Indiana Jones set to be released soon

PolymerSkywalker

DIS Veteran
Any expectations for this movie? Seeing reports it has a massive budget and may need to make almost a billion dollar box office just to break even for Disney.

I hope it does well. The PWB chick worries me. If she comes across as snarky and condescending towards Indy, that will not be well received by the legacy fans. From the clips I have seen on the trailers, that is my only concern. I just want Indy to not get the Luke Skywalker treatment that Kathlene Kennedy is known for.

What exactly is Kennedy "known" for? This conspiracy theory is getting so old. She doesn't even write the movies!

Well kind of known for taking beloved massively profitable franchises and making them less valuable and less profitable.
Ask yourself this. Is the Star Wars IP better or worse since KK managed it? Is the Willow IP better or worse since KK managed it? Is the Indiana Jones IP better or worse since KK managed it?

She may not have personally directed the movies, but she hired the directors, and approved the scripts. When you are the boss, it is all your responsibility remember.

Well, Star Wars may have a small rough patch, but I think that has more to do with streaming than anything. There's just too much. Willow was alwasy a niche thing anyway, and getting anything additional was a small miracle. Indiana Jones - well this is the first thing they have released under Kennedy so....

And, look Star Wars is still a very popular and healthy franchise. It's doing as well as any 45 year old IP around, despite some recent criticism.

Also, and I just have to say this even though I know how this goes, but "getting the Luke Skywalker" treatment is such an odd criticism. Did people even WATCH The Last Jedi. Luke does nothing but constantly show-up Rey as he teaches her, then shows up at the end to save the day. He gets to be the hero. But, oh no, Evil Kathleen made it so it must have denegrated Luke? You do know she's also in charge of making The Mandalorian and that great Luke appearance there. Luke's character is no victim - he's fine and everything was perfectly in character.

She has made Star Wars more profitable with the sequels than George Lucas did with the prequels. But as noted, keeping any old IP alive is a monumental task... keeping nostalgic for fans of the original while making it accessible for new generations.

JJ tried to right this ship after Rian Johnson destroyed Luke's character in The Last Jedi. It didn't work, Johnson's damage to Luke was too far gone by then.

Its really simple that the majority of the movie going public agree with me on this:
The Force Awakens = $2.06B
The Last Jedi = $1.33B
The rise of Skywalker = $1.07B

Trilogies that are healthy don't have their last installment make 1/2 of the first movie!

JJ tried to right this ship after Rian Johnson destroyed Luke's character in The Last Jedi. It didn't work, Johnson's damage to Luke was too far gone by then.

Its really simple that the majority of the movie going public agree with me on this:
The Force Awakens = $2.06B
The Last Jedi = $1.66B
The rise of Skywalker = $1.07B

Trilogies that are healthy don't have their last installment make 1/2 of the first movie!

Again, while the numbers are accurate, it's the WHY that you are making assumptions about. I don't think most people think Luke's character was destroyed - it wasn't. Now, maybe the overall story wasn't clicking with folks, or maybe it was jsut too much at once - there are alot of possible reasons.

Disney paid $4 Billion for Lucas Films could they sell it for $4 Billion plus the inflation rate over the time they have owned it? That is the ultimate test of how a business has been managed isn't it?

Also:

A New Hope: $775,398,007
The Empire Strikes Back: $538,375,067
Return of the Jedi: $475,106,177

So, Jedi was down about 40% from the first one. Just saying.

The Force Awakens was really good and I really liked Rogue one. The rest of the Disney movies were a disjointed mess, that seemed to really not have a master plan controlling them. The destruction of Luke as the hero was simply one aspect of the failure of Star Wars imho.

The Force Awakens was really good and I really liked Rogue one. The rest of the Disney movies were a disjointed mess, that seemed to really not have a master plan controlling them. The destruction of Luke as the hero was simply one aspect of the failure of Star Wars imho.

Ehh, master plans are overrated. It's not like the OT had one.

Besides, Luke was still THE hero in the movie? Nobody has yet been able to explain to me how he isn't?

So the thousands of people online that hate how Luke was treated are all wrong and you are right, is that how you see it. I have literally watched hundreds of videos about how OG fans and even Mark Hammill himself talking about how Luke was mishandled in this trilogy. So everyone is dead wrong, that the way you see it?

Well, they are wrong if they are saying that he wasn't "a hero" - he absolutely was. He's like the ultimate hero in that movie. Now, if they have other issues, that's a different story of course. Nobody has ever really explained it to me articulately though.

And even Mark did say that while he had misgivings, he also saw Rian's point of view on it.

Also:

A New Hope: $775,398,007
The Empire Strikes Back: $538,375,067
Return of the Jedi: $475,106,177

So, Jedi was down about 40% from the first one. Just saying.
Well 37.8% drop to be exact, and a 48% drop for the Disney sequel trilogy. Now did any of the George Lucas Star Wars movies lose money or only break even? How about the Disney stuff? How about Solo? Something certainly happened after Solo, because Disney put the brakes on all theatrical Star Wars projects.

I agree that JJ tried to save it due to all the backlash Rian Johnson's movie got. JJ did the best he could do in the last one ,but Johnson had left him a mess and the damage to Luke was too far gone. People literally talk about how Johnson's movie split the star wars fan base in half. Did you miss all of that somehow?

I agree that JJ tried to save it due to all the backlash Rian Johnson's movie got. JJ did the best he could do in the last one ,but Johnson had left him a mess and the damage to Luke was too far gone. People literally talk about how Johnson's movie split the star wars fan base in half. Did you miss all of that somehow?

You keep saying "damage" to luke but you never say specifically what. Sure, people have various opinions, but I just don't think that mattered overall.

Only Solo didn't make money -the rest of them did fine.

- Luke throwing his lightsaber off a cliff, one his most prized possessions, was not Luke Skywalker
- Luke being a angry old man that was mad at the world was not Luke Skywalker
- Luke refusing to train a promising young Jedi in Rey was not Luke Skywalker
- Luke contemplating killing his nephew and son of his beloved sister was not Luke Skywalker
- Master Jedi Luke milking an animal for green milk while shaking his fist at the sky was not Luke Skywalker
- Luke abandoning all of his friends while their lives were at risk to live like a Hermit, was not Luke Skywalker

Luke was hopes and dreams and the ultimate farm boy who wanted to make the galaxy a much better place. The depiction was simply not Luke Skywalker. All of that and much more is what damaged the character of Luke Skywalker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter