I'm Never Asking for Ketchup Again!

JoyFaithGrace

A spoonful of sugar helps me get better!
I've been meaning to share our trip but life. So, better late than never and thanks to chronic insomnia here we go!

When: March 16-18 2015
Where: Pop Century Resort
The Cast:

Me: Sarah, Grew up going to Disney, has loved Disney movies since I was little, figured out in my early 20s why I hated cats - Lucifer in Cinderella. And if I could have a super power I want to be able to snap my fingers and clean my house.

This was a big trip for me, I got 6 years ago, and I am getting much much much better, and so to be able to go do Disney (even using an ECV) was huge for me. We live near Dollywood and have had season passes there the last few years but I usually bring a book because I can't fit in any of the rides. Being pooh sized, I have lost 85 lbs so I am still pooh sized but was hopeful that I would be able to fit on at least a few rides at Disney.
We (DH and I) are celebrating our 10th year of marriage so yeah buttons!

3e783938-d401-4507-b9cd-4be43dbcd7c1_zpszkjvqreu.jpg

DH: John, or Pepe depending on my mood. He's been to Disney Land (once when he as like 10) and didn't love it. Didn't fully understand Disney, but was looking forward to the trip.

9f10585e-9a00-4c72-b446-8c1d92eca447_zps4um98tlh.jpg

The Kiddo: DD, age 9, loves all things Disney. This was her first trip, first time to Florida, first time that she remembers at the beach, and was very excited to go to Disney.

Grandma: My mom, went to Disney 2 weeks prior with my Brothers Family, so while she was excite to go...She had just been there. And all those times we went growing up. She's a I've done it once, i'm good kind of person.
434cdf59-ca3d-4169-b147-03350352d09d_zpse9zlobpf.jpg

DH had applied to the Disney Internship program, and as a back up we had planned to move to the Florida campus of the Univ he attends, only they didn't have any married student housing available so the move was off. So, about 3 weeks before Spring Break, we decided that we needed a vacation. My parents "spring" in Florida so we were off. I check the crowd calendars and decided the best day for a 1 day at Magic Kingdom, and booked our hotel, tickets and started scrambling for FP+ and ADRs.

I was a little frantic, because I started working (part time) as a TA last year, and while I sell Disney, I haven't done a tour plan for a client yet so our one day, during spring break was my test run. And with only 3 weeks to plan...I was semi sure I was setting us up to fail.

**Edited to change my photos because I have no idea what happened...

Last edited:
Table of Contents

(I want to link here but can't figure out how to...)

Last edited:
I'm Bossy At Disney

I won't bore you with the pre-Disney stuff but the beach was wonderful and we can't wait to go back next year!

de8477d1-9535-4821-889d-d4b793473841_zpsnrl323fc.jpg

We planned to leave fairly early in the morning to head to Disney, it was about an 1 1/2 drive from New Smyrna Beach so we crammed all our stuff in our rental car and set out. It wasn't a bad drive out, and my Mom was in the front seat so she was taught how to work my camera for the most important picture of the day.

IMG_20150317_124219%201_zpselyfgl9r.jpg

We followed Google Maps and the signs and made our way to...

76b26a28-f08f-49cb-bb54-23a5c44e176b_zps8osn08py.jpg

We stopped for oodles of pictures and Mom learned that she was going to be in pictures, she is like the freaking paparazzi but getting her in a picture well, I told her she didn't have a choice. I'm bossy at Disney.

1ea4655d-fe47-460e-b3d5-6ca83ad6e627_zpsvex5qpyq.jpg

Side note - We've been working with DD on picking out outfits that match/work, so I introduced her to Disney Bounding. Today, she was Smee.

When we booked I didn't know my Mom was planning to come so she didn't get a Magic band sent to us, heck I was impressed that ours got to us in time! Our Cast Member at the the front desk, was one of those "quiet talkers" and that place is not quiet so it was difficult to hear her. But we asked for our buttons, 1st Visit for DH and DD, Anniversary for DH and I and Happy Birthday for my Mom, her birthday is in April, but since we weren't going to be there, and it was just over a month away, I said it counted. I'm bossy at Disney.

dcee98e5-f0b4-4435-8c54-1dce4daf03bc_zpsm3o7nkje.jpg

(thank you random landscaper)
After making sure my credit card was linked, we got our map and room and set off. We were in the 70s, building 6. We got to our room, and I was so excited to see the Mickey Towel. But there was no Mickey Towel! What was this sorcery? Where's my Mickey Towel, why don't I have a mickey towel?!?

2b173637-c1aa-4be4-82d2-e111ca63947b_zpsrbkwwnrl.jpg

Needless to say, after seeing no mickey towel I didn't take a picture of the room, clearly I'm a bossy toddler at Disney.

Last edited:
I swear I can Drive in real life

We sent DH to bring the car around so that he could bring the luggage in (if we knew they had people you could pay to do this we would have) and DD and I went to (ironically) baggage services to pick up my ECV, so easy and convent.

DD and I took a quick peak in the gift shop, looked at the flower pool and headed back to the room. We were all starving, and I had read about Earl of Sandwich. So we decided to try out the Disney Buses and went for lunch. I can't park the ECV on the bus. I just can't. Drive this scooter on level ground - no problem, up a ramp then back it into a spot - nope.

SF6ZsER.gif

However, getting on the bus first - great. Getting off last - eh. We headed to Earl of Sandwich and it lived up to all our expectations and more. We still talk about it. Often. I went into the trip with the idea that I know the food is expensive, DH knows the food is expensive and we just were going to scan the magic band and not look. It was our first "real" vacation in 10 years and we earned it darn it!

DD had been bribed with "money for Disney" for quite a while to do chores around the house (figured if we were moving there we'd go a lot so it would have been for then, but then vacation) and she was ready to shop. She saw a few things that she liked and Mom was giving her an early birthday present so she got a stuffed Bolt and Lady. I looked for a phone case (had a Galaxy G5 and finding a case I liked was insane), sunglasses and flip flops. I saw a few that I liked but not enough so I didn't get anything.

After some exploring - Look a wall! We headed back to Pop for some swimming. We swam for a bit, the I left every one at the pool (the quite one?) to go rest for a bit, and think about dinner. We didn't have an ADR, and so I hopped on MDE to see what was available...I found one that was about an hour and a half later, made it.

And headed back to the pool to see what everyone was up to.

Little more Background - I've been researching, reading and learning about Disney for years. Long before I became a TA, so DH defers to me when it comes to Disney. He just follows along, makes sure everyone is keeping up and what not. So going into our dinner reservation I knew what we were getting into. They were clueless, and it paid off.

Following along! I also live near Dollywood and go all the time. It so doesn't compare to Disney, however! Looking forward to reading more on your report! :)

Joining in! I read your title and immediately laughed. I know exactly what it refers to and it brought back great memories! Can't wait to read more.
-Lindsey

Following along! I also live near Dollywood and go all the time. It so doesn't compare to Disney, however! Looking forward to reading more on your report! :)
We are forgoing out season tickets to Dollywood this year for more Disney money. But I'm already missing going in the evenings on hot days for the water rides. So much fun.

Joining in! I read your title and immediately laughed. I know exactly what it refers to and it brought back great memories! Can't wait to read more.
-Lindsey
I have clients going next week, and I booked them an ADR at Whispering Canyon, should be fun.

"Why is it so noisy if it's called Whispering Canyon?"

I found everyone on their way back from the pool, and filled them in on the fact that I snagged a reservation for dinner at the Wilderness Lodge, about an hour from then, so we needed to scramble.
We got everyone dried off, dressed and plugged the address into my phone's maps. (So glad I upped my data plan for this trip!) We headed off, and found the Wilderness Lodge, I was amazed that even at the gate the environment "changes" some how. And suddenly we were in the Pacific Northwest or something. Disney Magic. Amazing.

9a6cd11a-9345-4a9f-8a9f-f9372e4641ab_zps0dm6aygo.jpg

We got a parking spot, and headed in - and beautiful. Then we spent 5 minutes trying to get a picture of the bunny - at dusk - without the flash so it wouldn't go away. But being a good Disney Bunny, he posed nicely.
cb6364af-7d4b-4250-b221-f48e0c35ae58_zpsbuxhb0fv.jpg
fa8955a8-3199-44fa-a9fb-bf5ee4720d8e_zpsyjug94wo.jpg

I went and got us checked in at Whispering Canyon, and got our pager, it was going to be about a 30 minute wait. So we went shopping, I got a Dishwasher Clean/Dirty thing that I LOVE! I had seen things like this and since DD is in charge of emptying the dishwasher she loves that she doesn't have to guess.
Then we found some rockers to sit and wait.
72ad3b08-fd49-41fa-9c0d-bb0d31c33c43_zps8zp9qnvw.jpg

My Mom kept asking why it was so noisy. DD was just hungry and DH was just loving the rocker and water feature and I just couldn't wait. I was like a kid on Christmas morning.
Then our buzzer went off...

Last edited:
"But we don't even need any ketchup?"

When our buzzer finally went off, we waded through the crowd and into the "noisy" restaurant. I had prepped DD that at some point I was going to remind her to ask for ketchup, but didn't tell her why. We are brought to our table and handed the 'coaster' and I quickly grabbed it and interrupted our host and told them I know the deal and flipped it to green.
I'm pretty sure that I had a grin rivaling Cheshire's, and DH and Mom were looking at me like I was crazy. But they were rolling with it.
e62f5d79-c2db-46a1-a0c1-b9e6fbbf8fa8_zpsbucjxy4d.jpg

And Then.... Our waitress walks by and tossed straws on the table. Like they went flying. I think one hit the floor. Had I been quick enough I would have gotten a shot of DHs face. It was awesome. My Mom started in on, I thought Disney had good service... Dh was all - there goes her tip.

As they sat there, trying to figure out what was going on, we had our drinks ordered and we got the all-you-care-to-enjoy platter. And oh did we ever enjoy it. At first Mom was shocked by the amount of food, but then someone asked for more corn bread because Disney cornbread. And "well there's only a little left, I might as well finish it".

However, in between all that, people kept shouting. Why are they shouting? What are they saying?

We were seated against the wall just as you enter the dining room, so we weren't right in the fray of it all.
Then, just like Santa, I touched my finger to the side of my nose (my secret sign for DD) and all the stars aligned and our waitress popped over to see if we needed anything. And the innocent child of my, so sweet, so kindly, asked for Ketchup.

What? What's that you say? You need ketchup? Well, then you need to say it louder! With enthusiasm!
Our small table of 4, pushed up against the wall, tried so hard to shout "We need more ketchup!". Our tiny voices barely made it above the fray.

Our waitress, raised her voice, demanded that the table around us help us out, and the cry for ketchup rang loud and clear. And the ketchup came. From far, far across the room, a boy, about my daughters age, came with an arm full of ketchup and shoved it on to our table.
20150317_210837_zpspkunzjip.jpg

"Oh surely that isn't all for us!" my Mom said, as she tried to move things around to fit the abundance of ketchup. And then, the boys father (?) came with his arm full of ketchup. 16. 16 bottles of ketchup were squished on our table.
c37b4152-7778-4054-9b96-70cc6ef30e15_zpstj2rzufn.jpg

(It's artsy because it's on an angle)

A few minutes later we were able to share the wealth of ketchup. DD got up and tried to carry all of it and littered ketchup bottles on the floor like Hansel and breadcrumbs.

Laughs were had by all, and once we all were in our meat coma, we scanned my magic band and were off to bed as we had a plan for the next day. Rope drop was on that plan.

Last edited:
How fun! We went to Whispering Canyon when I was a senior in high school. My sister and I (twins) brought a friend with us. She asked for ketchup not knowing either and we had a great time with it. She was so embarrassed. It was great, so you're mother's reaction made me giggle.
-Lindsey

We are forgoing out season tickets to Dollywood this year for more Disney money. But I'm already missing going in the evenings on hot days for the water rides. So much fun.
We really only get them because my dad gets day passes through his company and we upgrade otherwise we wouldn't bother. But the last couple of times I've been they've had us parking at Splash Country...in April and May....midweek!

We really only get them because my dad gets day passes through his company and we upgrade otherwise we wouldn't bother. But the last couple of times I've been they've had us parking at Splash Country...in April and May....midweek!
Wow! I used an ECV so thankfully we can park in handicap parking, but going late in the evening (6pm) we usually get good parking or getting there super early.

Enjoying your trip report! Your DM and DH reaction at Whispering Canyon is priceless! When we went there years ago I told my DH what to expect, we just kept the kids in the dark. I think having the adults have no idea what to expect makes it more enjoyable. How did you keep a straight face? Did they catch on quick that this is the antics the staff does? Or were or were they clueless for a while? :scratchin

Last edited:
Enjoying your trip report! Your DM and DH reaction at Whispering Canyon is priceless! When we went there years ago I told my DH what to expect, we just kept the kids in the dark. I think having the adults have no idea what to expect makes it more enjoyable. How did you keep a straight face? Did they catch on quick that this is the antics the staff does? Or were or were they clueless for a while? :scratchin

When DH was about to find a manager I had to clue him in (sent a text to keep my mom in the dark). He still talks about how shocked he was that the waitress threw the straws.

"Are you sure the waits at Peter Pan will be that long?" Part 1

Last night when we got back to the resort, we realized that we failed to bring bottled water. DH was about to go out and find a grocery store at 12am to get some, after talking him down (he gets lost easily, even with gps) and we decided that $3 bottles of water it would be. *groan*

We (I) had a plan for the day, considering the fact that we decided that we were going to add Disney to our spring break just a few short weeks prior, getting FastPasses+ and ADRs were a coup. We set the alarms for 6am (who does that on vacation - we do. We do that). Knowing my Mom is a dwaddler, I would have to be bossy if we wanted to make rope drop.

Of course I was up much earlier than the alarm, and was ready to go, and trying not to wake up DD as she can be a grouch. We left the room at 645(ish) with bottles of water, protein shake mix, snacks and our Disney bag. We waited for the bus ( we had fairly good bus karma) and loaded up.

Let me tell you, driving that stupid scooter up a ramp and on the bus in front of a bunch of people giving you the stink eye because you get seats - is not fun.

Pretty soon we were covered in glitter (how much glitter is put on an Elsa dress? Clearly 2x the amount of glue used) and on our way. Let me tell you those buses are really dusty *sniff*sniff* and we were waiting for everyone to unload so that we could get off.

Employing the "plan" of follow me, stay close, I will not wait for you. (I'm bossy at Disney) we headed to the left to tap our Mickey's and have our bags checked, then followed the ADR rope and squished in, to which my Mom said "But you can't see the welcome show".

"Its okay Mom, I'm not here to see the welcome show, we are here to see/ride as much as possible - Here's the plan,"
And I whipped out my phone, pulled up the MDE app, and showed them the Map, this is where we are, this is where we are going, don't stop, we don't have a FastPass+ for Peter Pan.

This was the plan:
8am: Peter Pan
815: Meet Cinderella/Rapunzel or Ride Pooh
830: Meet Ariel
845: Under the Sea
9am: Dumbo
915: Meet Donald/Goofy
930: Meet Daisy/Minnie
945: Barnstormer /Tea Party (Optional)
10am: It’s A Small World
1030: Haunted Mansion
11am: Meet Tink /Mickey/Characters
12pm: Festival of Fantasy Parade
Break
5pm: Crystal Palace ADR

eec9bf22-c7d0-4c2d-8e63-abeb6059c54a_zpsck78dpr7.jpg

(edited to add - as I'm resizing my pictures, how cute are these two! Holding hand and what not! Love it!)

Driving and taking pictures - yep. But I was basically rolling it was so slow....

b4f83f61-cd85-4ba7-8c01-047ac429f2d5_zpsibc0wvms.jpg

afd5bc1f-c037-474c-b419-dfb82ddfedca_zps8ufnpoyb.jpg

But we did pause for a "selfie" - such a cool feature on my phone. Who are we all Disney Bounding as today???

8a797fdd-b7dd-48bc-8ced-e1790cbc916e_zpsskjnqfqk.jpg

We cut through Liberty Square...
759e5098-327f-43d2-baf2-740f16bfc35e_zpstmsbgysv.jpg

2096b2c6-e01b-4743-bdc0-a8cacc9cecf3_zpsdu5is8yc.jpg

We get to Peter Pan, and it was down! What!?! What is this? NOOOOOOO!!!! So we were there already off plan. I think my Type-A, mildly OCD head almost exploded all over the place.

Last edited:
Can't wait to hear more! I'm VERY bossy at Disney too. I feel your type A personality about schedules and being "off the plan!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter