• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm far from over protective....question

5lilfish

DIS Veteran
I have an opportunity to send my tweens to a girls camp about politics. It's a one day camp...and there's no political party connection to it. It's sort of a leadership camp. During the day, they run for office (making a campaign...posters, speech, etc). Then once congress and other officials are elected, they draft a bill and see it through the political process. I'll admit, my kids are happy little nerds when it comes to learning (and I mean that in a wonderful way...they are just very into learning).

Here's the thing.... Am I crazy to let the ugliness of the last week enter my thought process. Like my title says, I am not the over protective type. I also don't want to live in fear, but these are my kids. I mean, I get it...but these are my kids. Right now, even without a political party being involved in this program, I'm a little nervous about putting them in a hotel conference room for this great program with any tie in to politics. It's probably stupid to be concerned but.… The program has all the safety procautions in place internally....good staff/kid ratio, background checks etc. It's the tie in to politics the week before the election and the major hate that we have seen this past week that makes me a little nervous.

Respectful thoughts, please...

Jess

I don't have a helpful opinion but I'm chiming in to say that as a parent, these are unfortunately the things we think about in today's world. I worry about the safety of my 5 year old's kindergarten class. I'm sure if my kids were older I would be very worried in a scenario like this. But at the same time, it sounds like a wonderful program and an excellent opportunity. Any chance you could volunteer that day and be in the room with them?

Sad we even have to think/worry like this.

It sounds like such an Interesting learning experience. If this were in a big city, popular convention center with unknown security imho.. I’d skip ( not a helicopter parent but comfort level for me/gut reaction would likely guide me. )

With tweens... are they well aware of recent events, can u somehow use these recent incidents as a further opportunity to teach about being ...evil, aware of surroundings, knowing exits etc??
While we should not give in to Evil and move forward in our daily lives... I always think...
Go with ur gut.
Whatever you decide, will be the Correct decisions for ur kids!

I have an opportunity to send my tweens to a girls camp about politics. It's a one day camp...and there's no political party connection to it. It's sort of a leadership camp. During the day, they run for office (making a campaign...posters, speech, etc). Then once congress and other officials are elected, they draft a bill and see it through the political process. I'll admit, my kids are happy little nerds when it comes to learning (and I mean that in a wonderful way...they are just very into learning).

Here's the thing.... Am I crazy to let the ugliness of the last week enter my thought process. Like my title says, I am not the over protective type. I also don't want to live in fear, but these are my kids. I mean, I get it...but these are my kids. Right now, even without a political party being involved in this program, I'm a little nervous about putting them in a hotel conference room for this great program with any tie in to politics. It's probably stupid to be concerned but.… The program has all the safety procautions in place internally....good staff/kid ratio, background checks etc. It's the tie in to politics the week before the election and the major hate that we have seen this past week that makes me a little nervous.

Jess
Back in my day that type of education would have been called "Civics" and it's massively important for young people to learn how their local and national political systems work and what their role in it is. The camp sounds very, very beneficial. It might even be a great way to cut through the surreal political environment you've been living for the past two years and put "how it should work" into perspective. I think it's a great opportunity.

As to the aspects of safety, well, it sounds quite non-controversial on the face of it. It's not likely to attract much attention from anyone not involved in it directly and not very likely to be targeted. :confused3 Then again, how can you know? How safe is safe enough? Your nation is in the midst of troubled times and honestly, I don't know how I would feel or what I would do. :flower3:

Thank you for the replies...

My kids have definitely learned about civics...but to actually be involved in it like this camp provides the opportunity to be is pretty cool. I agree these are important lessons. I told my kids (these are my last 2 of 5 kids), that this would also be very helpful if they decide to run for class office, which they can do starting next school year.

I’m leaning toward sending them. My brian knows it’s the right choice. I get what the person who said meant by domestic terrorism isn’t a high risk. The problem is that sounds very sane and reasonable in theory, but theory won’t do a whole lot for those people that have been victims. My brain will probably win, but my heart plays a bit of a role too...esp when it comes to my kids.

Thanks again to All.

Jess

Back in my day that type of education would have been called "Civics" and it's massively important for young people to learn how their local and national political systems work and what their role in it is. The camp sounds very, very beneficial. It might even be a great way to cut through the surreal political environment you've been living for the past two years and put "how it should work" into perspective. I think it's a great opportunity.

As to the aspects of safety, well, it sounds quite non-controversial on the face of it. It's not likely to attract much attention from anyone not involved in it directly and not very likely to be targeted. :confused3 Then again, how can you know? How safe is safe enough? Your nation is in the midst of troubled times and honestly, I don't know how I would feel or what I would do. :flower3:

I went to a youth leadership camp when I was in my early teens and it was an incredible experience. That, along with a weeklong trip to D.C. sponsored by the U.S. Institute of Peace, even had me convinced briefly to consider a career in politics (not as a candidate, but behind-the-scenes). So if one of my kids had the opportunity to do something similar, I'd very much want them to do so. But I would be nervous about it. The weekend event I went to was sponsored by our then-Congressman, although it was non-partisan in content and atmosphere, and these days I'd be afraid something like that could be a target. But I'm good at keeping worries like that to myself in order to encourage my kids to have great experiences when they have the opportunity, so I'd remind myself how irrational the fear is, take a deep breath, and sign them up anyway.

Jess
I go to work everyday people are nice, polite and kind. Everywhere I go the... store, WDW, DCL church, gas station etc..people are for the most part kind to each other no one talks about politics. Don't let the divisiness the media likes to create influence your kids education. The media likes to dramatize the people on the fringe, but that's not most Amercians. 99% of people are good..always keep that in mind. I watch the news at night and you'd think we were all at war with each, but I don't see it. Like other posters have said domestic terroissm is extremely rare.

Last edited:
I am a worrier.

Now that I have kids married and living in a big city and off at college and have no idea what they are doing most of the time, I've had to learn to let go and not worry so much. If I thought about everything that could happen, I'd be curled up in a ball and never doing anything.

Your tweens will be fine for one day. Chances are very slim of anything happening.

What specifically is worrying you?

Is it that someone physical would happen to them while they're there?

Is it that you think someone will bring up something not related to the actual creating of what sounds like a mock government?

FWIW I think this would be a great opportunity for them. I actually still remember when I was in middle school going to this place called Exchange City where you were assigned jobs, "paid" in specific intervals throughout the day, had the opportunity to buy things even though you were using fake money, etc. It was a pretty cool real life feel atmosphere. I also remember in school when we did a mock election for the Bush/Al Gore election where we voted for who we wanted after learning brief but key components of each candidate. Wonder if they still show Schoolhouse Rock! in schools? That would be a cool way to actually do what you saw on a video (assuming your kids watched the school especially the "I'm Just a Bill" episode.)

My concern is strictly safety...

My kids have all watched Schoolhouse Rock at school (and we sing the songs at home now and then too...they’re fun).

What specifically is worrying you?

Is it that someone physical would happen to them while they're there?

Is it that you think someone will bring up something not related to the actual creating of what sounds like a mock government?

FWIW I think this would be a great opportunity for them. I actually still remember when I was in middle school going to this place called Exchange City where you were assigned jobs, "paid" in specific intervals throughout the day, had the opportunity to buy things even though you were using fake money, etc. It was a pretty cool real life feel atmosphere. I also remember in school when we did a mock election for the Bush/Al Gore election where we voted for who we wanted after learning brief but key components of each candidate. Wonder if they still show Schoolhouse Rock! in schools? That would be a cool way to actually do what you saw on a video (assuming your kids watched the school especially the "I'm Just a Bill" episode.)

My concern is strictly safety...

My kids have all watched Schoolhouse Rock at school (and we sing the songs at home now and then too...they’re fun).
I gotcha. I do get your concern. Maybe reach out to the camp and discuss if they at least have plans in place for some what ifs out there in regards to that type of safety you're thinking about. Maybe that could alleviate some of your concerns. If it were me I would still send them. IMO it still seems fairly low risk but that's still just my opinion.

If you watch the news, there are no safe public places. Schools. Places of worship. Grocery stores. Concerts. Movie theaters. Shopping malls.

But I have always believed that we - as Americans - are braver than any fears that might discourage others. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be aware of our surroundings. That's a given. Pay attention. But a generic event like this which is not connected to a specific political group, media targeted group, etc. - I think you're okay.

We are Americans. We do not cower at shadows.

IMHO, you have to live your life, your kids have to live their lives. I can relate to your concerns, my daughter went off for a year to college in England. My personal experience with England was metal detectors and baggage searches at every hotel I stayed at due to concerns about explosives. And the Hilton I stayed at in London DID have a bomb explode in their lobby the year before I was there.

However, I am of the mindset that our time here is set when we are born, so I'm not going skydiving, but otherwise I am not going to let concerns shape my decisions.

I would send her. We cannot live in fear. We cannot let tragedies outweigh all the other things in the world. Should we not go to the movies, to the malls? Should we start homeschooling our children and keep them home when we can? If we do what kind of life is that. Millions of children go to school every day and come home just fine. Millions of kids go to summer camp and come home fine. Yes, there have been instances where there have been tragedies but they are far outweighed by normal experiences.

It sounds like an awesome camp and I bet your kids will learn so much and have a blast. I can understand your anxiety. I think a lot of people can relate. I just think it's important to not let your fears hold your kids back from experiences. Maybe call the camp and express your concerns? Is it possible that you stay the day of the camp and hang around? If you still aren't comfortable with them going maybe you could get some classmates together and run the activity yourself. I know it won't be the same but it could still be fun and educational.

Whatever your choice is it will be the right one.

Jess

Sounds like a great civics class.

My youngest went to college for 2 weeks, stayed in a dorm, etc. to take classes offered to kids that qualified in middle school.

I can say that it really help her define what she wanted to do in college.

I would check out classes in your area and out of area for colleges that do summer programs.

I would say encourage learning and getting out there. I understand being worried, I don't blame you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter