• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm b a c k . . . . . . . . . .

CindyZ

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone,
I'm back from a week + a day in shark invested Florida! We did 2 nights and 3 days at US/IOA, and stayed at the Hard Rock HOtel and the Radisson twin towers till our flight left for 2 nights.

Great...and tiring vacation...still have suitcased to unpack, laundry to do...etc.

Had a great time, and I look forward to putting up a trip report soon, so I can relive the experience! I am looking forward to posting answers to questions on this board, rather than just answering them!!

Ask away.....

Make that shark inFested Florida...LOL

I really don't think that the Florida tourisim board would consider inVesting in sharks...do you?...OK, so I was tired!!

By the way...I was in Daytona...in the water...the day those surfers were bit. I was about a mile (give or take) north of the area they were surfing....went home...and watched the news. Then the news anchor announced that the surfing contest was moved south down the beach..and we wondered..."Hmmm does that mean they expected the sharks to go north?" Gee...that was comforting! And guess what...DID NOT go in the water on my last day there.......just enjoyed it from the peer. And that same day a girl was "taken down" and bit by an alligator on her arm (she survived). Ahhhh....just wanted to get to Orlando and take on Hulk, Spiderman, Dr. Doom instead!!

I was sooo worried about the sharks...just kept scanning the water, but it was murky (sharks love churned up murky water!). My kids had a grand time in the water....I was a nervous nelly.

What is UP with the sharks this year?.....are they really around more...or is it just the media since that poor boy was bit last month?....

Wecome back from your trip, Cindy! Can't wait to read your trip reports:)

Welcome back! Looking forward to you tr! I'm glad the water up here is too cold for the sharks, of course it's too cold for humans too:rolleyes:

Can't wait to hear about your trip. Am especially interested in the portion you spent at the Radisson Twin Towers since we'll be there for three nights next weekend. Yeah! :D

Just in case I don't get to my trip report soon enough...I'll give you a little bit about my time at the Twin Towers.

Originally I was supposed to go back to Daytona Beach after my stay in Orlando at the HRH for 2 nights, and 3 days at the parks. However; My Aunt had a change of plans and was going to St. Augustine on the days we'd be going back to see her. So I had to find a hotel for 2 nights before our plane left...but that just wasn't set in the budget. I looked around on these boards, and in a coupon book my sister gave to me for a reasonably priced hotel. Couldn't find anything "cheap" that didn't have some kind of bad review. I could have taken small.....but had to be CLEAN!!

So, I got a link from these boards for a site that helped with Priceline deal making. After doing some homework, I decided to bid on a 3 star hotel, and figured I'd get the Radisson Twin Towers (as many had). I thought I might get it for 30/night, but went in and bid $25/night just for fun at first. And guess what...I GOT IT!! I was very happy with that deal! :D :D

So, after our stay at the Hard Rock, and after we closed down IOA at 8 pm and lingered about City Walk for quite awhile (sittin' in those chairs at Margarittaville :) ), we got into our car at the HRH parking lot and headed over to the Radisson. (after a bit trying to figure out how to get out of the gate). It took all of 4 minutes to drive over to the towers. I was nervous that for some reason the Priceline wouldn't work....so I did not unload my luggage first, didn't want to jinx myself. But it did; and I just confirmed with them that it was 25/night. They just wanted a copy of my credit card for incidentals. So, we unloaded our car and I sent up my friend and my kids to the room while I parked the car. However, when I got into the room on the 14th floor (we did want to be up high for the view). I could right away smell cigarette smoke. I just walked in the room and knew that the room had either at one time been a smoking room, or that someone had smoked in there. No one else seemed to notice it, so I thought maybe it was in my head...but it wasn't. I started getting a scratchy throat, and my eyes were starting to bug me. (My kids referred to me as the "smoke detector", upon which I took a mental note that this talent may come in handy as they proceed through their teenage years). So I had to move. But we liked the size of the room, and didn't want to go to a lower floor...but oh well.

So, I called the front desk, and explained my problem. They responded by saying that it was a whole non-smoking floor, but that it was very possible that someone had smoked in the room. So I said, OK, but we want a high view still, and wanted to make sure that we had the same size room, and she said, "well I could give you a larger room if you like"...and I said..."um...OK".....

I decided that I wanted to check out the room first, and make sure it didn't have the same smell (wanted to confirm that it wasn't all in my head). So I went down to the desk and got a room key and proceeded to room 1216. Opened the door, and immediately smelled the difference...ahhhh NO SMOKE SMELL!!. But then a most wondorous thing.....When we flicked on the lights...there was a full size pull out couch...and the room was atleast 8 feet longer if not more. YEAH YEAH YEAH!!

So I went down and said that the room was better, but wanted to know if I'd get charged more...and the very nice lady said "NO".

So I got a little "suite" for 25/night at the Radisson Twin Towers. With the 5 of us...it was so very nice to have the extra room and extra sleep space.

The pool was open till midnight....and the weather was perfect so we all went for a swim! There is a nice little courtyard area and a TCBY, KRISPY KREME, AND sandwhiches (I think) down in the courtyard area. There is a bar there with Kareoke(sp?). There is also a restaurant that we did not eat at. I did however attempt to get the special Krispy Kreme donuts (the ones with the with creamy frosting like filling)...but they didn't have that kind. The regular ones were 75cents each! ug. There is also a shuttle to the parks, but it may be faster to walk, as the Radisson is picked up first and then it goes to 4 or 5 other hotels in the area before dropping you off at the Park area. (we took it to City Walk on our last day....it was interesting to see that part of the parks as we had either walked over from HRH or took the water taxi...big difference..didn't know how good we had had it!). But it's worth it to take the shuttle back because you are dropped off first.

My room was clean and spacious. And the best bargain for travel that I have ever had! The hotel staff was kind and courteous. Our bell hop upon initial arrival took our cooler and filled it with ice for us, and then filled our bucket with ice too! (he was tipped well ;) ). It was a great experience. Hope you have a great time.

Sorry so long....I'm still chatty, and the details are still fresh in my mind...so I shared it ALL!!

Thank you so much for all the details! Hopefully we won't have any similar problems with a smokey-smelling room, but it was good to know they were so responsive. :)

CindyZ,

Did you post a room review on biddingfortravel.com also? After reading their website and noticing your great rate, I bid and I am also staying at the Radisson Twin Towers next month. I am sooooo excited and will definitely use your tip about using the shuttle for returning since we will get dropped off first. Is the distance from the hotel to Universal too far to walk? I figured we would walk there in the morning rather than take the rental car and pay for parking.

Trips always have "unexpected" things. It's something not often thought about before the trip, but you read about it in trip reports.

Believe it or not, I'm always on edge when doing a trip because I have to plan everything and make sure it all works. The kid and wife don't realize how much planning I put into it. Recently they went to Ft. Lauderdale beach on their own for 1 night and had a bunch of "unexpected" things come up. The daughter remarked to my mom how prepared I am on our trips.

Yeah, looking forward to your trip report. If you make a web page, they can take an entire day to write. So don't worry about rushing to get us the information. We'll read it when you have the time to write a full trip report. I spent an entire Saturday doing my DC trip report.

I dunno, I seem to think you invited extra people and they complicated everything. To me, the more people you invite, the more complicated everything becomes. When you include others, they change your plans and make it their trip. Best thing to do is just keep your trips to as few people as possible.

Think of it as a learning experience.

Incredible experience, Cindy!

I'm so glad you had a great time. The Radisson is a wonderful hotel and you DID get a great deal. Welcome back! :wave:

I do plan on doing a room review on bidding for travel.

And, robvia, I'm not sure what you mean about inviting extra people??? I myself have 3 kids and I can't leave any of them behind, and my DH could not take a vacation right now, so my greatest, bestest friend came with me instead. If it wasn't for her I wouldn't have felt comfortable with the kids on my own. So I'm not sure what you meant.

but...I do agree with you, I try to plan for most situations, but I'm open to deal with "extra" things as they come along. But, I love the prepared feeling!!

Just to let you know, the Walgreens right next to the Raddison has Krispy Kremes. Glad you had so much fun.

Please tell us how and where to bid for great deals. I need one extra night in November (con't get E-rate on Saturday).

Thanks,

Kay1,

NOW you tell me!! LOL

We were sooo looking forward to 1 (yes just one ;) ) decadent Krispy Kreme.....does the Walgreens have the one with the white frosting type kreme in them?.....or just some regular donuts?

I'll have to go on back down there I guess!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter