Ignoring work texts

I have been very fortunate that the projects that I work on have all valued PTO and time away. I get no calls or texts when I'm off or after 7pm or weekends. I'm on an intense project right now and time away is still valued. The Work-life balance is pretty good for the industry I am in and the type of company I work for. (Despite all of the nightmare stories you may hear.) I do work late to get things done and occasionally work a bit on the weekends but when I'm off, I'm off.

I am off today and tomorrow. My work phone and computer are both away and won't be looked at until Thursday, maybe tomorrow afternoon.

I am a good worker. I get things done. My time is my time and I wouldn't have responded to the text either, mainly because I wouldn't have gotten one.

Gosh, I honestly don't know. I've never gotten a text from work but I have gotten a few "hey, can you call me" voicemails while I've been on vacation.

If the text was specific like "Hey, we're looking for the file you worked on for XYZ project and we can't find it. Can you point us in the right direction?" or "We're looking for someone to pick up the shift from at 2-5pm. Can you do it?" I would probably send a quick answer back. However if it was a vague "Can you come in today?" or "Call me a.s.a.p." I might not reply right away.

I'll be honest and say that the two calls I've gotten on vacation that were "call me right away" (rather than SPECIFIC questions) were *both* "Um, I hate to tell you this but we are having layoffs today and we're supposed to tell everyone on the same day, so I'm sorry I had to call you on vacation, but you no longer have a job." (These were both massive layoffs of hundreds of employees at Fortune 500 companies). Sigh... I called back both times and it sure put a damper on the rest of my vacation... so I'm not sure I'd do it again. If you're going to lay me off, then yeah... that can wait.

The only time I answer work-related texts is if it is my boss or the other office person saying they are sick or running late or whatever. I have parents that will send me messages or ask questions (school secretary), and I answer them when I'm at work. I'm not on call and I don't get paid to deal with that stuff on my own time.

At another job I had, if they were looking to fill open shifts and you answered them, you could be mandated to come in. Those were phone calls, not texts, but everyone knew if you don't want to go in, don't answer the phone.

OP - why have you not answered the numerous questions regarding how do you know that the texts were ignored and just either not seen or not even received?

The OP seems offended that most people disagree with her, but I think this is a factor in many of the responses.

Sure, it would be polite to respond that you are unable to come in either of those days. That would make it easier for the boss to try to move on to the next person to try to find coverage. The employee is not required to respond, but I actually agree with the OP that it would be the nice thing to do if I saw the text and was able to quickly respond.

I think the issue many have brought up is why you would automatically jump to the conclusion that he's not busy and just purposely not replying. While many people today do seem attached to their phones 24/7, there are plenty who are not. I would very likely not see a text. I often leave my phone upstairs, in the car, or at home when I go out. I would be a bit offended if my coworkers believed I was rude and made assumptions about me because I didn't immediately respond to a text.

I'm guessing the mattress store had a 'big summer blowout' sale and underestimated the traffic it brought in.

I think this is on management of the retail store. Aren't they notorious for staffing to the minimum to keep costs down?

Is the worker working later this week or all weekend next? Will he be the one experiencing the store short handed then and need to call in the op? Will op answer a text then?

Not on call. But imo should have answered. We all text so we know he got it. I just think ignoring your boss is rude and unprofessional. But the guys had like 6 jobs in 4 years so it's not surprising

I don't know what kind of job this is. But, unless there was an agreement up front that he might be sent a text to come into work, then the text should not have been sent to him. How does someone get 6 jobs in 4 years? It always amazes me how people can't find jobs, and yet, someone, who is allegedly not a good worker, manages to job hop. Things need to be more fair.

Last edited:
I own my own business so I can't speak for myself but I will for my husband. He values his job and watches as they change how they rank and evaluate workers. He wants to be seen as valuable, and he is.

A couple of years back, they asked him to run a plant in another state for ten months. He drove home (five hours) every weekend. One Sunday, we were heading to a historic theater in a big city to attend a movie premiere and he got a text that there was a big fire at the plant. He instantly left to go to the plant to oversee the situation. I wasn't surprised. He sees his role as part of his identity and it doesn't end Friday at 5pm. Sometimes the boss might send an email on the weekend and ask for some data calculations. It becomes his priority. His name has never been on the chopping block and he gets big bonuses and big raises...every year.

He considers himself blessed to have the work.

I don't think this position is as "big" as running a plant. There is a difference between a job that is part of your identity and a job that is just to bring in cash. I mean, I would certainly hope that, because your husband is running a plant (sounds big ... sounds like a job that is also somewhat of a privilege), he understand the sense of responsibility to take ownership of his role, and be there for an emergency ... as he, indeed, was. That's very important. After all, he is getting big bonuses and a big raise every year. The majority of workers do not. So, the comparison here to this other position is ... to be blunt, but not trying to be rude ... is not working out.

Last edited:
Depends on your career aspirations, or how you want to be viewed in the event of downsizing.

I remember talking to someone once about a particular measurement that we were evaluated on. This was a good worker and a smart person that thought this particular measurement was silly and the tracking was a waste of time. While I didn't disagree with the sentiment, I told them that it's a tangible thing that they can point to. You have to play along. They easily could have met the metric if they wanted to. This person was eliminated when reductions came through, largely due to that measurement.

If this person doesn't care if they are the first to go in the event of staff reductions, then stand their ground and stick with no response on "my time". If they value their job, and want to viewed favorably, take two seconds and respond that they had plans for the day and can't change them. This assumes that the text was received and deliberately ignored.

I wonder if this metric impedes the work/life balance, even symbolically.

Not offended. Tried to answer every question but that only seems to bring up more questions. It's a moot point as the day is over. I was just curious as to what the consensus is here.

I suppose conditioning is probably a better term for it. And I agree that allowing people to be off and completely away from work is best over the long run. Still, if you're in a business where people are periodically asked to come into work during their off time, whether it's right or not, the people who volunteer to work extra shifts are going to be viewed better than those who regularly refuse to.

I'm not allowed to have my cell phone on me at work and answer personal texts or phone calls when I am on company time unless it is an emergency....they in turn do not get to expect me to respond to them when I am on personal time unless it is an emergency. Scheduling issues are not an emergency unless you work for a hospital or other type of first responder company. A mattress store does not fall in that category IMO.

Sorry if I missed it in the thread, but was the individual texted on a work phone or on their personal phone? My post that you quoted was assuming that the individual was texted by their boss on their personal phone, and did not reply. If it was a personal phone, I would highly doubt the individual did not look at it or see it, and therefore I would consider the lack of response to be discourteous. But if it was a work phone, then I could see how it would be entirely possible they didn't get the text on their day off, and therefore I would find the lack of response to be understandable and wouldn't have a problem with it.

I respectfully disagree. On my day off, with my personal phone, it is up to me if I look at or respond for text messages. A work phone? That may be a different story depending on the conditions that were in place when it was given to me.

My DH moves heavy equipment and his company has not given hom or his colleague a phone. They call him on hs personal phone throughout the day, and after hours if need be, (he refuses to text so they woudl be SOL if they sent him one) and while the calls make his job easier, it irks him a lot. He feels strongly that they should pay for a phne if they want him using one. He does not use it while driving, but between moves he is tied to it.

I have given my clients my personal cell phone number and have encouraged them to use it, either with text or call on my days off. They understand that I may not get teh text, or hear the call, but I prefer to keep on top of any issues they may have. It is entirely my choice, my employer backs me up either way.

I have been called on vacation by clients who were in a pickle, and I helped them. Had I chosen not to respond, I woudl expect that decision to be respected.

I think you misread the articles you posted. WhatsApp cannot tell you whether someone read your texts across any platform. In fact the article clearly says you need to be using an internet based app like WhatsApp or Messenger. If you send a message in Messenger to another person in Messenger, there will be a little checkmark under the message that the recipient has seen it. But there is no way WhatsApp or Messenger can tell you if someone has read a text sent outside of their own particular app.

If I send a text message with the standard built in texting application, there is no way WhatsApp can tell you if somebody has seen that text. It can't even tell you if somebody has read the message in Messenger. It can only tell you if someone has looked at a WhatsApp message.

WhatsApp is a messaging app, it is not a "see if someone received a text" app.

Not offended. Tried to answer every question but that only seems to bring up more questions. It's a moot point as the day is over. I was just curious as to what the consensus is here.

Now that the discussion is ongoing, would you mind answering a few question? I think that the circumstances make a difference, as you can see from the variety of responses that we have. Forgive me if I missed an answer upthread. Ironically, I was at work for part of this thread. LOL!

How are days scheduled at your job? I feel this is important because if the employer has a habit of underscheduling and then calling folks in if it seems that he needs more crew, I would also refuse to respond. My DH is furious right now because his employer, a new company from out of state bought his company out, has pulled this if the weather is iffy. You see, they have to pay an hour if the guys come in and then get sent home. They have been foolish though, because the weather was favorable, and then were surprised that after telling them no work tomorrow, they all dont jump at the opportunity to run in as soon as the call comes through.

My DH is the early guy because he needs to set up machines before the crews get there. The manager questioned his start time and told him and his coworker to come in at 7. 7????? Yep. Don't you know the phone is blaring at 6:30 in the morning. WHere are you??/ Holy smokes, we have crews standing around. They company saved 2 hours for him and his partner, but it cost them over $2500 in dead time while waiting for the two of them to get in and saddle up. One firm stand and they are back to their regular start time....no questions asked.
He is only going in after being told that there was no work becuase for him, every hour counts and he has decided to shave off two months for his final day.

I worked for companies tha thedged their bets and kept scheduled employees to bare minimum, but expected them to be available if the need arose. If this was the case for your coworker, I woudl not have answered that text either. I woudl not care if you knew I was home or not. If I had plans, even plans to have a nice lunch with my family, or movie day with the kids, or a card party with teh neighbors, I woudl nto change them. Next time put me on the schedule, pay the holiday and take your chances that there will be enough business to justify my pay.

With all due respect though you left out a lot of details to begin with and you seemed to have conflicting information provided.

From what I'm gathering it sounds like this:
~Your situation isn't an office type but is a retail type
~Likely being a mattress store there was a big sale for Memorial Day
~Either you got slammed or too many people called in thus your boss reached out to other employees to see if any would be willing to come in and work (which in retail can be very difficult for holidays and/or weekends)
~You answered the call for duty so to speak
~But are annoyed/irritated that another employee did not

I worked in retail from age 16 to age 22 and never did any of my bosses require me to explain why I wasn't able to work on my day off. If I didn't answer the call (as no boss I ever had texted) and didn't call back in they moved on and normally they would call a few people anyways to increase the odds of someone being able to come in. More or less first come first serve situation where the first person to say they'll come in would be able to (or few people if more than one was needed).

Does it get frustrating if one employee rarely or ever comes in on their day off when they were called? Sure but it wasn't really my business as to why. All I know is $$$ was important to me personally when I was working retail as a high school and then college student thus majority of the time if I was free I went into work. It was a double-edged sword because they knew I would come in so I was called most often.

BUT I still screened the heck out of retail work calls (i.e. let it go to voicemail to see what they wanted). Generally speaking I would call back if I was unable to work or didn't want to come into work but there were times that I wouldn't get the message until too late into the shift they wanted me to work to make it worth while. No boss actually came up to me on the next shift and was like "Mackenzie why didn't you answer my call to come in??"

I also worked at a company where you had 'on-call' shifts. You had a shift but you would call in an hour before that start time of the shift. If they needed you then you would come in but if they didn't then you were free. But you've already explained the guy wasn't 'on-call' at all.

I'd be interested in knowing if upper management at your nation-wide mattress company actually likes the fact that your manager text messages people to come in and in a group text environment where you can see people's responses or where you physically can see your boss and supervisor texting another employee (as I'm unsure how else you know he got the text and ignored it) versus calling people one on one. That to me regardless of being a laid back environment seems unprofessional in general even for a nation-wide mattress store and even if that manager/supervisor and the employees at that store say they are ok with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter