If you're still covid cautious and cruised recently, how did you feel?

chris168

Earning My Ears
I'm not trying to start any kind of debate about protocols and the like, I'm just wondering if others who are still cautious about covid (still wear masks in public places, for example) have cruised since the covid protocols onboard have been lifted and if you felt comfortable with the experience.

I haven't cruised yet (since 2019) but we sail in 33 days. I think I am going to feel fine with everything. Plus, yes masks aren't mandated anymore, you can still freely wear a mask if you choose too. And we always bring our own hand sanitizer (even pre-covid) to use especially after getting food from the buffets.

I haven't cruised yet (since 2019) but we sail in 33 days. I think I am going to feel fine with everything. Plus, yes masks aren't mandated anymore, you can still freely wear a mask if you choose too. And we always bring our own hand sanitizer (even pre-covid) to use especially after getting food from the buffets.

Thanks, yeah we'll definitely still wear our masks inside. We sail in a couple weeks and reading reports from those who have gotten off the ships recently has me a little unsure. Mostly for dining I guess as we haven't gone back to eating inside restaurants at home yet. I guess we'll see how it goes!

Thanks, yeah we'll definitely still wear our masks inside. We sail in a couple weeks and reading reports from those who have gotten off the ships recently has me a little unsure. Mostly for dining I guess as we haven't gone back to eating inside restaurants at home yet. I guess we'll see how it goes!
You do whatever makes you feel comfortable! While I am choosing not to wear a mask my teenage daughter likes to wear hers. If you prefer to skip the main dining rooms you can def get food on the pool deck or via room service and dine in your room. :) I am seeing reports that they are still sitting diners alone and not with strangers. But that may change at any time as the normal procedure is to assign tablemates. I hope you have a great cruise.

I would be prepared to alter my behavior. Getting room service and watching the shows on my TV. Sounds like things like Bingo and dinner are packed again. Only you can decide what you are okay with, but it sounds like things will pretty full and normal very soon.

I work from home, do online shopping, and hadn't gone to a restaurant or movie since covid. We cruised on the Fantasy at the end of March so during Spring break time. I thought I would feel nervous being on the ship, but I didn't. It helped knowing everyone 5 yrs and above was vaccinated and had been tested. There were still some young kids on our cruise, but not nearly as many as before covid. This was our 8th DCL cruise, 4th on Fantasy. They moved tables out of the restaurants so there is a lot more space in between the tables, which as really nice. There were many times when we were the only ones in the elevators. Our cabin was midship on deck 6. Anytime we went to Cabanas we would walk to the aft elevators on deck 6 and go up on them. When there were others on the elevators it was usually just a few people. In the clubs and bars they have tables marked off that no one can sit in, so there's separation between groups. Everyone on our cruise wore masks during the shows. Again knowing everyone is masked and vaccinated made me feel better. We went to 2 movies and there were only a handful of pople in the theater at each. I hope you can enjoy your cruise and try not to worry. It was such a wonderful time to relax and to forget about all that has been happening in the world for a week. If I could get on a cruise tomorrow I would.

I was and still am very cautious…we wear masks whenever we are indoors with strangers, almost all kids at DD’s school wear masks (even though not required), almost never do indoor dining, etc. I was on the Wonder 4/3 cruise which I think was the first Wonder cruise to not require masks anywhere except the terminal. We wore masks almost every time we were indoors and I think we saw 2 other families on the cruise who did the same lol. We felt perfectly safe with our KN95 masks even though no one else was masked.

We also felt OK eating in the dining rooms because cases were the lowest they had been since Omicron, everyone was tested, and everyone 5 and up was vaccinated. I honestly wasn’t worried at all at any time. If we were in the middle of a surge I might have felt differently.

I work from home, do online shopping, and hadn't gone to a restaurant or movie since covid. We cruised on the Fantasy at the end of March so during Spring break time. I thought I would feel nervous being on the ship, but I didn't. It helped knowing everyone 5 yrs and above was vaccinated and had been tested. There were still some young kids on our cruise, but not nearly as many as before covid. This was our 8th DCL cruise, 4th on Fantasy. They moved tables out of the restaurants so there is a lot more space in between the tables, which as really nice. There were many times when we were the only ones in the elevators. Our cabin was midship on deck 6. Anytime we went to Cabanas we would walk to the aft elevators on deck 6 and go up on them. When there were others on the elevators it was usually just a few people. In the clubs and bars they have tables marked off that no one can sit in, so there's separation between groups. Everyone on our cruise wore masks during the shows. Again knowing everyone is masked and vaccinated made me feel better. We went to 2 movies and there were only a handful of pople in the theater at each. I hope you can enjoy your cruise and try not to worry. It was such a wonderful time to relax and to forget about all that has been happening in the world for a week. If I could get on a cruise tomorrow I would.

We cruised on the Dream back in September just after the height of the Delta peak and felt similar to this. With everyone masked, tested, vaccinated and spaced out, we felt very safe and would have jumped on another one in a minute. We do have another one coming up soon and are a bit less assured now due to the mask requirements and pretty much all distancing being lifted. But I still think it's a more controlled environment than eating in a restaurant at home, for example, where you don't know that everyone is vaccinated or recently tested, etc.

OP, I totally get your uncertainty though. No easy answers for those trying to walk the line between staying cautious while there's still a pandemic going on and getting back to things that make us feel good after all this time.

The negative test at port was a big comfort to me. I still wear masks indoors in the place where I live, and was very careful when traveling (double masks--one of them kn95--distance, sanitize everything) but on the ship I felt a lot more comfortable knowing we had all just been tested. Not perfect, but a heck of a lot better than on land.

If I didn't feel that was adequate protection, I don't think I would cruise right now. Elevators are crowded. Pools were crowded. Rainforest room was crowded. Shows were every seat filled. Dining rooms are crowded (we did not table-share last week, but tables were sooo close together and room was packed).

On the magic now. If you are worried about Covid not sure a cruise is a great choice. Dining room is back to full capacity. Shows every seat is full. Crew is all masked but no one else is.

Yes everyone tested in port but you self swabbed and the people weren’t watching you do it. It would be very easy to not do test correctly.

On the magic now. If you are worried about Covid not sure a cruise is a great choice. Dining room is back to full capacity. Shows every seat is full. Crew is all masked but no one else is.

Yes everyone tested in port but you self swabbed and the people weren’t watching you do it. It would be very easy to not do test correctly.

Really? I've sailed with DCL three times since the re-start (PC and Miami) and have been supervised for proper swabbing during all my tests.

We dont sail until July and I hope I feel better about exposure by then
We live in the country and are retired. I've been very isolated. I wear a mask while shopping, most people don't. I am also afraid of seasonal colds, I've had two now thanks to my beautiful greats, and had terrible covid appearance symptoms. I will wear a mask on the flight to Vancouver regardless, I hope the testing will be over by then. I don't want our cruise to be ruined that's all, no real fear of actually getting covid.

I'm not trying to start any kind of debate about protocols and the like, I'm just wondering if others who are still cautious about covid (still wear masks in public places, for example) have cruised since the covid protocols onboard have been lifted and if you felt comfortable with the experience.
We sailed Oct 2021 and March of this year. Mask mandates were in place (though loosely enforced) on the Oct cruise, but nobody really had them on for our March cruise. With all of that being said, I felt really safe on both trips. All of the mandates and protocols they have in place made us all feel really safe. We sail again in May, I believe most of the protocols will be gone by this sailing. Oct CM served you soda. March you served yourself. I think another part of why we felt so safe was because both of those sailings were only at 50-60% capacity. Things are likely going to feel quite different when we sail in May and October this year.

I sailed in February when most of the protocols were still in place. I am super cautious and continue wear my mask in public places. Having most people vaccinated and tested beforehand helped alleviate my fears. There is always a chance, but I liked the odds.

I don’t have another cruise scheduled until May 2023. Hopefully, COVID, as it stands, will be in the rear view mirror.

I've been reading that the Magic has felt like a busy ship recently but the Fantasy has been a different story

We cruised two weeks ago on Harmony of the Seas. Very, very few people on board wearing masks except for crew. We felt very comfortable.

Really? I've sailed with DCL three times since the re-start (PC and Miami) and have been supervised for proper swabbing during all my tests.
Me too....the Dream in September, the Magic in January and again last week. All were supervised tests where they actually watched you swabbing.

MJ

I sail in Dec. We live in a low transmission, low 70% vaccinated state. I’ll get my booster in the fall, per doctor’s projection, and carry on per the science. I would be in me in the aware and conscious risk-assessing category.

We have always been VERY COVID conscious and hadn’t even eaten indoors since March 2020 before we went on our cruise. We cruised at the end of March and felt very comfortable knowing that everyone over 5 was vaccinated and that they did the PCR test on the dock. Some people were shocked we went but to be honest I felt it was probably safer than school since all of the kids my kids would be around in the club were vaccinated (which I can guarantee is NOT the case at school where they dropped the mask mandate in mid-March). Someone in our family also tested positive in Feb so we assumed we were all exposed back then anyways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter