• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Incoming Heat Wave and Tips to Deal With It

V.I.N.CENT.

DIS Veteran
Looks like there is a significant heat wave projected for next week. USA Today Article Some forecasters are predicting this September will see some of the hottest recorded temperatures throughout the month.

I've been to the parks when it hit 105, on the same trip we rarely saw below 100 for five days. Thought I would throw out a few tips to deal with the heat.

• First and foremost, take it slow. Arrive at rope drop, take a break around noon or 1pm. Go back to the hotel and shower/change, return later in the evening when it's cooler. Usually around 5pm the temps start to drop. Bring extra clothes to change into, it's not fun doing laundry in the hotel sink when you run out (firsthand experience).

• DRINK LOTS OF WATER. Bring collapsible water bottles to refill, buy water bottles, go to any quick service food location and ask for free ice water. However you get it, make sure to stay hydrated. We sometimes bring the individual packets of Gatorade to help as well.

• Buy cooling towels and/or cooling hats. Disney sells cooling towels in the park. Make sure to bring your own in case they sell out. Wet the towels, wring them out a bit, wear around your neck. They really do help you stay cool. I also wear a cooling hat (mission is the brand) on most trips. You can run the hat under the sink to get it wet and reapply throughout the day. Big help.

• Battery powered misting fans in the park are decent, but not great. We had several break on use, and the performance is ok. It was easy to exchange at any location that sells them. However, bringing your own is usually the best (and cheapest) option.

• Consider purchasing or bringing a folding fan. Disney sells the good old style folding hand fans in the park. Love our main Street Electric Parade fan we purchased from our last trip. Old tech but still very effective.

• Go for Pirates/Small World for a good dose of A/C. These two rides are the best for cooling down. Speaking of rides, expect some breakdowns, in particular on outdoor rides. When it hit 105 we saw frequent closures of the Matterhorn and Big Thunder. We were told by some CM's that the rides were having track issues due to the heat.

Hope this info helps. Last tip, always remind yourself a bad day at Disneyland is far better than the best day at work or school :)

Go onto Amazon and buy one of these:
View attachment 698127

Also, buy a solar umbrella. Amazon sells those, too. About $35 I think. That plus the fan above are life savers when we go to WDW. If it was going to be 100 at Disneyland, I’d totally bring my “survive Orlando in sweaty June” gear with me. Lol.
Great tip. Forgot to include battery powered fans like above. I've noticed some models that plug directly into a powerpack that are pretty powerful.

I'm gonna just say, it was already uncomfortably hot by 8am this morning. Getting an early start isn't too helpful during heat waves like this. Instead, I'd advocate for not even entering the parks until about 4 or 5pm. By then at least the sun is lower in the sky and it will feel significantly better around 7pm.

A UV umbrella is a MUST this weekend. An absolute must.

DRINK WATER! Its free and available at every counter service place and when it is hot if you ask nicely they will often give you a larger size cup.

Alternate riding rides that are outdoor with things like Animation Academy & Turtle Talk, Mickey's Philharmagic in California Adventure.

For Disneyland, Tom Sawyer Island stays cooler, as well as Great Moments with Mr Lincoln, the Main Street Cinema, Tiki Room, Small World.

If you have babies/toddlers you can take a break inside the baby care center.

If you really feel like you are overheated/dehydrated you can visit the first aid center (in either park) and they will let you lay down until you are feeling better.

The fold-up fans at Disneyland are (at least they were about a year ago) in the $10-ish range. Save yourself some money and go to Cost Plus Imports and buy one for about $3-4.

There are also these dorky looking neck fans that Amazon and other retailers sell online. I don't have a photo at the moment. But they wrap around the back of your neck and the front part has 2 fans on these bendy arms. My DH used one during our entire WDW trip in early June of last year for a week. He used that and 1 of our solar umbrellas and said between those 2 things, it made standing in line outside almost tolerable. You'd need to recharge the neck fan every night, of course. We are going again to WDW in early October for a week (super sweaty time of year there!) and he's going to use that set up again.

I also vote for wearing a wide-brimmed hat. Not a baseball cap, because those won't do much to shade the back of your neck. Dunk the hat in some water, or run it under the faucet in the bathrooms, then toss it on the top of your head and if you are also using a fan, then it'll provide some A/C effect for you.

We just bought those neck fans to bring this weekend. We also are putting fresh batteries in our Disneyland spray bottle fan. Cooling towels are ready to go! We also plan to take a long break in the middle part of the day to enjoy the pool.

We just bought those neck fans to bring this weekend. We also are putting fresh batteries in our Disneyland spray bottle fan. Cooling towels are ready to go! We also plan to take a long break in the middle part of the day to enjoy the pool.

Add this. I am serious. This will do more for you than all those other things combined.

Umenice UPF 50+ UV Protection Travel Umbrella Ultra Light Weight https://a.co/d/eXXj7pj

Also try to eat inside or in the shade so you get a break from the sun and walking around. Don't try to push yourself, if you feel tired go back to the hotel and take a break, pushing yourself in the heat is not a good idea. Getting heat exhaustion is not fun.

The fold-up fans at Disneyland are (at least they were about a year ago) in the $10-ish range. Save yourself some money and go to Cost Plus Imports and buy one for about $3-4.

There are also these dorky looking neck fans that Amazon and other retailers sell online. I don't have a photo at the moment. But they wrap around the back of your neck and the front part has 2 fans on these bendy arms. My DH used one during our entire WDW trip in early June of last year for a week. He used that and 1 of our solar umbrellas and said between those 2 things, it made standing in line outside almost tolerable. You'd need to recharge the neck fan every night, of course. We are going again to WDW in early October for a week (super sweaty time of year there!) and he's going to use that set up again.

I also vote for wearing a wide-brimmed hat. Not a baseball cap, because those won't do much to shade the back of your neck. Dunk the hat in some water, or run it under the faucet in the bathrooms, then toss it on the top of your head and if you are also using a fan, then it'll provide some A/C effect for you.
Yes we took a portable misting fan a few weeks ago and helped a lot. Many people in line asked where we purchased thinking we got there but we bought on Amazon before leaving. Wish I would have taken 2 because DD almost never shared lol.

We also ate inside shopped more and waited more in lines where there was an indoor area. We went to the animation building more than once.

I also forgot my refillable water bottle in our room one day and would just ask any quick service place for a cup of water with ice.

Ariel’s is also good for AC if your over in DCA

Also thanks for mentioning the umbrellas. This made me look to see if there were options that I could use with my rollator. And yes

Space Mountain is the best ride to chill your body to the core. It's FREEZING in there and there are high powered fans blowing during the ride that really cool you down and dry you off in the short time you are in there. It's also dark, so it's a nice break from the sun.

We used this sun umbrella and I couldn't believe how much it helped!
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q8874C8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also two kinds of neck fans. I like the one that you can bend a little better because you can adjust the direction of air flow. The only thing I didn't like is that they USB charge instead of batteries. I charged them up at the hotel but we used them a TON and they got weak by the end of the day. I would bring a portable charger for these.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0888NR4M3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08911JGGW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A good old fashioned uv-sun hat did wonders. I'm surprised more people don't use them.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B087LYX66C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Go onto Amazon and buy one of these:
View attachment 698127

Also, buy a solar umbrella. Amazon sells those, too. About $35 I think. That plus the fan above are life savers when we go to WDW. If it was going to be 100 at Disneyland, I’d totally bring my “survive Orlando in sweaty June” gear with me. Lol.

This one is good too.

Attachments

• 61R35W4wklL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61R35W4wklL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 3
We used this sun umbrella and I couldn't believe how much it helped!
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q8874C8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also two kinds of neck fans. I like the one that you can bend a little better because you can adjust the direction of air flow. The only thing I didn't like is that they USB charge instead of batteries. I charged them up at the hotel but we used them a TON and they got weak by the end of the day. I would bring a portable charger for these.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0888NR4M3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08911JGGW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A good old fashioned uv-sun hat did wonders. I'm surprised more people don't use them.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B087LYX66C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should have kept on reading! You recommended mine already. I LOVE it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter