• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Indiana Jones Building Shaking?

doge

Earning My Ears
I looked everywhere on the internet but can't find anything on the topic. I haven't been in a while but last time I was at DL the IJ building always kinda shook while in the loading area. I don't know if it is just me or not but this is kinda driving me nuts!! :confused3

I think you feel a little rumbling when the cars pull up and unload/load, but I don't recall feeling a whole lot other than when it is your turn to load. Or are you talking about something different?

I’ve ridden IJ a ton this summer (because my daughter just hit the height limit), and I’m not sure what you’re referencing. There might be a little rumbling on the platform as @Elk Grove Chris mentioned, similar to the feeling if a truck drives by... but I haven’t noticed the building itself shaking at all.

The cars are very heavy and always have large hydraulic pumps running. The sound of them and their vibrations are transferred to the concrete floors.

Buildings of all kinds shake. Malls are notorious for this. I feel the floor moving up and down on the second story of the mall every time I am in there. The IJ building is always rumbling. You can hear it from the esplanade/tram loading area. There are very loud noises generated in that ride, which causes vibrations.

Buildings of all kinds shake. Malls are notorious for this. I feel the floor moving up and down on the second story of the mall every time I am in there. The IJ building is always rumbling. You can hear it from the esplanade/tram loading area. There are very loud noises generated in that ride, which causes vibrations.
My mom can feel buildings move very easily due to her ear pressure thing.

Maybe some of you remember a terrible tragedy many years back when a walkway in a mall collapsed. It was loaded with people watching an event on the floor below. My husband, who has been a civil engineer for nearly 50 years, explained to me that the reason it fell was because there was no *give* built into the floors. It was an engineering mistake. The movement you may feel in buildings is actually a safety measure.

Maybe some of you remember a terrible tragedy many years back when a walkway in a mall collapsed. It was loaded with people watching an event on the floor below. My husband, who has been a civil engineer for nearly 50 years, explained to me that the reason it fell was because there was no *give* built into the floors. It was an engineering mistake. The movement you may feel in buildings is actually a safety measure.

At a local mall a few years ago there was a flash mob on the second floor food court. So many people showed up that the place was packed, wall to wall people. The floor started swaying and there were strange creaking sounds. Naturally everyone was freaking out, luckily no one was hurt. The mall was evacuated because that many people exceeded fire codes, and they checked the structural integrity but found that it was just fine, had worked as intended.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter