Imagine Key Blockout dates for 2024

Glad to know I'm not alone :) I do feel that the out-of-towners who take multiple trips a year over busy time periods such as December/January have been left out by the new business model. I hope they adjust in the future to bring us back into the fold :) I never got the feeling that the signature plus pass was a popular one, but maybe I'm wrong about that.
Agreed. I feel the out-of-town guests at Disneyland are not part of Disney's model. I do not think Disney really has a model. Yes Disneyland had a summer hotel sale and I got 25% of my hotel for my August 2023 vacation. I do not think Disney will ever really commit to making Disneyland a destination like WDW. You would think they would have special package for locals and out-of-towners with hotel and tickets to the Halloween Party or a Christmas/Holiday? I remember Disneyland used to advertise here in the NY Metro area in the newspapers and TV. Now nothing. We just get WDW and now Disneyland Paris promotions. I think eventually Disney will figure it...hopefully. :-)

Disneyland does advertise quite a bit in the Western US.
We used to get advertisements here in the New York Metro area. I think part of the destination problem is many East Coasters prefer WDW and the shorter trip to Florida. Disneyland I guess will just be a mix of locals, Key members and out-of-town visitors while WDW is basically a majority of US out-of town residents and international tourusts plus Florida residents and Florida residents. The travel agencies do not promote DL here like they used. WDW is everywhere.

General comment on the category. I have previously discussed tickets, promotions and the like. Not directed at anyone specifically. Not directed at you at all. This thread has discussed all of the items I mentioned. This is a message/information board/forum. You did start this thread and start the conversation.

If I was talking to someone specifically. I would have hit the quote button and replied. People have attacked me on these boards for my comments and I do not do that. I was commenting generally. There have been numerous commenters on this thread that have mentioned black out dates and promotions and locals and out-of-towners.
I'm sorry you've got attacked in the past for comments.
After reading your other reply to another font, you stated "I do not think people who live locally really appreciate what they can have by going to Disneyland as a Key holder."
I understand your sentiment, which is what I originally was sensing with your initial breakdown of how Disney chooses to operate their passes and SoCal Offers.

I did start the thread, but my goal was not to come off as unappreciative. I just see the value of the lowest tiered pass changing, BUT like I stated it's still affordable. For me, it no longer may make sense, and that's ok. I still think it's a great value, but I don't think it should be taken away, as the pass is currently unavailable for purchase, which means it's in high demand.

I've had the privilege of going free, paying for tickets, passes etc. I was very happy to be able to purchase my first Key since they re-opened.
As a consumer of Disney products and a native of Orange County, I fully appreciate Disneyland, Walt's original park in my back yard, so to speak.

With that said, as a local I can't wrap my head around paying for a park hopper vs. buying a pass based on my experience in the parks, so I'll be a Key holder in whatever capacity to enjoy the parks.

I'm sorry you've got attacked in the past for comments.
After reading your other reply to another font, you stated "I do not think people who live locally really appreciate what they can have by going to Disneyland as a Key holder."
I understand your sentiment, which is what I originally was sensing with your initial breakdown of how Disney chooses to operate their passes and SoCal Offers.

I did start the thread, but my goal was not to come off as unappreciative. I just see the value of the lowest tiered pass changing, BUT like I stated it's still affordable. For me, it no longer may make sense, and that's ok. I still think it's a great value, but I don't think it should be taken away, as the pass is currently unavailable for purchase, which means it's in high demand.

I've had the privilege of going free, paying for tickets, passes etc. I was very happy to be able to purchase my first Key since they re-opened.
As a consumer of Disney products and a native of Orange County, I fully appreciate Disneyland, Walt's original park in my back yard, so to speak.

With that said, as a local I can't wrap my head around paying for a park hopper vs. buying a pass based on my experience in the parks, so I'll be a Key holder in whatever capacity to enjoy the parks.
I think the lower tier passes should continue. I think they should have an add-on options like you can buy a series of blockouted days.
I appreciate my Disneyland vacations and I am glad you appreciate Disneyland.
Disneyland is a business and by not allowing key sales and renewals, it controls attendance which control operating costs.
Right now, at Disney, it is all about reducing operating expenses.

Fair enough. I read it as a complaint. People can complain and then spend more money anyway. I do it all the time. Whenever I see the phrase "final straw", I imagine there is some bitterness or resentment attached to the situation.
No bitterness. How about, It's the end of the rope? Fork in the road? lol
It wasn't a complaint.
The decision to take another month is in fact, my determining factor to consider moving on up (aka upgrading) to another key.
Imagine makes sense for my life at an affordable cost.
It possibly won't make sense in the future.
That's it.

Some don't have a choice; not everyone is able to get a key. And I don't mean not everyone is able to afford it, but there's simply not enough supply to meet demand. Some are unable to acquire them because they rarely go on sale and are gone as quick as they come, and therefore have no choice but to buy tickets for their trips.

If it weren't for the fact that people can't resell keys, I'd almost call it Capitalism.

I don't think it is the lower tier passes that are the problem, they are already blocked out so many days anyway so can't contribute to crowds if they are not even able to enter the park.

What I do think is that they should take away the payment plan option. I think that forces people into only paying what they can afford as an upfront cost. So instead of having a bunch of people with the highest tier pass because the monthly payment is more affordable, you have the majority at a lower tier pass that has more blackout dates. Disney still gets the revenue from MKs but less of that impact on attendance during busier months.

Some don't have a choice; not everyone is able to get a key. And I don't mean not everyone is able to afford it, but there's simply not enough supply to meet demand. Some are unable to acquire them because they rarely go on sale and are gone as quick as they come, and therefore have no choice but to buy tickets for their trips.

If it weren't for the fact that people can't resell keys, I'd almost call it Capitalism.
Yes, the SoCal ticket with parkhopper no blackouts is $359 vs. $449 for the Key.

I was thinking they would open new sales every 3 months or so but the last was Jan. 2023. Inspire is still available I think.

Yes, the SoCal ticket with parkhopper no blackouts is $359 vs. $449 for the Key.

I was thinking they would open new sales every 3 months or so but the last was Jan. 2023. Inspire is still available I think.

The information I was going on estimated that a new sale would happen by the end of August or early September, once the main renewal cycle ends. Now I'm hearing November, but really, who knows? They definitely don't give enough notice for when a sale is about to happen.

Should be at least three days heads up, preferably a week so people can at least have a chance to prepare and wait out the queue and not miss out on it completely.

It's not about agreeing or disagreeing. Disney's own actions here are proof that they need the Magic Key program in order to be profitable. When they don't offer it, the locals DO NOT buy multiple one day tickets every time they want to visit each year. Disneyland has metrics on guest spending in all categories. The vast majority of vacationers to Disneyland DO NOT stay on property. Disney doesn't get to capture their hotel revenue, and much of their dining revenue (they eat offsite for many meals). This is not a vacation destination like WDW is.

When they reopened after covid, before they announced the keys, my family bought two set of 2 day hoppers. It was so expensive for those few days that we were like, "we're done with that." We love visiting often, but without the perk of an annual pass, the psychology of dropping $700/day (tickets, parking, food) was enough to deter us from going frequently. We had gotten used to not going to Disneyland after it remained closed for 14 months. We are not the only ones who felt this way. Disney noticed the people were just not coming. That summer was dead. They were not even hitting their self imposed capacity numbers.

As soon as the keys were announced, we bought the highest tier ones. The monthly payment option means we pay $533/month for our passes. It's a "set it and forget it" scenario. I don't think about that $533. It's a bill on autopay. I also don't think about the $200+ we spend once or twice a week while there. We don't just go for one meal. We are there for 2 meals plus snacks plus alcoholic drinks, plus random merchandise like pins and clothing. They get a LOT of money from us and it's like death by a thousand cuts. This is our entertainment budget. Once or twice a year, we book the Grand Californian for a staycation. Just booked 3 nights in December at over $900/night after taxes. And I know for a fact that we aren't even considered high spenders by Disney. There are passholder families who hire a VIP guide every time they come. We are small beans compared to those types.

If I sat down and added up all the Disneyland related charges throughout the year, I might pass out. It doesn't make sense that spending $700 per day 4 or 5 times was so hard for me to swallow and spending tens of thousands every year as key holders doesn't phase me. I can't explain it, but it's a real thing.

Where can you obtain this information on guest spending metrics and hotel demographics? Serious question, because most companies do not release that info to the general public.

you were "attacked" because your tone is harsh as if you were in court. Calm down.
I overreacted. My tone was not harsh. I was accused of saying something I did not say. It is all resolved and good.

PS No one would talk to me like that in court because the judge would not allow it. Just trust me I know! LOL.
No need to stir up things that are resolved.

Where can you obtain this information on guest spending metrics and hotel demographics? Serious question, because most companies do not release that info to the general public.
You can look at Disney's corporate quarterly reports and yearly reports for some information. Like all corporations, they never disclose anything and disclosure is minimal at best.

Wasn't there news reports that preCovid, there were like 1,000,000 Disneyland passholders? I remember reading that.
I wonder how many there are now? Key members?

Don't pay attention to what Disney (or any other company) says. Pay attention to what they DO. You can get all these kinds of questions answered by making observations.
Exactly Disney settled the Dream Key lawsuit because it did not want to disclose company secrets and data. Now Disney restricts the sale of annual Keys. That is a huge statement in itself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter