If you were a bug in Oct.- how big would you be?

audflash

<font color=teal>Knows all the right things to do
Seriously, I come from AZ and yes we do have snakes and scorpions and all that but not too many flying bugs. Are there mosquitos in FL in Oct? Other creepy crawlies? If so, what do you use to combat them all day? I really hate spraying my kids with chemicals...

Audrey

A never-bug a really really small one :D

We went in October 2002 and didn't have any bug problems - not so much as a bite among us - not even the cotton candy covered 3 yo. LOL We carried the Avon stuff - but never used it.

Originally posted by audflash
Are there mosquitos in FL in Oct? Other creepy crawlies?
Nothing to worry about. The mosquitos in the Southeastern US seldom get over 1", and the roaches almost never carry off children older than 2.

:p

Nothing to worry about. The mosquitos in the Southeastern US seldom get over 1", and the roaches almost never carry off children older than 2.

ROFLMAO! I was going to say, just bring a saddle and rope with you and you should be fine with the mosquitos. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I was raised in the south and really can't understand why people get so upset about bugs? I tell my kids "never be scared of anything smaller then your foot!" As far as biting bugs, they usually are predominanatly bothersome at night. During the day we have never had any problems with bites at WDW, and we have been in July, August, October, almost every month. If you are worried about chemicals check out Avon's skin so soft and other non-chemical protection methods. If it has cooled down by your visit you may not have a mosquito problem at all, wet weather makes them worse too. Just be prepared in case you do see them and don't freak out! Remember, up here in Illinois we had the largest number of West Nile cases in the country last year, the south does not corner the market on bugs!!

... other than perhaps a dragonfly, (which doesn't really count as a creepy-crawlie, IMO) has got to be the palmetto bug. There should not be too many of them in evidence that late in the year, but if the weather stays warm and wet, you could see stragglers on the ground at night near the bushes.

A palmetto bug is a tree roach. They don't bite, but they will fly if startled into it. This variety of roach is an outdoor bug, and is not normally found indoors. They live among the roots of large trees like live oaks, and come out to forage at night. They also tend to live in swampy palmetto stands, hence the name. My cat used to like to catch them and present them to me as a gift, which was pretty nasty. Adult palmetto bugs are about 2 inches long.

Ha Ha - you guys are kooks. :jester:

I am mostly concerned about mosquitos - I can't stand them! I have these very bad memories of a night spent in Hot Springs, Arkansas. :eek: Talk about being eaten alive...

I'll try the Avon stuff - I heard it smells ok, too.

NotUrsula: We have some big roaches like that here, too. They come out when it rains - every other year or so. ;)

Audrey

Audrey I most definitely think you better skip It's Tough to Be a Bug in the AK!! All the Avon or Off you can carry won't get rid of those guys!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Seriously I go every year in Oct. and never been bothered by bugs and since Erich was terrified by ITTBAB when he was around 5 we avoid those too!:p

Originally posted by laceemouse
I tell my kids "never be scared of anything smaller then your foot!"
It's true, the mosquitos do get bigger in Alabama and Mississippi.

Also been 3 times in October and no problems with the mozzies.

Did however stand on mound of grass outside rental villa. Turned out to be an ants' nest. Bitten up to knees. Dashed to Walgreens and rescued by nice pharmacist who gave me some evil-smelling but miraculous lotion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter