I'm going to get flamed....

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK.... here we go. I live in the DC area. I. HATE. TOURISTS. If I could get away with taking a chain saw to every flippin Cherry Blossom in this freakin' city I would.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Oh thank you for that..i needed a good laugh.....and i so know the feeling
not only about the trees but your West Central Nowhere ....

OK.... here we go. I live in the DC area. I. HATE. TOURISTS. If I could get away with taking a chain saw to every flippin Cherry Blossom in this freakin' city I would. I hate the fact that I cannot go to a business lunch without some family of sweaty and inappropriately dressed people from West Central Nowhere sitting next to me and discussing how important it is to remember that the Constitution was signed in 1776 and that the Pentagon must be that building that has cranes because it was attacked on 9/11 (ummmm... no, the Pentagon is in Virginia and has 5 sides - making it, well, a Pentagon... and, there is other construction in this city....) Sorry, I digress.

Anyway, empathy? HHHMMMMM.... probably not much. I can't get a hotel room in this city for business travelers if I tried. I have two people coming here next week and the best rate I could get for them was $600 plus tax per night in a standard room. Yes, I understand what tourism does to a town. I also understand that I live here- I made that choice - and that it's a place a lot of people want to see, much like WDW. I remember to watch a little more carefully in the Spring months for moronic tourists who insist on standing in the middle of 14th St. to photograph the Washington Momument and the Capitol Building - during rush hour. Again, I digress.... The OP, and other locals, need to remember that Disney is a business. They are in business to make money. They make money whether it's the locals filling their restaurants or the family from Guam. Don't worry - when the next terrorist attack happens travel will bottom out again. The streets of DC will be empty, and the restaurants in WDW will have plenty of availability. Until then, locals, and native DC'ers will be on the wrong end of supply and demand.

Precisely my points. Thanks for making them so well. :)

Though I do have some empathy for the OP. :)

I can understand the OP's plight - since I certainly don't make reservations for busy hometown restaurants more than a week in advance- if that! I plan my WDW trips WAY in advance, but I usually don't make dining reservations as far out -simply because I keep changing my mind about which parks I'll visit on which days. I've also read that people on the dining plan (especially during periods of free dining) have had a hard time finding some place to eat - requiring Disney to open dining locations that usually aren't open at other times of year. The parks might not be very crowded in September - but heaven help you if you want to EAT there that month!

There ARE choices...even the OP said there were....but they were at 9:30 at night....or offsite.

As to there being more choice....you're speaking as if WDW is a remote island. There is JUST as much choice in Orlando...as you, yourself, point out. If you go to Yankee Stadium on game day or the theater district in NYC on show nights, or the theater district in London on show night, or the area around the Eiffel Tower or the Louvre in Paris....you are not likely going to be able to walk in to an upscale place and be seated. If you want to eat there, you have to make ressies FAR in advance...because the tourists AND the locals flock to most of those places. The locals have learned they have to play by the same rules the tourists do, or they get locked out. It's no different in Orlando at WDW.

Yes, you can get irritated. Yes, you can vent. But then you have to look at this logically and realize it's not likely to change, because it's padding Disney's coffers and they have no REASON to change. So you grin and bear it, or move. Really, what other options are there?

My thoughts exactly. You can't compare NYC to WDW. NYC has so many places to eat and most people live there, so they have the opportunity to go home to eat. WDW has a limited number of places eat and almost everyone there needs to eat in the same few places.

I have lived in NYC. Just as the person above me posted, there are areas that you know will be crazy during certain times. If we wanted to walk in and eat then we went to places not in the touist zones during a popular time frame. The entire time we lived in the city I'd don't believe we ate anywhere near TS. We always went into the upper west side for quick service.

I have also lived in Lakeland, FL. Being that we were close we had the access to our car when visiting Disney, which many WDW's do not. If it was super busy, hot or just plain annoying we were able to leave the park and go to a local eatery that we knew would be available. Tourists to ORL and NYC often know strips and sections, but don't know about the local hangouts. They also may lack transportation (in Disney) or the know how to use public transport (in NYC), so their choices are limited.

Living in a city that is a toursit attraction has it negatives and positives. You have to battle all the lost folks, plan ahead for popular things and deal with long, long lines. It also means you get to be near the acction, have new attractions always being added and getting to enjoy things on the fly. Such is life. .

Hi all, well i am jezzabella's husband and having spent a few moments reading this thread, i am astonished at the amount of idiots who seem to think that they go to a big city like NYC and yet compare it to Disney. HELLO, no its not the same. To all the other out there thankyou for your comments.
If we are going to put out sensible hat on for a moment it is clear what the problem is. Disney, who are quote happy to take our money for the disney dining experience card and our annual passes, are not interested in honoring the dining experience card because they have already dedicated themselves to the dining plan. There would be an easy way for them to remedy this, and that is simply limit the percentage of bookings that can be made on the ddp. If they were to limit this to say 80% and completely stop double booking this would ease the situation somewhat. Although we understand no-one can ever be completely satisifed, it does take the mickey when you phone 6 disney resteraunts and are unable to get bookings either because some idiots have made several bookings and have no consideration for other people, or because they are full with people on the dpp.
And for the idiots who say that in their home town they book 180 days or even 2 months in advance for resteraunt reservations, i would love to know what planet they are from. I lived in London UK for a number of years and i never had to book such a ridiculous amout of days in advance, even for a fantastic resteraunt, and by insinuating that here in the USA you have to, only makes me think that if what that person said is true, (and its more likely that there is a pig flying outside my window) that Americans dont have the ability to do organise anything. Is that what your saying?
Lets be honest, yes we are lucky to live 2 min behind the Magic Kingdom, but believe it or not, when you cant get your kids out of school to go on holiday, or you cant take the time off work, i.e the low seasons, it is the locals who keep Disney going, and whilst Disney does make most of its money from tourists, the most spend per head actually comes from locals, so why should we be outcast. Come on people. Get a grip

Hi all, well i am jezzabella's husband and having spent a few moments reading this thread, i am astonished at the amount of idiots who seem to think that they go to a big city like NYC and yet compare it to Disney. HELLO, no its not the same. To all the other out there thankyou for your comments.
If we are going to put out sensible hat on for a moment it is clear what the problem is. Disney, who are quote happy to take our money for the disney dining experience card and our annual passes, are not interested in honoring the dining experience card because they have already dedicated themselves to the dining plan. There would be an easy way for them to remedy this, and that is simply limit the percentage of bookings that can be made on the ddp. If they were to limit this to say 80% and completely stop double booking this would ease the situation somewhat. Although we understand no-one can ever be completely satisifed, it does take the mickey when you phone 6 disney resteraunts and are unable to get bookings either because some idiots have made several bookings and have no consideration for other people, or because they are full with people on the dpp.
And for the idiots who say that in their home town they book 180 days or even 2 months in advance for resteraunt reservations, i would love to know what planet they are from. I lived in London UK for a number of years and i never had to book such a ridiculous amout of days in advance, even for a fantastic resteraunt, and by insinuating that here in the USA you have to, only makes me think that if what that person said is true, (and its more likely that there is a pig flying outside my window) that Americans dont have the ability to do organise anything. Is that what your saying?
Lets be honest, yes we are lucky to live 2 min behind the Magic Kingdom, but believe it or not, when you cant get your kids out of school to go on holiday, or you cant take the time off work, i.e the low seasons, it is the locals who keep Disney going, and whilst Disney does make most of its money from tourists, the most spend per head actually comes from locals, so why should we be outcast. Come on people. Get a grip

My oh my, you are charming. Idiots indeed. While you and I agree that comparing NYC to WDW is crazy we don't agree on anything else. When did WDW state they "not honoring the dining experience card because they have already dedicated themselves to the dining plan?" You, with your plan, are just viewed as another person with different plan. Everyone has to follow the same rules with regards to booking. You are not being treated as an "outcast" you just being required to book as far ahead as any other patron of Disney.

Disney clearly recognizes the value of the locals, hence the FL resident discount and the DDE. Using these just requires you get in line with everyone else shelling their dollars out to Disney.

Hi all, well i am jezzabella's husband and having spent a few moments reading this thread, i am astonished at the amount of idiots who seem to think that they go to a big city like NYC and yet compare it to Disney. HELLO, no its not the same.

Then explain, please, why it is not the same. FYI: It's not a comparison of WDW to NYC...it's a comparison of ORLANDO to NYC. Both have large tourist sections, both attract large amounts of tourist traffic, and both have very similar dining "issues" (tough to get into the upscale places, in touristy areas, on short notice). You say they're not the same. Explain why.

To all the other out there thankyou for your comments.
If we are going to put out sensible hat on for a moment it is clear what the problem is. Disney, who are quote happy to take our money for the disney dining experience card and our annual passes, are not interested in honoring the dining experience card because they have already dedicated themselves to the dining plan. There would be an easy way for them to remedy this, and that is simply limit the percentage of bookings that can be made on the ddp. If they were to limit this to say 80% and completely stop double booking this would ease the situation somewhat.

Other than that it's of great benefit to YOU for them to do that, why should they? Disney's concern is whether their restaurants are full. Not who fills them. Why should "locals" be allowed to play by different rules? What benefit is there, for Disney, to allow them to do so? Answer: None. I'm sorry you don't like that answer. I'm sorry it's not what you want to hear. I'm sorry you would like things to be different. They're not going to be, largely because there is not tangible benefit to Disney to MAKE them different.

Although we understand no-one can ever be completely satisifed, it does take the mickey when you phone 6 disney resteraunts and are unable to get bookings either because some idiots have made several bookings and have no consideration for other people, or because they are full with people on the dpp.

People on the DDP who had the same opportunity you did to make ressies leading up to that day. WHY should YOU be given preference OVER them because you live in the same geographic area as WDW exists in.

And I hardly see this as "not honoring the DDE" card. Eating at a WDW TS, or using the DDE card, is hardly an inalienable right, nor is the DDE card a "fastpass". Should ANY DDE card holder be promised a spot at any place at any time?

And for the idiots who say that in their home town they book 180 days or even 2 months in advance for resteraunt reservations, i would love to know what planet they are from. I lived in London UK for a number of years and i never had to book such a ridiculous amout of days in advance, even for a fantastic resteraunt, and by insinuating that here in the USA you have to, only makes me think that if what that person said is true, (and its more likely that there is a pig flying outside my window) that Americans dont have the ability to do organise anything.

Umm, how is planning ahead NOT being able to organize?

I just made our X-mas Eve '07 Dinner ressies for a local spot. Why? Because I know demand will significantly outstrip supply. So, either I make the ressie very early, or we don't get a table. I'm in the sticks of CT, now. It even happens here.

Everyone has the same opportunity to call, the same day, and make the same ressies. First come, first serve. The fairest system they can offer.

Yes, lets be honest. WDW is a business, and one that makes the majority of it's money off of tourists. Thus, they construct their policies to benefit tourists, who make up most of their revenue. They are going to make decisions, unpopular with the locals or not, to satisfy THAT market segment. And it's not like you're being put at a disadvantage...you're hardly "outcasts"...you're simply made to play on an even playing field with the tourists. Does it suck, personally, to get shut out? Sure. But you're viewing this emotionally, rather than logically. Answer this:

What benefit does Disney gain by holding open ressies? They take considerable risk that the tables remain empty, so what benefit outweighs that?

As for getting a grip....notice who the first one to start "name calling" was in this thread.

Disney, who are quote happy to take our money for the disney dining experience card and our annual passes, are not interested in honoring the dining experience card because they have already dedicated themselves to the dining plan. There would be an easy way for them to remedy this, and that is simply limit the percentage of bookings that can be made on the ddp.

DDP has certainly done what it was intended to do, which is make sure people are eating on-site. Now that the restaurants are more full, EVERYONE needs to make ADRs. Your DDE card does not mean you'll have a guaranteed reservation at the time and place of your choice. It means that once you have made your reservation (according to the same rules and timeline as EVERYONE else) you will get a discount on your meal. They are not discriminating against locals, everyone has the exact same opportunity to make their ADR. You don't know what you'll be in the mood for 6 months in advance, well neither does anyone else.

I lived in London UK for a number of years and i never had to book such a ridiculous amout of days in advance, even for a fantastic resteraunt

There are certainly some rare restaurants that are booked that far in advance, but not many. However, WDW is a place by itself. ANYBODY who wants to eat there needs to make an ADR. There is no discrimination whatsoever. Whether you live a mile away or 1000 miles away, if you want a certain time and place, you make your ARD at 180 days or count on luck.

Lets be honest, yes we are lucky to live 2 min behind the Magic Kingdom, but believe it or not, when you cant get your kids out of school to go on holiday, or you cant take the time off work, i.e the low seasons, it is the locals who keep Disney going, and whilst Disney does make most of its money from tourists, the most spend per head actually comes from locals, so why should we be outcast.
You're not outcast. You're simply subject to the same rules and restrictions as everyone else.

Oh for the love of bob! I also enjoyed the jab at Americans while referring to those who don't agree with you as "idiots." It's hard to make a case against the "idiots" when one cannot spell the word "restaurant". Get a Grip is right - perhaps some perspective would be helpful.

Then explain, please, why it is not the same. FYI: It's not a comparison of WDW to NYC...it's a comparison of ORLANDO to NYC. Both have large tourist sections, both attract large amounts of tourist traffic, and both have very similar dining "issues" (tough to get into the upscale places, in touristy areas, on short notice). You say they're not the same. Explain why.

What benefit does Disney gain by holding open ressies? They take considerable risk that the tables remain empty, so what benefit outweighs that?

The comparison is WDW to NYC, or any other city. It's WDW's policies that are being questioned.

If a restaurant in NYC is booked for 6 months, great for them. If hundreds of potential customers are turned away, it doesn't matter to that restaurant. Their tables are filled and that's all that matters to them.

If the same thing happens at a restaurant or restaurants in WDW, the customers are not just potential customers being turned away. They are paying customers of the WDW resort who are not happy. That impacts the resort as a whole.

That's not to say there is an easy solution, but for whatever benefits the dining plan may have for some guests, it is also causing issues for some guests.

Holding back reservations during busier times brings no risk of open tables. One needs only to look at walk-in waits during these peak times to understand that.

Still, I don't think holding reservations is really a solution. Its just spreading the problem around a little more.

Bottom line with the dining plan, Disney has increased demand for it's restaurants and the only way to solve that problem is to increase the supply along with it, which primarily means building more restaurants.

In regards to the "people who work for Disney" being happy about this..I can only gather that it would be anyone in a corporate capacity. The DDP has certainly not raised the wages of the hourly Disney CM. It has only given the "average" servers a right to give less than standard service with people on the DDP because of the guaranteed tip.

Believe me if restaurants and hotel rooms are not packed at Disney, people get laid off and they are not of the corporate capacity.

We have never gotten less than excellent service during the dining plan. Many jobs are not tipped based, they are paid a set fee. Do they give you less service because you have to pay in advance, I doubt it. Good servers are good regardless.

well, i must say, i have really rattled the saber havent i...lol

Ok even if you want to compare NYC to Orlando, how on earth can you do that, they are 2 different beasts, both in terms of population and density, thus i would hazzard a guess there are more restaurents in NYC than in Orlando. Many people seem to forget that Orlando is pretty much geared up to support Disney, and believe it or not Olive Garden isnt everyones cup of tea everytime one wantes to eat out.
I am not suggesting that they change the playing field for Locals, but i am suggesting that they keep a limited number of bookings free, not only for locals but also for walk ins, these could be guests who have just decided, ooh i fancy eating at le cellier or some other restaurent.

And this foolish notion of booking 180 days in advance is ridiculous and you proved it yourself, you were booking new years eve or christmas eve. Hello its a holiday, of course you have to book in advance. We are talking about normal every day scenarios, not oh i want to eat in le Cellier at 7.30 on 4th July and damn these tourists for taking my time. That is not the case at all and you are turning it into that.

And in terms of my comments regarding the dining experience this has been confirmed by numerous cast members that people mostly locals who utilise this service cannont get value for money because they struggle to get reservations because the DDP guests fully book the restaurents and one cast member told me the infuriating thing is tha when push comes to shove and the alloted time comes around they have on average 2 tables min empty because people make more than one booking.

Its not onl about people being idiots but it is also about them being selfish and having no thought forothers, it doesnt have to be locals, what about other dpp people who cant get reservations because those people have made double bookings, and to be honest the number of people who understand this and agree with our point of view only goes to confirm this and alot of them arnt even locals.

Perhaps the people who are so vehemently anti what we are trying to put forward are the same people who make these bookings( purely speculation of course).

I read this thread, but didn't post and a few minutes later I noticed
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1417174
this thread.

People need to be flexible with their restaurant choices. Le Cellier has become the new CRT, almost impossible to book at short notice but many other restaurants have availability with short notice. Many guests have been able to book Chefs de France with short notice.

There is a difference between not being able get a reasonable restaurant reservation and not being able to get your first choice at the exact time you want.

I read this thread, but didn't post and a few minutes later I noticed
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1417174
this thread.

People need to be flexible with their restaurant choices. Le Cellier has become the new CRT, almost impossible to book at short notice but many other restaurants have availability with short notice. Many guests have been able to book Chefs de France with short notice.

There is a difference between not being able get a reasonable restaurant reservation and not being able to get your first choice at the exact time you want.

I agree. My mom is a CM and eats regularly in the park restaurants with no problems. She is constantly telling me of the latest place she dined at and has never mentioned struggling to get a reservation. She and some friends even booked LeCellier last month at the last minute (though she was surprised at that! LOL)

I'm confused as to why some locals online can't get into anyplace during normal eating hours while the locals I know personally have been able to find a spot at the last minute if they are flexible in their choices.

The comparison is WDW to NYC, or any other city. It's WDW's policies that are being questioned.

If a restaurant in NYC is booked for 6 months, great for them. If hundreds of potential customers are turned away, it doesn't matter to that restaurant. Their tables are filled and that's all that matters to them.

If the same thing happens at a restaurant or restaurants in WDW, the customers are not just potential customers being turned away. They are paying customers of the WDW resort who are not happy. That impacts the resort as a whole.

That's not to say there is an easy solution, but for whatever benefits the dining plan may have for some guests, it is also causing issues for some guests.

Holding back reservations during busier times brings no risk of open tables. One needs only to look at walk-in waits during these peak times to understand that.

Still, I don't think holding reservations is really a solution. Its just spreading the problem around a little more.

Bottom line with the dining plan, Disney has increased demand for it's restaurants and the only way to solve that problem is to increase the supply along with it, which primarily means building more restaurants.

See, in THIS discussion, it's not. It's ORLANDO to NYC. Because in THIS discussion you're talking about locals, living in ORLANDO, not WDW guests, who are having the issue. You're talking about a local wanting to head to a touristy area and expecting to be able to make a ressie on relatively short notice.

If you want to compare "areas", it would be like comparing WDW to Times Square area in NYC. You might get into a traditional "chain" place as a walk up (because they don't accept ressies), but you're not likely going to get into an upscale eatery that accepts ressies.

I agree with some of your points (that the the unavailable TS issue can lead to some guest dissatisfaction) but don't see any real solution that Disney is likely to implement.

However, holding back tables DOES hold some risk. Granted, it's lower during "busy season"..but it still exists. The ADR system pretty much ensures, by algorithm, that tables are full pretty much constantly, too. And there's no reason for Disney to take that risk, at any time...since their current system fills tables.

I think the current system is, arguably, the "fairest" system they can implement. Equal access to everyone....

I agree, more restaurants is the answer. The question is: where do you put them?

i completely agree with you lewisc, but when one tries to make reservations for an evening and even offers the flexibility of 6 restaurents and still cant get a booking, its a pretty poor show.

I am sorry to offend the person before with my bad spelling because im in a hurry typing and i profusely appologise, still being English i guess it is my language and can do what i want with it, America has certainly butchered our language....y'all.....LOL THIS IS A JOKE AND SHOULD BE TAKEN AS SUCH< DONT GET OVER EXCITED AND WET YOURSELVES WITH RAGE, I THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY
DOH

The continued lack of empathy and understanding on this website amazes me...

I have empathy and understanding for a family going to Disney for the first time and possibly the last with a Make A Wish Child. I have empathy and understanding for a family that the only way they can go to Disney at all is to stay in a value and go with Free Dining.

I have alot of empathy for people who are truly suffering. I have little for people who want to have their cake and eat it too, and eat it when and where they want to and on short notice.

Disney World and Orlando is the major tourist destination in the nation, if someone did not realize that prior to moving there, then that is certainly no one's fault but their own. It goes with the territory.

Not being able to get last minute reservations to dine out is not high on my list of things to have a deep sympathy for.

One thing I have noticed and call it concidence or not, but us that like the DDP seem to have little problem getting our ADRs when we want them, even last minute.

Those that hate it, really seem to be the ones having the problems. Interesting.

There are very, very, very few NYC restaurant experiences where I couldn't get a reservation within a reasonable time frame. VERY few. And for the most part, they're restaurants that are tourist traps or high end flavor-of-the-month restaurants. Even NYC greats are available. I've entertained and been entertained in NYC for years and have never had the problems currently occurring at WDW. Quite frankly, comparing the NYC scene to Orlando or WDW isn't accurate. Getting ANY sort of ADR at ANY WDW restaurant within a few weeks of dining has become problematic during busy season. And now busy season has extended itself far beyond normal WDW tourist season. Free dining has now made August/Sept busy and DDP has ramped up the occupancy rate at many WDW restaurants year round. It's an artificial and perhaps unsustainable rate of occupancy. Restaurants won't handle that overload for months on end without sacrificing quality. And I believe we're already seeing that happen.

WDW has enjoyed robust restaurant trade due to the DDP. If the quality declines (or as I believe....CONTINUES to decline) and the loopholes are closed, you'll find less people using the DDP. Of course, the restaurants may no longer be a place for destination dining desired by locals and/or tourists. We may see some significant decline and you won't want to be at WDW restaurants. Until it eases off, though, I think you're stuck. I'd spend my bucks elsewhere and probably vow not to spend any significant money using WDW dining now or in the future. That's what we've decided to do.

WDW doesn't care right now. Their restaurants are filled. Tomorrow, it may be another target they aim for. Unfortunately for locals, you're suffering (so am I, though......the quality has declined significantly IMO and the prices look ridiculous as a result - and you can take 20% off for the pleasure of being onsite and it STILL looks ridiculous). I'd say move on. It's obvious WDW doesn't care about you. And that's a shame but it's big business.

Why has it come down to insuiating that I must be lying about my difficulty because your mom the CM can get them?

My mom is a CM, my dad is in Management at WDW and we all have problems with it....:confused3 Perhaps they just have my name on some master list at disney booking stating "Do not book Jezebella".

Why has it come down to insuiating that I must be lying about my difficulty because your mom the CM can get them?

My mom is a CM, my dad is in Management at WDW and we all have problems with it....:confused3 Perhaps they just have my name on some master list at disney booking stating "Do not book Jezebella".

Is that your name or your screen name, if truly it is your name, then yes you might on the Disney, anti DISboards, hit list.:rotfl:

Just kidding of course, but they do read these forums. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter