I'm joining Teresa and Kathy on their journey to health. Who's with me?

SDSorority

Traumatized by Magic Journeys and Haunted Mansion
Who's with me? I'm inspired by Teresa and Kathy's fitness journey, so I too will be working hard to exercise more regularly and eat food that's good for my body. Let's all do this together!!!

((hands in...)) GO TEAM! :cheer2:

Tiny step for today- I'm going to exercise (walk outside) on my lunch hour.

For lunch and snacks today I brought:

Apple
2 Cuties (those little oranges)
Celery and Cherry Tomatoes
Pork Chop
Handful of Cashews

Let's cheer T and K on, share tips, and be personally accountable for our health!

I'm wanting to lose a few pounds before I go down to Miami at the end of the month, and before I go to WDW in September. Though, the number on the scale isn't as important to me as how my clothes fit. And frankly, they're a little bit tight right now. Let's do this, ya'll! :banana: :yay: :dance3:

I'm in! Actually been working towards "looking better for vacation" for a couple months now. Down 17 lbs with a LOT left to go. But... I'm headed in the right direction and staying motivated!

I started out using a free app called LoseIt that worked really well for me. you can log your food (including scanning barcodes) and log exercise which will credit you back more calories you could consume. I'm not really logging my food anymore, cause I think I have established a good grasp of how many calories I can consume and when I'm pushing the boundaries. I still log my weight on it though, and it gives me a "date" by which I can meet my goal.

So... I'm here to support Kathy & Theresa, and anyone else just trying to get healthy, get active and make better decisions!

I'm in! Actually been working towards "looking better for vacation" for a couple months now. Down 17 lbs with a LOT left to go. But... I'm headed in the right direction and staying motivated!

I started out using a free app called LoseIt that worked really well for me. you can log your food (including scanning barcodes) and log exercise which will credit you back more calories you could consume. I'm not really logging my food anymore, cause I think I have established a good grasp of how many calories I can consume and when I'm pushing the boundaries. I still log my weight on it though, and it gives me a "date" by which I can meet my goal.

So... I'm here to support Kathy & Theresa, and anyone else just trying to get healthy, get active and make better decisions!

I'll have to check this app out!! Thanks!

Good luck on your fitness journey, ladies.

I'm up to 12.5lbs lost since just after Christmas. I walk 3-5 miles a day to work at least 3 days a week. I also enjoy playing just dance and using my mini stepper while I watch tv. I do Weight Watchers a little bit different than normal. I eat really healthy 6 days a week and have Saturdays off to eat anything naughty I've been wanting during the week or for meals out (still counting the points of course). It seems to work really well and I look forward to Saturdays more. Because fruit and veg is point free on the plan I have uped the amout I'm eating to over 5 a day and feeling a lot healthier for it.

Mel

My husband and I realized that we had started having after dinner snacks all evening. Basically, dinner started at 6:00pm and went on in courses until we went to bed. We gave up after dinner eating for lent and have continued to do it.

We will have dessert, but it is easier to eat one or two cookies right after dinner than it is to monitor portions later in the evening. Like Pete, I seemed to believe that if that box of cookies is opened, you must eat all the cookies.

Ok Ok me too

Current weight: 230
Ideal weight: 190

For no other reason then to see my kids grow up and become productive adults. I work on computers all day and drank four or five cans of Mtdew everyday. Gonna eat healthy and enjoy what I eat instead of just wolfing it down.

Bob N.

I'm with you, I feel a strong need to eat healthy because my paternal grandfather and my dad both died very young from heart attacks. My dad was only 42 and he wasn't more than 10 lbs overweight, so I feel the need to watch what I eat.

I always had a weakness for sugar/chocolate but about a year ago, I started giving it up. It took about two weeks to get over my craving of it, but once I did...Wow! I no longer desire sweets and frankly when I have a bite of something I used to love, it just tastes like sugar.

So if you are a sugar/chocolate addict, it is possible to get beyond the craving. I still don't keep M&M's, etc. in the house because I will find myself mindlessly eating them, even though I'm not really enjoying the taste.

I have found the website and app myfitnesspal to be very helpful in my journey towards better health.

Way to go everyone in this group!!! DW and I decided this was going to be our year to be the best us, and have committed to not fall off the workout wagon (3 months in and still doing great!)

Biggest challenge for us was accepting that we aren't going to be perfect and life will get in the way. We had to learn to roll with it and accept that some days will be good, some days will be bad, and some days will make you just want to give up. But every day is one step closer to our goals and we know that it's not going to happen over night.

Like EPCOT is a verb said, myfitnesspal is awesome (we both use it!) and really helps us be accountable for what we eat.

Best of luck to everyone on their fitness journey!!

The amount of emails, text messages, private messages and phone calls I have received since we did the show on Tuesday has been overwhelming.

You cannot know how wonderful a feeling it is to hear from so many people about how their struggles are similar to my own. Not that I am happy that you are having issues with food and exercise, but the fact that I am not alone in the way I feel or the fact that I know that I need to do something about making changes in my life.

Up until recently, I have been of the mentality that overeating and being a lazy couch potato was only hurting me. I knew I was wrong, but I kept telling myself this. When in reality I am hurting my children too. Do what mommy says, not what mommy does. I never said this, but in my actions they could see this.

I look at my Stella and I see a mini me.. In actions, likes, dislikes and bad habits she has learned from me. OK, yes I am crying now!!! But I want the best for my kids and right now they are not getting the best of mommy.

I was thinking about getting a late night snack, but decided to check the boards first to see if anything was going on. I found this thread and it stopped me cold from going to the kitchen.

So I thank you all for that! Today went well. And every day will be a challenge for me to get up off of my butt and move. to make the right choices and not over eat, but I feel really good about this.

Sorry to get all serious here, it's really not like me to lay It all out like this for everyone to see, but you all have inspired me.

So here's to baby steps and big life changes and getting into those clothes in the back of my closet with the tags still on them!!!

Thanks for listening,

T:wave2:

I'm in! Down about 40 lbs of the 100 lbs I want to lose. The show was such an encouragement to me and a good kick in the pants to keep going and really kick it in gear! Thanks to the whole team for such candid honesty throughout the episode! Let's do this!

Read the book fit2fat2fit he really gets into the mental challenge of being overweight and even gained 60 plus pounds just to practice what he preaches.

Bob N.

The amount of emails, text messages, private messages and phone calls I have received since we did the show on Tuesday has been overwhelming.

You cannot know how wonderful a feeling it is to hear from so many people about how their struggles are similar to my own. Not that I am happy that you are having issues with food and exercise, but the fact that I am not alone in the way I feel or the fact that I know that I need to do something about making changes in my life.

Up until recently, I have been of the mentality that overeating and being a lazy couch potato was only hurting me. I knew I was wrong, but I kept telling myself this. When in reality I am hurting my children too. Do what mommy says, not what mommy does. I never said this, but in my actions they could see this.

I look at my Stella and I see a mini me.. In actions, likes, dislikes and bad habits she has learned from me. OK, yes I am crying now!!! But I want the best for my kids and right now they are not getting the best of mommy.

I was thinking about getting a late night snack, but decided to check the boards first to see if anything was going on. I found this thread and it stopped me cold from going to the kitchen.

So I thank you all for that! Today went well. And every day will be a challenge for me to get up off of my butt and move. to make the right choices and not over eat, but I feel really good about this.

Sorry to get all serious here, it's really not like me to lay It all out like this for everyone to see, but you all have inspired me.

So here's to baby steps and big life changes and getting into those clothes in the back of my closet with the tags still on them!!!

Thanks for listening,

T:wave2:

:cheer2:

So far so good today- for breakfast I had 2 eggs scrambled in a little bit of butter and I'm about to munch on an apple. Lunch is a big-ole-salad with tons of lettuce, celery, a little chicken, and a dressing made out of olive oil and apple cider vinegar. I also packed up some frozen berries and carrots with 2 T of almond butter to have as a mid-afternoon snack. I get off early this afternoon, so I'm going to zoom over to the park to do a quick lap before coming home to make a quick dinner before my orchestra rehearsal tonight. The life of a musician... rehearsal on the Friday night before a concert...come on. Ah well. :charac2:

Way to go everyone on this journey!! Kathy and T, we're behind you 110%!! :wave2: :thumbsup2 :banana:

Thank you everyone for joining Teresa and I on our journey to a healthier life. At this point I am doing this for me. I will be sharing but I am not holding anyone accountable. I am a big fan of doing things when the time is right. My mind is in that place now to try this.

As I said on the Podcast I have lived through much worse that starting to exercise and eat healthy but this is going to be a tough challenge. I know that I need to take baby steps but to keep on taking them no matter what happens but easier said than done.

Please know that I appreciate every word of encourgement from all of you. It means more than you know.

Thanks for your support everyone!!!

Make sure to take vitamins you need to get all the nutrients your body needs and most of the time it's not in what we eat.

I am joining in on the conversation to support everyone and hold myself accountable. I began my healthy journey almost three years ago when I decided to have LapBand surgery. It was not an easy decision to make, but weighing in at almost 300lbs, I had already tried everything else. The Band keeps me accountable by preventing me from eating my trigger foods (bread, rice, pasta, soda). So far I am down 80lbs and am beginning the exercise portion of my journey to a better me. I have alwasy been an avid walker and took up running this winter. TRUST me, I am the last person who ever thought I would be running. It's great though! I'm not fast, and it's not pretty, but I'm out there doin something. So whether your walking, hiking, biking, cross-country skiing, running, dancing, whatever; just doing something for yourself and your loved ones is worht it in the end.

As far as apps go, I have found RunKeeper to be an awesome app. You can set it for hiking and walking as well. It keeps track of your time, distance, pace and calories burned. It's also a free app, which makes it all the better. You can also run your music over it and it will break in to update you when needed.

Good luck to everyone!

:thumbsup2 I love this. It is so true. I said in my other thread that I'm a physician and work daily with obese patients and need to find effective ways to counsel them. So many people simply focus on their weight - the number itself - rather than what it means to their health and their lifestyle and their job and their family. That's something I often try to incorporate into counseling - how much better people will feel, how much more energy they'll have, how much more productive they'll be, and what better habits they'll be modeling for their kids. Another point I often bring up, particularly because I work in a very poor area, is that it is way cheaper to eat healthy. Going to McDonald's and Popeye's and Dunkin Donuts and Dominos and all of those places on a daily basis is horribly expensive. I bet all of you who are taking on this challenge will find your food bills drop along with your weight as an added benefit.

To throw in my personal details, I've never really had a weight problem and I've been fairly health conscious for many years, but still I knew I wasn't doing as well as I could. Last August, right after we got back from our most recent Disney trip actually, I weighed 172. I'm 5'10" so that gave me a BMI of 24.6 - within normal but right on the edge (25 and under is ideal). It also happened to be the most I had ever weighed. Again, not a huge deal but I knew I could do better. I started watching my diet better - especially the sweets which is my downfall. I dusted off the treadmill which hadn't been used for a while and started walking again 2-3 nights/week (I'm not a morning exerciser either).

Since that time, my weight has dropped to 161 so a BMI of 23. And much to my surprise, my walking somehow turned into jogging. I used to love to run when I was younger but just figured my running days were over at 48 years old. In fact, I still enjoy it and actually went to a specialty running shoe store and got a good quality pair of running shoes which helped a great deal. Since 1/1/13, I've logged 35.75 miles on my treadmill. I found a free running log app on my iPhone and use that to track my progress which helps motivate me too.

Thanks to T and K for doing this. And I'm looking forward to meeting you both at the NJ meet in a couple of weeks!

I listened to the podcast and then got up off of the couch and went for a 2 mile walk with the dog. He and I both thank you for that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter