I'm going to be arrested at Macy's .....

That happened to me today at Macy's. I bought a purse and walked into the mall, nothing happened. I walked back into Macy's to go to the car and set the alarm off. Noone came to check my bag or anything. I walked back over to the woman who rang my bag up and she was so shocked that I walked oout of the store with no problem.

I bought a sweater when I went to the outlets in indiana(in nov) at the maurices store. There wasn't one by me and when I got home to show df all my nice stuff there was a lovely plastic security tag hanging from my sweater. I was so upset as the drive was about a hour and a half away from me. Luckily the next week I was moving to wi and just happened to be passing by the outlets on my way so I stopped and sure enough the tag made the sensors go off, but the funny thing is it didn't beep on the way out. I wonder how many people get away with stolen stuff since those sensors don't actually seem to work except to embarrass someone who isn't really stealing. good luck:goodvibes

That happened to me today at Macy's. I bought a purse and walked into the mall, nothing happened. I walked back into Macy's to go to the car and set the alarm off. Noone came to check my bag or anything. I walked back over to the woman who rang my bag up and she was so shocked that I walked oout of the store with no problem.

It always amazes me when the alarm goes off and people will stop to have their bags checked and a clerk will just look over, say "You're OK", and let them go. I guess they figure if you're stopping you're innocent. Only the guilty run I guess.

I just thought of a funny story that happened to my DH several years ago - -

My DD was little, maybe 2 years old, and my DH took her to the mall to do Christmas shopping. He stopped at the bookstore and bought several history books for himself and some friends. He checked out and when he went to leave the store, pushing DD in her stroller, the store alarm went off. DH stopped and a clerk came over to do an inspection. Lo and behold my DD had taken some Danielle Steele books on tape and put them in the stroller! The clerk gave my DH a look and my DH said "Did you see what kind of books I just bought? Do I look like I'd be interested in Danielle Steele??". Luckily, they let him leave the store! If she had taken some history books, oh I don't want to think about it! So we always tease DD how she almost got Daddy thrown in jail! :lmao:

Once when I was at work I had asked my boss to pick me up a tube of Abreeva ( cold sore medicine ) at the Walgreen's next door. It comes in such a tiny little tube that I left the packaging on so I wouldn't lose it in my purse. That night my DH and I went to Wal-Mart and sure enough I made the alarm go off when entering the store, the again on the way out. It wasn't until I got home that I saw that there was a security device attatched to the package. I would have been embarrassed to death if I had been searched and they found that in my purse. Of course, my boss hadn't given me a receipt so I would have really looked like a thief!

This just happened to me at Old Navy - apparently they now put the sensor devices into the fabric in a seam in pants.....well in I walk, wearing Old Navy pants that I've owned, washed & worn for months & the alarms go off. I had nothing but my purse which I gladly showed them. I went back through the door & it happened again. I was totally frustrated until another employee came up & asked if I was wear ON pants. I said I was, and she said that I forgot to remove my security tag. When I got home I saw that you actually have to cut the piece of fabric out of the pants that has the device in it!

Oh, that is what that is. I had no idea. I cut it off because it isn't comfortable and it says to remove before washing. But you learn something new everyday. :thumbsup2

Today I went to the mall with my DD (10) and DMIL. We all had bra fittings at Macy's. I was the only one that ended up buying a bra. My DD tried one on and liked it but wanted to look around at other stores and see what else she might find (now that she knew her size).

Anyway, we get home and I am unpacking our purchases. I notice the security device is still on the bra I bought. It never set off the alarm. I proceed to look for my receipt and it's not in the bag. Oh great. Then I remembered that the salesperson initially handed me my receipt but then took it back because she wanted to write the name and style of the bra my DD liked in case we ended up coming back. She obviously didn't give the receipt back to me and I was dumb not to have paid more attention.

I called Macy's immediately and spoke to the manager in the women's intimate apparel department - turns out it was the woman that rang up my purchase. I told her what happened and she apologized profusely. She gave me her name & telephone number and also said she'd leave a note in case she wasn't in when I stopped by (which probably won't be until next weekend). She said I'd also get a 15% discount for the trouble.

But, I am afraid when I walk into Macy's with a bra with the security device - which will probably be triggered this time - and no receipt I'm gonna get arrested. Nah, not really. But I sure am nervous! I can just picture that scene in Trading Places where Eddie Murphy is lying on the ground surrounded by policemen with their guns drawn - - "Is there a problem officers"?. :lmao:

I use to work undercover security at the mall. I probably should not post this but you know all you have to do when you go thru the door is put your hand over the sensor and it will not go off. :scared1: I hope no one uses this for bad intentions.

This just happened to me at Old Navy - apparently they now put the sensor devices into the fabric in a seam in pants.....well in I walk, wearing Old Navy pants that I've owned, washed & worn for months & the alarms go off. I had nothing but my purse which I gladly showed them. I went back through the door & it happened again. I was totally frustrated until another employee came up & asked if I was wear ON pants. I said I was, and she said that I forgot to remove my security tag. When I got home I saw that you actually have to cut the piece of fabric out of the pants that has the device in it!

I hate that security tag! Gap has it too. My problem is that the edge where I have cut it always ends up irritating me- it is way itchy. There is not an easy way to get the entire thing out- I always end up with a jagged piece of fabric rubbing my skin!

This just made me realize that DH has a pair of ON jeans that has been setting off the alarms at Target since before Christmas. We could not figure out what it was- we thought there was something in his coat. I was just getting ready to tell the story of the mystery alarm setting coat, when I realized that his jeans are Old Navy and I never told him to cut the tag! I just had him bring me the jeans, and the tag is still there. He is so mad about it that he wants to write a nasty letter to Old Navy about it. His big problem is that since they don't remove the tag in the store, they need to tell customers to do it, because it isn't always in a very noticable spot.

If you used a Macy's card for the purchase you do not need your receipt. You can insert your card at the counter and your transaction will display at the register. I really like the way that works.

Actually, if you used any credit card for the purchase they should be able to find it. I had a similar thing happen to me at a Kohl's store and when I brought the item back to remove the die tag, the alarm did not sound. I think it's set for items leaving, not coming back in.

If you used a Macy's card for the purchase you do not need your receipt. You can insert your card at the counter and your transaction will display at the register. I really like the way that works.

Actually, if you used any credit card for the purchase they should be able to find it. I had a similar thing happen to me at a Kohl's store and when I brought the item back to remove the die tag, the alarm did not sound. I think it's set for items leaving, not coming back in.

I'm pretty sure since this was 8 years ago, the OP has taken care of it by now, lol!

Ok I'll add another bizarre story. several years ago for about a week every time I went into a department store the alarms would sound. Never was stopped, at that point I would only have my purse. Finally very embarrassed going in Kohl's I ask the sales clerk to help me figure out what was causing it. Turns out I had purchased stamps from the USPO and hadn't opened them. Bingo! The clerk never deactivated the sensor and being it was just a flat pack in my wallet, not noticeable. Still get embarrassed when I think about the looks I'd get from other shoppers.:furious:

I'm not sure they had that technology back in 2008.

Several years ago (maybe even around the time this thread was started, lol) I bought a coat at Ann Taylor. Left the store no problem. But EVERY TIME I would enter one (not all, just one specific one) Walmart in the area, the alarms would go off. Couldn't figure it out. Finally one day the greeter had a detector wand and I asked her to help me figure out why I was setting off the alarm as I entered the store. She found the sensor tag sewn into the seam of the coat. It was nearly the same color as the lining, so I had never noticed it!

It always amazes me when the alarm goes off and people will stop to have their bags checked and a clerk will just look over, say "You're OK", and let them go. I guess they figure if you're stopping you're innocent. Only the guilty run I guess.

I just thought of a funny story that happened to my DH several years ago - -

My DD was little, maybe 2 years old, and my DH took her to the mall to do Christmas shopping. He stopped at the bookstore and bought several history books for himself and some friends. He checked out and when he went to leave the store, pushing DD in her stroller, the store alarm went off. DH stopped and a clerk came over to do an inspection. Lo and behold my DD had taken some Danielle Steele books on tape and put them in the stroller! The clerk gave my DH a look and my DH said "Did you see what kind of books I just bought? Do I look like I'd be interested in Danielle Steele??". Luckily, they let him leave the store! If she had taken some history books, oh I don't want to think about it! So we always tease DD how she almost got Daddy thrown in jail! :lmao:

My daughter did this with a small stuffed animal at a music store. We were pushing her around in the stroller, made some purchases, go to walk out, and the alarm goes off. We look down, and DD2 had a stuffed animal in her hands she'd been able to grab off a low shelf, and we never even noticed.

I know this is a really really old thread, but it was very entertaining to read today.
I was at K-Mart once a very long time ago (my dd is 20 now) and I had my dd in the cart seat, and we went to leave the store and the alarm went off. I didn't buy anything that had tags on it, and couldn't figure out what could be setting it off. Kmart wasn't thrilled with my leaving with the alarm beeping, so we kept looking and trying again. We somehow finally realized that someone had peeled the security tag off of a movie or something, and stuck it on the underside of the child seat. So the cart is what was setting off the alarm!

Today I went to the mall with my DD (10) and DMIL. We all had bra fittings at Macy's. I was the only one that ended up buying a bra. My DD tried one on and liked it but wanted to look around at other stores and see what else she might find (now that she knew her size).

Anyway, we get home and I am unpacking our purchases. I notice the security device is still on the bra I bought. It never set off the alarm. I proceed to look for my receipt and it's not in the bag. Oh great. Then I remembered that the salesperson initially handed me my receipt but then took it back because she wanted to write the name and style of the bra my DD liked in case we ended up coming back. She obviously didn't give the receipt back to me and I was dumb not to have paid more attention.

I called Macy's immediately and spoke to the manager in the women's intimate apparel department - turns out it was the woman that rang up my purchase. I told her what happened and she apologized profusely. She gave me her name & telephone number and also said she'd leave a note in case she wasn't in when I stopped by (which probably won't be until next weekend). She said I'd also get a 15% discount for the trouble.

But, I am afraid when I walk into Macy's with a bra with the security device - which will probably be triggered this time - and no receipt I'm gonna get arrested. Nah, not really. But I sure am nervous! I can just picture that scene in Trading Places where Eddie Murphy is lying on the ground surrounded by policemen with their guns drawn - - "Is there a problem officers"?. :lmao:

I would go to the mall and leave the bra in the bag, go into the store and GET the receipt from the clerk, or at least stop at the desk in that department to talk to the person who is on duty and explain the situation. I would then take the receipt with me out to the car to get my bag and bring it in, or if they didn't have the physical receipt, I'd at least be ready to explain that they could call the lady in the lingerie department if they had an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter