• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Independent Audit Blasts Disney For Pulling ‘Bait And Switch’ On Florida: ‘A Mousetrap’

Not yet. Let's wait for both sides to present their evidence in court. Until then, it's all biased spin.

When we get people to testify under oath, that will be "interesting."
I've got a feeling we could see evidence for months and months and it will not result in changed minds.

So, any minds changed?

Nope--it's still not an independent audit and anyone buying into that is just a DeSantis cheerleader. If Disney did X number of illegal things, then go after them. I don't care. Not a fan of most of these corporations anymore and I certainly have ZERO interest in defending Disney. But maybe becuase I'm in a financial career, heavily audited at that, well, I just take great umbrage at this being put out there as an independent audit, fooling regular people into thinking "oh well it's an independent audit" etc. and just lying, lying, lying. I'm just sick of the political manipulations, bad headlines meant too trick people just living their lives, and then knowing that too many people get their news and analysis from YouTube for god's sake--one the biggest cesspools of disinformation out there.

It is quite easy to hire a truly independent auditor. This is not it.

Sorry, off my soapbox, it's been a tough day in my beancounter world because YESSSS, I'm under audit, lol!!

Nope--it's still not an independent audit and anyone buying into that is just a DeSantis cheerleader. If Disney did X number of illegal things, then go after them. I don't care. Not a fan of most of these corporations anymore and I certainly have ZERO interest in defending Disney. But maybe becuase I'm in a financial career, heavily audited at that, well, I just take great umbrage at this being put out there as an independent audit, fooling regular people into thinking "oh well it's an independent audit" etc. and just lying, lying, lying. I'm just sick of the political manipulations, bad headlines meant too trick people just living their lives, and then knowing that too many people get their news and analysis from YouTube for god's sake--one the biggest cesspools of disinformation out there.

It is quite easy to hire a truly independent auditor. This is not it.

Sorry, off my soapbox, it's been a tough day in my beancounter world because YESSSS, I'm under audit, lol!!
Yes, it is easy to hire and expert witness too,
The problem is when the experts disagree….

Independent is only as independent as the person Writing the check wants it to be

Last edited:
I've got a feeling we could see evidence for months and months and it will not result in changed minds.
Probably right. People have pretty hardened positions about this. Even if you had Mickey's DNA on a bloody knife and a full confession, nobody would believe anything actually happened.

Exact same could be said for the other side of the equation.

This has been my point - Disney has now made themselves part of that equation, and until they remove themselves, they forever lose half of the mass market that they used to be able to count on with ease. B/c everyone will always take a side with them now.

No one "takes a side" with other movie studios or other streaming services. But Disney put themselves there. And here we are.

Probably right. People have pretty hardened positions about this. Even if you had Mickey's DNA on a bloody knife and a full confession, nobody would believe anything actually happened.
Except that Mickey’s fictional (gasp) and drawing DNA with a knife would likely be an assault on a CM.

This has been my point - Disney has now made themselves part of that equation, and until they remove themselves, they forever lose half of the mass market that they used to be able to count on with ease. B/c everyone will always take a side with them now.
It's nowhere near half. Regardless which side you're on, the number of people that care enough about this issue to actually make decisions based on it is miniscule. Disney has had plenty of woes the past two years, but there's no evidence that attributes them in any meaningful way to this battle.

It's now mostly a political exercise and is little more than a topic of curiosity to anyone who isn't already emotionally tied in one side. DeSantis (and his allies) are so deeply invested that they can't cede any ground without looking weak (even though the battle is remarkably unpopular in his own party outside Florida), and Disney is fighting hard to maintain the status quo even when it means intentionally subverting the will of the state legislature (with whether or not the legislature acted legally being an open question).

My daughter, who happens to be gay, hates Disney. Every time I try to get her to go with us, it's like pulling teeth: if EPCOT didn't have food festivals, I doubt she'd ever (willingly) set foot in another Disney park again. I cannot remember the last time she'd prefer a Disney or TV series movie over K-Dramas. It's probably been years.

We're taking her and her girlfriend to SeaWorld for her birthday. That was their choice, not mine. I have no idea what SeaWorld's political views are, but I'm pretty sure the deciding factor was their roller coasters.

Such an odd thing to post!

What does your daughter (gay or not!) hating Disney have anything at all with the discussion at hand??

Newsflash, lots of people don't care for Disney!
Are we reading the same thread? Where did the poster you quoted say anything about not going to SeaWorld or Universal, much less why?

Guessing you'll ignore this question just like you've ignored all the others I've asked you. Wonder why that is...
I was as confused as you were! Her comment about SeaWorld and Universal in response to the poster she quoted had absolutely nothing to do with anything. Totally out of left field.
I don't recall anymore what all of this is referring to, sorry. I'm too lazy to read through this thread at this point. :)

Again, super odd response! Sam was asking you a question about what your posted at 12:03. You responded the above at 1:41. Here's a little advice. If you can't recall what you yourself posted 90 minutes prior, it's probably time for you to step back from this thread.

It's pretty obvious that you were expecting everyone to love your very first post/article and to agree with you and that didn't happen, which is probably super disappointing for you.

OMG, there's more to life than politics! People obsessed with politics just suck all of the joy and fun out of everything. Go out and have some fun!

You should take your own advice!

But, that's the thing: DeSantis is a politician. It's his job to "have agendas" about political issues. Disney is an entertainment company. Disney didn't need have to have a "side" about anything not related to entertainment. They chose otherwise. Even if individual Cast Members do rightly have opinions about controversial issues, they don't need to associate those opinions with their employer, Disney. And Disney didn't need to officially adopt an opinion of their own. Yeah, they have free speech and all of that, but they also have the freedom NOT to speak. Like Universal is doing.

I don't even know what Universal's "side" is, and I honestly don't want to know. When I visit their parks or watch their movies, that's not what I want to think about. That's not why I'm going there. Maybe some of you readers know what Universal's position on social issues is, but they don't seem to try very hard to make them widely known. And that's pretty smart, in my opinion. Because taking sides is much better at making enemies than friends, and "entertainment" companies will have bigger audiences and make more money if they make people feel happy and good about themselves, rather than upset or defensive.

But that's neither here nor there: whether you, or DeSantis, likes Disney or not doesn't "prove" or "disprove" any of the allegations. The facts will do that. Not passionately held feelings or political vendettas. So, let's follow the facts and see where they lead.
Universal was just as vocal about their "side", and beat Disney in speaking out against those insane policies first.

You should take your own advice!
Just got back from Disney Springs. Eet was awesome. Especially loved the bread service. Sadly, they were all out of Lassi and they need to provide better plates for sharing. But we'd definitely return.

Also, the live music was amazing tonight. Listened to 3 different groups just walking back to Orange garage. Wonderful ambience with the Christmas decorations, a roving car with dance music (really!), the lake...we are so blessed to be just minutes away and we can go anytime we like.

Disney has so much going for it. They are so good at what they do well. They bring so much beauty, joy and happiness to their guests. And that's why they are rightly beloved.

All the best, friends!

So, any minds changed?
Ha that’s probably unlikely. Depending on where you are on the political spectrum will most likely determine where you fall on this issue. None of us on here are really objective; we all kind of have a dog in the fight. That’s why it’s hard, especially with legal matters when you are not a legal expert, to kind of sift through the data as you know it, use your logic and intellect, and come to a conclusion (that may or may not be right). And these cases might really come down to the ideology of whatever judge is on the case. Hopefully whoever it is will look at the cases with totally unbiased eyes (I mean I hope they always do that!)

I served on a federal jury a long time ago. When the prosecution presented their case I started to feel very confident that the defendant was guilty. However, when the defense presented their case it became clear (and the whole jury agreed fairly quickly) that the defendant was not at fault. I always remember that when I see one side as compelling and remind myself that you have to fully look at Both sides because you never know what information will be uncovered that will persuade you that your first impression might not be the right one.

Just got back from Disney Springs. Eet was awesome. Especially loved the bread service. Sadly, they were all out of Lassi and they need to provide better plates for sharing...
Were you at Morimoto? It would be nice if lassi was back on the menu 🙏🏾

Were you at Morimoto? It would be nice if lassi was back on the menu 🙏🏾
No, we were at the new Indian quick service place called "eet." I think it's where Wolfgang Puck's quick service used to be. And, yes, they are supposed to have Lassi....but they were all out when we got there at about 5PM.

I would also slightly knock their beer selection, as both choices were IPAs. But they might have felt it paired well with the food.

No, we were at the new Indian quick service place called "eet." I think it's where Wolfgang Puck's quick service used to be. And, yes, they are supposed to have Lassi....but they were all out when we got there at about 5PM.

I would also slightly knock their beer selection, as both choices were IPAs. But they might have felt it paired well with the food.
@NYCgrrl yes it's called "Eet" because it's Maneet Chauhan's restaurant (she's from Food Network). It's a play on her name.

@whiteness, I've been to Maneet's restaurant in Nashville and really enjoyed it. I'm excited to try Eet but a little worried it's too 'watered down.' Sorry to hear they were out of lassi but they also just opened so I (personally) would give them a bit to work out the kinks (and opening crowds).

I know. I was being facetious. Hence, the cute little emoji. I immediately regretted it given the venue where I posted it, because I know how passionate people are about this topic, here.
You posted a misleading title that supported your false narrative. Yet even after several days when presented with compelling evidence you haven't changed it speaks volumes.

Well, fine, if you don't want to visit SeaWorld or Universal Studios because they haven't come out strongly enough on the politics you support, that's also your choice. But I think most people just want to enjoy themselves when they spend their hard earned money on entertainment, and there's nothing wrong with that, either.
I'm not visiting Seaworld because there is no compelling reason to do so. It has nothing to do with politics. I would rather ride Figment all day long than visit Seaworld.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter