Input/tips on travelling to DW with a type 1 diabetic child?

discookiemonsta

Mouseketeer
This will be our first time travelling to DW with our child since her type 1 diabetes diagnosis.

Anyone who has experience with this, I'd love to hear your experiences, tips, input etc.

TIA

Hi
sorry no experience of Disney and Type one diabetes yet. My DS was diagnosed about a month after we returned from our last vacation to Disney.
I have found this website really interesting http://www.allearsnet.com/pl/diabetes.htm Hope the link works - I never know if I get links to work properly :confused3 . Lots of information and links about Disney and type one diabetes.

:wave2:

There are several people who post here quite often and have children with Type 1 diabetes.
A couple of things that might be helpful to people answering would be the age of the child and whether or not she is on a pump (which I'm guessing she might not be if it's a real new diagnosis).

Also, there is some information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread that might be helpful to you. In post #3 of that thread there are links to some past threads about diabetes that contain a lot of hints.

The link that Sad gave to Disney with Type 1 Diabetes is an excellent place to start. The folks who wrote that are spot on with many good tips.

A few questions:

When is your trip?
How long has it been since your child's diagnosis?

I think if your child has been dx'd for awhile then it is a much different situation than if you are newly dx'd. Also if you are going during the hot months (summer especially) then you might find the heat can really do a number on your type 1 child - causing unexpected lows (or highs) - we always have more trouble in the heat one way or the other. For cooler months that isn't so bad. All of the walking can lead to unexpected lows too - we tend to stroller William (he is 6 now) between the attractions just to keep some of the exercise factor out of it if the heat is bad.

Post #3 of the FAQ has some links to old threads about diabetes which you might find helpful. Also review the information for the Guest Assistance card (GAC). A newly dx'd preschool child in the heat of the summer - especially if you are on NPH - might find this to be a great deal of help. If you have questions about the GAC and type 1 I'm happy to answer them directly if you can PM or email me.

Another very useful tip is a good touring plan unless you vacation so often to WDW you already know it like the back of your hand.;) I really like Tour Guide Mike - it is a site you pay to use - cost is similar to a guide book. His advice is very helpful in avoiding the long lines and heat of the day, etc. If you go to the Theme Park board here which he sponsors there is a link there to a discount for him.

I also HIGHLY recommend the Children With Diabetes website - chat rooms and forums there are top notch: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com They hold an annual family conference for type 1 kids and their families every July in Orlando - every other year they hold it at Coronado Springs Resort at WDW. Here is a link to their upcoming conferences: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/ People on the forums also discuss doing Disney with type 1.

My younger son William is 6 yrs old now - dx'd when he was 26 months old and started pumping at 32 months old with Animas. We've been to WDW lots of times and on a Disney cruise once since then. I'm happy to answer any questions.:thumbsup2

Our six year old son is a type 1 and we went to WDW for four days in mid-February. It wasn't until we returned home from the trip that I learned (from another parent of a type 1) that we should've went to Guest Services upon our arrival at WDW and requested a medical pass (it won't get you on the rides/attractions any faster, but it can come in handy). I'm still learning about the medical pass and I'm sure another poster can give you better information.

Carry plenty of snacks and juice boxes/water. We stopped often to check DS's blood sugar and to let him have a snack. My DS ran high the first few days (due to much excitement - his sugar is always high in excitable/new situations). He also kept damaging his sites (he's on the Deltec Cozmo insulin pump) - I think this was due to the way he was sitting on some rides. Carry plently of extra infusion sets with you.

Any specifics, please just ask! :) Have a wonderful time!

"One is that if he/she may need access to the medications while he is in one of the parks they will store it at First Aid in a refrigerator at no charge. If it is injectible they will also provide a private area for doing the injection(s) and have sharps containers for disposal of the needles."

I found this on another thread.

Our six year old son is a type 1 and we went to WDW for four days in mid-February. It wasn't until we returned home from the trip that I learned (from another parent of a type 1) that we should've went to Guest Services upon our arrival at WDW and requested a medical pass (it won't get you on the rides/attractions any faster, but it can come in handy). I'm still learning about the medical pass and I'm sure another poster can give you better information.
What that parent called a "Medical Pass" is actually called a Guest Assistance Card (we abbreviate it as GAC to avoid typing it out all the time).
It isn't really a pass (as mentioned, it is not meant to get you on attractions any faster), but it is meant to provide assistance for needs related to a disability (based on needs, not the diagnosis). To request one, go to Guest Relations and explain your/your child' needs.
There is a section about GACs in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board.

Just jumping in to say you have been given great advice so far. We visited WDW in August with our son (6 years) who has type 1. DS is also on MDI (Humalog/NPH a.m. and Humalog/Lantus p.m.) We did very well but we also planned very well. We used TGM to plan our days, and spent the heat of the day in the pool or our room. Things went so well for us that we never wound up needing the GAC. Not to say you shouldn't get it, but just to show you how well it can go.

To be honest, I was extremely worried before our trip. DS is very effected by heat (his numbers plummet) and I was sure I would spend my whole vacation worrying. In fact that could not have been farther from the truth.

In short, I would recommend...

• TGM
• http://www.allearsnet.com/pl/diabetes.htm
• the info you can find here on the DIS boards

Have a great trip!
Daneen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter