I'm an emotional wreck

What is fun about this? I came here for a little sympathy and all I get is hostility.

I made the change in medication with the knowledge and support of my psychiatrist. Obviously it's not working. He did say that if I wanted, I could regress the decision. My question was: do I stick it out or do I reverse the decision and start taking more again?

If this is for real - contact your Dr. and follow his/her advice! Don't mess with your own mind - or anyone elses!!

What is fun about this? I came here for a little sympathy and all I get is hostility.

I made the change in medication with the knowledge and support of my psychiatrist. Obviously it's not working. He did say that if I wanted, I could regress the decision. My question was: do I stick it out or do I reverse the decision and start taking more again?
I think you need to call a doctor now or possibly stop in to the local emergency room.

Kind of long...

Posting as a sock puppet (believe it or not!)

I am on a LOT of medication. Very high dose of the most powerful antipsychotic available. Maximum dose of the most powerful antidepressant available. Very high dosage of a powerful mood stabiliser. Additional doses of a major tranquiliser and a sedative.

I suffer from paranoid delusional schizophrenia and co-morbid depression.

Basically a trainwreck.

Up until now I've been getting along fine. I was very, VERY sleepy (all but one of my meds are sedating) but symptom wise, I've been stable and a-ok :)

I've made the bold move of reducing medication. I am on 2mg of Trifluoperazine per day and have gone down to 3mg every two days - a TINY amount, especially given everything else I take.

But I'm so weepy and emotional!

I can't even watch Illuminations: Reflections of Earth without crying!

So... straw poll... should I stick with the reductions for now hoping to stabilise or do I revert? I see my doctor in 11 days any old how.

Sorry for the rant.

I think you need to consult your doctor, not the DIS.

Well, I'll give you my two cents. First, good for you for openly discussing the reduction with you doctor FIRST and not just experimenting. I'm wondering if the weeping/emotional part is your body adjusting and sorting out the new body chemistry and it will eventually sort itself out? I recall when I took hormone replacement therapy, I tried to reduce and get off for four years. I finally did. Something time is your friend.

Bless you and I do hope you are able to come to a good place with this.

You've posted several times concerning your mental status saying you're using an alias not to be found and most of your posts are very similar over the last 5 years.........so that might be why some of our posters are concerned/confused. Just sayin'............??? :hug:

Kind of long...

Posting as a sock puppet (believe it or not!)

I am on a LOT of medication. Very high dose of the most powerful antipsychotic available. Maximum dose of the most powerful antidepressant available. Very high dosage of a powerful mood stabiliser. Additional doses of a major tranquiliser and a sedative.

I suffer from paranoid delusional schizophrenia and co-morbid depression.

Basically a trainwreck.

Up until now I've been getting along fine. I was very, VERY sleepy (all but one of my meds are sedating) but symptom wise, I've been stable and a-ok :)

I've made the bold move of reducing medication. I am on 2mg of Trifluoperazine per day and have gone down to 3mg every two days - a TINY amount, especially given everything else I take.

But I'm so weepy and emotional!

I can't even watch Illuminations: Reflections of Earth without crying!

So... straw poll... should I stick with the reductions for now hoping to stabilise or do I revert? I see my doctor in 11 days any old how.

Sorry for the rant.

Random thoughts I have in no particular order:
  1. I'm not a medical professional, so take my input with a grain of salt.
  2. BUT I had to take psychiatric medication when dealing with postpartum depression.
  3. I also know from reading about it AND from personal experience that changing psychiatric medications can cause side effects.
  4. For example: I was on a low dose antidepressant and was well enough that I got the go ahead from my psychiatrist to stop taking the medication. All he said was "You might feel a little lousy for a few days." Let me tell you...that was an understatement. I felt nauseous, body aches, feverish, crying all the time. It was awful. I started taking the med again and the symptoms disappeared. I basically was going through withdrawal of the antidepressant. Some antidepressants have that effect.yo
  5. In my case, with the doctor's ok, I weaned myself off of it slowly. So instead of, I don't know, 10 mg daily, I dropped down to 5 mg for 2 weeks. Then I went down to 2.5 mg/day for 2 weeks and so on. That helped a lot.
  6. If you are going to drop your daily dosage, you should definitely discuss it with the psychiatrist first. And then consider keeping a daily log of your symptoms...how you are feeling...so you can better keep track of your symptoms, side effects, etc.
  7. Even though dropping from 2 mg/day to 3 mg every 2 days might not seem like a big deal, it could be a big enough thing that your brain chemistry hasn't been able to keep up with it yet. How many days ago did you make this dosage change?
  8. I think that you should call your psychiatrist and ask him or her what the side effects are of weaning off of Trifluoperazine. Tell your doctor how you're feeling and ask his/her advice. Was there a reason why your doctor suggested to wean off of that particular med?
  9. Are you also weaning dosages down of other meds as well, then that could be making the situation more challenging and could be contributing to your mood swings.
By the way, I usually can't watch a Disneyland or WDW fireworks show with getting weepy. Even when I've seen it a gazillion times, I cry. I see that as pretty normal. But if you're getting weepy over every little thing, then that would be something to be concerned about.

I also just wanted to say hang in there. I know it's rough. Your brain chemistry doesn't work the way other people's works. It's not your fault. I know that dealing with the revolving door of medications is really challenging. And it can be really frustrating because sometimes it can take awhile to find the right combination of medications that make you feel better. And unfortunately, some of those meds have negative side effects.

I think you need a second opinion altogether. Trifluperazine (Stelazine) is a very old medication and very rarely prescribed in the US. It is part of a drug class that is very rarely used (outside of the prison system) because of it's side effect profile. 2 mg, if you are not elderly, is, also, very likely, a subtherapeutic dose.

This drug class has a very serious side effect profile, including tardive dyskinesia, which is permanent. Like you, most patients are not compliant with this type of medication because of it's severe side effects.

There are many newer generation anti-psychotics which are very effective and do have the side effects and carry the risks of the type of medication you are taking now.

I think you need a second opinion altogether. Trifluperazine (Stelazine) is a very old medication and very rarely prescribed in the US. It is part of a drug class that is very rarely used (outside of the prison system) because of it's side effect profile. 2 mg, if you are not elderly, is, also, very likely, a subtherapeutic dose.

This drug class has a very serious side effect profile, including tardive dyskinesia, which is permanent. Like you, most patients are not compliant with this type of medication because of it's severe side effects.

There are many newer generation anti-psychotics which are very effective and do have the side effects and carry the risks of the type of medication you are taking now.
Given that the OP spells like a member of the Commonwealth, it's possible this med is in use wherever (s)he is.

Call your psych dr and ask him/her. Move up your appointment if you need to.

My sister has a similar diagnosis and she had to go inpatient this week because of a med reduction. It triggered a major psychosis. She also wanted to reduce her meds because they make her feel groggy/sleepy. I don't understand why feeling sleepy is such a terrible side effect if it keeps her stable.

I'm amazed at the posts I see on fb groups and discussion boards about medical issues. Call your Dr. If you're on meds like that, you should have access to your psychiatrist and not asking people on a Disney discussion board. If this is real.

I think this is a question you need to discuss with the doctor. The doctor can guide you and help you know if this added emotionality is more likely to be temporary as you wean off meidcation or permanent, or if a slower weaning process would help, etc. None of us can help you with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter