I'm an adult...may I post a question to you teens please?

dfchelbay

DIS Veteran
I know the heading of this group is for teens by teens...and I am long beyond years from being a teen. But, I wanted to ask teenagers to help me feel less disillusioned about...OMG, I'm gonna say it "kids today". I grew up respecting adults, doing what I'm supposed to do, working for the extra things I wanted. Not feeling entitled to whatever I wanted, just because I wanted it. Not doing something just because I didn't feel like it, or it was no fun for me. Being responsible for myself and my belongings, etc.

Do people in your age group still do this or feel this way anymore. Where I live they do not. Lot's of spoiled children, who appreciate nothing and are constantly disrespectful and just outright lazy. Won't get a job. Wait to be handed everything and expect to be handed everything.

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that outside of my little bubble where I live teenagers/young adults are not this way. Do you do chores, have a job, respect your belongings, not expect every little thing you want to be handed to you? Do you try to work over the summer, doing something...babysit, p/t job, mow lawns, etc.

I guess I just would like to feel a little more positive about this. Thanks all.

P.S. I'm not an ogre, just not connecting with this attitude about life. Thanks again young DISers.:thumbsup2

I don't actually have a job, as my school schedule would not allow it and there aren't a lot of job opportunities in my neighbourhood.

I do, however like to work for and earn money for the things I want. It just feels much more satisfying coming out of the store and knowing that I paid for each and every thing I got. Sometimes, I do ask for things such as iTunes cards but I usually buy them myself. If I don't buy it myself, I usually just ask for them from Christmas or my birthday.

So to answer your question in short form, yes, at least one teenager here does feel that way.

I have a stigma against adults. Being a member of the Peter Pan Generation, I dont think its right to be "restricted" from adult hood.

My attitude is that older generations judged people by their race, their belief, or the color of their skin, yet they still think its okay to have think down upon teenagers.They think that all teens are drunken dope addicts and glue sniffers.

I have a stigma against adults. Being a member of the Peter Pan Generation, I dont think its right to be "restricted" from adult hood.

My attitude is that older generations judged people by their race, their belief, or the color of their skin, yet they still think its okay to have think down upon teenagers.They think that all teens are drunken dope addicts and glue sniffers.

I have judged those by their actions. In my post I was asking whether what I am seeing going on around me is what is going on everywhere, or just here where I live. Never mentioned race, skin color, their beliefs, etc. I asked a question in direct response to what I am witnessing.

You're entitled to feel the way you feel about adults. But, aren't you doing the exact thing you don't like adult to do to you and others your age?

OMG YOU ARE SUCH AN OGRE!!! :rotfl: No no, Im just kidding! :goodvibes

Well I have to agree with you to an extent about the 'kids today.' In the small village I live there are some kids who are like you described, disrespecting adults and expecting something for doing nothing. However, I would say that 70% or more of the teens in my college and village are not like that, mainly because they know better then to act that way or just never knew any different.

As for your questions, I do not have a job but I am going to college and taking three classes (four would be a full course and I learned last semester that taking four was a big overload for me.) My mom is paying for my full college education because I could not get financial aid so I make it a priority for myself to get A's to repay her for that. Over the summer I am taking a 4 credit college class and may possibly be doing volunteer work until Fall comes.

I also still have to do chores and stuff as long as I am living under my moms roof- cleaning my room, vaccuming, and what not.

As for respecting my belonging, I try not to make it a habit of throwing my stereo and mattress out the window. ;)

Hope that answers your questions! ^^

I think wherever you go, whatever century you're in.. not every single teenager is going to be the perfect little "yes ma'am" "nosir" kind of person. today, especially in the UK I feel, we are constantly bombarded with images, headlines and stories of the youth run riot and the disrespect that a small number of teenagers do have. However, I think to every badmouthing kid who's out roaming and causing havoc everywhere, there's a teenager helping out at home or studying to get good grades. It's vital that we don't forget those kids, because at the rate we're at, every single teenager is being given a bad name just because of their age. I know of many shops, for example, who won't let in more than 2 teenagers at a time..
But anyway, moving on. I myself do not have a job. I'm 15 and most places in my area downright refuse to employ anyone under 16, unless for example you work in a small cafe or corner shop where you may have connections or family ties. Despite this, I do hold the equivalent to a yard sale (what we call a 'car boot sale') where I go to a local car park every weekend and sell. On some occasions I've made around £200 for 5 or 6 hours of selling. That, in my opinion, is worth getting up at ridiculous times in the morning. ;)
With that money then, I'm able to save and buy as I wish. The items that I choose to purchase then, I feel responsible and proud that it's all mine. No owing, no debts, just mine. So, I think anyone would feel a sense of responsibility toward something that they own 100%, purchased with their own money.
Back to my situation, I may have an opportunity to get paid for doing something I'm passionate about in the near future. I'm an avid writer and a few months ago took a big step (with much built up courage) and wrote to an online music website asking if it were possible for me to write for them. After sending examples of my work, they accepted me. I've since been told that after they review their budget in a few months time, I may be entitled to earn some money. It may not be much, but it'll be something. Regardless, I'll carry on as it's something I enjoy and hopefully this experience will be helpful in my future.
As for teenagers wanting to be handed everything, or being spoiled, well I believe that that is mostly to do with their upbringing. You can't pinpoint an individual's characteristics down to a point where you criticise a whole generation because not only is it unfair but also unrealistic. That's like saying "A 30 year old man on my street likes cheese. Every 30 year old man likes cheese." Chores on the other hand, I think they're a good preparation for young people and also give a sense of belonging in a family environment and a sense of accomplishment having finished them!
I've probably gone on long enough now. Thanks for bringing this to the TB, I'm sure many other teen DISers will enjoy sharing their opinions on this and I hope you get a better understanding afterwards! :wizard:

Where I live, the teenagers that are 'bad eggs' come from generations of welfare-sucking parents who get pregnant, marry young, and learn how to take advantage of government handouts for the rest of their lives. There's also a wannabe gang, but it's not even close to the real thing. However, I am not like that at all. I strive for straight A's, if not A+'s, and I believe that a work ethic is the greatest gift a young person can have. I plan on going to college and making something of myself. So, there are bright young people out there, but the media chooses not to focus on them, bringing forward the stereotype of the lazy, disrespectful teenager. There is good out there. :)

I honestly think it depends on the teen. I know that I heave always tried to respect everyone and treat others like they would like to be treated. My parents have drilled that into my head. :-) I feel that your home life has a huge effect on how you live your life outside of home. There are always those bad teens of every place you go. I do think that the media and technology has had an effect on the way the majority of teens act and what they are exposed to. I bet that we really are exposed to way more than adults alike now when they were teens. Hope this has helped ya! :-)

I know the heading of this group is for teens by teens...and I am long beyond years from being a teen. But, I wanted to ask teenagers to help me feel less disillusioned about...OMG, I'm gonna say it "kids today". I grew up respecting adults, doing what I'm supposed to do, working for the extra things I wanted. Not feeling entitled to whatever I wanted, just because I wanted it. Not doing something just because I didn't feel like it, or it was no fun for me. Being responsible for myself and my belongings, etc.

Do people in your age group still do this or feel this way anymore. Where I live they do not. Lot's of spoiled children, who appreciate nothing and are constantly disrespectful and just outright lazy. Won't get a job. Wait to be handed everything and expect to be handed everything.

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that outside of my little bubble where I live teenagers/young adults are not this way. Do you do chores, have a job, respect your belongings, not expect every little thing you want to be handed to you? Do you try to work over the summer, doing something...babysit, p/t job, mow lawns, etc.

I guess I just would like to feel a little more positive about this. Thanks all.

P.S. I'm not an ogre, just not connecting with this attitude about life. Thanks again young DISers.:thumbsup2

There are definitely a group of kids in my town who were taught the way you were. I am one of them. Both my parents grew up in disciplined families, my dad was the oldest brother in his large family and my mom was very independent and by the book, so they teach us in the same manner. I have chores and responsibilities, which I always do. I don't have a job since I'm at an age where I'm too young to get a paying job, but I can babysit and I babysit both my sisters. I also prefer to pay for my own stuff since it gives me a sense of independence and I can be responsible for myself and I don't like it when my parents or others spoil me unnecessarily, doesn't feel right. I am required to do community service to be able to graduate, so I generally do that a lot. I appreciate all and don't take anything for granted. My parents always tell me some kids don't have what I have so I never am unappreciative. I always respect adults and I know a large group that does and is very much the same as me in the other ways I've explained. I hope this reassures you :goodvibes

OP Here - I am so please with you all and your responses. It's good to know that the experiences I've had and seen where I live isn't the "way of the teen world". You all sound like you know what you're doing and where you are going in life and that makes me happy. For those of you that said you don't have a job because of your school schedules...school is your job. That's a job in and of itself. Keep up the good work teens.:thumbsup2

I'm proud of you guys.

I hate seeing all the people my age get everything handed to them.

I want something, like to go to a concert, I save my babysitting money to go. I babysit usually a couple times a week and I'm actively looking for a job.

I don't have a "job" but i earn money each month for taking out my neighbors trash for her since she has problems walking. So it is kind of my "job." I use this money to buy things for myself, and I do feel better doing that instead of having money given to me. Yes, I feel that a lot of teens lack motivation to work, but many, like some of my friends, are the opposite and feel the need to earn money.

So I guess it varies.

I have a strong belief that one must work for what they want/need. My parents don't buy me everything I want. In fact, most things I want are purchased by me from doing work and grades in school. I am sick of seeing kids get everything they want without lifting a finger. I just hope they realize that real-life won't be like that.

I don't have time for a job, I always have tons of homework.

I do have chores, though. I can't not do them, it's the only way I can cover my phone bill. Whatever I earn beyond the phone bill payment is mine to keep.

If I want something that isn't an immediate necessity, I either do without until Christmas or my birthday, or I have to work it off in chores. It makes sense, though. In the real world, I'll have to work for what I want, best to just get into that mindset now, especially since I'm turning 18 this year (yikes).

I do, however like to work for and earn money for the things I want. It just feels much more satisfying coming out of the store and knowing that I paid for each and every thing I got.

I hate seeing all the people my age get everything handed to them.

^I second these statements.

My parents never allowed behavior like that. Any allowance we ever got was earned doing chores and even then it wasn't a lot.
If I wanted to buy something that wasn't essential like clothing or something for school I had to earn the money myself.
As soon as I turned 16, a few days after my birthday actually, I got a job. Now I pay for everything myself even clothes. I'm even paying for college on my own.

Honestly it disgusts me the way most teenagers and even young children behave. Getting whatever you want is not a right, it's a privilege.

I respect adults and feel entitled to nothing and I have friends who are the same way.
So do not despair! There are a few of us left who aren't total ragamuffin scoundrels.

I have judged those by their actions. In my post I was asking whether what I am seeing going on around me is what is going on everywhere, or just here where I live. Never mentioned race, skin color, their beliefs, etc. I asked a question in direct response to what I am witnessing.

You're entitled to feel the way you feel about adults. But, aren't you doing the exact thing you don't like adult to do to you and others your age?

I need to see respect in order to give it.

Ive tried kindness, only to be taken advantage of.

ive seen alot of teens in my area getting whatever they want handed to them. part of it is i live in a place where there are alot of upper middle class and upper class families. but i still son't think its right. my mom is trying to help me get ready to live on my own so she usually only buys me food, clothes, school stuff and things like that. but things like video games, accesories, posters and things like that i have to buy on my own or wait until christmas or my birthday. for instance, im saving up for an Itouch. if i h ave enough money after my cruise and disney world, i'll get it. if not, i just hope i get it for christmas. she is also making me pay a portion of the money for my marching bands big hawaii trip. I don't have time for a job. especially during fall semester when i have marching band 4 days (sometimes 5) a week. and as far as respect goes, i demand respect to give respect. if i don't get respect, i don't give it. but im not a total jerk-face like some other teens are.
However, there are some adults that look down on us. they think all of us are just a bunch of sex crazed, drunk, crack heads that can't do anything for ourselves. i admit that there are teens like that but not all of us choose to be that stupid. there are some that disrespect their teachers, parents, etc. but alot of us just shake our heads at them in disaproval. so basically not all of us are that bad :)

It depends on the kid. I was always taught to respect adults and treat people how I would like to be treated. Even though I have never had a real job, I have volunteered my whole life and babysat. But its all about how you were raised by your parents.

As for respecting adults, I was raised on the idea that you should respect everyone, regardless of age, etc.

I caught on at an early age that good behavior led to benefits. Though now instead of pink Starbursts, I earn the trust and respect of people in charge of me.

A while back a bunch of my friends were becoming a fan of a Facebook page with a title along the lines of, "I don't care if you're my elder, if you don't respect me, I won't respect you."

I hate it when people my age do things like that. I wish they'd realize that someone has to be the bigger person if they're ever going to be treated how they want to be.

I think it is half and half.
Where I am you either respect everyone and are mature or your selfish and have no common sense. Sadly Where I am more and more are going into the childish state.
Me personally, I think that I am mature and know what is right and what is wrong
Though I do not have a job I wait and save for things. I will get a job when my school schedule allows it and when I can drive (only have a permit right know).

I think this applies to all age groups, not just teens.

I hope this helps you. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter