Inappropriate Work Attire

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharpMomOfTwo

DIS Veteran
I work in a realtor office as an Admin. The realtors come in and go out, no one really comes in every day but a few of the guys (one of which sits there all day every day, doing nothing....). When the women do come in, however, they are almost always wearing very tight, very revealing work out clothes. Its all spandex all the time, and not one of them has the body for it!!!

Since when is it appropriate to go out in spandex work-out attire when your not only NOT going to to the gym, but going to your office?!? Maybe they are on their way to the gym, or something, but at least cover up with a running jacket or something!!

And this is coming from the girl who takes her shoes off in her office!!! :cool1:

dont see the big deal as long as they are not meeting with clients.

so what if they come from/to the gym, stop by and pick up stuff that they need while in work out clothes?

Sorry but not an issue

Careful, as seen on the "Dressing down" thread, there are a large group of people on the boards who feel it doesn't matter what someone wears or where they wear it. It is obviously your fault for caring because what does it matter? And, by the way, you're a bad person for judging others.

Seriously, though, I am shocked at what some people wear to work. I was in the Apple store about two weeks ago and one employee had his pants so far down that I could see his butt crack through his underpants. As I said to the manager when I complained, "Your employees don't know how to put on pants and you want me to trust them to know about computers?!"

dont see the big deal as long as they are not meeting with clients.

so what if they come from/to the gym, stop by and pick up stuff that they need while in work out clothes?

Sorry but not an issue

I don't believe this people are coming to/from the gym - they think it looks good. And trust me - it don't look good!!!!!! :lmao:

I work in a realtor office as an Admin. The realtors come in and go out, no one really comes in every day but a few of the guys (one of which sits there all day every day, doing nothing....). When the women do come in, however, they are almost always wearing very tight, very revealing work out clothes. Its all spandex all the time, and not one of them has the body for it!!!

Since when is it appropriate to go out in spandex work-out attire when your not only NOT going to to the gym, but going to your office?!? Maybe they are on their way to the gym, or something, but at least cover up with a running jacket or something!!

And this is coming from the girl who takes her shoes off in her office!!! :cool1:

I see your point but I kind of think it's a different situation with realtors. Not sure how the office you work at is run but a lot of the realtors I know don't have set office hours. They do work at home, at the office and are running all over the place showing listings, etc. at all hours of the day and night so I could understand a realtor who isn't meeting with clients popping into the office after being at the gym or grocery store in casual attire to get messages, return calls etc.

If they were required to be at their desks in the office everyday from 9 to 5, then yeah, I'm with you and I'd expect to see a more professional look. Otherwise I don't think there's anything wrong with it. And I'd bet that when they're showing homes, they're decked to the nines. :)

I think there should be some sort of standard in offices and people like that are just going to ruin it for everyone. They might find that management cracks down on everyone because of them and they won't be very popular after that.

My dad used to work for a gas company... he was a manual laborer, as were all the guys who worked out of this office. They had one female who answered phones and sat at a reception desk. Holy cow, you should have seen how this woman dressed! Remember the 80s with the sweaters that were extremely low cut (like down to the belly, or they could come down low on the back) that you were supposed to wear tank tops with? She must have had the same sweater in every different color and would wear slinky low cut camisoles with them and super tight jeans or skirts. Or she'd wear an open blazer over the camisoles. What's worse, the woman was of a certain age and very overweight. My dad said she was looking for a man.

Not a very good impression on the wives of those workers or their kids!

Anyway, just something I remembered from my childhood. Carry on. :laughing:

Oh, I thought you were saying they were wearing spandex to work (as in to show houses etc...). Umm...if they are stopping in on the way to the gym, what is the problem?

As I say on all the other "appropraite clothing" threads. Mind your bidness. Does it affect you in some way? Is it inconveniencing you? Would I wear that? Nope, but I could give a hoot if someone else does.

Well I have a question for you....Does it bother you in the sense that you think it is inappropriate to wear that kind of attire into an office or does it bother you in the sense that you think the women don't have the body for it and have no business wearing it at all? I myself used to have a gym membership and would wear my workout clothes while running errands like going to the store, paying bills, etc. Heck, one time I even wore to the dentist for a real quick check on something and then went to the gym. I always find it so interesting as to why people really care what other people where? Also the whole catty aspect of women judging other women's bodies is a problem for me. Perhaps you could look at it in the sense that if they are a bit overweight then they are going to the gym, which would be a positive thing and perhaps you could commend them on their efforts. However, my personal opinion on the matter is that it really shouldn't be an issue and to frankly mind your own business.

I always find it so interesting as to why people really care what other people where? Also the whole catty aspect of women judging other women's bodies is a problem for me. Perhaps you could look at it in the sense that if they are a bit overweight then they are going to the gym, which would be a positive thing and perhaps you could commend them on their efforts. However, my personal opinion on the matter is that it really shouldn't be an issue and to frankly mind your own business.

:thumbsup2 :worship:

The decision about what is or is not appropriate is between the managers/owners and the employees. If both are happy with the current arrangements, then condemning the employees is a transgression, imposing one's own personal preferences onto both the managers/owners and the employees. In essence, in that scenario, the complaint is not about wearing that specific type of attire "to the office" but instead the complaint is simply about wearing that type of attire in the complainer's presence. That's indefensible.

Beyond that, right now, I think begrudging any commission-based real estate sales person a marginal bit of additional convenience is dirty pool.

I always find it so interesting as to why people really care what other people where?
I think there is a very strong tendency in our society to judge others by our own personal values. I don't think it is in any way limited to matters of attire; we see the same thing in practically every aspect of society. It is getting better, over time, slowly, but there are still many vestiges of the problem.

As I've grown older, one's appearance is less important to me than their general conduct, competence, integrity, attitude and compassion toward others.

To clarify.... Generally, I don't really care what people wear while going out. At the mall, at the movies, out to dinner - I'm not really looking at others, so I don't really care - and if its really bad, it can sometimes be a form of entertainment - lol. But at work, I just don't think its appropiate. No matter if they are realtors with set hours or not, I just think you should have a little more respect for your office than to wear all over spandex.
I think it also has something to do with the fact that the few women that do this, I can't stand for reasons other than their attire. They are loud, obnoxus (sp?) and when they walk into the office, I hide in my office!!! I really have nothing to do with them, or the reality part of the office, so I can easly stay away from them, but you can't excape their loud obnoxus voices.

I see your point but I kind of think it's a different situation with realtors. Not sure how the office you work at is run but a lot of the realtors I know don't have set office hours. They do work at home, at the office and are running all over the place showing listings, etc. at all hours of the day and night so I could understand a realtor who isn't meeting with clients popping into the office after being at the gym or grocery store in casual attire to get messages, return calls etc.

If they were required to be at their desks in the office everyday from 9 to 5, then yeah, I'm with you and I'd expect to see a more professional look. Otherwise I don't think there's anything wrong with it. And I'd bet that when they're showing homes, they're decked to the nines. :)
The other thing about realtors is that they work on commission. If thier unprofessional attire causes them to make fewer sales, than the problem will self-correct. If their attire doesn't affect sales, than there really is no problem.

To clarify.... Generally, I don't really care what people wear while going out. At the mall, at the movies, out to dinner - I'm not really looking at others, so I don't really care - and if its really bad, it can sometimes be a form of entertainment - lol. But at work, I just don't think its appropiate. No matter if they are realtors with set hours or not, I just think you should have a little more respect for your office than to wear all over spandex.
I think it also has something to do with the fact that the few women that do this, I can't stand for reasons other than their attire. They are loud, obnoxus (sp?) and when they walk into the office, I hide in my office!!! I really have nothing to do with them, or the reality part of the office, so I can easly stay away from them, but you can't excape their loud obnoxus voices.

And here we have the real problem. You really would have a problem with anything they wore. Maybe they are really busy, and trying to fit a workout into their schedule? You really have to avoid them to such a degree that you HIDE in your office???

For what it's worth, I'm a realtor. Today I am going to pick up my mail in a sweatshirt, capris and a baseball cap. Our Admin asst is nice enough to not barracade the doors when I show up.

And here we have the real problem. You really would have a problem with anything they wore. Maybe they are really busy, and trying to fit a workout into their schedule? You really have to avoid them to such a degree that you HIDE in your office???

For what it's worth, I'm a realtor. Today I am going to pick up my mail in a sweatshirt, capris and a baseball cap. Our Admin asst is nice enough to not barracade the doors when I show up.

barracade the door?? :confused3 I guess saying something for the sake of saying it is cool :thumbsup2

And by the way, capris and a baseball cap is a far cry from head to toe spandex.

barracade the door?? :confused3 I guess saying something for the sake of saying it is cool :thumbsup2

And by the way, capris and a baseball cap is a far cry from head to toe spandex.

Yay! I'm cool! And I think someone has a problem cutting those commission checks......

was there visible armpit hair????

Mikeeee

Ah...OP just doesn't like the ladies. I understand the problem now.

No, your right, I don't really like them. But thats only HALF the issue. The other issue is the HEAD TO TOE SPANDEX!!! It aint pretty!

spandex.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter