Interesting Article-Amid the economic slump, Disney Co. rethinks Adventures By Disney

that was interesting, thanks for posting. spin, spin, spin...

We spent yesterday afternoon going through pictures from our last two Adventures and getting the warm fuzzies for ABD. We may end up taking one in 2010 after all....

that was interesting, thanks for posting. spin, spin, spin...

We spent yesterday afternoon going through pictures from our last two Adventures and getting the warm fuzzies for ABD. We may end up taking one in 2010 after all....

And the Fever Begins!!

Thanks for posting.
As much as I really really want to take an ABD, I fell off my chair when I priced the Southwest Splendor one for 2 adults and 2 kids. Over $10K!!!
We'll continue to do our WDW and DCL trips but wish ABD can be more affordable.

The story points out that disney cut the number of trips offered to each location which is a good thing. I think (hope) it will result in few cancellations. I also think they need to offer at least one adults only trip for each itinearary.

I do, too. I was looking at Galapagos and South Africa. Both dropped off my list when I realized they had eliminated the adults-only tours for those itineraries.

Thanks for posting this article Patricia. It did remind me that Disney AbD is so new at this group kind of touring that it is only natural that they step back after the first few years and adjust offerings and dates. Couple their newness in the land guided tour market with the economy slide, it's no wonder they've had to make some major changes. Probably none of us know what 'birthing' pains the other tour companies like Tauck went through years ago. Tauck supposedly started in 1925 so they went through a depression also. It would be interesting to see their sales during that time frame and compare.

I do, too. I was looking at Galapagos and South Africa. Both dropped off my list when I realized they had eliminated the adults-only tours for those itineraries.

Maybe you should call ABD and let them know your interest in an adults only trip and your potential vacation date. Sounds like they would add another trip if there were sufficient interest. From a personal planning perspective that is part of the problem with ABD's strategy. If you put yourself on a waiting list for a trip that hasn't been scheduled yet, how long will you have to wait before you find out if there is enough interest? But I have to agree that scheduling fewer trips and avoiding a repeat of the cancellation debacle is a wise strategy. It also allows them not to offer any discounts at this time. Since the supply is lower, they can wait and see what the demand is at the current prices and then raise the price or offer discounts as the market dictates. Seems like a reasonable approach. But I think they should have made more of an effort to retain their previous clients. I would have liked to have remained a loyal customer, but instead I'll be shopping around from now on.

Interesting..thanks. When Mr. Holz did his Cruise Line spiel at the Expo he talked about incorporating Adventure style excusions with a cruise...they may be thinking of going in that direction some.

Thanks for posting.
As much as I really really want to take an ABD, I fell off my chair when I priced the Southwest Splendor one for 2 adults and 2 kids. Over $10K!!!
And that doesn't even include airfare! :scared1:

I would love to take an ABD trip and I'm sure the service you get on them is top-notch, but the price is... prohibitive, for me. I've also traveled a good bit in the US & Europe, both on my own and with another tour company, so I know I can have a good trip for a lot less money, even if it's missing the Disney touch.

Thanks for posting.

That does sound a bit extreme for the southwestern United States. I always figured that a big part of what the clients were paying for on packaged tours was security while far from home, somewhere they don't speak the language and don't know what customs they could unwittingly violate and make enemies among the local citizens. Disney, in particular, could be expected to have some knowledge of diplomacy and warn their guests what it is best not to do in order to be good guests in a foreign culture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter