hotel guests in. I don't know how often that happens, but it can.

I would call back the general information line and ask someone else.

Thanks you are probably right. Although I think she would LOVE the Character breakfast probably we would be better off getting there when it opens and doing as much as possible before it is a madhouse.

And Disneyprincess I think you are right. I think she thought I meant closed period not closed to new guests.

Oh well that is probably another reason to just get in there early so we get in BEFORE they might close the gates.

Thanks.

Generally when it closes to capacity it is not first thing in the morning. If you are planning on spending the day there if you get there by 10 or 11 I would expect you would not have a problem. Once they reach a certain level they will stop selling tickets before they stop letting people in at all. So if DL is filling up they will only sell DCA tickets. If you're planning on spending the day, start at DL and stay there until after the happiest birthdays.

We have been there when they closed the gates before just last year at Thanksgiving! It happened right around 10:30 so I suggest you get into the park before that. When we want to do a character meal during the busy times, we go to the Plaza Inn. They have a lot of characters like Pooh and Friends, Fairy Godmother, Chip and Dale, Minnie, Capt Hook and sometimes Alice in wonderland crew.

If it is an early entry day, we have a light breakfast in the hotel while getting dressed in the morning and then hit all the fantasyland rides first thing. Then we go over to the plaza inn around 9:30 and do the breakfast. This works out great!

We never leave DL if there is a chance of the gates closing because if the firemarshall closes the gates, nobody gets in, not even hotel guests! We heard about a mom running to the car to get a sweater for her daughter and they would not let her back in even though her whole family was in!! Take no chances if it is that busy.

Both days that we saw the park close(Thanksgiving and the next day), they had a giant electric board right at the security gate by the shuttle bus drop off. When we entered, it said "DL is very full today" and we knew right then, there would be no leaving the park until we were done!! I did hear that they let people in again around 3 both days though but in the evening, the gates were closed again.

If you want to do the bday celebration, you just make PS/ressies like you would do for any restaurant. The earliest they do it is 2pm I think. Each person gets a little cake and some icing/topping to decorate it and they sing and parade around with Mickey/Minnie coming at the end for pictures. For $10/person, it is a great photo opportunity that avoids standing in the long line at Mickey's house in toontown!

If you only have one day, I would not waste the time on either place though. The Minnie and Friends breakfast at the Plaza Inn takes at least 1 hour and the bday party is close to 45 minutes as well, maybe 30 at the least. My kids would rather grab something fast to eat and do as many attractions as they could than spend time in any restaurant!

PCH in PP has Lilo and Stitch breakfast and Storytellers has Chip and Dale, the bears from the movie Brother bear and a gorilla(sorry can't remember his name) Both are nice but IMHO, not as good as Goofys. I would not waste time at either place having only one day.

You can stop at city hall on the way in and get her a bday sticker. All the CMs will wish her happy birthday and unless she is really shy, she will love the special treatment! Have fun! My dd will turn 7 at DL too in November and is so excited to be going to DL for her bday! We have a lot more time though so we are trying to fit it all in-lol!

We did exactly what Fidoprincess suggested during our trip in Sept. We didn't want to leave the park, so scheduled a character breakfast at the Plaza Inn with Minnie and her friends. We made reservations for 10:10 which gave us an hour in Fantasyland (an EE day) and then an easy walk over for breakfast. The meal was great and most all the characters Fidoprincess mentioned were there. They spent a lot of time at each table. Would strongly recommend it!
Good Luck on your planning!

I agree with others, if a character meal is important (and to my family they are, esp. on a birthday) make a Plaza Inn reservation. If you get there at opening, which will likely be very early on that day during Christmas week, you will be ready for a break. Make as late of one as possible and then it can really be lunch. You have to eat sometime and even the counter service places are mobbed when its crowded. If you do this meal you can do the whole character thing then and not wait in lines in the park. Plaza Inn has lots of characters and is very convenient. And Disneyland absolutely closes to capacity. Many of the Disney Dining cm's are not very in the know about the parks themselves. I know for a fact that Disneyland closed to capacity the first weekend in December last year because I remember a long thread about that. And that wasn't even Christmas week. So be careful about leaving, even to go over to DCA. If you get there at opening, ride rides in the morning then you can eat, do shows and use fastpasses for later in the day. They also have a birthday party at the Plaza Inn in the afternoons that is fun. We did that for my daughter's 8th. Its about $10 per person, everyone gets to make their own little cake and Mickey and Minnie make a brief appearance (no autographs, just photos). That might be an option too.

We just went (late September), and were able to do a character breakfast BEFORE the park opened - No wasted park time! We did the Lilo & Stitch breakfast, I believe the PS was 8:00am, and the park opened at 10:00am. Someone advised allowing 1.5 hours for the breakfast, and that was perfect. We were actually there a little over an hour, but I think because it was so early, we had eaten, met all the characters and played the the Island Hopping game. Had a chance to run back to the DLH real quick for some forgotten items (and changing a few syrupy shirts) before heading to the park for opening. :thumbsup2

Not sure what the hours will be like when you go, but that may be a good option for you as well. Just make sure that if you are eligible for Early Entry, you make your PS for a non-EE day!

Thanks so much everyone. We have decided based on you all and just talking that we will blow off the character breakfast. The main reason for going for the day was to celebrate her birthday and I am not so worried about rides. WE are going for 3 days over veterans day and then back again in February for president's week (yes we have AP's and yes we are going during the kids school breaks LOL).

So if we don't get to do a lot of rides I am not too worried. Mainly I just wanted her to get a birthday button, do the happiest birthday deal and just be there to enjoy the holiday decorations and hopefully fireworks.

Thanks so much everyone!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter