Inaugural Hawaii Cruise (Apr/May 2012) - Port Adventures!!

SanDiegoSteph

Mouseketeer
Hello Fellow DISers and welcome to my FIRST EVER trip report. I note this so that you'll bear with me if I do stuff that is so obviously elementary or wrong!!

So, my family joined the other wonderful folks on the Inaugural cruise to Hawaii aboard the Wonder this past April 29-May 14. Since other trip reports have been started regarding the weather, onboard conditions, food, etc., I decided that I would focus my report on our port adventures in Hilo (Big Island), Kahalui (Maui), Honolulu (Oahu) and Nawiliwili (Kauai). We rented a car in each place and did our own thing - no DCL excursions, but some of what we did mirrored what DCL offered (just cheaper!)

First a bit about my family so you know just what kind of folks participated in these Hawaii port excursions...

I am a 45 year old University Administrator/Attorney from San Diego who LOVES all things Disney. I point this out not because it would be so much different from the rest of you, but because it is so much different than anyone else in my family including pretty much all those who travelled with me!!

Yep, I pretty much planned the whole cruise from beginning to end and just dragged the rest of them along for the ride. Hey that's what you get to do when you do the planning and pay the bill, right?!!?

I was joined by my ever patient 41 year old DH, our 5 year old DS (who is a Cars and ToyStory fan, but just not much of a classic Disney kind of kid). We also brought along my DMIL (77) and DFIL (77) because we just plain like them and, although they are pretty slow, they travel well - like well preserved luncheon fare! :lmao:

So, let me get this ball rolling with an overview of our day in:

Hilo (the BIG Island)

Arrival: ~9am on Friday, May 4th, 2012
Temperature: ~68 degrees with light rain
Cost of Excursion: ~$150 for 4 adults and 1 child ($90 for car rental with tax; $45 for lunch with tip; $12 for gas and tips to Hertz shuttle driver; $2 for postcards)

None of us had been to this island before, so the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park was a MUST. Here is how the day played out...

After much back and forth times announced by Captain Fabian, we arrived in port at Hilo Bay at about 9am. The port officials provided the wrong sized gangplank, so it took until about 10am for the first folks to disembark (I was number 4 in line)

I walked off the boat (okay, kind of skipped since I was happy to be on solid ground!!) and about 100 yards across the parking lot to the awaiting Hertz rental car van. Since I was one of the first folks off and we were at the very first port, I missed the lei greeting and photo opportunity that my family got later in the morning as they were still setting up. I did see from the photos later that they had the characters out on the pier for photos with families getting off the ship.

Instead, I dashed into the front seat of the Hertz shuttle van (just a white panel van with “Hertz” painted on the side) and the fabulous driver whisked me away to the airport to get our minivan that we’d rented for $80/day (USAA member discount). It was only a 10-minute ride and I took along my TomTom so that I could find my way back to the port to pick up my hubby, DS (5) and my DMIL (77) and DFIL (77). In case you need it, the port address is: 80 Kuhio Street, Hilo, HI 96720; 808-933-8850

My driver informed me that the shuttle would stop operations from the airport to the pier at 5pm that day (acckkk!!). We weren’t due back on the ship until 7:30pm. However, he kindly provided me with his personal cell phone number and said when I was ready to drop off the car at the airport to just call him and he’d come get me to shuttle me back to the ship.

When I arrived at the outdoor Hertz counter, they were SUPER friendly (gave me a fresh Gardena for my hair even) and directed me right behind them to the parking lot where my minivan sat not 30 feet away.

Hertzcounter1.jpg

So, I walked right to it, jumped in and was on my way back to the port in just about 15 minutes after I had left. I called my hubby to tell them to start walking off the ship. When I returned to the port, I just showed my KTTW card and my driver’s license and they let me in right where I got the Hertz shuttle. Now, mind you, I had to play the “I have a disabled father-in-law that I need to pick up” card and I had his blue handicap placard to prove it. So, if anyone in your party has one of those, be sure YOU take it with you when you go to get the rental car.

So, about 10:45 we were on our way to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. It only took us about 40 minutes to get there through the town of Hilo and south on Route 11. When you arrive, there is a fee for park entrance ($10/car), but my DFIL has a Lifetime Pass to the National Parks that only cost him $10. If you are 62 or older, you can buy one right there at the park entrance (can’t get it anywhere but at a park entrance) and it gets you and all your passengers in for free.

VolcanoesParkentrance2.jpg

It was cool (probably 60 degrees) and windy with a bit of rain when we arrived. We immediately stopped at the Park Visitor’s Center to use the restrooms and check out the the latest information on trails, ranger-led activities, road conditions, and safety precautions.

VisitorsCenter.jpg

We also watched the free 25 minute film, "Born of Fire, Born of the Sea" It was well worth the time and even our DS (5) enjoyed it (lots of hot lava footage). It is shown on the hour throughout the day, starting at 9:00 a.m. with the last film shown at 4:00 p.m.

The Volcano House was still closed, but it is due to re-open in late 2012, so the October sailors might be able to stop there for a 1st view of the Volcano.

Instead, we left DMIL and DMIL in the Visitor’s Center while we took an easy one-mile (roundtrip) hike on the Earthquake Trail. The trail begins at the exit of the Volcano House parking lot and offers fine views of Mauna Loa and Kilauea Caldera.

Early in the morning on November 16, 1983, a magnitude 6.6 earthquake shook a section of Crater Rim Drive into the caldera. Crater Rim Drive has been rerouted and the old cracked roadway is now this gentle paved walking trail that is suitable for strollers and wheelchairs. It took us about 45 minutes to make the roundtrip hike.​

EarthquakeTrail1.jpg

We then drove counter-clockwise on Crater Rim Drive to the parking lot for the Steam Vents (they are on the left). Here, ground water seeps down to the hot volcanic rocks and returns to the surface as steam. While standing at the Steam Vents, we noticed that the area between the caldera's edge and the outer cliffs of Kilauea Caldera is basically a treeless plain. The ground just a few feet down is so hot that tree roots cannot survive. But shallow-rooted grasses and plants grow here.

SteamVents1.jpg

SteamVents3.jpg

There is an easy gravel trail leading from the Steam Vents parking area to Steaming Bluff, on the caldera's edge. The area is a grassy meadow with ground cracks and steaming concentrated in fractures along the caldera's edge. It loops back around to the parking lot with several signs explaining what you are seeing.

We then jumped back in the minivan and headed to the Kilauea Military Camp ahead on the right. Since my hubby is active duty Navy, we wanted to check this place out for a future visit to Hawaii. The cabins are basic but plentiful and clean. There is a great little playground for the kids, a bowling alley, fitness center and game room/recreation lodge, chapel, general store and cafe. MOST importantly though, it is right there in the Volcanoes National Park so you can stay there and enjoy a couple of days of exploring all the best trails without having to drive from Hilo. Rates run from $80-170/night for the 1-3 bedroom cottages for the most junior enlisted folks to $130-220/night for the same accommodations for the most senior officers. Reservations are accepted up to one year in advance and the maximum stay is 14 nights. http://www.kmc-volcano.com/images/FY10RateInsert.pdf

KilaueaMilitaryCamp01.jpg

After our stop at the military camp, we continued our drive to Kilauea Overlook (on left approximately .7 miles from Steam Vents). Here we had a splendid overlook of the Kilauea Caldera and Halema'uma'u Crater. The view here is similar to that found at the Jaggar Museum, but is usually much less crowded. The caldera (a very large crater formed by collapse) is about 2 miles wide and more than 3 miles long. The highest point on the caldera's edge is near Kilauea Overlook. Halema`uma`u, the main pit crater within Kilauea caldera, is very visible from this point.

KilaueaOverlook1.jpg

We finished up at the lookout and decided to go ahead and drive on to the Jaggar Museum (on left side) for another good view. This was one of the busiest locations in the park. It is a museum on volcanology with displays of equipment used by scientists in the past to study the volcano, working seismographs, and an exhibit of clothing and gear from scientists who got a bit too close to lava. There is also a gift shop with books, videos, cds, maps, and other special items for sale. The Museum has large windows which affords a sheltered (albeit crowded) view of the caldera and main crater, Halema`uma`u. The rain and wind started to pick up and so we all headed inside to check out the cool displays.

JaggarMuseum2.jpg

JaggarMuseum6.jpg

As you can see, the overlook outside the building offers an incredible view of the volcano when there are clear skies. There are also telescopes and interpretive displays about Kilauea around the perimeter. The Hawaiian Volcano Observatory is adjacent to the Jaggar Museum, but it is not open to the public. There were park rangers inside to answer questions.

Since the southern portion (between Jaggar Museum and Chain of Craters Road junction) is currently closed due to fumes posing a hazard to visitors down-wind of the new vent within Halema`umau Crater, we now turned around and drove back past the Visitor’s Center to Kilaueua Iki Overlook

KilaueuaIkiOverlook1.jpg

This is where the trailhead for a 4 mile loop hike around Kīlauea Iki and across the volcano floor starts. Unfortunately it takes about 2-3 hours so with our DMIL, FMIL and DS (5), we decided this was just not a hike we could do this time (my hubby was TOTALLY bummed).

For you October sailors, if you want to tackle it, see pgs 194-196 in the Big Island Revealed book. The trail descends 400 feet through the rain forest, with native birds in the canopy, to the crater floor. Hikers will cross the still-steaming crater floor, past the gaping throat of the vent that built Pu'u Pua'i cinder cone, and return to your starting point via the crater's rim. The trail begins at the Kilauea Iki parking lot. You may go either way from the trailhead. Going left will take you to the Thurston Lava Tube parking lot and then down to the floor of Kilauea Iki. Going right will take you through the rain forest on the crater rim and down to the crater floor.

KilaueuaIkiTrailhead1.jpg

It was now almost 2pm and everyone was STARVED. So, instead of the hike, we headed back out of the park, past the Visitor’s Center, and took a left on Highway 11 back towards Hilo. Just a ½ mile or so out, at Old Volcano Rd, we took a left into the quaint (and very small) village of Volcano – no joke, that is the name of the town!!

TIP: There is a little post office on Old Volcano Rd between Kalanikoa Rd and Haunani Rd, just ¼ mile after you turn on it from Highway 11. We mailed our first batch of post cards from here and they all got a postmark from “Volcanoes, Hawaii” Cool huh?!?!

PostOffice1.jpg

Just past the post office, we stopped for lunch at Kiawe Kitchen (19-4005 Old Volcano Road Volcano, HI 96785; (808) 967-7711. It was a kitchy little place, with just a dozen tables or so, but YUMMY, YUMMY pizza. I won’t lie to you it was EXPENSIVE!! I think our 16” thin crust pizza was $18, but it was delicious and we were too hungry to complain much.

The folks next to us got the salads and they were HUGE and included a bread basket of what looked like a whole loaf of their housemade sourdough bread.

With our bellies full, we drove back into the park and passed the Kīlauea Iki Overlook and went another ½ mile to the Thurston Lava Tube. Parking here is a bit of a crap shoot, so again THANKS to Pop-pop’s disabled parking pass – otherwise we wouldn’t have been able to find a spot!!

There is about a 15 minute-1/3 mile walk down a paved pathway and several uneven sets of stairs through a native Hawaiian rainforest, which includes ferns of all sizes and ohia lahua trees. You will then arrive at a lighted dripping lava tube, formed hundreds of years ago when scalding lava cut a tunnel through the rock. It is not very long, but if you only have time for one walk in Volcanoes National Park, go on this one. On the other side, it is back up a sloped, paved path to the parking spaces that line both sides of the road here. You can make a “pit stop” here, but the facilities are pretty stinky if not less primitive than elsewhere in the park.

ThurstonLavaTube9.jpg

ThurstonLavaTube1.jpg

ThurstonLavaTube8.jpg

After exploring the Lava Tube, we drove just a bit further along Crater Rim Drive to Pu’u Pua’I Overlook

PuuPuaIOverlook5.jpg

PuuPuaIOverlook6.jpg

At this point, we had planned on taking the ½ mile each way, 45-minute walk through the cinder outfall of the 1959 eruption of Kīlauea Iki on the Devastation Trail that starts just beyond the end of the Pu’u Pua’I overlook parking area. This paved trail is wheelchair and stroller accessible. However, it was now pretty cold and rainy and everyone was more or less done with looking at volcanic ash and that which grows around it, so much to my poor hubby’s chagrin :mad:, we opted to head back to Hilo instead.

DevastationTrailhead1.jpg

But, wait – we were in Hawaii and still hadn’t seen a Hawaiian waterfall!! So, off we headed back up Highway 11 to Puainako St and then out Komohana St just a ¼ to quickly check out Rainbow Falls. After a 45 minute drive we had arrived at one of the most accessible waterfalls near Hilo. We hiked a half-mile loop on a paved walking path through lush tropical vegetation to a scenic vista overlooking the Rainbow Falls cascading 442 feet down to the gorge below. Just don’t stay too long as the mosquitoes are BRUTAL!!

rainbow_falls1.jpg

Rainbowfallswalk1.jpg

And, since we were so close to Pe’epe‘e Falls and the Boiling Pots, we decided a quick trip down the road to see them as well was well worth loading back up in the van for another 5 minute drive. Boy, we were not disappointed!

peepeeFalls1.jpg

BoilingPots1.jpg

After a quick 4 mile/10 minute drive to get back to the port (filling up the gas tank on the way), I dropped off hubby, DS (5) and DMIL and DFIL back at the port just before 6pm and who should be right there dropping someone else off, but my wonderful Hertz shuttle driver, Mike!! I guess quitting time was extended with so many Disney cruisers still milling about!! I told him I’d follow him back to the airport with my drop-off and asked if then he could then bring me back and he said “sure.”

Drop off was a 3 minute venture and I was headed back to the Wonder. Made it onboard at 6:30pm and rushed up to meet the rest of the crew for our “early dining” seating. Our servers were so kind as to bring me dinner, despite being 45 minutes late, and I was so grateful since they only offered the unique Hawaiian menus on the port nights.

Next up, MAUI

Wow that just looks amazing :) I would love to just up root the kids for a cruise they would be so surprised :)

-M

Can't wait to read your next installment. My family of 7 is on the Oct. Hawaii cruise and we've reserved cars at every port.

Alright, weekend’s over, so now back to work (and back to the DISBoards…hee, hee)

Kahului (Maui)

Arrival: 7:30am on Saturday, May 5th, 2012
Temperature: ~75 degrees and partly cloudy
Cost of Day/Excursions: ~$780 for 4 adults and 1 child ($90 for car rental with tax; $80 for lunch with tip; $80 for water shoes; masks & snorkels (that we didn’t use in Maui, but did in Oahu); $55 for Maui Ocean Center admission; $370 for 4 adults & 1 child’s luau dinner and show; $15 for gas and tips to Hertz shuttle driver; $90 for souvenirs at Maui Ocean Center)

I was the only one of our party that had been to Maui before and I had been here several times, so I was looking forward to seeing a couple of places that I’d yet to discover and shopping in Lahaina since I hadn’t gotten to do that on the Big Island. The rest of my group was willing to just go along with wherever the adventure might take us. Here is how the day played out...

So, with the craziness of literally running off the ship on the Big Island, I decided to take it a little “easier” in regards to our disembarkation in Maui. We arrived here at 7:30am and were scheduled to be in port until 10:30pm, so I felt like we wouldn’t be so crunched for time – boy was I WRONG!!

The Kahului port is a bit more secure than Hilo and only allowed registered car rental shuttles and tour bus companies to park inside the gates pierside. However, you could pull up your private vehicle just across from the pedestrian gate to the pier which was only 100 yards or so farther down the pier.

kahuluiharbor.jpg

I walked off the boat at Pier 1 about 8:40am and found the traditional yellow Hertz shuttle right in the gated parking lot alongside the ship. The rest of the car rental companies seemed to use regular vans, but they all go to the airport car rental lots. So, I simply jumped on the Budget shuttle (which was the first one to show up once I was out there waiting) and then just walked across the street to the Hertz counter rather than waiting for the actual Hertz shuttle. Our kind-hearted driver whisked us off to the Kahului airport where I picked up yet another white Dodge Caravan for our family’s exploration. The drive was only 10 minutes and I was pulling out of the Hertz lot by 8:59am (I’ve got the receipt to prove it!) I was parked back across the street from the passenger exit gate by 9:10 and we were all loaded up and ready to go by 9:15am.

Hertzshuttle.jpg

Our first stop here in Maui was WALMART (I know kind of sad, huh?!?!) But, we wanted to grab some cheap water shoes for the boys (us gals had packed some for ourselves – no big surprise!) and also grab some cheap masks and snorkels for DH and myself as well as DS (5) to see if he’d be able to do it. The Walmart is just 1.5 miles from the pier and only a 7 minute drive (101 Pakaula St off of Highway 380). We were able to get water shoes for DH and DFIL for only $15 each and masks and snorkels for us for $12 and for DS for $10 – well worth not lugging them from home! So, it addition to some snacks and toiletries that we wanted, we were out the door for just under $80 (how does that happen anyway?!?!

wal-mart-kahului-maui.jpg

So, about 9:40 we were on our way to the Tropical Gardens of Maui to check out the 1 mile round trip hike I’d read about. When we arrived, it was obvious that this place was really nothing more than an overgrown 4 acre nursery with a pretty run down little shop at the front. Yes, they had a nice trail that wound through the grounds, but with an admission price of $5/person (military was free), it just didn’t seem a good choice for our family. In fact, the lovely lady at the front desk suggested that, for our family’s interests, we would probably be happier just keeping on down the road to the Iao State Park which is exactly what we did!!

It only took us about 5 minutes to drive the 2 miles further down Iao Valley Rd (Highway 32) to get to the Iao Valley State Park. At the entrance to the park, there was a dude sitting on a folding chair collecting money for parking although all my notes had indicated that park admission was free. I must admit I am somewhat of the cynical type, so I suspect he was just collecting money and pocketing it as he wasn’t wearing anything that even remotely indicated that he was a park employee. I told him we were active duty military and that we thought admission was free. He kind of looked a little sheepish and so I asked if he could check to see if we were supposed to get complimentary parking. He told us he was the only one around to ask, so he figured it would be okay if we just parked for free – yea, sure it is!!!

We had DFIL’s handicap placard hanging from the rearview mirror, so we were able to park right at the sidewalk that led into the park. There was a well-marked, paved pedestrian path leading from the parking lot to view Iao Needle and the ridge-top lookout provides incredible views of the valley. However, there were a LOT of steps, so it was just fine for DH, DS and myself, but DMIL and DFIL decided to just take in the views from the first level.

We started our short hike from the parking lot and followed the cemented path to the left, completing the loop within 10 minutes. We then climbed up the cemented 133 steps to a viewpoint overlooking the stream and for a close up look at the Iao Needle and across the valley to the ocean. It was a great relaxing hike and perfectly suitable for our 5 year old son to enjoy without getting too tired. We saw all that there was to see in about 45 minutes and then headed out of the valley to explore more of what Maui had to offer.

IaoValleyNeedle.jpg

IaoValleyNeedle2.jpg

So, now we had to make a decision…did we go to the Maui Tropical Plantation to enjoy a narrated, 40-minute tram ride that would take us through where the plantation’s crops are cultivated to learn all about how coconuts, sugarcane, coffee, Macadamia Nuts, pineapple, papaya, mango, guava and bananas are grown. Or, do we head instead to the Maui Ocean Center where we could learn more about the underwater world around Maui through The Living Reef, Turtle Lagoon, Hammerhead Harbor and other exhibits. DCL had a trip to the Maui Tropical Plantation that our tablemates participated in and had a GREAT time, but we decided that hands-on was a better option for our active little DS, so onto the Maui Ocean Center we drove.

After an easy 9.5 mile drive that took about 20 minutes, we arrived at the Maui Ocean Center at about 11am. Tickets at the door are $25 (adults); $14.50 (children 3-12) and seniors ($22.50). If you purchase online in advance there is a 10% discount. It happened to be military appreciation month (May 2012) and so we got a 50% discount, so our party of 2 adults, 2 seniors and 1 child only cost us $54.75 – wahoo! More importantly, the sun started to come out so we could enjoy the mostly outdoor exhibits of the Ocean Center without getting drizzled upon.

The Ocean Center was very well done and there was lots to look at and even touch for our DS. However, to be completely honest, it was nothing compared to the Monterrey Aquarium or even Sea World which are both in our back yards and so we’ve seen them both many times. But, if you are a Midwest native and this is your first time to a Pacific aquarium, you probably won’t be disappointed especially the Hammerhead Harbor – way cool!!

MauiOceanCenter.jpg

MauiOceanCenter2.jpg

We spent about an hour and a half exploring the Ocean Center and then we all decided that we were getting a bit hungry. There is a great little open air restaurant that looks out over the harbor (Seascape Maalaea Restaurant). Here is a peek at their menu: http://www.mauioceancenter.com/downloads/SeascapeMaalaeaRestaurant_menu.pdf.

The grilled ahi was great especially the pineapple salsa. They also have a kids menu including our DS’s favorite: Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich!! Our meal for 4 adults and 1 child (with drinks) ran us about $80 with tip (ouch), but it was convenient, good food and had a great little view.

MauiOceanCenterRestaurant.jpg

There are several other restaurant choices (as well as some other shops) adjacent to the Aquarium in the Maalaea Harbor Center. So, if you want something a bit less expensive and more basic, that is certainly available to you here.

After lunch we poked around in the VERY large and expansive gift shop. There was a little bit of everything and it was pretty “classy” stuff. Of course there were the goofy, Hawaiian bobble head dolls, but there were also lots of unique Hawaiian crafted keepsakes. We bought quite a few of our gifts for folks at home here and I’m so glad we did

At this point, it was getting close to 2pm and we still wanted to make a stop at the Olowalu Petroglyphs before we headed into Lahaina for our evening luau that we had planned. So, we missed out on trolling about the other shops in the Harbor Center which was just fine as far as everyone was concerned but me (sigh).

We were off and running again – this time up Highway 30/Honoapiilani Highway about 8.5 miles to the Olowalu General Store. (its on the left side of the road). We parked in a shady spot in their parking lot and left DMIL and DFMIL to relax and rest up a bit while we hiked around the left side of the General store to the rusty water tower where we turned right onto a straight and level gravel road about ½ mile. There is no shade, but the path was easy for my DS, DH and myself to traverse. Truth is, you could have probably easily have driven your car down this dusty road, but by the time we realized that, we decided to just keep walking. At the end of the road, there is a sign that reads “Olowalu Cultural Reserve” and the petroglyphs are just to the left and up the path a bit – you can spot the metal railing and permanent sign on the hillside on your right.

olowalupetroglyphssign1.jpg

olowalu-petroglyphs.jpg

Granted they aren’t all that “exciting” but they are some of the few of the most accessible on the island of Maui and it was a nice little hike to alleviate our DS’s antsy-ness – a critical need for us as DS is not much a fan of driving! We didn't spend that much time at the petroglyphs; we were glad that they were free. They are definitely worth checking out if you have a few minutes and want to check out something off the beaten path on the way to Lahaina.

Now, Lahaina is really the shopping and cultural hub of West Maui. Many of the cruise ships pull in here rather than Kahului which really has very little beyond the airport. However, if your ship pulls into Lahaina, you have to tender your passengers to the shore. I heard from a few CMs that Disney doesn’t like to tender if they don’t have too. My cynical side also wonders if Kahului is just a cheaper place to port since the demand would seem to be more for Lahaina than Kahului, but that is just my opinion, not with any real basis.

So, I thought the family really couldn’t go to Hawaii without going to a luau. However, I also thought the DCL trip to the Old Lahaina Luau (OLL) was OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. I have been to the OLL and it was okay – really big, really cheesy, the bar was almost impossible to get to in the crowd and the food was just okay especially since it was cold by the time you ever get up to the buffet line.

So, I decided to undertake an “alternate luau” in Maui for our family and 64 of our closest DIS friends. Basically, I arranged for us all to meet at the ship at 4:15 and ride two Polynesian Adventures motorcoaches to Lahaina to participate in the Drums of the Pacific luau at the Hyatt Maui. It is just down the road from OLL and instead of being $198/adult and $129/child, it only cost folks $110/adult and $75/child for VIP tickets and round-trip bus transportation that offered first seating in the front row with our own dedicated drinks servers and first dibs on the buffet so the food was still pretty warm. Yes, the show was still pretty cheesy (mostly just the MC), but the hula dancers were amazing, the fire dancer was awesome and everyone seemed to have a good time. Our show/dinner started at 5:15 and ended at 8:30. The buses had everyone back to the port by 9:45 which was plenty of time to make the all aboard by 10:30pm.

drums_of_the_pacific_seating.jpg

drums_of_the_pacific_hula.jpg

drums_of_the_pacific_foof.jpg

drums_of_the_pacific_fire.jpg

Yes, the show was still pretty cheesy (mostly just the MC), but the hula dancers were amazing, the fire dancer was awesome and everyone seemed to have a good time. Our show/dinner started at 5:15 and ended at 8:30. The buses had everyone back to the port by 9:45 which was plenty of time to make the all aboard by 10:30pm.

If you any of you October sailors are interested in making similar arrangements with the Drums of the Pacific luau, I cannot gush enough over the gal at the Hyatt who helped me make our arrangements. She got us discounted tickets and made sure we were well taken care of. I also have all the rates for the transportation companies as well as contact info that I am happy to share. Just PM me.

Since we had our rental van, we just met everyone at the luau (and saved $125 for the 5 of us in bus transportation cost) and then I just dropped off the family at the boat and then went in search of a gas station. Let me warn you, there is NO gas station along the back road to the airport. You have to get gas on Highway 36/Hana Highway before you turn onto Highway 380/Kahului Airport Rd. I found this out the hard way when I had made it all the way to the airport and had to turn back around to find gas. Needless to say, by the time I dropped off our van it was 10:02pm and I was panicking a bit even though I knew it was only a 10 minute drive back to the pier at most. The first shuttle arrived at 10:07 and told us he could only go to the airport and back (seriously?!?!). Keeping in mind there were about a dozen Disney Wonder folks waiting with me, we all decided we would hijack the next shuttle if necessary to assure they took us to the port to make all aboard time.

Luckily that was not necessary as the next shuttle showed up at 10:09 and happily told us he was heading to the port. There were still 4 people to get onboard after we all had checked in (whew)!

So, my goal to do a little shopping here in Maui didn’t happen :sad: unless of course you count WalMart (sigh) – well, there was still two more islands to go!!

Next up, OAHU

The cruise sounds amazing! I would love to go to Hawaii

I would love information on the transportation. I would also love your contacts name for the Luau.

Your trip report is great. I have been taking notes!

Well, this installment will be quite a bit shorter because we didn’t do any excursions and instead spent the day with our San Diego neighbors who spend half the year at their condo in Waikiki...

Honolulu (Oahu)

Arrival: 7:30am on Sunday, May 6th, 2012
Temperature: ~73 degrees and mostly sunny
Cost of Day/Excursions: ~$90 for 4 adults and 1 child (car rental with tax only)

All of the adults in our group had been to Oahu before (in fact several times since my hubby is in the Navy). So, we had already done all the must-dos: Pearl Harbor; Bowfin; Diamond Head; Hanauma Bay; Waimea Bay and the North Shore. Unfortunately the two things I REALLY wanted to do because none of us had done them before is the Polynesian Cultural Center and the Iolani Palace. Alas, since we pulled in on a Sunday, both of these landmarks were closed. :sad2:

So, we instead decided to just meet up with our dear San Diego neighbors at their 2nd home condo in Waikiki and enjoy the day snorkeling and lounging about on the beach in Waikiki at their next door beach club (Elks Lodge 616).

Since we had no real plans, I walked off the boat around 9am at Pier 11 to a lovely serenade by a children’s choir from Aulani – very cute!

pier11honolulu1.jpg

I asked the first official person I found as to where I could find the car rental shuttles to the airport and they promptly informed me that there were none – WHAT?!?! I had specifically called the Hertz folks at the Honolulu airport counter to inquire about the availability of a shuttle at the cruise port before booking my minivan with them and they had assured me there was one. So, I decided I must have asked a buffoon and tried another “official.” Alas, I was given the same answer – NO CAR RENTAL SHUTTLES SERVE THE CRUISE SHIP PORT!!

I called the Hertz counter and asked very nicely how I was supposed to get to the airport to get my car and they (after MUCH back and forth) told me to get a taxi and they would give me a $20 credit on my reservation to off-set the cost. Oh, NOW they tell me. Granted the airport is only 5 miles away, but it was a $25 cab ride (yes taxis are QUITE expensive in Honolulu and traffic is slow, slow, slow). So, had I known this little tidbit about no car rental shuttles at the cruise port, I would certainly have rented my car from someone with a downtown location like Enterprise that has an office on Ala Moana Blvd – just 7 blocks (.75 miles) from the pier – totally walkable!!

So, I get to the Hertz counter and I am still trying to be nice (you get more with honey than vinegar, right?!?) and I inquire how I will be able to get back to the cruise ship pier after I drop my car off taht evening and they say that although they have a shuttle, it is not available after 3pm so I’ll have to take a taxi back. I ask how they will credit me for that cab fare and they say “we won’t – we paid to get you here afterall.” Seriously?!?! I was absolutely incensed by these folks' HORRIBLE service and I’m one of their Gold Customer for goodness sakes. At this point, it is too late to forego the vehicle since I am there and they have a more than 24 hours cancellation policy. So, I take it and just remind myself that I am in Hawaii with my family and this is just a $30 inconvenience.

BOTTOM LINE: Do NOT rent from Hertz in Honolulu!!!! And, if you do rent a car, make sure you rent from someone near the pier you are pulling into – we pulled into Pier 11, but you could pull into Pier 2 and they are located at 521 Ala Moana Blvd, a good ½ - ¾ miles from Pier 11 which is at 1 Aloha Tower.

By the time I get back to the ship to get my family it is closing in on 9:45am. The Honolulu port was by far the most secure of the ports we encountered. I had to maneuver quite the maze of one-way streets and gate guards to “sneak” my way back to the pier to pick up my family right at the Pier 11 entrance. Again, if you have a handicapped placard be sure to use it to “get around” all the security or else your group will have to walk quite a ways to meet up with you and your rental car

So, since it was Sunday, we all wanted to attend Mass somewhere close by. I had done some research and so we headed off to the Cathedral of Our Lady of Peace (1184 Bishop St, Honolulu). They have Sunday Mass at 9am; 10:30am; noon and 6:00pm (http://www.cathedralofourladyofpeace.com/).

This church is quite unusual in that it was built in 1843, but is now tucked in between the Century Square building – a modern skyscraper – and the Finance Factors building – another modern commercial office building. What results is a little bit of Hawaiian history right smack in the middle of the Honolulu hustle and bustle. The nice perk though is that modernity comes with a wonderful commodity for this church – underground parking under the Century Square building on Sundays for church-goers!! :thumbsup2

Cathedral_of_Our_Lady_of_Peace1.jpg

Mass was beautiful and the church offers a lovely tradition of asking if anyone is visiting and then presents the visitors with a shell lei of greeting. Even our DS (5) was patient and engaged in the just over 40 minute service. There is a gift shop on the premises, but unfortunately my DS was NOT patient enough for me to poke around in there (sigh).

Cathedral_of_Our_Lady_of_Peace2.jpg

Since it was now already almost 11:30, we headed out to our friends’ condo in Waikiki. I was again gratefully that I had brought along my TomTom, as I just had to punch in their address and off we went. About a 10 minute drive later we were pulling into their reserved parking spot – an essential need in Waikiki!!

When we arrive at the condo we gave/received lots of hugs, and then our dear friend presented us all with gorgeous handmade plumeria leis – what a treat!!

LeiGreeting1.jpg

We then just walked next door to the Elks Lodge #616 (2933 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu). If you are an Elk, I can’t recommend enough popping into this Elks Lodge, located right in Waikiki, to enjoy their beautiful pool, beach access and a frothy cocktail on their stunning lanai.

We spent the day lounging about the pool, eating lunch and drinking cocktails while playing in the pool and using our snorkel gear that we got in Maui to see all sorts of cool stuff right off the lodge’s private beach access platform.

ElksLodge5.jpg

ElksLodge7.jpg

ElksLodge6.jpg

ElksLodge8.jpg

Since we had missed the specialty Hawaiian menus on the ship on the Big Island and Maui, I really wanted to get back to the ship to try out the Oahu menu. So, we said our good-byes just after 5pm and jumped back in our rental van so I could drop the family back at the port and drive back to the airport. I tried one more time (with a new Hertz manager) did get some resolution as to a free shuttle back to the pier, but got the same story – "we don’t have a shuttle that serves the cruise port"…grrrr. However, she did offer me a $30 total credit on my reservation to help cover the $50 I spent on round-trip cab fare. Well, it was something!

I made it back onto the ship just after 6pm and our wonderful servers were happy to provide me an opportunity to order off the specialty menu and enjoy my meal with the rest of my family even though I was over 30 minutes late for Main Dining.

In hindsight, I wish my hubby and I had then left DS with DFIL and DMIL after dinner and gotten back off the ship and explored a bit of the downtown area. Of course, since it was Sunday we probably wouldn’t have been able to do much shopping since the Aloha Tower shopping center shuts down at 6pm and Ala Moana shopping center shuts down at 7pm on Sundays. But, a nice evening stroll to the Kaka’Ako Waterfront park or the Ala Moana Beach park would have been nice, but we just didn’t think to do that.

kakaakopark1-1.jpg

Sadly my goal to do a little shopping in Oahu again didn’t happen – no one to blame but myself though as I certainly could have gone and done so instead of just lounging around like a beached whale – oh well, there was still Kauai!!

Next up, Kauai

First I wanted to say thank you for putting together the alternative luau in Maui. :thumbsup2 We absolutely loved it and I know it must have been a lot of work.

I just wanted to make a comment about the Honolulu car rental just in case someone else is looking at renting a car from the port. We rented through Thrifty rental car and they picked us up at the port, actually right outside the terminal doors. I have been blogging about the trip and included a little more information in the blog www.dis-n-that.blogspot.com. They were waiting for me by name and when we returned the Jeep the we had rented they called back a shuttle from the airport to drop us off at the port. We may have waited 5 minutes if that for the shuttle to arrive.

I just wanted to make a comment about the Honolulu car rental just in case someone else is looking at renting a car from the port. We rented through Thrifty rental car and they picked us up at the port, actually right outside the terminal doors. I have been blogging about the trip and included a little more information in the blog www.dis-n-that.blogspot.com. They were waiting for me by name and when we returned the Jeep the we had rented they called back a shuttle from the airport to drop us off at the port. We may have waited 5 minutes if that for the shuttle to arrive.

Thank you so much for adding this!

My cab driver mentioned that Thrifty had a "contract" with Norwegian for their inter-island cruises and that they picked up their customers at the port. However, he told me that was only on Saturdays.

Did you have to call Thrifty when you arrived or were they there at Pier 11 with a sign waiting for you?

I'm so glad there IS an option for car rental pick-up at the port. Looks like I just managed to speak to not just one but two port official bufoons!! :clown::clown:

Our reservation confirmation for Thrifty said to call 30 minutes ahead so we called when we were still in our room. The Thrifty rep said there was already a shuttle there that was getting ready to leave and did we want it to wait for us. Since we were still on the ship and in our room we said we would just catch the next one and by the time we got off the ship 15 minutes later there was another shuttle already there.
It was very nice on the shuttle because the driver asked if we were Blue Chip members and we were so he phoned ahead so our paperwork would be waiting.
When we turned the Jeep in at the end of the day the clerk called the shuttle driver and we waited about 5 minutes for the shuttle to arrive back at the car rental location and were taken directly to the ship and dropped off right in front of the terminal.
Overall it was a very good experience with Thrifty. My brother has rented from Thrifty in Honolulu before and he has had no troubles either.

Okay, here is my final segment on our port adventures. I hope these were at least a little bit helpful to those sailing in October.

Nawiliwili (Kauai)

Arrival: 7:30am on Monday, May 7th, 2012
Temperature: ~75 degrees and mostly sunny
Cost of Day/Excursions: ~$90 for 4 adults and 1 child (car rental with tax only)

After three days in port and running at Mach 2 through much of our days, we were all pretty tired coming into the port at Kauai. Unfortunately this is the island that we had planned the most “adventurous” day, so we all had to pump one another up to have the energy to start off strong since we only had until 5:30 on the island this day.

disney_shipinport-rev.jpg

We arrived at Pier 2 in the Nawiliwili harbor and I jumped off the boat by 8am (not literally of course!) and was relieved to see the Hertz shuttle right outside the Pier 2 building that whisked me quickly to the airport in less than 5 minutes! Upon my return, the port security were great about letting me back in the gate, but only had a single spot for me to park with my handicapped placard that was probably still 200 yards from the building – good thing my DFIL had his cane.

Nawiliwiliport-Pier2.jpg

Unfortunately, DH forgot to grab our DS’s booster seat, so he had to run back on the ship to get it. We were then able to pull out about 8:40 and head for our first destination – O’Paeka’a Falls. After a 8 ½ mile/15 minute drive we arrived at the pull out for the falls. This waterfall is easily one of the island's most accessible major waterfalls. This convenient stop made for a memorable photo opportunity.

OpaekaaFalls-rev.jpg

We then walked a couple hundred yards uphill from the Opaekaa lookout and across the road for a great view of the Wailua River Valley and interior plains beyond.

OpaekaaFalls-WailuaRiverview-rev.jpg

The reason we headed to these falls first was because we wanted to be close to the Komokila Hawaiian Village (http://villagekauai.com/). Kamokila was recommended by the “Revealed” book series and it was a great tip. We rented a 3-person kayak for $35/adult and $20/child for my DH, DS and me. They gave us a map and instructions on how to get to King & Queens bath, Secret Falls, Fern Grotto and a swimming hole complete with rope swing. Because the Kamokila Village is located about a mile up the river from the other kayak rental companies you'll be very thankful when you don't have to paddle so far into the wind on the way back down the river to get back!

The owners/workers here are VERY relaxed and definitely Hawaiian. They work out of a little hut at the entrance to the village and are quite helpful in getting you geared up with a dry bag, life jackets and kayaks. We put our DS (5) in the middle with me in front and DH in the back to do the “heavy” paddling. It was really not difficult at all to get to all the places on the below map.

Map.jpg

Kayaking was the easy part....the hike to Secret falls (about 35 min each way) has you wading thigh-high through a river hanging onto a rope (DH carried DS for fear he would be swept away!); hiking on 8 inch wide paths through 8 foot high sugarcane, stepping through roots when the path is muddy and climbing over rocks....all worth it to see the Secret Falls and Baths.

kayaks.jpg

Crossingtheriver.jpg

We passed several other tour groups where the guide was explaining Hawaiian forklore and some of the plants they were hiking through which would have been very interesting (we eavesdropped a bit). But, tours like this take at least an extra hour that we didn’t want to spend especially with DS (5) in tow. The water was VERY chilly and we hadn’t brought dry clothes, so we didn’t swim, but what a great experience.

SecretFalls-rev.jpg

We didn’t continue on to the King & Queen’s Baths as it was a 30 minute hike back to the kayak we left on the bank and DS was getting pretty tired and the mosquitoes were starting to bite! So, we got back in the kayak and paddled on to the Fern Grotto. This was nothing particularly interesting to see as the last decades’ hurricanes have more or less ruined it. We enjoyed the paddling though and continued on to the swimming hole. It's a pool in the river that is about 30 feet deep. There is a cliff and a rope swing that people jump off of. We had fun making stacked rock sculptures in the riverbed and skipping stones. Lots of folks were here jumping from the rope swings. By this time DS was pretty tired (2 ½ hours), so we paddled back and arrived back in the Village about 12:30.

We had a great time. This is definitely something anyone can do on their own and doesn't need a tour group to facilitate. The kayak was a LOT more comfortable than other kayaks I have rented and even DS didn’t complain at all about the seating. I would definitely come to this place for any hiking/kayaking you would be interested in, especially if you'd rather do it on your own and have more time to spend swimming under the waterfall and checking out the grotto and the swimming hole.

You can also take an outrigger canoe ride with a guide as long as you have at least 2-paddling seats and up to 3-paddling seats (including the guide) and 3-just riding seats (for seniors or youngsters). For $20-$30/person, you can select to go to the Fern Grotto or the Swimming Hole or the Secret Falls (you have to do the hike to see the falls though).

outriggercanoe-rev.jpg

We thought this would be a GREAT trip for our DMIL and DFIL since they are 77 and not exactly in great shape. There was another group of folks willing to join them with another paddler and a rider, so it looked like it would work out just fine. Unfortunately, once DFIL saw how far he’d have to step down to get in the canoe (and consequently how far he’d have to step up to get out), he backed out. Although MUCH more stable than a kayak, I’d say anyone who uses a cane would not be comfortable with this trip (sigh). Since DMIL didn’t want to leave DFIL behind by himself, she bowed out too. I was really disappointed for them as I had planned this trip so we could all enjoy a bit more of the beauty of Kauai beyond what you can see from the roadway. They ended up sitting in the van writing postcards and reading their books while we explored - they swore they were fine, but I felt horrible. :sad2:

Once we arrived back at the Village, we were all STARVED and headed into Kapaa to seek out some REAL Hawaiian food. I had told everyone that I really wanted to try an authentic Hawaiian plate lunch, so DH found us a Market/Deli on Kuhio Highway – Pono Market – that was FABULOUS!! I had Spicy Lobster and Spicy Shrimp with, of course, a scoop of rice and a scoop of macaroni salad while my DH and ILs enjoyed the Lau Lau. My DS even tried their Beef Stew and Mango juice.

PonoMarket.jpg

Everywhere we stopped throughout the day I had been inquiring of locals as to whether there was a bookstore nearby as I had brought the Hunger Games book along on the ship and had finished it and was desperate to acquire the 2nd book. Much to my surprise and dismay, I found out that there was only ONE bookstore on Kauai – Borders – and it went out of business in August – ACCCKKK!!!!

Now I was in a panic. How in the world was I going to float all the way back to Los Angeles without a good mindless book to accompany me?!?! Since I was probably only one of six people on the Wonder still actually reading books instead of Kindles, etc., I didn’t have the option to just “download” it. This was desperate! But, after a chat with a wonderful gal at the Kapaa Longs Drugs (4-831 Kuhio Hwy # 500) where we had stopped to get a few essentials for DFIL and DMIL, she gave me an idea…KMART!!

Since DH really wanted to still get to Wailua Falls before we had to head back to the ship for the 5:30pm all aboard. I drove like a bat on a mission to the Kmart in Lihue (4303 Nawiliwili Road). And, much to my delight, they not only had book #2 but book #3 too – wahoo!!!

KMart.jpg

With my treasured tomes in my possession, we headed to Wailua Falls. Wailua Falls is the must-see waterfall to visit on the garden island of Kauai mainly because it is the most easily accessible waterfall. It was really quite pretty, dropping in 3 separate segments. In high flows, it is a single massive falls. As I understand it, Wailua Falls is the waterfall that used to be shown on the old TV show, Fantasy Island.

wailuafalls-rev.jpg

Once we’d seen the falls, we realized it was only just after 3pm and so we still had time to drive the 40 minutes down the coast to enjoy Spouting Horn Park before we had to turn in the rental car. So, off we went down Route 50 to the park. The gem of this park is the remarkable blowhole formed when the waves eroded softer, underlying rock and wore through the harder top rock. This particular blowhole is different from others found throughout the state as another hole nearby only blows air, making a loud groaning sound.

Legend states that this southern Kauai coast was guarded by a large mo'o (lizard) who ate everyone who tried to fish or swim here. One day, a man named Liko entered the water. When the mo'o went to attack him, he swam under the lava shelf and escaped through the hole. The mo'o became stuck and was never able to get out. The groaning is the cry of hunger and pain from the lizard still trapped under the rocks. Sure did sound like an unhappy giant lizard to me!!

Spouting-Horn-rev.jpg

Unfortunately I was so enamored with just watching the blowhole spout over and over, I didn’t leave myself any time to browse through the sort of permanent open-air bazaar right by the Spouting Horn overlook. There are some interesting crafts made by local artists, and tons of el cheapo, imported souvenirs. Darn it, now I HAVE gotten to the last stop where I can do some shopping and I blew it…oh well, no souvenirs for the friends back home I guess (sigh).

Shops-Near-Spouting-Horn-rev.jpg

With a quick drop off of the family back at Pier 2, I was on my way to the Lihue airport. Unfortunately I AGAIN found myself on the airport grounds before I found a gas station to refuel. So, back out I drove. I finally found a Chevron on Rice Street – quickly filled up, dropped off the van and made it back to the Wonder with the last Hertz shuttle about 5:15pm. Yes, I was one of those folks running up the gangway to make the 5:30 all aboard fearful of a fine!!

Thank you so much for posting your trip report. We are on the October cruise and I am enjoying reading anything I can from the April cruisers! I have been particularly interested in how renting a car would work from the ports, thank you so much!

AWESOME Trip Report and GREAT INFO for our Oct DCL Hawaiian Cruise - THANKS for taking the time!
Sherri:banana:

The trip report was fabulous! Going on wonder cruise in October. thanks for the incite into the car rentals in Honolulu. Kittie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter