• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm Going Away... FOREVER! Oh, Great! Could You Get Me a Sandwich?? - updated 6/23!

Awww looks like a great family :)
I was HOOKED after reading the title of this TR!

I have a very small family and I'm always in awe of big families like yours!
Can't wait to read more about your trip!

That does make me feel better. Thank you.

We dropped the ball on the dummy cruise. We talked about it briefly before the trip and money was too tight. Then on the cruise we changed our minds, but never found the time to visit wherever it was you had to go to talk to someone about it. Really kicking ourselves about that.

Forgot to mention before that we didn't tell everyone about the girls' birthdays because from my perspective, I was more concerned about making the cruise about our parents' anniversary. I left the girls' birthdays to their dad and figured we'd celebrate them at WDW after the cruise. One was on the last night, and the other was while we were at WDW the week after.

That makes sense on the bdays. Bummer on the dummy. I almost didn't do it as Jeff wasn't sold on doing it anytime soon but I knew if I didn't I'd be mad and figured it was worth the $200 or so deposit to hold it. Did make the end of the month tight to be sure though! And since returning home there are few he might be interested in after all for 2014 so I'm glad we at least have the option.

Just found this and am comiong along for the ride.

Great start. Big cast.

Thank you!! Welcome Aboard!!

Looks like you had a nice little beach getaway over the long weekend! :thumbsup2 Just a shame that Jackson isn't a big beach fan. :rotfl2:

He is a fickle little guy. You can never be sure what he is going to like, even if he seemed to like it before.

Awww looks like a great family :)
I was HOOKED after reading the title of this TR!

I have a very small family and I'm always in awe of big families like yours!
Can't wait to read more about your trip!

Thanks!! Welcome Aboard!!

I'm all subbed in and caught up. Looks like quite a traveling hoard you've got!

Thanks, Barry. We're are own Brazilian Tour Group!!

That makes sense on the bdays. Bummer on the dummy. I almost didn't do it as Jeff wasn't sold on doing it anytime soon but I knew if I didn't I'd be mad and figured it was worth the $200 or so deposit to hold it. Did make the end of the month tight to be sure though! And since returning home there are few he might be interested in after all for 2014 so I'm glad we at least have the option.

I hope you find a good one when the info gets released!!

A couple of things to report before I get the next installment up.

Today is Bella's first day of Kindergarten!! She was very excited, and a bittersweet moment for us to see her off to school this morning!

192941_4418625351131_1292369163_o.jpg

and in other news, our extended family has grown overnight, and not in the usual way you might expect that to happen. A few weeks ago, I renewed my Ancestry.com subscription and was getting back into researching my family history. There are a lot of new records since I was last actively searching, and one of those connected me to another member researching my mother's family. I sent a message to get more info, and it turns out the account belonged to someone researching my mom's family on behalf of a friend... and that friend is my mom's cousin, which we didn't know about. (that makes her my 1st cousin, once removed).

We've exchanged a couple of emails, and everything she's told me confirms that we're related. She lives in Maryland, so there's a good chance to meet sometime soon since she's not that far away.

a very exciting last 24 hours!!

A couple of things to report before I get the next installment up.

Today is Bella's first day of Kindergarten!! She was very excited, and a bittersweet moment for us to see her off to school this morning!

192941_4418625351131_1292369163_o.jpg

What a cute picture of your daughter. I took the same 1st day of Kindergarten picture just a few weeks ago, my son started on Aug 9th. He's an old hand at it now if she needs any Kindergarten tips. :lmao:

A little background on how this all came together...

millions of years ago, the Earth was a molten mass that slowly cooled...

url

am I starting too far back??

:rotfl2:

This trip was centered around my parents' anniversary. A number of years ago, when it became apparent that the milestone was approaching, there were some preliminary discussions as to what we should do to celebrate the occasion. My mom said she wanted to get everyone together and go somewhere, just like we used to do when we went to WDW back in the day. Seemed an easy enough proposition, and it gave everyone plenty of time to save up and schedule their vacation time and make sure they had everything in order. right? right.

2 years ago, in the summer of 2010, we had most of the family out to visit us. This could have been at Bella's dance recital, or it may have just been a BBQ. I can't remember the exact day, but Lisa would. She's good like that. Two things of note were discussed at that party. First, we broke the news that we were pregnant again. Second, the topic of the big 50th anniversary vacation came up and the idea to do a disney cruise was brought up and it seemed everyone was "on board" with it. All we needed was to figure out the date/length/destinations. Child's play.

So a year later, my family is at our house once again. This time, it IS for bella's recital (I can remember this one!) A few days before the recital, Lisa and I bring up the topic of the cruise and we are wondering if anyone besides us has put any thought into it since the previous summer... so we get online and start looking at cruises and throwing numbers together.

At the after-party following the big performance, we pull out the notes and get everyone discussing the trip. We look at the prices for 4-night cruises to the bahamas out of port canaveral, focusing on July and Early August. In the end, we settle on the August 1 cruise because it appears to have more of the cheaper category staterooms available.

I believe that this is also the conversation where it was decided to not even bother including 2 of my brothers in the plans. One couldn't be counted on to show up to any family function what-so-ever, and the other was estranged from the family and only called when he was in dire need of something. And that something was usually money.

At this point, it seems clear to us that everyone will continue to drag their feet unless someone takes charge. So we, very reluctantly, volunteer to reach out to a travel agent to help us coordinate booking multiple rooms. We went with Small World because prior to becoming DVC members, Lisa and I had used them to book one of our vacations. I was just getting more involved on the DIS, after lurking for several years and only visiting to find a answer to some question or another. While researching this trip, I found the DisDads and signed myself up, and got a lot more involved, even starting my very first TR, six months or so after that trip! :rotfl2:

the TA assigned to us got back to me quickly, and after a number of phone calls to nail down the room assignments (since they needed all the names to book) I got us a quote for 7 rooms. The rooms were being held and we all needed to pay our deposits to be officially booked. It was a nerve-racking week as we followed-up almost daily (which for my family, is A LOT, and VERY ANNOYING) to see if everyone got their deposits in. At the deadline, I got an email from the TA confirming that everyone was booked and we were good to go!!

Now all we had to do was figure out all the other details... like getting there and back, where we would stay, and if we would do WDW at all along with it.

But at least the hard part was over. We were now committed to it and it was going to happen!

What a cute picture of your daughter. I took the same 1st day of Kindergarten picture just a few weeks ago, my son started on Aug 9th. He's an old hand at it now if she needs any Kindergarten tips. :lmao:

Thank you! Aug 9th?? wow. that's early! He's practically a first grader now! :lmao:

Thank you! Aug 9th?? wow. that's early! He's practically a first grader now! :lmao:

Yep, Aug 9th, the good thing about starting the early is we're done by Memorial Day, I'm thinking a WDW trip before it gets to busy with the summer season might be in order.:thumbsup2

Well, since I can't stop you from reading and I don't have the power to delete your posts... Welcome Aboard!! :rotfl2:

I think we can put our differences aside for the time being. The Nats look like they'll be driving us both crazy for a few years.

:sad2: who would've thought the nationals would be the ones? I was worried about you guys in the beginning there!

But yay for the first day of kindergarten! That's very exciting. Hope she had a great first day!

Hope she had a great first day!

Becky makes me want to change my profile to a picture of my Cubs Vinylmation. What a great idea!

At least we can all agree that all of our teams are terrible this year! But I'm used to it.

I can understand how hard it must have been to get everyone to book. I'm going to be in charge of planning my MiLs 60th birthday trip (in 3 years) and I'm already dreading it.

Just found this TR and all caught up, only 4 pages in not bad! Adorable family and expecting some great pics! I'm glad that some other crazy person is planning a trip in 2014! We were planning to visit the World again in 2013 but a very exciting trip(France!) came up for my oldest daughter March 2013 so the rest of the family waits until 2014 to vacation. February 2014, here we come!

Awww.....Bella looks so cute on her 1st day of kindergarten! I hope she's enjoying it!

I can't even begin to imagine coordinating a vacation for so many people. :eek: And I'm an overly-organized person. As it is, my aunt & uncle are considering going on the same cruise as us next June & it's making me all anxious that they haven't booked yet. :rotfl:

Yep, Aug 9th, the good thing about starting the early is we're done by Memorial Day, I'm thinking a WDW trip before it gets to busy with the summer season might be in order.:thumbsup2

I can't imagine the school year being like that. It just seems weird to me!! But then I could finally go for Star Wars Weekends!!

:sad2: who would've thought the nationals would be the ones? I was worried about you guys in the beginning there!

But yay for the first day of kindergarten! That's very exciting. Hope she had a great first day!

I think our new strategy is to collapse earlier and earlier each season. In a few years, we'll collapse on opening day.

Bella enjoyed her first day and was very excited to go back today!!

Hope she had a great first day!

Becky makes me want to change my profile to a picture of my Cubs Vinylmation. What a great idea!

At least we can all agree that all of our teams are terrible this year! But I'm used to it.

The World of Disney store in Manhattan used to have both Mets and Yankees stuff in the spring. This year, the new store only had yankees stuff. I was very upset and more than a little insulted. The phillies and cubs were included in the first set of vinyls. but not the mets. I am waiting very patiently for them to release it. Baseball season is almost over. what are they waiting for???

BTW, the MLB vinyls are onsale for $5 each right now.

http://www.disneystore.com/disney/store/DSISearch?storeId=10051&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&N=0&Nu=pProductID&Ntk=All_Shopping&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=baseball+vinylmation&CMP=KNC-DSPDParksnResortsGoogle&s_kwcid=TC%7c12111%7cmlb%2520vinylmation%7c%7cS%7ce%7c11029331352

I can understand how hard it must have been to get everyone to book. I'm going to be in charge of planning my MiLs 60th birthday trip (in 3 years) and I'm already dreading it.

It was no walk in the park. It was frustrating to be the ones who were ready to go and then to have to sit there and wait for everyone else to get their act together.

Just found this TR and all caught up, only 4 pages in not bad! Adorable family and expecting some great pics! I'm glad that some other crazy person is planning a trip in 2014! We were planning to visit the World again in 2013 but a very exciting trip(France!) came up for my oldest daughter March 2013 so the rest of the family waits until 2014 to vacation. February 2014, here we come!

Probably getting ahead of myself with the 2014 trip. We have a plan in place for 2013, but need to wait until December to get Lisa's school calendar for next year and see how it matches up with our plans. It's very weird for me, but it looks like we have the next 4 years planned.

2013 - summer week at Hilton Head + Fall WDW for an extended weekend
2014 - summer cruise
2015 - our 10th anniversary adventure!! Disneyland + Aulani
2016 - Lisa's birthday wish, London (with a side trip to Disneyland Paris?)

we'll probably put all our points from 2014, 2015, and 2016 into that disneyland + aulani trip. and pay OOP for the cruise and the london trip. The london trip could be without the kids. we will see. it's a long way off!!

Awww.....Bella looks so cute on her 1st day of kindergarten! I hope she's enjoying it!

I can't even begin to imagine coordinating a vacation for so many people. :eek: And I'm an overly-organized person. As it is, my aunt & uncle are considering going on the same cruise as us next June & it's making me all anxious that they haven't booked yet. :rotfl:

I mentioned to my mom the other night that we were thinking about another cruise in 2014, and she said, "oh, then you came to the same conclusion that we did." I think Lisa had a mini-heart-attack when I told her. :scared1: I think all we can do is put it out there and let them know which one we are booking (because we KNOW we'll book first) and if they join, they join. If they choose another, well, what can you do? :confused3

url

Not if it were one of my TR’s… :lmao:
But then it’s historical digressions of that caliber which keep all but a hand full of loons from reading them

Seemed an easy enough proposition, and it gave everyone plenty of time to save up and schedule their vacation time and make sure they had everything in order. right? right.

That's a rather large group for anything to be easy…
Well see.
popcorn::

While researching this trip, I found the DisDads and signed myself up, and got a lot more involved, even starting my very first TR, six months or so after that trip! :rotfl2:

And were glad to have you on board…
enjoyed the first TR as well.

The rooms were being held and we all needed to pay our deposits to be officially booked. It was a nerve-racking week as we followed-up almost daily (which for my family, is A LOT, and VERY ANNOYING) to see if everyone got their deposits in.

:headache: can only imagine

At the deadline, I got an email from the TA confirming that everyone was booked and we were good to go!!

Now all we had to do was figure out all the other details... like getting there and back, where we would stay, and if we would do WDW at all along with it.

That’s all! :eek: :rotfl2:

But at least the hard part was over. We were now committed to it and it was going to happen!

And that’s important part. :thumbsup2

Hey James! :wave2: Somehow I missed your shameless plug. But now I found you, so there's no avoiding me. :stir:

Quite the large cast of characters you have there! And your daughter's first day of school picture is too cute.

Hmmm... A trip for your parents' anniversary and you stepped up to organize a lot of the plans. Somehow that sounds vaguely familiar to me. :lmao::rotfl2:

A little background on how this all came together...

url

No, not when it comes to planning something like this!

At this point, it seems clear to us that everyone will continue to drag their feet unless someone takes charge. So we, very reluctantly, volunteer to reach out to a travel agent to help us coordinate booking multiple rooms.

The TA assigned to us got back to me quickly, and after a number of phone calls to nail down the room assignments (since they needed all the names to book) I got us a quote for 7 rooms. The rooms were being held and we all needed to pay our deposits to be officially booked. It was a nerve-racking week as we followed-up almost daily (which for my family, is A LOT, and VERY ANNOYING) to see if everyone got their deposits in. At the deadline, I got an email from the TA confirming that everyone was booked and we were good to go!!

Oh I SO feel your pain! We are trying to plan something similar, though no cruise component. But it involves one villa on points and another villa probably in cash. Possibly 2 treehouses over new years...not an easy feat. We've been chatting about it for oh, I dunno, 2 years? I sent info out a couple of weeks ago to my family with the not so quiet comment that I figured if we start talking about it now we might have a decision by Thanksgiving. Like you, 2 siblings not included on the initial info. We figure once things are nailed down, if ever, then we will inform them and if they want to come cool...if not...cool too.

The last time I did this, with Jeff's mom and her DH we used a travel agent so I wasn't the middle man and...I was still the middle man. Very similar deposit issues and that was with only 1 other room! It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

:lmao:

But you are BOOKED! Always a very good start and deposits made...always a stressor.

Misery loves company :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter