I'm Sure This Will Get Me Lynched!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been taking our oldest since she was 4, and the younger 2 have gone at 1 and 2 years of age. I'm not concerned with the "they wont rememeber it" comment. My kids are growing up knowing Disney and I enjoy myself as a parent watching them.

Stepping stones to a healthy, happy growing child.....and a happy Disney family we are! :goodvibes

My mom came over for coffee this morning and I mentioned this thread to her. Here is her response:

"You tell those ladies that they aren't selfish for taking their little ones to Disney. They are BLESSED. Blessed they HAVE little ones to take and blessed to be able to afford it when many can't!"

Then I mentioned the "they won't remember it" part.

She said this:

"You don't remember getting all your shots when you were a baby do you? Well I did those even though you wouldn't remember them. Do you remember your first few birthday parties? We did those too even if you wouldn't remember them. Moms do both the necessary-unpleasant and the unnecessary-pleasant for our children no matter if it is remembered or not."

I'm still having such concern with those who say don't bring your young children to Disney because they "won't remember it". Does that mean for young toddlers and children we should never do anything to make them happy just because they won't remember it? Never make them laugh, sing a funny song, talk in a gentle voice? Lets wait until they're 6 for this, then they'll remember what we did to make them happy. The joy a parent experiences when they see their childs face light up isn't selfish, it comes from knowing their child is being led down a strong path toward being a happier adult. Sure, it is an expense to go to Disney to make them happy, but what people choose to spend their money on is personal. Making children happy is helping to build a better person, and whatever method a perent chooses is their decision. I could better understand those who say not to bring their children because it is a lot of work on the parents part, but those who don't mind the hard work are certainly those who are not being selfish, but selfless. Remember, all adults are made from pieces of their childhood, build a better childhood, build a better adult.
pirate: pirate: pirate: pirate:

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well put.

These bizarre don't take your little kids to WDW threads really have me shaking my head.

In fact, I'll state the opposite. THERE'S NO BETTER PLACE TO VACATION WITH AN INFANT OR YOUNG CHILD THAN WDW!

These bizarre don't take your little kids to WDW threads really have me shaking my head.

In fact, I'll state the opposite. THERE'S NO BETTER PLACE TO VACATION WITH AN INFANT OR YOUNG CHILD THAN WDW!

Jodi, you and I don't always see eye to eye. This is one place we really do. I could not agree with you more! :thumbsup2

THERE'S NO BETTER PLACE TO VACATION WITH AN INFANT OR YOUNG CHILD THAN WDW!

This is so true. With magical express, your luggage ends up in your room..and you have buses take you to your resort from the airport You can also check your luggage at the hotel for your return trip. If you stay in a villa you have all the comforts of home (full kitchen, washer & dryers). Depending on where you stay you can walk or take a monorail to most locations...without even taking your child out of their stroller. The majority of the personel have been trained to entertain children, even in restaurants.

Anyone have any better place to travel with their young children that offers the above?? :confused3

Isn't that the truth?! We traveled all over with our babies, and WDW was absolutely the easiest.

I agree with whoever said that Disney is the easiest place to visit with babies/toddlers! We travel a lot, and that is the one place that expects small children 24/7. You don't have to worry that there will only be adult things to do, you don't have to research an entire city to find things that will make the entire family happy, and you don't have to search for kid-friendly restaraunts!

We just got back 2 1/2 weeks ago. DH and I were laughing because it suddenly seemed to us like our 16 month old was into everything and running wild through the house. We realized that we'd gotten used to always having a show, ride, or just the crowd for her to watch at Disney. She was so good because she was always interested in somethingpopcorn:: . At home, there's no cast of thousands to distract her, so she's back into pulling all of the books out of the shelf :eek: .

On a trip years ago I was in line for the Living Seas (before Nemo) with my two year old ds, four year old dd, and six year old nephew. The kids were standing still and talking to me about what kinds of fish we were going to see. DS was in my arms. An older couple right behind me said, "I don't know why these people bring young children to Disney World. They won't even remember it." How RUDE was that? I don't even know what provoked it, since everyone was having a great time and not being disruptive! I still wish I had turned around and said something.

This is so true. With magical express, your luggage ends up in your room..and you have buses take you to your resort from the airport You can also check your luggage at the hotel for your return trip. If you stay in a villa you have all the comforts of home (full kitchen, washer & dryers). Depending on where you stay you can walk or take a monorail to most locations...without even taking your child out of their stroller. The majority of the personel have been trained to entertain children, even in restaurants.

Anyone have any better place to travel with their young children that offers the above?? :confused3

Yes!

And I actually had the experience of FORGETTING THE DIAPER BAG when we went to the MK one day. So I'm with a 13 month old, and I have nothing...no diapers, bottle, sippy cup, food, nothing, nada.

At most places it would have meant going home and losing most of the day. At WDW, it just meant a trip quick to the baby center to replace the essentials. :thumbsup2

My mom came over for coffee this morning and I mentioned this thread to her. Here is her response:

"You tell those ladies that they aren't selfish for taking their little ones to Disney. They are BLESSED. Blessed they HAVE little ones to take and blessed to be able to afford it when many can't!"

Then I mentioned the "they won't remember it" part.

She said this:

"You don't remember getting all your shots when you were a baby do you? Well I did those even though you wouldn't remember them. Do you remember your first few birthday parties? We did those too even if you wouldn't remember them. Moms do both the necessary-unpleasant and the unnecessary-pleasant for our children no matter if it is remembered or not."

God Bless mother's and their wisdom. I always wondered if you just automatically upgraded your vision of the world when you were in the hospital having your child. Now that I have one, I know that's not true... Still waiting for my upgrade! :lmao: (Although the "kids" at work - all of 5 or 6 yrs younger than me - have started asking me to remove their splinters and how to get stains out. :rotfl: I guess it comes w/ the territory.)

But, seriously, I've realized its the time w/ your children... the real quality time. Seeing the world thru a child's eyes, but with the experience of an adult, learning to sacrifice your wants and needs for a small soul who's needs are more urgent and more necessary and loving an itty bitty person so much that you think you'll burst that gives you the unique ability to react to the world so matter-of-factly and with such assurance. Its why I still go to MY mom with all my questions and tough life choices. She's a mom thru and thru, and I trust her wisdom and advice. :love:

(Not trying to eliminate the Dads from this either... kudos to you! I just can only speak from the Mom point of view.)

As far as this thread goes... I gave my opinion a few pages back. But, I think a LOT of good points have been made in the last few posts. Mostly the vibe I'm getting that I agree w/ is this:

I'll continue to spend quality time w/ my children- At home and on vacation- in the best way I know how. And, I hope that everyone else does as well. Whether or not that includes Disney, well that's up to you. I will help to enhance my child's life w/ wonderful experiences regardless of the ability to "remember" them. B/c the experience is way more important than the memory in building a happy, healthy human being. But, as a side note, I will also continue to be as considerate as possible to others. Whether its at the mall, a restaurant, or WDW, if my child is interfering w/ others having a well-deserved enjoyable time, due to my choices to bring him there, I will remove myself from the situation. It's the healthy thing to do for my baby, myself and those around us.

You know I visited Disneyland for the first time as an 11 year old. To this day I wished my parents had taken me when I was younger. I ha a good time but feel I missed out on some of the magic just by being so old. We have purposely planned a trip this year around our children's ages. All things being perfect we would have gone LAST year but DS at 2 was too much of a handful at the time and *I* wouldn't have had any fun (he wasn't a typical 2 year old).

It's just a different experience for younger kids and I can't wait to experience the vacation through their eyes rather than me dragging them about and having them experience things through mine. This is their vacation and we've planned it that way.

Oh at some point my 3 year old will DEFINITELY have a complete meltdown in the park. No matter how well fed and rested he is. No matter how patient we as his parents are. That's just him and there is no escaping it. He does it in the grocery store to. Should I give up food shopping?

Some people are just rude! When we were there a few weeks ago, several people coming out of the judge's tent said the wait was really short (under 10 minutes), so we went ahead and got in line. Well, Mickey went on a break or something right then, and the wait was not short.

DH was trying to distract DS20mos by tickling him, and letting him walk a few steps away (but not into others waiting in line) before pulling him back for a hug, and just other silly things you do with a toddler to kill time.... but the lady waiting with her daughter in front of us kept glaring at us, shaking her head, making "hrmph" noises and loud sighs as if we were the worst parents on the planet. Excuse me for not having a toddler who will stand quietly in a boring line for 20-40 minutes! He wasn't touching her, invading her space, screaming or crying. He was laughing and playing with his Daddy in our own few feet of space!

I finally got fed up with her and we got out of line. We saw Mickey at AK with a 3 minute wait...but still!!

LOL, because (drum roll please...) we just returned with our 11 month old, 2 year old & 3 year old :lmao: We enjoyed every moment of it!! I sweat a gallon, had aching legs from walking 10 miles a day, had biceps that were aching from holding one of my children practically all day(just to keep them happy, and not make them sit in a stroller all day), and even snapped at my DH maybe once a day for some reason ( but I do it at home too), but it was all worth to see my 3 year old son's eyes light up when he entered the MK, my 2 year old daughter's smile like I have never seen her smile before when she met Belle & the other princesses, and my 11 month old not stop clapping on 'It's A Small World." It melted my heart & gave me chills!! I can't say when they get older they will react the way they did this year. I do whatever I have to make my children's trips magical. We started bringing my son to DW at 11 months, so I am all for it.

This is exactly why people bring young children, and unless you have ever experienced the feeling you will never understand. :love:

You know I visited Disneyland for the first time as an 11 year old. To this day I wished my parents had taken me when I was younger.
I went to Disneyland for the first time when I was 19 and WDW for the first time on my honeymoon when I was 24. I would have loved to have gone earlier, but my parents just couldn't afford the trip. So I consider myself blessed to be taking our almost-four-year-old.

Me too, the first time I visited was when my dh proposed to me...I was 23 years old. I would have LOVED to visit as a child and teenager. :goodvibes

Can I add that I took my 22month old and she absolutely remembers Disney even 6 months later? Last week we went to a sunlight resturant for dinner and she kept asking "Where is Pooh?", she thought we were at Crytal Palace, apparantly remembered the arcitectural details of Crystal Palace. Last month we were out past bedtime and from the back seat I heard her mumbling something about it being dark and we'd have to "get on the train to go back to the hotel", she was thinking of the Monorail, we stayed at Poly last trip. And 4th of July she looked at me with the biggest saddest eyes when the fireworks started and demanded "where is TINKERBELL?" LOL!

Years ago we were one of those fussy families. We went once on Presidents Day Weekend/Valentines Day, having no idea that it would be crowded. We arrived at the parks mid morning, waited in lines all day, and then waited to eat for hours since we had no ADR's. I don't remember if the kids were fussy, but I sure was fussy! Lesson learned, that was about 10 years ago, and we are now an overly prepared, highly planned, well oiled WDW touring machine LOL. Go ahead and make fun of people like me with my itinerary in hand rushing to the next attraction. But we enjoy what we want. And lots of food and plenty of rest keeps our crew happy!

And one final comment, my teenager ALWAYS displays signs of fussiness long before my toddler. First sign of fussiness from anyone in our group, we administer food or rest!

I saw a comedian one time who said

At 9:00 a.m. - it is the happiest place on earth

At 11:00 a.m. - there are a few frowns

At 3:00 p.m. - there are a few tears.

At 6:00 p.m. - there are @$$ whippins all over the magic kingdom.

I've read up to page 6, but I felt the need to post this.

My first trip to WDW (when it was only the Magic Kingdom) was when I was around 2. I have at least one very specific and vivid memory from that trip -- I remember how I felt, who I was with, where we were, and why we were waiting for my mom and my brother. It is an entire sequence of events -- I found out this past May that the memory is from my first trip. My mom was surprised I remembered what I did!

I am now 33 (almost 34) and will be taking my soon-to-be-born son to the world when he is 11 months old. I can't wait! I love WDW and would never consider going on a family vacation to a family place without my whole family!

So please, don't expect your kids NOT to remember things from when they are that young -- they may surprise you!

I think the key is not overtiring or overstimulating your child. i've taken mine as toddlers and have never had a melt down. I keep them on schedule even on vacation they are in bed by 9. Sleep is key not keeping your kids out until 2 am for EMH's. You know what they won't die if they don't see the fireworks but you may very well want to kill them if they stay up late to see them and are cranky the next day.

I've read up to page 6, but I felt the need to post this.

My first trip to WDW (when it was only the Magic Kingdom) was when I was around 2. I have at least one very specific and vivid memory from that trip -- I remember how I felt, who I was with, where we were, and why we were waiting for my mom and my brother. It is an entire sequence of events -- I found out this past May that the memory is from my first trip. My mom was surprised I remembered what I did!

I am now 33 (almost 34) and will be taking my soon-to-be-born son to the world when he is 11 months old. I can't wait! I love WDW and would never consider going on a family vacation to a family place without my whole family!

So please, don't expect your kids NOT to remember things from when they are that young -- they may surprise you!

Same here...I was 6, a little older, but I remember specific things. THAT's magic ;)

We took our 20 month old back in March and he loved it! He still talks about it. His favorite show is the Disney World special on the Travel Channel. We had the best vacation ever...and we are going back in 46 days. heehee I cannot wait...my little man is going to be 2 1/2 and we talk about Disney World everyday. He lists who he is gonna see in "DeeDee World"...haha Tigger, Mickey, Minnie... I think he is the most excited and I love that we helped build this joy and happiness in his little heart. I am so happy we didn't wait.

We do make sure we build the vacation around him and stay flexible. We take naps and go to bed early... :thumbsup2 We are also considerate of others around us.

Captain Hook...I grew up around BelAir too! And I just turned 34. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter