Interesting bridal articles

purplegirl247

<font color=purple>I joined for reason A<br><font
Slate (an online magazine) published a series of articles on weddings, everything from the engagement ring's history to what you should register for to how to deal with a crazy bride (present company excepted, of course!).

Thought some of you brides might find it interesting: http://www.slate.com/id/2167723/device/html40/workarea/3/ (the one by Emily Yoffe is the Bridezilla one and is pretty funny)

Enjoy! :thumbsup2

Two bits from the engagement ring article...

For those who aren't bothered by the finer points of gender equity, an engagement ring clearly makes a claim about the status of a woman's sexual currency. It's a big, shiny NO TRESPASSING sign, stating that the woman wearing it has been bought and paid for, while her beau is out there sign-free and all too easily trespassable, until the wedding.

That's what my big, fake, shiny engagement ring was. It was a "hey look at this! Don't hit on me!" sign. However... we both had engagement rings, so my "beau" wasn't exactly out there sign-free.

Women are collectively attached to the status a ring bestows on them; otherwise more would demand some equal sign of commitment from their husbands. Say, a tattoo. For two. Now there's an idea.

We did that!

Then again, I'm not exactly in a position to comment on gender inequality in a marriage.

I thought the engagement ring article was interesting because I was one of those girls initially caught up in wanting a big, fat diamond because "that's the way things are done"! :laughing: I have a confession: I don't like diamonds. I think they look best in silver or white gold, and I don't wear either. I ended up with amethysts set to look like a Mickey head and though I got a few strange looks, I didn't mind. :)

Throughout the wedding process, I had to stop and think: "Am I doing this because *I* want it or because I think it's expected?"

Lillielil, I think the tattoo idea is great, plus I love your avatar with the two of you in Mickey ears. Adorable!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter