In-Room Sitters - Kids Night Out

maeejordan

Earning My Ears
Has anyone used the Kids Night Out service that Disney promotes?

We will be running the Princess 10K in February 2019.. We thought about bringing someone to join us to take care of our (will be) 2 year old. However, since we are renting DVC, we need to book early and it's too early for anyone to commit to a yes.

We've decided to look into a in room sitter. He'll probably be asleep most of the time since it's early in the morning.. but this is our first time using the service so feedback is welcomed to calm these nerves.

princess:::MinnieMo::MickeyMo

Has anyone used the Kids Night Out service that Disney promotes?

We will be running the Princess 10K in February 2019.. We thought about bringing someone to join us to take care of our (will be) 2 year old. However, since we are renting DVC, we need to book early and it's too early for anyone to commit to a yes.

We've decided to look into a in room sitter. He'll probably be asleep most of the time since it's early in the morning.. but this is our first time using the service so feedback is welcomed to calm these nerves.

princess:::MinnieMo::MickeyMo
We did not have good luck with it. We used it in order to go out for the evening. DD was in grade school, and she was very well-behaved and mature for her age. That's a good thing because she basically babysat herself that night. The babysitter was not interested in talking to DD or playing a game. She watched a show that she wanted to watch rather than find something they would both be interested in watching. Then she fell asleep. DD tried waking her up, and she just yelled at her. When we got home, the woman woke up, and my DD was beside herself.

I wrote a letter complaining, and my money was refunded. But there was no compensation for my DD being afraid and feeling like nobody was there to protect her.

I would try really hard to bring someone you trust if possible. Good luck.

I understand your desire to both do Disney and a 10K, but I never saw the desire to have a babysitter at Disney. Going there is about family time, and it's the easiest place ever to take kids (I've taken mine alone since they were 4 and 6).

Is it really worth it to bring someone just for a 10K? That would add plane fare, their room, their meals, etc.... If I were bringing help, I would expect to foot their whole bill. Not worth it just for a short early morning run IMHO.

I understand your desire to both do Disney and a 10K, but I never saw the desire to have a babysitter at Disney. Going there is about family time, and it's the easiest place ever to take kids (I've taken mine alone since they were 4 and 6).

Is it really worth it to bring someone just for a 10K? That would add plane fare, their room, their meals, etc.... If I were bringing help, I would expect to foot their whole bill. Not worth it just for a short early morning run IMHO.
The OP is asking about hiring a sitter because they aren’t bringing help.

The OP is asking about hiring a sitter because they aren’t bringing help.

I understood that they said it was too early for anyone to commit.

It would cost a lot less to hire someone, and some folks do this at Disney. I don't know how popular it is as it's nothing we'd ever needed.

It would be a lot cheaper to have one of the in room sitters come.. that's why we are looking into it. If we brought "help" it would be one of our parents who realize we wouldn't pay for the entire trip. We'd help with rooms and what not. Or a close friend who wants an excuse to go to Disney anyways. But with renting DVC and having to make plans so early out.. we don't someone else to have to make a year commitment.

The whole trip is about family and we make every trip that way.. But we, as a couple, want to do something new together and running a 10K is a goal for us. So we thought let's combine a goal AND a vacation! We're going to run early in the morning which will allow for family time the rest of the four days. Our son will be asleep pretty much the whole time we're gone except for maybe two hours.

I'm hoping when we get closer, a family member or close friend who wants an excuse to go to WDW will say, hey I'll go that weekend and hang out while yall run and make a joint trip.. even if we don't get to stay in the same hotel. But, if that's not the case.. I'm hoping the in-room sitter works out for us :-)

**Edit - we live close enough that it is only a 5 1/2 hour drive. So no flights involved.

I understood that they said it was too early for anyone to commit.

It would cost a lot less to hire someone, and some folks do this at Disney. I don't know how popular it is as it's nothing we'd ever needed.

It would be a lot cheaper to have one of the in room sitters come.. that's why we are looking into it. If we brought "help" it would be one of our parents who realize we wouldn't pay for the entire trip. We'd help with rooms and what not. Or a close friend who wants an excuse to go to Disney anyways. But with renting DVC and having to make plans so early out.. we don't someone else to have to make a year commitment.

The whole trip is about family and we make every trip that way.. But we, as a couple, want to do something new together and running a 10K is a goal for us. So we thought let's combine a goal AND a vacation! We're going to run early in the morning which will allow for family time the rest of the four days. Our son will be asleep pretty much the whole time we're gone except for maybe two hours.

I'm hoping when we get closer, a family member or close friend who wants an excuse to go to WDW will say, hey I'll go that weekend and hang out while yall run and make a joint trip.. even if we don't get to stay in the same hotel. But, if that's not the case.. I'm hoping the in-room sitter works out for us :-)

**Edit - we live close enough that it is only a 5 1/2 hour drive. So no flights involved.
Just something that crossed my mind....how will your son react to waking up to a stranger without you both being there? We've never used a sitter at Disney so I can't speak directly to that - it's just the first thing I thought of when reading your post.

We have used Kids Nite Out twice and have also brought family or a sitter along on a few trips when DS was younger. We had a good experience with Kids Nite Out. Our sitter came at night when DS was already asleep so he never even saw her. The sitter was incredibly thorough and safety conscious. If you have any concerns with your DS being afraid if he wakes up and there is a stranger there, perhaps consider hiring the sitter for a minimum amount of time earlier in the trip so he can meet her before the morning of the race. When we asked for the same sitter for both of our evenings out, Kids Nite Out accommodated us.

Just something that crossed my mind....how will your son react to waking up to a stranger without you both being there? We've never used a sitter at Disney so I can't speak directly to that - it's just the first thing I thought of when reading your post.

You know that's a great question.. I think it's too far to know with him changing so much. He's only 1 1/2 right now. He's done well with waking up with sitters or family members that he hasn't seen in a while before.

We have used Kids Nite Out twice and have also brought family or a sitter along on a few trips when DS was younger. We had a good experience with Kids Nite Out. Our sitter came at night when DS was already asleep so he never even saw her. The sitter was incredibly thorough and safety conscious. If you have any concerns with your DS being afraid if he wakes up and there is a stranger there, perhaps consider hiring the sitter for a minimum amount of time earlier in the trip so he can meet her before the morning of the race. When we asked for the same sitter for both of our evenings out, Kids Nite Out accommodated us.

Thanks for that idea! The lady I spoke with on the phone was really nice and informative. My husband and I agree that we feel Disney would not promote or back a business that are not some how accredited.

I'm so glad I found this post because I was wondering the same thing. My BFF and I are going in October. We're both HUGE horror fans and I have always wanted to do Universal's Halloween attraction however we are taking 4 kids and they certainly love Halloween as well but would probably not be able to handle this. My oldest is 13 and has watched them briefly while we ran to he store or a short errand. We will have a family Suite at AoA on Disney property so I was contemplating letting her watch them in the hotel room as we would be going at night. But then I worried what if there was an emergency and wanted to look into possibly getting a sitter. Our kids would all be awake when the sitter got there so that's not a concern for me. But I wonder what the sitter would do with them. I was planning on bringing some travel games for the kids to play in the room and I'm hoping they would just go to sleep but wasn't sure who to call about a sitter. I wasn't sure if there were sitters on Disney property or if you had to use an outside company. So I will look into Kids Nite Out as mentioned above, are there any other services I could look into? Thanks!!

I'm so glad I found this post because I was wondering the same thing. My BFF and I are going in October. We're both HUGE horror fans and I have always wanted to do Universal's Halloween attraction however we are taking 4 kids and they certainly love Halloween as well but would probably not be able to handle this. My oldest is 13 and has watched them briefly while we ran to he store or a short errand. We will have a family Suite at AoA on Disney property so I was contemplating letting her watch them in the hotel room as we would be going at night. But then I worried what if there was an emergency and wanted to look into possibly getting a sitter. Our kids would all be awake when the sitter got there so that's not a concern for me. But I wonder what the sitter would do with them. I was planning on bringing some travel games for the kids to play in the room and I'm hoping they would just go to sleep but wasn't sure who to call about a sitter. I wasn't sure if there were sitters on Disney property or if you had to use an outside company. So I will look into Kids Nite Out as mentioned above, are there any other services I could look into? Thanks!!

I called Disney inquiring what they offer.. and they led me to Kids Nite Out and their website promotes it. The rates are based on how many kids and there is a 4 hour minimum and 24/7. I called with all the questions I had and the woman was really helpful. Your best bet is to call them and ask all everything you want to know. She did mention that they bring games, crafts, etc for them to play in the room with. They are allowed to take them on site to the playground and to eat, but not allowed to take them to the pool. You can also exchange contact information for checking in throughout the night.

I called Disney inquiring what they offer.. and they led me to Kids Nite Out and their website promotes it. The rates are based on how many kids and there is a 4 hour minimum and 24/7. I called with all the questions I had and the woman was really helpful. Your best bet is to call them and ask all everything you want to know. She did mention that they bring games, crafts, etc for them to play in the room with. They are allowed to take them on site to the playground and to eat, but not allowed to take them to the pool. You can also exchange contact information for checking in throughout the night.

That is awesome!! Ya, we would go later in the evening so I would prefer for them to stay in the room. But I love hat they bring stuff for the kids to do because that's something I was curious about. At home we have a ton of games for them to play with but at the hotel it will be different. Thanks so much for the info!

I can't speak to Kids Nite Out specifically, because we haven't used them, but I'm fully 100% in support of the idea of getting a sitter. There's no reason to feel bad, feel guilty or anything like that. DW and I started using a sitter at WDW when our kids were 1, 1 and 4. The first few times, it was a live in au pair, so that's certainly very different. But we started using a hired babysitter when they were 5, 5, 8. We found her using SitterCity...or maybe it was Care.com, I forget. The first few times, she just watched the kids in our rental condo (we stay offsite). They absolutely loved her, she was wonderful. The next trip we made, we actually started to have her babysit in WDW. She'd meet us in MK, for example, and she'd take the kids and DW and I would go do our own thing. Kids are now 10, 10 and 13 and they still look forward to seeing her, even though we're comfortable letting them go around the parks on their own without her. She's become a family friend. We visit with her every trip.

So yes, choose carefully, but go for it! Check out Sittercity or Care.com

We used Kids Nite Out our last trip so we could go to V&As for the evening. Unlike a previous poster whose experience sounds utterly awful our son and his sitter had an absolutely fantastic time. We had Paula and she was a grandmother age lady. She went to dinner with my son and then took him to the community hall at BWV. She commented how they laughed and laughed all night long. My son seemed quite smitten too and wanted to show me all his cool new bean bag tossing moves he had invented. At any rate, ask for Paula and you will for sure have quality care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter