Information overload---HELP!

AutumneB

Earning My Ears
So I have decided I am going to bite the bullet and purchase a DVC membership off of the resale market. Here's my dilemma: I can't decide on a home resort. So I would love to hear your thoughts and pros/cons.

Here's some more info: I'm a single gal, so would most likely only ever need a studio or 1 bedroom max if I bring friends. I'm only looking to get 75-80 points--100 absolute max.

The resorts I'm torn between are: AKL, OKW, BWV, and SSR. I would be going almost exclusively in "off" times, but is it still hard to get a reservation at resorts other than your home during those times? Oh and size of the resort doesn't matter to me.

Any thoughts you can share I would appreciate......I've been to all of the resorts except SSR but have never been able to stay at any of them! TIA! :dance3:

It's really a tough choice and one you need to make based on your own priorities. We ultimately went with AKV over SSR for a few reasons. I liked the option of having value rooms and concierge available and it sounds like you can only get those rooms using the 11 mo home resort booking advantage. Also, I wanted my home resort to be somewhere with great theming that wowed me. I found it hard to beat AKV in this category. Lastly we're a young family and we really wanted the longer contract life so even though we adore BCV, BWV and VWL we struck those off the list bc of the 2042 end date. Today is day 28 of ROFR for us and we're bursting at the seams waiting to get official word on whether we pass pixiedust:

So I have decided I am going to bite the bullet and purchase a DVC membership off of the resale market. Here's my dilemma: I can't decide on a home resort. So I would love to hear your thoughts and pros/cons.

Here's some more info: I'm a single gal, so would most likely only ever need a studio or 1 bedroom max if I bring friends. I'm only looking to get 75-80 points--100 absolute max.

The resorts I'm torn between are: AKL, OKW, BWV, and SSR. I would be going almost exclusively in "off" times, but is it still hard to get a reservation at resorts other than your home during those times? Oh and size of the resort doesn't matter to me.

Any thoughts you can share I would appreciate......I've been to all of the resorts except SSR but have never been able to stay at any of them! TIA! :dance3:
The most important thing to realize is that "off" times are not the same for DVC. Summer is an "off" time. The first week of December is the most difficult to book. What do you consider to be "off" times?

My opinion:
Buy AKV is you need the cheapest "value" room category every time.
Buy OKW if you need low-point cost for 1 and 2 bedrooms.
Buy BWV if you need to be walking distance to Epcot.
Buy SSR if you don't "need" any of those.

My opinion:

I totally agree with this whole list but want to add that BWV has standard views that are a great value too.

They are all 4 fairly easy to get a 7 months except for AKV value and BWV standard. You will need home resort advantage for those.

I stress that what your vacation style is like now, might not be the same in 5 or 10 years. We own moderate to small contracts at 4 different resorts, starting with a SSR 150 pt contract in 2005. We do not regret our purchase there. We used our SSR points to stay there and then other resort (followed by purchasing points at some.) We love the low MF's of SSR.:goodvibes Our other contracts are based on falling in love with those resort and really wanting 11 month booking advantage.

I do encourage the "buy where you want to stay". Research, research and Good Luck.

"Buy where you want to stay" is wonderful advice.
The problem is, though, that you don't really know that until you have stayed at them all 2 or 3 or more times. They are all fabulous the first time, so just renting points to try it out once before commiting doesn't reveal the whole picture.
The 11 month advantage can be very important to getting what you want, where you want when you want, which is why so many owners own more that one home resort. See drusba's DVC availability patterns breakdown to help inform you on that.
Now, to answer your question. I LOVE AKV. It is my absolute favorite resort! But many others don't care for it. They think it is too far away, they don't like the buses, they feel isolated.
As a young single, you might really look hard at BWV. The 11 month advantage for standard view studios is very important, and the point cost looks like what you want. You can walk to 2 parks, and there is a lot going on in that area.\
Good luck with you decision.:flower3:

I have to add: You really aren't joining a club, you are buying a real estate timeshare. Many misunderstand that, and expect to be given white glove treatment and Disney to really appreciate the thousands and thousands of dollars they have spent. They really think they are special, or should be treated as if they are special because they bought DVC. Then they are sadly disillusioned. Disney is milking this cash cow for all it is worth, which is all it is now. It was more when it started, but is not anymore.

How awesome. I have just been going through the process myself for the first time.

My initial most important factor was cost because my goal is to have a lifestyle change. I want to become a twice a year vacation person! So I thought SSR all the way because of low buy in cost and low maintenance fees. Plus I've stayed there and liked the resort. No kids so a quiet pool and proximity to restaurants, shopping, social life matters. DD is walkable from SSR which is why it won out over OKW. I figured I could always book BWV or BCV when I wanted to be near Epcot.

But then I started reading the boards and realized that the home resort booking advantage would really matter because I'm a November vacationer so if I ever want to stay in the Epcot area for Food & Wine Festival or later in the year I might not be able to get anything in my target points range. I could probably always get into SSR at seven months. If you google 'dvc peak' you'll find info about when dvc resorts are busiest. Contract end doesn't matter as much to me since I'm older.

So I ultimately made my offer for BWV. Now I'm entering ROFR sweating out whether the Mouse will grab my contract. If so I don't know if I'll try for BWV again or just assume its fate telling me I belong at SSR. Hopefully the fact that the UY is Sep but contract has less than half it's 2014 pts will be undesirable . :)

We have stayed at all 4 of the resorts you mentioned, so here is my take on them

SSR, no appeal for me personally...its big, close to DTD if thats a draw, beautiful resort, just too big for my tastes

OKW, love this resort, though the studios remind me more of a standard hotel room than other DVC resort studios, but love the 1 bedrooms for sheer size alone. OKW is peaceful and relaxing, great place to just hang out. Close proximity to DTD if thats a draw.

AKL, love the theming of the resort, but it is huge!! Very long hallways. Takes a little longer to get to the other 3 parks because of its location than other DVC resorts.

BWV, the close proximity to Epcot and Studios(walking or boat)are big draws for this resort, plus the amenities of the resort in addition to Yacht and Beach Club resorts and Swan and Dolphin gives a big advantage over the others mentioned for me. And if you have any hopes of being near Epcot during Food and Wine fest, this is a good choice.

So, in this order would be my thoughts...BWV, OKW, AKL and SSR
Good luck in your decision:goodvibes

A big consideration for us is the maintenance fees. They will only increase and I believe SSR has the lowest ones out of the resorts you mentioned. If you are traveling during off times and have flexibility about when/where you stay, then you'll have no trouble booking at the 7 month mark. This gives your "home resort" less of an advantge for you, since you won't NEED the 11 month advantage.

When people pick those four resorts, its often because they look at the point charts and see cheap rooms compared to - say BLT or BCV or VGF.

At OKW and SSR all the rooms are cheaper, and both resorts are fairly easy to book at seven months.

At VAKL the cheapest rooms are almost never available at seven months - no matter when you travel - the deadest times of year you'd be fortunate to get those rooms at seven months. The standard rooms are a little easier to get - but if you are looking at the value charts - sometimes they book up right at eleven months and people calling right when the window opens can't get them.

At BWV only about 20% of the rooms are standard view. Most of the year those book up before the seven month window - with availability here and there for a night or two - or you might get lucky - once the seven month window opens, a LOT of owners from other resorts are competing for any remaining rooms. Studios tend to go first. So if you want those rooms, you'll want to own there.

Note as was said above - busy DVC times are NOT necessarily busy Disney times. DVCers are connoisseurs of bargains, low crowds and good weather (although Christmas is popular as well, its really the exception - the rest of the DVC busy times are times when you aren't shoulder to shoulder in the MK, the point charts are reasonable, and the weather is nice).

A big consideration for us is the maintenance fees. They will only increase and I believe SSR has the lowest ones out of the resorts you mentioned. If you are traveling during off times and have flexibility about when/where you stay, then you'll have no trouble booking at the 7 month mark. This gives your "home resort" less of an advantge for you, since you won't NEED the 11 month advantage.

Basically I agree with this wholeheartedly. That said we do own points at BLT and BCV and have the 11 month advantage if we need it......but somehow we still prefer SSR and end up there often, sometimes out of necessity but mostly out of choice.

Go where you heart tells you and if it also saves you $ that's a win-win.

So what is it about those four resorts that you think you like?

I like OKW and SSR because of the community feeling you get staying there. BWV, I've stayed there twice, both times in a studio for a very short stay. Not a fan of their parking (we always drive) or the long hallways. But it is an easy walk to both DHS and Epcot. We've only stayed at AKL before they added the villas and we have a short upcoming trip in the spring. We like sitting on the balcony watching the animals.

The most important thing to realize is that "off" times are not the same for DVC. Summer is an "off" time. The first week of December is the most difficult to book. What do you consider to be "off" times?

My opinion:
I agree with adding the BWV standard rooms and the BW view rooms to the list. I'd also point out that getting in to OKW is easy so owning there is not necessary to taking advantage of those options, now if you want the 3 BR consistently, that could be another matter.

I'm questioning whether DVC is a good choice for you but if it is, please spend enough time to make the right choice and get past the emotions wanting to buy in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter