"Inexpensive" TS options and ordering off kids' menu?

momofmikey

Mommy also to Daniel and Lauren
We are switching resorts this year to try something new, but that means we go from the free Standard Dining Plan to the Quick Service Plan. I would still like to do some TS meals, but since we'll be paying OOP for them, would like to get the best value I can. My boys are 13 and 11, but would often prefer the kids' menu. I know the last couple years my oldest has done that, but we were on the dining plan, so not sure if that mattered.

Thanks!

My 50 some year old MIL orders off the kids menu all the time and doesn't have an issue with it, even when she was using the dining plan :) Im sure your boys will be fine ordering off of it.
Ill let someone else answer about TS in WDW because my experience is limited there. Ive always had the dining plan and never looked at the actual prices of items. Now that sounds bad oops

Most venues will allow adults to order off of the children's menu. There were some reports a while ago of a few of the non-Disney owned venues (primarily La Hacienda and Marrakesh) not allowing "adult" guests to order from the kid's menu, but those are the only ones that come to mind.

They will have to pay the adult price, regardless of what they order or how much they eat, at buffets (e.g., Chef Mickey's), family style/all-you-care-to-eat (e.g., 'Ohana), fixed priced meals (e.g., CRT), dinner shows (e.g., HDDR), or dining packages (e.g., Fantasmic dining package).

Some places will let you order a kids meal for an adult- some will allow you to order it but will bring an adult portion and set the price at an adult price for the item- it depends from place to place and from server to server even at the same place sometimes.

When my kids were that age we did far better ordering 1 adult meal for them to split. It was way more food than 2 kids meals really. Sci Fi and 50's at DHS both are inexpensive and fun. Lots of meals that are easy to split and kid friendly like fried chicken and burgers. Beaches and Cream on the boardwalk between epcot and dhs is also a fun spot and lots of kid friendly options on the adult menu. At MK we like the Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch they have a burger too but my kids like their thanksgiving dinner with turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes. If you want to do a buffet we love Trails End and it's the least expensive plus lots to see at Fort Wilderness.

A few more TS locations with good value to recommend:

The Plaza at MK. Even if the boys order off of the adult menu, the prices are great.

Grand Floridian Café. A nice change of pace from the MK.... catch the monorail to the GF. There are nice selections for adults and kids.

We did the same thing as a PP and split an adult entree between two kids (it varied which two). We don't drink soda anyway, so the included drink with kids meals mean little to us and, at most places, the adult portions sizes were plenty large enough.

Also, wanted to give up a heads up that there have been reports that the Plaza restaurant at MK will not allow anyone over 9 to order from the kid's menu at all. Here is one thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3235812

Beaches and Cream, 50s Prime Time, Sci Fi (though I think their food is terrible so I hate recommending it), the hotel restaurants like The Wave, Kona, Grand Floridian Cafe, etc. are reasonable in price. Lots of people love Trail's End buffet at Ft. Wilderness and it is very reasonable for a buffet. I think Chefs de France and Rose and Crown at Epcot are reasonable as is Yak and Yeti at AK and Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch only at MK,

Trails End buffet.....no matter what meal is very very good and "inexpensive". The 4 of us (3 Disney adults and 1 child)...the bill was only about 100.00 which is cheap for Disney!!!

We have never had any issues with ordering off kids menu so you should be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter