Immanuel Kant and wearing masks in public.

you're stuck with 99 other people. One of you has Coronavirus and doesn't know it. Masks...

• ... should be warn by everyone.

• ... should be warn by most people.

• ... should be warn only by those comfortable wearing one.

• ... it doesn't matter because masks don't do anything at all.

• ... it doesn't matter because the virus is going to get everyone eventually anyway.

• ... should be warn by everyone but me.

Results are only viewable after voting.

cobright

DIS Veteran
There've been plenty of threads about wearing masks or not and why, or why not. It's refreshing to see the honesty for our motives that come up, whatever they may be, a diversity representing the differing experiences we all have with this pandemic and I don't intend to make this thread about judging anyone for their decision. I have a view on the matter, and I think people who feel differently are likely wrong, but that's okay. Either they're wrong or I am, it probably doesn't make them (or me) a bad person.

But an answer in a different thread did get me thinking about the roots of ethical behavior. In all things ethics, I fall back to Kant because he says what most of us believe so succinctly. He says that for a action to be ethical one must...
"Act only on that maxim through which you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law ."
Essentially, to be a good person, we must act in a way that we would prefer everyone else, in our position, would have to act.

Most people who decide not to wear a mask seem to look at wearing a mask as a personal decision that affects themselves primarily and others minimally if at all. I don't know if that's how those people feel, but that's how it seems and that intrigues me.

So the poll question is:
You and 3 people you love will be sharing a 100' square room with 23 other groups of 4 people for 1 hour. A total of 100 people. There are 25 spots marked, one for each group to stand, that will keep at least 6' between each group. One person in this room has the Coronavirus and is contagious . That person may not know they are infected. That person may be you.

What percentage of the occupants of that room would you prefer be wearing a mask?

I voted EVERYONE should wear one. But in that situation, I think the infected person is highly likely to infect others in the room mask or not. But the infection rate will be lower. I would compare it to having sex with someone, using a condom, who is infect with an STD. The condom will HELP protect you but there is still a risk.

My understanding, is that masks will help protect others when you can not maintain a distance of six feet when you only have limited contact with said person.

I think everyone should wear one for the time being, but I voted "most people" because I know a few people who can't. They either have sensory issues or lung problems that make wearing it an impossibility. And yes, the people with the lung problems are staying in their homes. The person I know with the sensory issue I'm not sure as he lives alone.

I also went with everyone for the time being. While the people are 6 feet apart, they are inside. I don't feel you can count on people to remain 6 feet apart. If the distance is guaranteed, I would go with the wear if you're comfortable option.

"Masks don't do anything at all" may be an opinion, but it is also simply not true. There are studies that prove this. How could anyone be so ignorant to believe otherwise? Do they believe science is a lie? That they know more than the scientists? Truly boggles the mind, and proves that this country needs to put some serious emphasis on improving it's education system.

"Masks don't do anything at all" may be an opinion, but it is also simply not true. There are studies that prove this. How could anyone be so ignorant to believe otherwise? Do they believe science is a lie? That they know more than the scientists? Truly boggles the mind, and proves that this country needs to put some serious emphasis on improving it’s education system.

I’m sorry for doing this, but the irony is too tempting...*its

I think that if the people in charge had believed in the science and had modelled different behaviours, we wouldn’t be seeing videos like the ones we’ve seen of this holiday weekend.

I voted everyone. I'm assuming that in this scenario each group would remain six foot from every other group. However what if the infected individual is me or someone in my group? Then we should each wear one. Or it could of course be someone in another group and that group overall might be infected if they don't all wear one.

I hate the silly things but wearing one around others feels like the right thing to do. To me.

"Masks don't do anything at all" may be an opinion, but it is also simply not true. There are studies that prove this. How could anyone be so ignorant to believe otherwise? Do they believe science is a lie? That they know more than the scientists? Truly boggles the mind, and proves that this country needs to put some serious emphasis on improving it's education system.

Please provide a peer-reviewed article about the efficacy of wearing masks. The consensus of the scientific community is that is may help stop the spread, which is good enough for me. I’ll wear one at work as ordered, in locations that require it, or when I cannot maintain social distancing.

Here is a peer-reviewed article posted by the CDC regarding the use of PPE and influenza.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article

Well, I couldn’t really answer.

If there was absolutely no choice but to be in that room, I guess I would say everyone needs to have a mask. But my first choice, if possible, would be not to be in the room.

Maybe it’s different in other places but here, no one is fighting about the masks. No one is trying to get around it. If we don’t want to wear one, we just don’t go anywhere it’s required.

I don’t wear it because I cannot breathe with it on. Tried it twice, had to leave the store both times. Can’t buy groceries by running outside every few minutes. So I don’t do it. Groceries and other items are bought by curbside pick up or ordered online. We have gone out to eat but only at places that have a deck or patio so open air with plenty of room between tables. and mask not required. All activities and gatherings have been outside—the lake, river or beach—socially distanced and with family.

At work, our offices are spaced out enough that we are way over 6 ft apart and they are keeping the office to no more than 3 people there at a time. We go back full time in in July, so we will see where things are by then and if it will be necessary to work it out. But we have all been discussing it and options. Our direct supervisor and the person above her both have advanced degrees in science and both are on the local task force for reopening so we will be under good advise with the two of them.

Please provide a peer-reviewed article about the efficacy of wearing masks. The consensus of the scientific community is that is may help stop the spread, which is good enough for me. I’ll wear one at work as ordered, in locations that require it, or when I cannot maintain social distancing.

Here is a peer-reviewed article posted by the CDC regarding the use of PPE and influenza.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article

Since I don't know how to insert an article as you have - there's that pesky lack of education showing again - I'll just say: Google is your friend. CDC does say that studies show masks help prevent spread .

I’m sorry for doing this, but the irony is too tempting...*its

I think that if the people in charge had believed in the science and had modelled different behaviours, we wouldn’t be seeing videos like the ones we’ve seen of this holiday weekend.

Pretty sure that was autocorrect, but science was definitely more my thing, for sure.

I am firmly in the 'wear a mask'camp.

No one thinks they're comfortable. It is now 90 degrees in my area. I get all the reasons of it's hot, suffocating, etc. Many other things I have to do or wear in society are not comfortable either. I have to suck it up.

I was flabbergasted by a dad of a childhood cancer survivor this weekend who thinks the pandemic is blown out of proportion and that wearing a mask is asking too much.

A mask was required in the setting we were in and he took one out of his pocket to put on, but still doesn't think we all should be wearing them.

Definitely political by many in our area.

There've been plenty of threads about wearing masks or not and why, or why not. It's refreshing to see the honesty for our motives that come up, whatever they may be, a diversity representing the differing experiences we all have with this pandemic and I don't intend to make this thread about judging anyone for their decision. I have a view on the matter, and I think people who feel differently are likely wrong, but that's okay. Either they're wrong or I am, it probably doesn't make them (or me) a bad person.

But an answer in a different thread did get me thinking about the roots of ethical behavior. In all things ethics, I fall back to Kant because he says what most of us believe so succinctly. He says that for a action to be ethical one must...

Essentially, to be a good person, we must act in a way that we would prefer everyone else, in our position, would have to act.

Most people who decide not to wear a mask seem to look at wearing a mask as a personal decision that affects themselves primarily and others minimally if at all. I don't know if that's how those people feel, but that's how it seems and that intrigues me.

So the poll question is:
You and 3 people you love will be sharing a 100' square room with 23 other groups of 4 people for 1 hour. A total of 100 people. There are 25 spots marked, one for each group to stand, that will keep at least 6' between each group. One person in this room has the Coronavirus and is contagious . That person may not know they are infected. That person may be you.

What percentage of the occupants of that room would you prefer be wearing a mask?

I voted all but in all honestly I would never be involved in any scenario like that. If I saw a hundred people gathered - see ya!!!

Well, I couldn’t really answer.

If there was absolutely no choice but to be in that room, I guess I would say everyone needs to have a mask. But my first choice, if possible, would be not to be in the room.

Maybe it’s different in other places but here, no one is fighting about the masks. No one is trying to get around it. If we don’t want to wear one, we just don’t go anywhere it’s required.

I don’t wear it because I cannot breathe with it on. Tried it twice, had to leave the store both times. Can’t buy groceries by running outside every few minutes. So I don’t do it. Groceries and other items are bought by curbside pick up or ordered online. We have gone out to eat but only at places that have a deck or patio so open air with plenty of room between tables. and mask not required. All activities and gatherings have been outside—the lake, river or beach—socially distanced and with family.

At work, our offices are spaced out enough that we are way over 6 ft apart and they are keeping the office to no more than 3 people there at a time. We go back full time in in July, so we will see where things are by then and if it will be necessary to work it out. But we have all been discussing it and options. Our direct supervisor and the person above her both have advanced degrees in science and both are on the local task force for reopening so we will be under good advise with the two of them.
What type of mask are you wearing? If it is any kind of N95, that will increase the effort required to breathe. I find cloth paper isolation mask to be more comfortable than cloth. You can get 50 masks on Amazon now for $20. Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter