Independent Car Rental or DVC?

I Love DVC

Aulani Ocean View May 2012!
We will be traveling from SSR to VBR and back again to SSR. I know that there is a rental service station near SSR. I was just wondering if it's better to rent a car directly through DVC or go with an independent rental agency?

I wasn't even aware that DVC would make your car rental arrangements. But then again, I don't know why you would other than for convenience. I always make my own car rental reservations, its easy to do.

For a list of available discount codes, check www.mousesavers.com. Then check the various car rental company websites (links directly on that page) and book the one that has the best price and size.

I wasn't even aware that DVC would make your car rental arrangements. But then again, I don't know why you would other than for convenience. I always make my own car rental reservations, its easy to do.

For a list of available discount codes, check www.mousesavers.com. Then check the various car rental company websites (links directly on that page) and book the one that has the best price and size.
I always go on one of the travel sites -- Expedia, Travelocity, etc - and do my own research. I've always found I save a LOT on rental cars compared to going through some travel agent.

The only caution I would give is compare car to car, not category to category. Some rental car companies consider a particular model a "compact," others consider exactly the same car a "midsize." So be sure, when you think you're getting a cheap rate for a particular category, that you are, in fact, getting a better car for a lower price.

[ETA - Also, use the option to compare your choices by price. The travel sites sometimes have "preferred" or "recommended" deals (for which the rental company pays a fee to the site) and those will usually show up at the top of the list. And they'll look pretty good, until you sort the options by price and find out they're not so cheap after all.

Also, "special deals," like senior discounts, are often actually higher prices. Compare price to price, car to car, and don't be misled by advertising gimmicks.]

*bumping* Anyone else?

Don't use DVC (or WDW Travel), unless you just can't bring yourself to do the legwork to make your own. You'll pay a mint for their rentals, usually.... far more than sheer convenience is worth (at least to me). We quoted through WDW travel on one of our trips, and I checked rates online...the difference (for 14 days) was a couple hundred bucks +. It worked out to about $15-ish per day difference which was about 50% more (per day) than the rate we found online....and even THAT wasn't the cheapest rate to be had, as I wanted to stick with companies I knew.

The thing is, you're still bound by the rental car companies policies even if you book through a TA. You still need to put up a CC at pickup to secure the vehicle, even if you have a voucher from your TA that covers the rental. You still have to be 25 or older and pay extra for extra drivers. You still have to do all that "stuff" AND you're paying a much higher rate. Just doesn't make sense to me unless you find that your time is worth more than the time it takes you to do the legwork and make the ressie yourself. To me, it's not.

We usually book through Alamo. Not necessarily the cheapest, but we know the process so it works for us (you can check-in online before you leave home, then head directly to the cars and pick one up. Usually a quick process). I've found that it's usually cheaper to book directly on their website than one of the travel sites.

Plus, as a DVC member you get a 10% discount with them. :thumbsup2

I've always gotten cheaper rates booking my own rental car. If you have a Costco membership or American Express Card, you can get pretty good discounts. There is an Alamo at the Buena Vista Palace across the street from SSR and an Avis in the Hilton across from DD. Budget is also at the Doubletree Guest Suites. You can also rent from Alamo at the Dolphin resort or the Car Care Center (which will pick you up at your resort).

I have had my past 3 rentals from Dollar (MCOS01) using the KISS2 code.

From SST you walk like going to DTD ,cross the street and the driveway is right there very easy to get to.

I just haven't found anything cheaper or more convienent to make up for the price.

I have had my past 3 rentals from Dollar (MCOS01) using the KISS2 code.

From SST you walk like going to DTD ,cross the street and the driveway is right there very easy to get to.

I just haven't found anything cheaper or more convienent to make up for the price.

Same here except I used a BJ's code. I have used Alamo and picked up the car at the Dolphin using a Walmart code I found on Mousesavers that also added a second driver at no charge. At Christmas no one beat the Dollar price though and it is super easy to get to. I think they also have a van to pick you up but it really is a short walk from the DTD marketplace bus stop.

go to the transportation board and ask.

those people are GREAT.

I had a rate of $228 for a economy car - they helped me to get a mid-size car for $125 including tax. then you could use 2 discount codes together - one was a discount code then other was a corp code.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter