Inspired by the TIPFLATION thread, is this a new thing coming?

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
In researching Duluth, Minnesota (we have a 2-week camping trip planned and will spend a week in Duluth) I’m finding some restaurants are adding new fees. 5% of the bill “for the kitchen staff.” One restaurant adding a whopping 20% “fair wage charge” for the employees, yet they still want you to tip your server! I am a retired waitress and I feel this is ridiculous. Haven’t seen this in Michigan, yet…and really hope I don’t. We will not be patronizing the restaurants who tack on extra fees like this. What do the rest of you think about these added charges?

With the high prices of food costs these days it’s getting kind of expensive to eat in restaurants, I wouldn’t be surprised if restaurants that have these new charges go out of business sooner rather than later.

Haven't experienced it, but I've heard about it. I think people understand the high price of food, and most folks are happy to tip servers (especially when they do a good job.) But start tacking on additional fees? For me, that's a bridge too far. But restaurants don't need me anyway, we go out to eat about 3 or 4 times a year (plus the times at WDW)

Looks like it's acceptable and based on laws of the state. The reasons all sound reasonable to me.

Here is an explanation from a Duluth, Minnesota restaurant's website-

https://www.sookiandmimi.com/surcharge/

why a surcharge

we're passionate about cultivating a rich and stable work experience that provides fair and equitable wages and benefits for our entire team. to achieve this, we utilize a no-tipping model which adds a percentage of the total to each guest bill as a surcharge. one hundred percent of the amount generated by the surcharge goes towards employee wages.

how it supports us

the no-tipping surcharge model supports the long-term health of our team, business and community in the following ways.

promotes well-being

a surcharge allows us to eliminate the tipped vs non-tipped employee structure. by taking full responsibility for aligning compensation with job expectations and performance for all team members, we increase stability, transparency, trust, and can offer clearer paths for employee development.

creates equity

a surcharge enables us to elevate wages for everyone and achieve equity in compensation for culinary, hospitality and leadership roles.

aligns with our values

we recognize the problematic roots of tipping and how it contributes to present-day issues in the hospitality industry; removing tipping at our restaurants is a direct expression of our values.

frequently asked questions

where does the surcharge go?
one hundred percent of the surcharge goes to pay our team, which covers less than half of our labor expenses. the surcharge is not broken up and redistributed to other business initiatives or investments.

why don’t you offer a tip line on guest checks?
we took a big step away from tipping by changing our compensation model and offering a complete, liveable hourly wage for our entire team. adding a tip line sends mixed messages to our team and guests and its presence signals that tipping is still an expectation. by eliminating it, we’re seeking to resolve the conflict that surfaces when there is pressure to give or receive a tip.

can i still tip if i want to?
tipping at our restaurant isn’t necessary. we recognize that some guests may still want to do so because it feels like an important part of their dining experience; if you wish to tip, please write it in on your credit card slip or leave cash on the table.

why not just increase your prices?
the surcharge is specifically tied to our labor costs, not food, and we feel that placing it on top of your bill is the most transparent place to assign that expense.

what’s the reasoning behind the legal language on your menu and website?
simply put: we’re following the law. minnesota state law requires we notify guests of obligatory surcharges with clear and conspicuous notice. the language on our menu and website is taken verbatim from state law and must be printed as is. the language is present to alert you of the surcharge and to protect us against claims of hidden fees and unauthorized charges. our legal statement is as follows:

we add an 18% (takeaway) or 21% (dine-in) surcharge to each order. pursuant to Minnesota statute section 177.23, subdivision 9, this charge is not a gratuity for employee service.

are all vestalia hospitality restaurants in a no-tipping surcharge model?

yes, all of our restaurants (pizzeria lola, hello pizza, young joni) follow this model. the percentage and details vary slightly based on each restaurant’s service style and needs.

if you have questions or want to know more please email us at hello@sookiandmimi.com.

From Duluth restaurant New Scenic Cafe

Www.newsceniccafe.com
Whether taking your order, cooking your food, serving your beverage, or washing dishes, everyone on our team works hard to ensure you have a great experience. All checks include a 20% 'Fair Wage Share' service charge in support of our commitment to provide a professional living wage for all team members and operate a sustainable business. Pursuant to MN Statute Section 177.23, Subd. 9, this charge is not a gratuity for employee service.

Additional gratuities are completely optional and not expected, but should you wish to leave a tip dedicated to your server, the option to do so will remain available on the credit card receipt.

From PierB.
A 5% Kitchen Team Service Charge will be added to all food purchases. This charge is 100% re-distributed to the Kitchen staff who prepared your meal.
This charge is not a gratuity.

From TheBoatClub restaurant and bar

20% service charge may be added to groups of 7 or more guests.

We have implemented a 2% Restaurant Surcharge to our dining checks. This is not a way to increase profits, but instead a way to provide fair, equitable wages for our staff while maintaining a sustainable business model. We are seeing dramatic increases in the cost and delivery of goods, credit card processing, utilities, and all restaurant wages. We can only raise prices on our menu items so much before we must find other ways to remain in business. Therefore, we must implement this business strategy. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out directly to us at boatclub@boatclubrestaurant.com. Thank you, and we sincerely appreciate your business.

Last edited:
In researching Duluth, Minnesota (we have a 2-week camping trip planned and will spend a week in Duluth) I’m finding some restaurants are adding new fees. 5% of the bill “for the kitchen staff.” One restaurant adding a whopping 20% “fair wage charge” for the employees, yet they still want you to tip your server! I am a retired waitress and I feel this is ridiculous. Haven’t seen this in Michigan, yet…and really hope I don’t. We will not be patronizing the restaurants who tack on extra fees like this. What do the rest of you think about these added charges?

With the high prices of food costs these days it’s getting kind of expensive to eat in restaurants, I wouldn’t be surprised if restaurants that have these new charges go out of business sooner rather than later.

I only know of 1 local restaurant that has a charge for the kitchen staff. It’s $1 per person, listed in small print on the menu. It does say speak to your server to have the charge removed. We very rarely go there but it is a very popular place that’s been in business since the late 60s. I guess it saves the servers from sharing their tips?

I certainly wouldn’t be tipping on top of that 20% fair wage charge. Wonder if the place is popular or struggling.

I have heard of restaurants in San Francisco adding a "living wage" surcharge due. That because the city has their own minimum wage, higher than the state minimum wage of $15.50 an hour. It increases on July 1 to $18.07 an hour. There is no lower minimum wage allowed for tipped jobs.
Also, some businesses started adding a "sick leave" surcharge in 2015 when California mandated companies offer paid sick leave.

Maybe it’s the first step towards paying serving staff a liveable wage and eliminate tipping altogether. Price of meal goes up, but tipping is eliminated so likely no huge jump in prices. If service is exemplary, feel free to tip a couple of bucks on top.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter