• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm taking my first Ambien tonight!

emer95

DIS Veteran
Wish me luck! ;)

I'm a little scared/excited about it, considering the way my pharmacist pulled me into The Consultation Room and had a serious talk with me about it. He said it is a controlled substance and I need to be aware of sleep disturbances, such as sleep walking, sleep eating (?) and other crazy things.

I'm excited that I'm finally going to sleep all night tonight (hopfully!) and I can't wait to hear from my hubby about the crazy stuff I might do!

:banana:

Just a little advice from someone who's been on it quite a while -- go to bed right after you take it. I hallucinated the first time I took it because I waited up to see how it would affect me. It wasn't horribly scary or anything, but I had much better luck when I would go right to bed after taking it.

Sweet dreams!

DH takes Ambien because he travels to-from China and has trouble sleeping with the time change, but it doesn't always give him a full night sleep. I hope it works out for you, happy dreams!

BE CAREFUL!

Oh, man. I remember the first time I took it, I was having trouble sleeping from chemo and melatonin was doing nothing so I got put on Ambien 2mg. OMG I fell asleep with the walls closing in on me, or at least I thought they were. ;)

The hallucinations can be pretty bad. I woke up one night and cleaned my room top to bottom, WITH cleaning products. I didn't remember a danged thing.

It's a pretty scary drug, although incredibly helpful. Like a PP said, go to bed immediately after taking it. GOOD LUCK!

Another one here who took a few Ambien in her life - I still didn't sleep all the way thru the night - more like 5 or 6 hours before waking up, but still felt rested. I did notice some crazy dreams, but no sleepwalking or sleepeating(thanks goodness!)

My Dr gave it to me a few times when I had trouble. the first time I had it I got stuck on the toilet and was chatting with the fish in my shower curtain, DH had to rescue me :rotfl2:

After that 1/2 a dose was more than enough and I still see the comforter move :laughing: Whatever you do make sure you have healthy snacks next to the bed for when the munchies hit and don't get up to look in the kitchen for more.

My Dh tkes it for chronic unexplained insomnia, it runs in his family, and is very happy with sleeping. I hope it works out for you, it's been a blessing for my DH who has a frequent history of going days without sleeping.

I take it when I fly internationally and occasionally at home and I've never experienced any side effects. I love that deep sleep.

Yeah, swallow it after you get into bed, and immediately put your head on the pillow and go to sleep. Don't try to do anything else after you take it - not even reading or watching TV. I took one of my husband's once (and only once) to see if it would help me sleep, and I made the mistake of trying to read a book. . .

I can still remember when the words started moving around on the page :eek:. After that came the hallucination involving the Kung Fu Panda being on my ceiling :scared1:. My husband had to tell me about that after I woke up the next day, though :laughing:. I was apparently VERY out of it.

It works great for him, but he still purposely goes to sleep immediately after he takes it. It's a fine medication. Just take it exactly as directed.

I agree with taking it and immediately going to bed. Whatever you do, don't get on the computer. One morning I awoke to find I had gotten on eBay and Amazon and bought myself a new purse, a book, some furniture moving straps, furniture slides, and several other items. :lmao: I didn't remember buying any of it. Luckily it was all stuff I liked or needed. :goodvibes

I agree with taking it and immediately going to bed. Whatever you do, don't get on the computer. One morning I awoke to find I had gotten on eBay and Amazon and bought myself a new purse, a book, some furniture moving straps, furniture slides, and several other items. :lmao: I didn't remember buying any of it. Luckily it was all stuff I liked or needed. :goodvibes

OMG, that reminds me! I've bought apps for my iPhone while "under the influence." I'll just wake up the next morning and find a couple of new games. :lmao:

I have taken ambien for a long time. It really helps with my fibromyalgia which is made worst by my not getting deep sleep. I only take half of the very small pills and find it's enough. I don't hallucinate, sleep walk or anything. I guess occasionally I do get a little goofy if I try to stay up after taking it. They help me tremendously. If I am feeling really good I start to not take them for awhile, but when I start to get alot of pain I go back on it. I have never had to increase my dosage. I do feel a little badly for a night or two if I don't take it after taking it for a long time. I think you will do better if you exercise caution but not worry too much. Many people take it without any side effects.

popcorn:: Update us tomorrow! Ambien sounds awesome. :laughing:

Loved, loved, LOVED Ambien. :lovestruc I never had hallucinations, didn't sleep walk or act oddly, never bought anything on eBay, went to sleep easily and stay stayed asleep all night. My only caveat about ambien is that you can get habituated to it. Habituation is not hte same as addiction. It just means that you get used to using it and may have some trouble sleeping if you don't take it. That happend to me. I had to go off it suddenly and I had a rough two weeks of disrupted sleep--miserable. i'm now taking something else which works pretty well for me.

I did feel badly when I stopped taking it suddenly. I didn't need to stop, I just felt like taking a break. I would have a hard time sleeping and get ringing in my ears. It really makes me feel rested. Most sleep aids make me feel tired in the morning or hung over.

Yeah, swallow it after you get into bed, and immediately put your head on the pillow and go to sleep. Don't try to do anything else after you take it - not even reading or watching TV. I took one of my husband's once (and only once) to see if it would help me sleep, and I made the mistake of trying to read a book. . .

I can still remember when the words started moving around on the page :eek:. After that came the hallucination involving the Kung Fu Panda being on my ceiling :scared1:. My husband had to tell me about that after I woke up the next day, though :laughing:. I was apparently VERY out of it.

It works great for him, but he still purposely goes to sleep immediately after he takes it. It's a fine medication. Just take it exactly as directed.

I have safely taken Ambien for almost 15 years using this rule. I swallow it in bed, then turn out my light. It helps if I set my phone to play nature sounds for 30 minutes. This gives me something to listen to until the Ambien takes me under.

Ambien has been a lifesaver for me. I try to do 2 weeks on 2-3 off so I don't build up a tolerence. I have had no side effects. I have SLE lupus and suffer with dreadful insomnia. The 2 weeks off are loathsome.:scared1:
Sweet dreams:thumbsup2

I'm trying to figure out why this is still on the market with all the reports of sleep walking, talking, eating, DRIVING, etc. It sounds like everyone has issues unless they take it after they are in bed and put their head on their pillow immediately. Am I the only on that thinks that's really extreme? Also, why are people taking it that it hasn't been prescribed for?

I take Ambien every night. I can no longer sleep without it. I tried not taking it for two nights and ended up not sleeping for an entire weekend. Not a good experience. I told my doctor, and he warned me that some people just can't quit it cold turkey.
I've had "relations" with DH that I wasn't aware of until he brought it up. He had no idea that I wasn't fully involved :lmao:

I take Ambien every night. I can no longer sleep without it. I tried not taking it for two nights and ended up not sleeping for an entire weekend. Not a good experience. I told my doctor, and he warned me that some people just can't quit it cold turkey.
I've had "relations" with DH that I wasn't aware of until he brought it up. He had no idea that I wasn't fully involved :lmao:

Isn't it scary that you can do things that you can't remember?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter