• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Impromptu July trip ....

BecAus

Mouseketeer
So...after not intending to return for another 2 or 3 years I am now seriously considering a solo trip in July.
The rest of my family are doing a week long fishing charter and whilst I was going to just stay home I've now got it in my head, why not go to DL!

I would fly in to LAX on Tuesday 14th July at 6.30am and fly out Sunday 19th July at 10.30pm so 5n.
I would only get a 5 day ticket and that is 6 'days' including arrival and dep days so one of those days (prob arrival day) or a day in between I would have off. I'm not into shopping much etc.. so wouldn't be interested in going to any outlets etc... although I do usually like to go down and have a look at Target - last time the one down there on Harbor was pretty bare though, like it was being renovated or something, lots of empty spaces?

Disneyland would be celebrating their 65th birthday on the 17th - I haven't heard of them planning anything for that at the moment?

With points / pay I can get a pretty cheap flight with Qantas for ~ $535AUD. It's about a 28hr journey from my home to Anaheim and I would go thru Melbourne this time.

I wanted to do the accom pretty budget. I looked up a few of the options I know of. I could get Kings Inn for ~ $730 USD (incl. of taxes) for the 5n but I really think it would be too far to walk.

D.I. & S would be ~ $1,030 and I decided it would probably be better to spend the extra $300 USD / $450 AUD and stay there, I think I would regret not staying closer.

Last night I came across Candy Cane Inn though that I see talked about a lot. For ~$70 USD / $100 AUD - total - I could stay in a standard room there. I thought it would be a lot more than that. They also have their own shuttle of course. It is about 500 meters further than D.I. & S (don't know what that is in US 'speak') but it is probably quite a nice stroll in the morning, if one wants to go earlier than the shuttle, and then you would have the option of taking the shuttle back either during the day or at the end of the night.

Does anyone have an opinion on which of those two would be better. i get the impression Candy Inn is probably a much nicer motel than Desert Inn. Would you choose that over D.I. or stick with the closer option.
I'm not a big breakfast eater so that's not a major factor in my thinking. I have stayed at Desert Inn a couple of times so I do know what I'm getting there. Unlikely I would use the pool but I 'MIGHT' if I stayed at Candy Cane but I don't usually swim - more likely to relax in room for a couple of hours than swim.

Tickets:

I've looked at all the usual recommendations and it looks like Expedia might be the best deal at the moment.
They have a special on for Aus/NZ's - get a 4 day hopper for price of 3 day.
$534 AUD / ~ $347 USD for a 4 day hopper ticket.
Disney charges $20 difference between the 4 and 5 day hopper so if I'm not mistaken I can likely upgrade to 5 days for only $20 if they bridge the price (is that the right term?)
If not, I'll just pay whatever but it might be an option? It definitely seems to be the best price on tickets I can find though.
We've had the 10day ticket a couple of times previously but it has jumped dramatically in price, by several hundred now, so that wouldn't be worth it.

In the current climate I also like the fact that Expedia is offering free cancellation up until 24 hours before on the D/L tickets and obviously hotel cancellation is around 3 days before so i feel like I'm not outlaying a huge $$ / risk should things deteriorate with the whole CV thing going on.

Despite not planning a trip soon I've been reading the RotR thread from the start so luckily I'm up to speed a bit on the goings on with that / crowds etc..
I'd been trying to wean myself off the thread but I'm glad I've been reading it now!
I'm not into SW at all - never seen a movie - but I feel like I would have to go on this new attraction that everyone is raving about. Not sure if I would be as amazed given I know nothing about SW but I think I would like to see it.

My husband and I were there last July and I didn't go on SR as I get motion sickness but I sent him on it SR. He was a bit 'meh' about it but I think he just doesn't like going on attractions by himself, he might have liked it more with the kids.

If I'm going to do this I need to book the flight today.
Any thoughts on Desert Inn or Candy Cane being a better fit?
Unless I'm missing something - the Expedia deal seems like the best available option at the moment.
I would decided on MP on a day by day basis. Being solo I'm not sure if I would need it although having used it 2 or 3 x now I would find it hard to do without but I might just see how I go.

So...after not intending to return for another 2 or 3 years I am now seriously considering a solo trip in July.
The rest of my family are doing a week long fishing charter and whilst I was going to just stay home I've now got it in my head, why not go to DL!

I would fly in to LAX on Tuesday 14th July at 6.30am and fly out Sunday 19th July at 10.30pm so 5n.
I would only get a 5 day ticket and that is 6 'days' including arrival and dep days so one of those days (prob arrival day) or a day in between I would have off. I'm not into shopping much etc.. so wouldn't be interested in going to any outlets etc... although I do usually like to go down and have a look at Target - last time the one down there on Harbor was pretty bare though, like it was being renovated or something, lots of empty spaces?

Disneyland would be celebrating their 65th birthday on the 17th - I haven't heard of them planning anything for that at the moment?

With points / pay I can get a pretty cheap flight with Qantas for ~ $535AUD. It's about a 28hr journey from my home to Anaheim and I would go thru Melbourne this time.

I wanted to do the accom pretty budget. I looked up a few of the options I know of. I could get Kings Inn for ~ $730 USD (incl. of taxes) for the 5n but I really think it would be too far to walk.

D.I. & S would be ~ $1,030 and I decided it would probably be better to spend the extra $300 USD / $450 AUD and stay there, I think I would regret not staying closer.

Last night I came across Candy Cane Inn though that I see talked about a lot. For ~$70 USD / $100 AUD - total - I could stay in a standard room there. I thought it would be a lot more than that. They also have their own shuttle of course. It is about 500 meters further than D.I. & S (don't know what that is in US 'speak') but it is probably quite a nice stroll in the morning, if one wants to go earlier than the shuttle, and then you would have the option of taking the shuttle back either during the day or at the end of the night.

Does anyone have an opinion on which of those two would be better. i get the impression Candy Inn is probably a much nicer motel than Desert Inn. Would you choose that over D.I. or stick with the closer option.
I'm not a big breakfast eater so that's not a major factor in my thinking. I have stayed at Desert Inn a couple of times so I do know what I'm getting there. Unlikely I would use the pool but I 'MIGHT' if I stayed at Candy Cane but I don't usually swim - more likely to relax in room for a couple of hours than swim.

Tickets:

I've looked at all the usual recommendations and it looks like Expedia might be the best deal at the moment.
They have a special on for Aus/NZ's - get a 4 day hopper for price of 3 day.
$534 AUD / ~ $347 USD for a 4 day hopper ticket.
Disney charges $20 difference between the 4 and 5 day hopper so if I'm not mistaken I can likely upgrade to 5 days for only $20 if they bridge the price (is that the right term?)
If not, I'll just pay whatever but it might be an option? It definitely seems to be the best price on tickets I can find though.
We've had the 10day ticket a couple of times previously but it has jumped dramatically in price, by several hundred now, so that wouldn't be worth it.

In the current climate I also like the fact that Expedia is offering free cancellation up until 24 hours before on the D/L tickets and obviously hotel cancellation is around 3 days before so i feel like I'm not outlaying a huge $$ / risk should things deteriorate with the whole CV thing going on.

Despite not planning a trip soon I've been reading the RotR thread from the start so luckily I'm up to speed a bit on the goings on with that / crowds etc..
I'd been trying to wean myself off the thread but I'm glad I've been reading it now!
I'm not into SW at all - never seen a movie - but I feel like I would have to go on this new attraction that everyone is raving about. Not sure if I would be as amazed given I know nothing about SW but I think I would like to see it.

My husband and I were there last July and I didn't go on SR as I get motion sickness but I sent him on it SR. He was a bit 'meh' about it but I think he just doesn't like going on attractions by himself, he might have liked it more with the kids.

If I'm going to do this I need to book the flight today.
Any thoughts on Desert Inn or Candy Cane being a better fit?
Unless I'm missing something - the Expedia deal seems like the best available option at the moment.
I would decided on MP on a day by day basis. Being solo I'm not sure if I would need it although having used it 2 or 3 x now I would find it hard to do without but I might just see how I go.
I think you've done a good job of thinking this through. Personally, I would go with CCI because we really like the great customer service, the property is very well maintained and clean, the shuttle is nice to have as a backup (we usually walk), the pool area is nice and clean -- nice for a short rest in the afternoons, and the free breakfast is helpful (you could always grab some fruit to take with you for later). We haven't stayed in a standard room, though, so I don't know what those are like. Overall, I don't think it will make a huge difference where you stay since you'll be solo and since both locations are quite close. How fun that you'll get to do a solo trip this summer!

I love DL in July! Long days, everything is open...it's awesome. I doubt you would need MP, but you could just buy it for a day, as you already know. I get a lot more done when I am solo. You'll be surprised by how fast you can get through the parks when you are alone.

I haven't stayed at either of those hotels, but based on what I've read, I would only stay at Candy Cane Inn. It just sounds a little more hotelish whereas the other sounds very motelish to me. Also, CCI has the shuttle which you may not need to use, but I am sure it will be nice if you get tired of walking. Whichever you choose, read the cancellation policy carefully. You may be able to get lower rates as the stay draws nearer and if the cancellation policy is good, you can cancel and rebook.

We prefer Candy Cane. We generally do the premium rooms. The beds and pillows are nice, and it is just a comfortable stay.

Agree with above posters, go with the CCI. It’s a great little hotel. For one person a standard room would be just fine. Have a great trip!

... I'm not a big breakfast eater so that's not a major factor in my thinking...
The quote below from another current thread has a good description of the free "continental" breakfast at the CCI. If you decide to go with the CCI, you could easily grab some things to take with you to eat while waiting to do the ROTR BG Boogie in the morning. (And we have had reliable reports of DISers getting BGs from Starbucks in DCA and in DTD!)

They have croissants with ham and cheese inside that are cut in half. They're best served toasted, though the sign above the toaster does say not to put them in there. They also had Oikos Greek yogurt when we were there in February. Between that, the cheese cubes, hard-boiled eggs and milk from the dispenser, I felt like there were plenty of filling high-protein options. I actually kind of prefer those options to a full hot buffet because they're easier to eat on the run or pack in a Ziploc to eat while waiting in the entrance line.

We stayed at the Clarion recently (Dec) and were very pleased..it was very budget friendly and we just popped over to the Toy Story lot and hopped on the buses, never had to wait. The pick up/drop off is nice and close too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter