In Defense of Disneyland's Castle

Which Castle Is Your Favorite?

• Disneyland

• Walt Disney World's

• Disneyland Paris

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sorry, boys...size really does matter. I go for Cinderella Castle.

:lmao:

when we were at DL, my kids refused to look at it...
every time we crossed the park, they would avert their eyes and yell out, "don't look at it"....
and they were in their late teens at the time...

In actuality, we have friends that live in California and we've always poked fun at the Disneyland Castle (and Disneyland in general) because folks that love Disneyland feel the need to defend it for some reason.

It's Walt's vision. It's intimate. It's more atmospheric. It's got a legacy.

And my favorite....it's THE ORIGINAL.

To which we alwasy respond...but it's smaller.

If you have listened to other DIS unplugged podcasts, you will have heard each of us sing the praises of Disneyland. All of the accolades mentioned above are true.

Another thing that is seldom mentioned is the fact that there are many long term cast members in Disneyland that have been around for many years. I cant think of a better way to spend time then to listen to them tell stories of the early days. I've met a few and it was awesome.

WDW has a younger cast for the most part. They are great but dont have the history that a lot of the Disneyland cast does.

Please understand that none of us meant Princess Aurora, her Castle, Disneyland or Walt himself any ill feelings. we are all truly devoted fans.

But if ya keep telling me it's THE ORIGINAL....I'm gonna keep pointing out that Walt came to Florida for the "blessing of size" and that Disneyland fits in our parking lot.

That last part always makes the CA folks sputter. :rolleyes1

Kevin

Kevin,

You are right about the fairness of the DIS podcast. They give equal praise to both DL and WDW, in fact sometimes I think you sing Disneyland's praises a little more.

You last comment struck a chord with me, because I hear the bus drivers at WDW say it all the time. "Disneyland will fit into the Magic Kingdom parking lot".
Here is why it makes me sputter. Download Google Earth (It's free). Bring up a satellite photo of both parks and the MK parking lot. Use the measuring tool in the program and measure both Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. You will discover 2 things: 1) Yes indeed Disneyland will fit in the MK parking lot, and 2) so will the Magic Kingdom!:)

This clever little quip has been handed down from bus driver to bus driver thru the ages, and I always wonder how many of them have ever actually been to Disneyland for themselves.

P.S. Tell Pete I second the motion on you doing a dining review of Napa Rose. You are the premire Disney Podcast, DIS fans deserve a well rounded represntation of both resorts!

all 3 castle designs are great, but i decided to vote for disneyland paris's castle as it is the only design to remain unique (CA was copied for HK, and FL for Tokyo).
plus, i live in europe and have more memories of DLP than the other resorts. DLP castle has a dungeon, 2 shops, plus an upper level complete with tableau and balcony. there is a wishing well and a stage too.
sleeping beauty castle at disneyland paris also looks more dreamy and fantasy like than the other casltes ive visited at CA and FL - mainly bc when theybuilt the park they realised that europeans saw casltes more or less everyday throughout europe; somehting which north americans would consider a novelty.

i do love all the castles, but thats my reason for voting paris.

you can c my pics of all 3 castles on my flickr - click the link in my signature!!

D.

If you have listened to other DIS unplugged podcasts, you will have heard each of us sing the praises of Disneyland. All of the accolades mentioned above are true.

Another thing that is seldom mentioned is the fact that there are many long term cast members in Disneyland that have been around for many years. I cant think of a better way to spend time then to listen to them tell stories of the early days. I've met a few and it was awesome.

WDW has a younger cast for the most part. They are great but dont have the history that a lot of the Disneyland cast does.

Please understand that none of us meant Princess Aurora, her Castle, Disneyland or Walt himself any ill feelings. we are all truly devoted fans.

But if ya keep telling me it's THE ORIGINAL....I'm gonna keep pointing out that Walt came to Florida for the "blessing of size" and that Disneyland fits in our parking lot.

That last part always makes the CA folks sputter. :rolleyes1

Kevin

Kevin,
Noy sputtering at all. My motive on posting this up..was just to tease Bob a bit really. (There is no way DL's castle will win a poll either on a WDW centric board..but it is fun to explore).:banana: You folks do have one of the best even-handed takes on all the pixie dust."tips hat"

No size resentment from this Californian - In fact writing this from Satatoga Springs.

And btw Mr Winters...DLP's castle makes my heart go a flutter too. Thanks for the pics.

Thanks for the great podcasts...and Dwelty, maybe we sould create a paypal button for that "send Kevin to Napa Rose" foundation!!

and btw a satisfied customer- BV suites was great for us last night.:yay:

Sorry, boys...size really does matter. I go for Cinderella Castle.

Bigger does not always mean better.;) :goodvibes My heart will always be with the DL castle as that is the first Disney park I ever stepped foot in and it is old school Walt! Going back again next month!

The DL castle is small, and underwhelming, but I still love it. It looks like a stately country castle, and the best thing about it, IT'S PINK! A friend of mine took a picture once of SB's Castle in the spring with all the trees in front in bloom with small pink cherry blossoms and it's absolutely charming.

It takes exactly 9 steps to walk through it... princess:

I realize that someone brough up the question as to "What princess went with what castle?" And here's my answer for that.

(1) WDW - Cinderella
(2) DL - Sleeping Beauty
(3) DLParis - Belle (She is in France after all!)
(4) DLTokyo - Ariel (Island, in middle of ocean, my logic!)
(5) DLHong Kong - Mulan (Only Asian Princess)

As for the long running debate as to which castle is better, I say they all have their charm. I was at DL and WDW, my better half has been to WDW, DL, DLT, and DLHK. Overall, DLT and DLHK look exactly like DL.
But the point of the castle in DL isn't so much that it needs to host tons of people, I think it was just meant to be the symbol of the park. I'm happy with them all, and to prove it, I voted for DL AND WDW! :P

I haven't seen it in person, but the DLP Castle looks amazing! I love the way it is built into the hills! I may have to change my vote though as I am returning to WDW for the first time in 21 years next month.

I realize that someone brough up the question as to "What princess went with what castle?" And here's my answer for that.

(1) WDW - Cinderella
(2) DL - Sleeping Beauty

As for the long running debate as to which castle is better, I say they all have their charm. I was at DL and WDW, my better half has been to WDW, DL, DLT, and DLHK. Overall, DLT and DLHK look exactly like DL.
But the point of the castle in DL isn't so much that it needs to host tons of people, I think it was just meant to be the symbol of the park. I'm happy with them all, and to prove it, I voted for DL AND WDW! :P

Thank you for the answer!:yay:

(1) WDW - Cinderella
(2) DL - Sleeping Beauty

uh DLP's castle is in fact Sleeping Beauty Castle and has nothing to do with Belle... In fact ours is more a Sleeping Beauty Castle than either of the others at HK or CA... We have a dragon in the lair (Maleficent), it has a gallery on the first floor complete with artifacts, stained glass windows and tapestries, and as well as all that, the plaque on the front above the portcullis actually says Le Chateau de la Bella au Bois Dormant (Sleeping Beauty Castle)

Secondly, how is TDL the same as DL? Do you mean the Castle or the Park as a whole? TDL's Castle is more or less an exact copy of WDW's, not DL's... and the park is totally different too... I'm confused...

Maybe it's something to do with being abducted by aliens at the petrol pump the other day (don't ask - that's another story lmao!)

;)

D. :wizard:

uh DLP's castle is in fact Sleeping Beauty Castle and has nothing to do with Belle... In fact ours is more a Sleeping Beauty Castle than either of the others at HK or CA... We have a dragon in the lair (Maleficent), it has a gallery on the first floor complete with artifacts, stained glass windows and tapestries, and as well as all that, the plaque on the front above the portcullis actually says Le Chateau de la Bella au Bois Dormant (Sleeping Beauty Castle)

Secondly, how is TDL the same as DL? Do you mean the Castle or the Park as a whole? TDL's Castle is more or less an exact copy of WDW's, not DL's... and the park is totally different too... I'm confused...

Maybe it's something to do with being abducted by aliens at the petrol pump the other day (don't ask - that's another story lmao!)

;)

D. :wizard:

I may be wrong (who? me?), but I think minicoopercraig was just suggesting princesses that would logically be residing in those castles. I base this guess on the reasoning presented in the parentheses. And the fact that Mulan is not a princess...she's a hero. BIG difference.

:P lol maybe i'm too much of a disney fan to accept that mulan could live in SBC!! "omg mulan?! in SBC?! you guys crazy!!!?" lmao

ok, i'll shut up now haha

D.

I was just going logisticly (sp) with the characters and which one I thought went with each castle. Since I've only ever been to WDW and DL, I don't know the insides of the others. I was going to say that Snow White should have a castle as well. But since they don't ever actually say a country name in the movie, I would have to say she should be in Europe too. But then again, all of the original fairy tales that these are based off of came from Europe, so it's kind of a moot point. I didn't want to create a debate. I was just stating which one I thought should go where. And since Mulan isn't a princess, I don't know who should be the "king of the hill" so to speak in Hong Kong?
Maybe that should be the next debate. But since Snow White doesn't have a castle and has more senority over anyone else, why doesn't she have one?! I'm rambling again aren't I?! ;-)

We love both castle's. We were at disneyland in May and it was a shock to see just how small it is compared to WDW's. It really looked great since they gave it the paint job for the 50th birthday celebration. I just wish they would allow you to walk upstairs in the castle like they used too. Any idea why they stopped this?

Suppoisdly it stopped becasue of the events of 9/11/2001 and has never reopened, causing speculation that Disney does not want to spend the money to staff the attraction.

I have been to WDW many times. My first trip to WDW was in 1973, so the first castle I ever saw was the Cinderella castle. Myself and DS (who is now 26) made our first trip to DL in August, 2007. I think in terms of size I was expecting something bigger and was disappointed at first. However, by the second day I was really appreciating the history of DL and Snow White's castle. Plus you get a much better view of Tinker Bell during the fireworks, and for much longer. By the time the trip was over, I was truly in awe of the real magic of Disney. Let's not forget the unique aspects of DL. They still have the electric light parade which I have not seen in years. I did not realize how much I missed it. My son could not remember the electric light parade when it was at WDW. He was around six years old. He said he loved seeing all the original characters, and liked it more than Spectromagic. I also loved their afternoon parade, which is done around 6:00 p.m. It was like seeing portions of the parades from the other three parks at WDW in one. I enjoyed the parade at DL better. In all, I DL was great! I still like WDW better, but anyone who loves all things Mouse knows it is a must see!!! There are things I like better at DL, and things I like better at WDW. Each has its own place.:love: :banana:

There are things I like better at DL, and things I like better at WDW. Each has its own place.:love: :banana:

i totally agree. people are too quick to judge DL on its size and age. but it really is the Happiest Place on Earth. true disney magic really does LIVE at DL CA :goodvibes :wizard:

:love:

I have been to WDW many times. My first trip to WDW was in 1973, so the first castle I ever saw was the Cinderella castle. Myself and DS (who is now 26) made our first trip to DL in August, 2007. I think in terms of size I was expecting something bigger and was disappointed at first. However, by the second day I was really appreciating the history of DL and Snow White's castle. Plus you get a much better view of Tinker Bell during the fireworks, and for much longer. By the time the trip was over, I was truly in awe of the real magic of Disney. Let's not forget the unique aspects of DL. They still have the electric light parade which I have not seen in years. I did not realize how much I missed it. My son could not remember the electric light parade when it was at WDW. He was around six years old. He said he loved seeing all the original characters, and liked it more than Spectromagic. I also loved their afternoon parade, which is done around 6:00 p.m. It was like seeing portions of the parades from the other three parks at WDW in one. I enjoyed the parade at DL better. In all, I DL was great! I still like WDW better, but anyone who loves all things Mouse knows it is a must see!!! There are things I like better at DL, and things I like better at WDW. Each has its own place.:love: :banana:

I agree dalstitch45 There are things I love about both parks. we were at Disneyland in May and loved it. I had forgotten how much I loved it.

Joe and I went to Disneyland a couple years ago.

When we got onto Main St., he stopped me, and pointing to Sleeping Beauty's Castle, said,

"Looks like a castle, only smaller!" :rotfl2:

We think it has "castle envy".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter