In a Pickle....DLH or PPH? Which one...

Which would be YOUR choice?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We stayed at PPH last month. We loved the location. I know that there are hotels on Harbor that are closer but the bag check lines were long. DLH is closer but not by much. The price difference is so big between the 2 that it didn’t seem worth it to me. I was very happy at PPH.

:crazy:...hooboy, so many great arguments for both locations....so, I'm guessing that you can no longer walk through DGC to get the DTD....? :confused3

:crazy:...hooboy, so many great arguments for both locations....so, I'm guessing that you can no longer walk through DGC to get the DTD....? :confused3

Correct. You cannot go in the front entrance of the GCH unless you are a hotel guest or have a dining reservation. You can go BACK that way (you can enter GCH from DTD) but not TO the parks.

Correct. You cannot go in the front entrance of the GCH unless you are a hotel guest or have a dining reservation. You can go BACK that way (you can enter GCH from DTD) but not TO the parks.
....security reasons?

....security reasons?

People have different theories. Too many people going through the GCH lobby affecting the vibe, makes the hotel more exclusive etc. Personally I think it has more to do with the security checkpoints and traffic flow. Once they made all of DTD within the security zone they had to place a bag check/security checkpoint in the breezeway between DTD and the GCH. This checkpoint is pretty small given the space (only two metal detectors/bag check stations) and I don't think it has the capacity to handle the additional traffic of people cutting through the GCH to get to the parks so they routed all non-GCH foot traffic to the security checkpoint at the end of DTD near the DLH.

The Disneyland hotel is the best hotel on Disney property when you consider price imho. Its better than the higher priced small rooms of the Grand for me and my family. The PPH to me is not a good value when you consider price and its location. The PPH did not start off as a Disney property and it shows from what I've seen of it. Its not bad, but for the money, its not good. For what you pay for a standard room there you can often get a suite at one of the off property hotels. Plus its a pretty long walk for the price you have to pay. We usually stay off property and have a great time so don't feel you have to drop big bucks and stay at any on property hotel to have a great trip.

But if you decide to stay at the Disneyland hotel, and you love all things Disneyland, I highly recommend you get this book and read it. It will make your stay even more magical. The kindle version is 10 bucks and worth every penny of it. I cannot say enough good things about this book if you love Disneyland and its history. Its a Great Book !!

https://www.amazon.com/Disneyland-Hotel-Early-Years-1954-1988/dp/0976877910

Last edited:
The Disneyland hotel is the best hotel on Disney property when you consider price imho. Its better than the higher priced small rooms of the Grand for me and my family. The PPH to me is not a good value when you consider price and its location. The PPH did not start off as a Disney property and it shows from what I've seen of it. Its not bad, but for the money, its not good. For what you pay for a standard room there you can often get a suite at one of the off property hotels. Plus its a pretty long walk for the price you have to pay. We usually stay off property and have a great time so don't feel you have to drop big bucks and stay at any on property hotel to have a great trip!!

But if you decide to stay at the Disneyland hotel, and you love all things Disneyland, I highly recommend you get this book and read it. It will make your stay even more magical. The kindle version is 10 bucks and worth every penny of it. I cannot say enough good things about this book if you love Disneyland and its history. Its a Great Book !!

https://www.amazon.com/Disneyland-Hotel-Early-Years-1954-1988/dp/0976877910
...thanks for the tip!

You can. There’s just another bag check.

(We have kids/stroller. By the end of the day, I didn’t want to deal. Start of the day, I’m organized, bags open at the ready for a speedy bag check.)

You can. There’s just another bag check.

(We have kids/stroller. By the end of the day, I didn’t want to deal. Start of the day, I’m organized, bags open at the ready for a speedy bag check.)

You cannot go TO the parks this way any more. You will be asked to show a GCH room key or reservation at the front doors unless you're lucky enough to slip through without being asked. You can go OUT this way without needing a GCH room key or reservation though.

....security reasons?

When they enveloped DTD into the security bubble they added two security checkpoints in the breezeway between GCH and DTD. To prevent those checkpoint from getting overwhelmed and preventing GCH guests from getting to the parks expeditiously, they now direct all non GCH guests around though DTD. PPH and off site guess used to use the GCH lobby as a shortcut which would now back up the checkpoints more than they already are. They are protecting access a bit for the GCH guests that are paying a premium for proximity.

That is why you can no longer enter the front door of the GHC, but you can still enter via DTD or DCA unrestricted and you can also still exit through the GCH as a short cut back to PPH.

I did not know this when I visited and I was able to get in through the front entrance...now I feel like a deviant. Lol.

I did not know this when I visited and I was able to get in through the front entrance...now I feel like a deviant. Lol.

They went from a full time security guard at the corner...to only a security guard at peak times (which is why it was hit or miss on enforcement), to now a physical gate that you need to enter your room card or be buzzed in on the walk up pedestrian path.

We are currently at DLH. This is our 3rd stay but we have stayed at PPH and GCH numerous times. PPH being our default pick.

With our current experience right now my vote is PPH. I was disappointed with our first and current stay at DLH. Our second stay 2 years ago was great. This time, not so much.

We book standard and the rooms have all been different. I thought it was a tower difference but not I’m not sure. Our room right now is rather small and dark. It’s rather cramped being only 2 beds long. No couch or table. No sitting chair. Our room during our our second stay was quite huge.

Location at DLH is nice. It’s cute and themed. Easy access to Tangoroa/Trader Sam’s. But I honestly don’t mind/care about the walking distance from the park. AND as we left California Adventure tonight, we didn’t cut through Grand California Hotel since wed have to go through another round of security to get back into Downtown Disney. So we had to circle back to the entrance. This making it longer. (I’ll add that it’s raining this weekend)

PPH is predictable hotel room layout. Consistent in size. You basically have 2 rooms. Park facing or sunset. Premium rooms, you are higher. But you can chance it and possibly get a higher room. But even the lower room is just fine. The rooms are larger and bright. The only room I didn’t like was pool level. (Smells like chlorine) other than that the view rooms are fantastic. I’ve watched the fireworks and world of color numerous times from the room.

They also give you 2 bottles of water in the room. This is new but we’ve had it at all of our stays recently. And if you really want to look at cost savings, we always valet at GCH and DLH but at PPH, there’s no need. Parking is right behind the hotel. There are actually more toiletries too. It’s not much but I noticed the other hotels didn’t offer a q-tip/cotton pack. I don’t know if this is just a Pixar Pier promo. But it’s a nice touch. (GCH USED to give sun burn gel and foot lotion but I haven’t seen it lately). There’s a Pixar ball in the room that’s just adorable. In addition to being big and bright, there’s plenty of lighting.

Our current DLH room consist of 2 lights. One on the desk and side table. And an overhead ambience one over the tv console. There are bedside reading lights but it doesn’t help light up the room. And if the bathroom is closed, the closet is in the dark. (DTD facing room at the Adventureland Tower)

For reference, the past 12 months we’ve stayed at PPH 3 times, GCH during fall dapper day and DLH this weekend. And 2 of those PPH stays we’ve gotten a free surprise upgrade.

That's interesting. We had a standard room at DLH recently in the Adventure tower, but it was one King bed facing towards the pool area on the 5th floor. I loved the room and the only real complaint I had was that the shower/toilet room was sort of dark in the shower.

We stayed at PPH before and really liked it, too. They actually did some extra pixie dust stuff for us there for our 5th wedding anniversary.

.....I think that I will be changing my reservations to DLH....unfortunately, since I booked through Dreams Unlimited, I cannot link my hotel reservation to my Disneyland app on my phone...!!! :badpc: (although I was able to make dinner ADRs with the phone...:confused3 )

.....I think that I will be changing my reservations to DLH....unfortunately, since I booked through Dreams Unlimited, I cannot link my hotel reservation to my Disneyland app on my phone...!!! :badpc: (although I was able to make dinner ADRs with the phone...:confused3 )

Hotel reservations don't show up in the app. It would be nice if they did!

Yeah, I wish Disney were more consistent with that because WDW regulars always seem to be confused as to why their reservations for DLR hotels don't show up in the app.

We are currently at DLH. This is our 3rd stay but we have stayed at PPH and GCH numerous times. PPH being our default pick.

With our current experience right now my vote is PPH. I was disappointed with our first and current stay at DLH. Our second stay 2 years ago was great. This time, not so much.

We book standard and the rooms have all been different. I thought it was a tower difference but not I’m not sure. Our room right now is rather small and dark. It’s rather cramped being only 2 beds long. No couch or table. No sitting chair. Our room during our our second stay was quite huge.

Location at DLH is nice. It’s cute and themed. Easy access to Tangoroa/Trader Sam’s. But I honestly don’t mind/care about the walking distance from the park. AND as we left California Adventure tonight, we didn’t cut through Grand California Hotel since wed have to go through another round of security to get back into Downtown Disney. So we had to circle back to the entrance. This making it longer. (I’ll add that it’s raining this weekend)

PPH is predictable hotel room layout. Consistent in size. You basically have 2 rooms. Park facing or sunset. Premium rooms, you are higher. But you can chance it and possibly get a higher room. But even the lower room is just fine. The rooms are larger and bright. The only room I didn’t like was pool level. (Smells like chlorine) other than that the view rooms are fantastic. I’ve watched the fireworks and world of color numerous times from the room.

They also give you 2 bottles of water in the room. This is new but we’ve had it at all of our stays recently. And if you really want to look at cost savings, we always valet at GCH and DLH but at PPH, there’s no need. Parking is right behind the hotel. There are actually more toiletries too. It’s not much but I noticed the other hotels didn’t offer a q-tip/cotton pack. I don’t know if this is just a Pixar Pier promo. But it’s a nice touch. (GCH USED to give sun burn gel and foot lotion but I haven’t seen it lately). There’s a Pixar ball in the room that’s just adorable. In addition to being big and bright, there’s plenty of lighting.

Our current DLH room consist of 2 lights. One on the desk and side table. And an overhead ambience one over the tv console. There are bedside reading lights but it doesn’t help light up the room. And if the bathroom is closed, the closet is in the dark. (DTD facing room at the Adventureland Tower)

For reference, the past 12 months we’ve stayed at PPH 3 times, GCH during fall dapper day and DLH this weekend. And 2 of those PPH stays we’ve gotten a free surprise upgrade.
This is great review. I just booked a premium park view at paradise pier. It was cheaper than a standard at dlr. It's already an increase in price for us as we were booked at a good neighbor but changed today in order to have early access to Galaxy's Edge at the end of June during early morning hours.

I was second guessing the choice thinking I should get dlr but I think I'll keep my park view room at pp (it was the cheapest room left today. Lol)

This is great review. I just booked a premium park view at paradise pier. It was cheaper than a standard at dlr. It's already an increase in price for us as we were booked at a good neighbor but changed today in order to have early access to Galaxy's Edge at the end of June during early morning hours.

I was second guessing the choice thinking I should get dlr but I think I'll keep my park view room at pp (it was the cheapest room left today. Lol)
SW:GE won't be available during EMM; however, if staying onsite during May 31 to June 23 the land entrance will be exclusively given on a reservation (free) based system subject to availability. The advantage of staying on-site during that time is that you will be automatically assigned that reservation (essentially a "guaranteed" entrance) to access the land. It should be noted that there will be no FP for SW:GE at open and Disney hasn't said at all when it would be available. I purposefully chose an on-site stay for September to get access to SW:GE during EMM but I'm no longer holding on hope for that, early FP using MaxPass during EMM, or any guaranteed access to the land like the first opening month.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-studios/?CMP=SOC-DPFY19Q2wo0307190313190002C

SW:GE won't be available during EMM; however, if staying onsite during May 31 to June 23 the land entrance will be exclusively given on a reservation (free) based system subject to availability. The advantage of staying on-site during that time is that you will be automatically assigned that reservation (essentially a "guaranteed" entrance) to access the land. It should be noted that there will be no FP for SW:GE at open and Disney hasn't said at all when it would be available. I purposefully chose an on-site stay for September to get access to SW:GE during EMM but I'm no longer holding on hope for that, early FP using MaxPass during EMM, or any guaranteed access to the land like the first opening month.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-studios/?CMP=SOC-DPFY19Q2wo0307190313190002C
Yeah I read that today but we're there after those dates in June. So it won't be open for early hours then either, do you know? Hmm glad I haven't cancelled my good neighbor hotel yet. I'm going to hold onto it for a while I guess until closer to the date!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter