I'm bummed, need advice.

rascalmom

<font color=purple>Business trips should include a
I broke my ankle back in October. Had to wear a boot brace for six weeks and then a soft brace for 3 more weeks. I have still been having pain after all these months and went back to the doctor today. I have to go back in the boot brace for at least 4 more weeks and am going have to use a bone stimulation device (not sure what it is - they are going to contact me next week) for 30 minutes each day. The brace is quite heavy and uncomfortable and really worsens my back problems.

We leave for WDW a week from tomorrow. I knew just from the discomfort I've been having that we would be having a slower paced trip this time - but I just don't know how I'm going to manage with the brace on. I've used the park ECV's on occassion when my back has been bad, but never for more that a day or two.

I don't know whether to rent an offsite ECV (we resort hop alot because we love all the wonderful restaurants) or try to manage with the park units. I have a rental car booked - we prefer to drive to the parks, but now I don't know if that is going to work. We are staying at WL - now I REALLY wish I had booked us at a monorail resort. Yuck!

rascalmom said:
and am going have to use a bone stimulation device (not sure what it is - they are going to contact me next week) for 30 minutes each day.
Bone stimulators send low levels of electric current or ultrasound into the area by the bones to stimulate new bone to grow. They are often used by athletes who are trying to heal injuries faster than they would heal naturally. I've seen them used in patients who had bones that just would not heal (at least I've read about them in charts, since I don't do direct patient care). If you need to use the bone stimulator during the time you plan to be at the park, you can store it at First Aid and use one of the rooms in First Aid to do your treament.
I don't know whether to rent an offsite ECV (we resort hop alot because we love all the wonderful restaurants) or try to manage with the park units. I have a rental car booked - we prefer to drive to the parks, but now I don't know if that is going to work. We are staying at WL - now I REALLY wish I had booked us at a monorail resort. Yuck!
I think you should rent from off-site. The places that DIS posters have had good experiences with are listed in the disABILITIES FAQs thead near the top of the board.
Since you like to park hop, if you are renting from off-site, you won't have to worry about whether or not an ecv is available when you do hop. Besides that, you won't have to worry about trying to walk from where ever the transportation in one park lets you off to the place where you can rent a wheelchair/ecv.
If you have someone who can lift the ecv, you can put it into a car trunk. Just mentione when you rent that you want to be able to transport it by car. Cheshire Figment has a lot of info about how to get an ecv into a car and will probably post that information for you soon.

Cheshire Figment has a lot of info about how to get an ecv into a car and will probably post that information for you soon.
SueM is losing her touch. If you look at the disABILITIES FAQ you will see that post #5 is a complete set of instructions about transporting an ECV. I have also found an alternate which works for some smaller trunks of putting the body sideways in the front of the trunk, the two battery packs on one side behind the wheel, the motor on the other side and the seat in the middle.

Cheshire Figment said:
SueM is losing her touch. If you look at the disABILITIES FAQ you will see that post #5 is a complete set of instructions about transporting an ECV.
No, I knew it was there, but I needed to leave you something to do. ;)

SueM in MN said:
No, I knew it was there, but I needed to leave you something to do. ;)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

We all like to feel needed!!!

Good luck with your trip - despite everything remember where you are. You will find happiness!

GEt the offsite ECV and forget the car. Just hop the bus. It really isn't all that bad. Been there, done that and survived!
Btw the ankle still gives me fits at times especially when the waether changes. Guess I have too much metal in me.

I broke both my tib and fib over the summer so I can literally feel your pain. I did get lucky in healing since they just went in and put the rod and screws, making the healing very quick. Check the height of your shoes versus the brace. I had the darth vader-esque brace that was equivalent to wearing a heel on one foot. To try to keep balanced, I found a pair of sneakers that were close to the same height. That did help keep my back and hips a little straighter.

I managed to do mine 10 days before my trip so I was further behind in the healing process than you are. I rented a wheelchair and took the busses. It was quite easy and quick to transfer in and out. The rental car was just too tough to manage to fiddle with the wc when you want to get in and out of the car.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Talked to dh when he got home & we are definitely going to go with the scooter rental. How heavy are the rental scooters? When my dad went with us a few years ago, dh & he just lifted his ECV in & out of their van. If we upgraded to a minivan instead of a car, could dd's & dh lift it with out all of the re-assembly?

We've gotten so spoiled to not using the busses & being able to go where we want, when we want.

Why on earth would you want to take the bone stimulator unit with you to use in the parks? Its only for 1/2 hour per day. I used one, it was an Orthologic unit. Although not heavy, its just one more thing to lug around with you. Unless some people like making as much of an issue of their disability as they can and thus turn themselves into a public display. Personally, I would postone the Disney trip until the leg was healed. You're only going to aggravate it and further delay healing, not to mention being i pain much of the trip. Contrary to popular opinion, an ECV isn't a magic carpet ride!

BTW, I've had about 30 surgeries on my feet. I've found I always heal much faster when taking vitamins and calcium supplements. Doctors never tell you that. You need at least 1000 mg vit c per day, 1500 mg calcium, and 400 units (?) vitD (don't overdo the Vit D) Believe me, it really does make a difference--try it!

rascalmom said:
Thanks everyone for your advice. Talked to dh when he got home & we are definitely going to go with the scooter rental. How heavy are the rental scooters? When my dad went with us a few years ago, dh & he just lifted his ECV in & out of their van. If we upgraded to a minivan instead of a car, could dd's & dh lift it with out all of the re-assembly?
The total weight of most of the rentals is about 125 pounds. The two battery packs are 24 pounds each, the motor/rear wheel assembly is 39, the main body is about 30 and the seat is about 10. Even if you rent a minivan and there is room, it would be very difficult to get it up over the edge of the van and even harder leaning over to lift it to get it out.

If you want a car or van to go places other then WDW why not bring a folding manual chair with you to do that. But as far as going to WDW use their transportation with the scooter. You will be dropped off right at the entrance with the bus unlike the long walk from the MK parking lot to the monorail and then up the big hill.

vhoffman said:
Why on earth would you want to take the bone stimulator unit with you to use in the parks? Its only for 1/2 hour per day. I used one, it was an Orthologic unit. Although not heavy, its just one more thing to lug around with you. Unless some people like making as much of an issue of their disability as they can and thus turn themselves into a public display. Personally, I would postone the Disney trip until the leg was healed. You're only going to aggravate it and further delay healing, not to mention being i pain much of the trip. Contrary to popular opinion, an ECV isn't a magic carpet ride!

I never said I would be taking the bone stimulator to the parks, just having to take it along on the plane to use in the hotel room. I was "worked in" to the doctor's schedule on Thursday & they did not have a unit at the office to check out to me - so I have not seen how large it is yet. I was merely concerned about getting it to Disney NOT "making as much of an issue of their disability as they can and thus turn themselves into a public display."

Not sure where you got that idea!

"Personally, I would postone the Disney trip until the leg was healed. You're only going to aggravate it and further delay healing, not to mention being i pain much of the trip."

My doctor said there was no reason for me to change my plans. Airfare is already purchased & this is the only time my kids are out of school until summer.

"Contrary to popular opinion, an ECV isn't a magic carpet ride!"

I know it is not - that is why I posted my concerns and questions.

Thanks everyone, for being so helpful. Now that I know the ECV's weigh over 100 pounds, those buses are looking much better. Thanks for the info!

Actually, it was Sue M's post that I was referring to when I siad I didn't see why you'd want to take the bone stimulator unit into the partk with you. If it was anything like the one I used, its set on a 24 hour clock, so you can't "overdose" yourself. Just make sure to start at a time you can be consistent with, preferably evening or early morning. Once the thing is set, you can't re-program it. I really do thin it would be ridiculous to lug that thing around and spend precious park time sitting in the nurse's station getting "zapped". Didn't mean to imply it was your idea that I found ridiculous, but rather her's. Have a nice trip--and do consider my advice about the vitamins. It really does speed healing. Good Luck!

Unfortunately I am allergic to calcium supplements - which may be part of the problem in the first place. I am probably deficient. I am upping my dietary intake as much as I can. I'm really glad chocolate milk counts!

vhoffman said:
Actually, it was Sue M's post that I was referring to when I siad I didn't see why you'd want to take the bone stimulator unit into the partk with you......... Didn't mean to imply it was your idea that I found ridiculous, but rather her's. Have a nice trip--and do consider my advice about the vitamins. It really does speed healing. Good Luck!
I mentioned it because there are people who have more than 1 half hour treatment. Since the OP had not been given the bone stimulator yet, I offered the information about storing it in First Aid in case her schedule would make it hard to do the treatment otherwise. Although I would not want to lug something like that along to a park, there are situations where someone may want to/need to bring some equipment into the parks. And because of their medical needs, so guests to WDW have no choice but to spend some of their park time in First Aid.

All information that people share here is in an attempt to be helpful. It is OK to disagree, but with facts, not name calling or labeling.

Sorry to hear your not healing. I do know how you feel. If your stimulator is like mine was, it shouldn't be that big. I had to wear mine for several hours a day for a few months. (I used it while on vacation in Myrtle Beach for two weeks) I also had an internal stimulator implanted. Unfortunately, neither helped for me in the healing process. My doctor also had me take calcium.

Good Luck and have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter