• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm a boomer, he's a boomer,

We're Boomers.......born in '52 and '54. Products of how our parents raised us with the help of society and geography. :thumbsup2 :hippie: :cheer2:

My parents were born just before the baby boom, but I do remember them using an electric knife for some things when I was a kid. I'm Gen X and I think we actually might own one that we never use. 🤔

My mom was born two days too to be a Boomer. She indignantly tells people she isn't one. :rolleyes: She never had an electric knife. When I got married someone gave us a very nice carving set we use every year.

I'm a boomer - I've always had an electric knife ever since I've had my own place. In fact, the same one (for over 20 years) until about 2 years ago. Then I got a new one. Basically just for carving turkey and/or hams for big family meals. But it's been use on occasion for other large meat carvings. I also have a carving set (2, in fact) that were my mother's.

DH and I are at the end of the boomer years, born in the early 60’s. So an electric knife is considered old-fashioned? Who knew? Yes I have one from my bridal shower, and use it fairly frequently for turkey and various other meats. And it works great to slice up a pineapple!

We also still have a landline phone (in addition to cell phones), and still get a printed newspaper delivered. And although we download new music, we enjoy playing our old record albums and CDs. Old habits are hard to break. ;)

Slice pineapple? Brilliance! It honestly never occurred to]] me to use it other than for "big meat," which only happens on holidays. I may start using it MORE, for the win!

I find all the generation definitions interesting, but the boomer hate just cracks me up. I like my knife and I will use it proudly! Admittedly, if I didn't have one it's not something I'd ever buy though. If falls in the category of a "luxury item." 😆

Last edited:

My Inlaws still have the one they got for a wedding present around 50 years ago. I haven't seen it in a while but they would proudly unveil it from it's original box & I was always astonished how they kept it in such great condition (I mean the box)... like seriously. This was their treasure and ALWAYS showed up for thin roast beef, it did a nice job.

Just found it, it's a GE from back when manufacturers weren't trying to fill the landfills with junk that breaks after a year, the good old days. Also found the single most common carving set ever, the Francis Howard LTD., Faux Stag Horn, nice.

Last edited:
I was born in 1948 and frankly it never even occurred to me to give a duck fart about what type of knife I used and also cannot understand why anyone else would think it strange. I don't have one now, but I used to have one when we had small kids and had holidays at our house, but it eventually wore out and I just never replaced it.

My husband enjoys that his mother (1946) and I (1964) are both Boomers but he’s (1965) Gen X. I feel more Gen X than Boomer. We do still have the electric knife that we received as a wedding gift, but the Gen X husband is the one who actually uses it most of the time.

I was born in ‘62 and never felt like a boomer. DH was born in ‘54. We have never owned an electric knife! My parents had one I think.

We're another boomer couple who has never owned an electric knife, but both sets of our parents did. We no longer have a land line, don't take a newspaper and my husband was a technical writer for computer companies. We are thoroughly boomers in many other ways, though, but don't care enough to take offense when we're made fun of about it. Oh, and I do text using my index finger. Old dog, new tricks, and all that. <-- Just saying that probably outs me as a boomer.

1956 and 1960. Every Thanksgiving I wish I had my mom's electric knife for that turkey, worked nicely on ham, too.
Anyone still have an electric frying pan? Loved mine (until someone submerged it, doing dishes); easiest way to make fried chicken or anything that needs reliable temperature control.
How about an electric percolator? My mom always made drip coffee, but my MIL used, and all DH's siblings STILL use, a stainless steel percolator to make coffee.

1956 and 1960. Every Thanksgiving I wish I had my mom's electric knife for that turkey, worked nicely on ham, too.
Anyone still have an electric frying pan? Loved mine (until someone submerged it, doing dishes); easiest way to make fried chicken or anything that needs reliable temperature control.
How about an electric percolator? My mom always made drip coffee, but my MIL used, and all DH's siblings STILL use, a stainless steel percolator to make coffee.
Yes, to the electric frying pan. I use it mainly to do grilled cheese sandwiches.

No to the percolator. No one in the family drinks coffee, so no need for one.

I've never been interested in an electric fry pan. I did take over possession of my mother's roaster though. I had to fight my brother for it!

It’s not electric, but I keep a small percolator on hand for when we lose power and can’t use the Keurig. Our gas stove works if we light it using a lighter. I just fill it up with water and coffee I keep in the freezer, and it’s so nice to be able to have a piping hot cup of real coffee when it’s cold and dark in the house! Funny thing, it appeared to be brand new, but I found it at a thrift store. One of my best finds ever, I think it only cost me a few bucks. :goodvibes

Slice pineapple? Brilliance! It honestly never occurred to]] me to use it other than for "big meat," which only happens on holidays. I may start using it MORE, for the win!

I find all the generation definitions interesting, but the boomer hate just cracks me up. I like my knife and I will use it proudly! Admittedly, if I didn't have one it's not something I'd ever buy though. If falls in the category of a "luxury item." 😆

Also works great if you're having a church dinner and need to slice up 20 loaves of italian bread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter