I'm looking for 2 adults who only ate counter service that just got back...question???

I like not having to meet the credits to use, as in Epcot, you can just have dinner by eating random snacks around the world.....

Last edited:
I'm usually a big supporter of the dining plan, but for just 2 adults I think you will be able to definitely be able to eat for less than $90/day if you are just planning on QS. If you really like the pre-paid aspect of it, put $740 on a Disney gift card and then splurge on a fun souvenir with the remaining.

I just checked some random menus. The most expensive entreés I found were $14.99 (Tangierine Café, CHH, Pepper Market) only a few locations. Figure $3 for a drink, two snacks at $4 each although it's fairly easy to find more expensive, included snacks. $14.99 + $3.29 drink + $5 snack, doubled is $44.56. Plus tax, which is included in the DP credits. $2.50 so $47 if you get the expensive entreés. Refillable mug just under $2 per night. Slight edge to the QSDP if you only eat the handful of $15 meals. Few more at $13.99, so pretty much breaking even.
There are definitely some that are more expensive. Flame Tree has an entree that is $17 or $19.

But generally, yes, they will be about $15 or $16.

My question..if you were a party of 2 adults that only ate counter service and did not have the dining plan, was your cost less than say $44/day for 2 meals?
We almost always eat just CS. We definitely don't spend $44/person/day, not even close. The dining plan is not about value. It's about convenience (although I don't really get that either). If you want to have your meals "pre-paid" just buy a Disney gift card in advance and load that with however much you expect to spend.

The dining plan is not about saving money. If it were, there's no way Disney would continue to offer it. They do it because it makes them more money.
Well, yeah. I never said that was the point of the dining plan. However the OP specifically asked if they could eat for less then the dining plan would cost them. Thus the comment about saving money.

I don't do the dining plan for a variety of reasons. Cost is one of those.

Well, yeah. I never said that was the point of the dining plan. However the OP specifically asked if they could eat for less then the dining plan would cost them. Thus the comment about saving money.
Understood. I was agreeing with you. Sorry if it didn't come out that way.

My general rule of thumb is that paying for QSDP or DDP for adults is a losing proposition, money-wise. They only become economical as part of free dining packages (or similar) or if you have kids aged 3-9 on the reservation, preferably at least as many kids as adults.

Deluxe dining (DxDP), on the other hand, is quite easy to save money on, for adults or kids.

My husband and I can eat for much less than that. Sometimes we share or just get a snack item for lunch. We don't drink sodas and get the free water instead. We also enjoy the ease of eating what we want and not needing to worry about calculating or verifying what is included in the plan.

Sometimes we share or just get a snack item for lunch. We don't drink sodas and get the free water instead.
I agree. We typically drink water - tap not bottled. If we do get a soda, we get one and share it. If we're getting a side like french fries, we only get one order as that's plenty for two people. We will also sometimes share meals. For example, at Pecos Bill's we'll get the fajita platter with an extra order of tortillas. That easily feeds the two of us and we still don't finish it all.

Dh & I never spend that much per day, and I'm not talking about sharing and skimping either. For starters, we don't drink sodas, so that cost is out, neither do we get desserts - just an occasional snack in between.

It really just depends on where you eat... We spent a lot more in Pandora on food than other places except for Be Our Guest. If you do regular QS, then I think you will be less. Plus, you don't do all expensive options all the time. I think it would balance out and possibly be cheaper. I just got back a few weeks ago and we spent around $100/day for me and my two daughters.

You already checked it out but you'd have to make the choice to get the most expensive things on the menu to get your money's worth, but there is plenty of stuff on the menus for more like $10-12 that I'd be interested in but I'd feel compelled to order the most expensive.

I would say that you can get value out of the QS plan if you are there during the Food & Wine Festival.

Your snack credits are pooled, so 2 people is 4 snacks per day times the number of nights on the plan. Hit up the F&WF kiosks for filet mignon, pork belly, Verlasso salmon, etc. and snack credits are worth $7.50+ each.

When I had to change my dates for my trip from sept to October, I had to lose my free dining dates. For the same room type with the qsdp it would have cost $410 or so. I thought this was ridiculous, free ain't free!! I looked at menus and figured I could still eat well by choosing kids meals for some meals. Someone said you can ask for just a hamburger without fries for example and it comes out cheaper & don't waste unwanted food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter