If you upgrade to AP, make sure they give you a yellow card

Side note...I wish as an AP holder my AP card could be linked to MDE rather than me wearing a magic band. Since I have to carry my AP card anyway (and my license, health insurance card, cash, back up credit cards, etc) I'd prefer to just use my AP card like the old KTTW card but use RFID to scan to my MDE account for FP+ access.
Edit for future clarity:

The plastic RFID AP card/ticket will work for admission instead of a MB.

Last edited:
You can get/use a plastic card RFID ticket that will work for an AP instead of a MB.
But, you'll still also need to show the yellow AP card for the discounts.
Isn't this the same card? I know it is for us? The yellow AP card that I show for discounts is the same card that I'd use to enter the parks or redeem a FP

Side note...I wish as an AP holder my AP card could be linked to MDE rather than me wearing a magic band. Since I have to carry my AP card anyway (and my license, health insurance card, cash, back up credit cards, etc) I'd prefer to just use my AP card like the old KTTW card but use RFID to scan to my MDE account for FP+ access.
You can. Using a MB is not required. The AP works just like a plastic ticket does, to get in the park and to redeem FP.

Isn't this the same card? I know it is for us? The yellow AP card that I show for discounts is the same card that I'd use to enter the parks or redeem a FP

That would make a lot of sense.
If it IS, then that card could be used for any of the other "near-field" functions of a MB, like room entry and charge-to-room,
because all RFID cards and MBs linked to your MDX are basically interchangeable.

That would make a lot of sense.
If it IS, then that card could be used for any of the other "near-field" functions of a MB, like room entry and charge-to-room,
because all RFID cards and MBs linked to your MDX are basically interchangeable.
I've never tried to use it to do everything a MB can do but I know it can be used to enter the parks and to redeem FP.

You can. Using a MB is not required. The AP works just like a plastic ticket does, to get in the park and to redeem FP.

You sure about that?

Ive used it for park entrance but last time I tried it did not work for FP+

Until Disney upgrades their IT and AP discounts are automatically applied when using my MB, I think I’ll continue to keep the discount process drama free and simply pull out my ID and AP card (which I didn’t have to ask for when upgrading — this is where the issues stem from IMO) when making a purchase without prompting. It’s just easier.

On the note of discount “sharing”, about eight years ago my DD and I each had an AP. As I was paying my DD brought up a cheap $4 item and plopped it on the counter with the rest of my goodies. The cashier would not allow me to add my daughters item to my purchase until she verified my DD had an AP as well.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that. That's ridiculous. Anything YOU pay for with your discount gets the discount, whether you choose it or someone else does. A person with an annual pass can buy as many gifts as they like, right?

We are renewing our AP's in February. We already have the yellow card. Do we need to make sure to get a new one, or will our old one be linked?

Thanks!

I use my AP card for FP all the time. My parents don’t use magic bands and exclusively use their AP cards to enter the parks and FP lines. They definitely work.

The yellow AP card is literally just an RFID-enabled ticket card just like any other, except it has the AP logo on it.

It's required for discounts (unless you get a merch or F&B CM who's willing to bend the rules and look at your MDX app) but can be used in place of a MagicBand for people who don't have one and/or don't want to use one.

The confusion comes from some people referring to it as a 'discount card' - it is that, but it's also the hard ticket copy of your AP. There used to be a separate stand-alone AP discount card that was not RFID-enabled and wasn't actually a ticket on its own. Those are, as far as I know, dead and gone.

I use my AP card for FP all the time. My parents don’t use magic bands and exclusively use their AP cards to enter the parks and FP lines. They definitely work.

Agree - I use my Annual Pass card often for park entrance and FP+ when not staying onsite as I don't "love" wearing a MB and it most certainly works!

I think some are getting confused between the AP Discount card that used to be issued along with the actual Annual Pass card that is your park admission. The "discount card" was discontinued as it was redundant and now you just get your Annual Pass. The Annual Pass is your park ticket and as such is valid for park admission and FP+ as well as the discounts :)

You can get/use a plastic card RFID ticket that will work for an AP instead of a MB.
But, you'll still also need to show the yellow AP card for the discounts.

There is only one card now - they did away with the discount card.

fwiw - I have never used the discount card as I felt it was silly to carry two cards, if I have my AP that's proof that I am a passholder! Annual Pass and ID to get a discount, Annual Pass for admission and Annual Pass for FP+.

Interesting to hear all these varied experiences. I've been an AP holder for a few years now. I've always renewed it in person and never had a CM not provide me the new AP card. I've had a magic band every time as well.
We too, have always been given the AP Card.

I just activated my AP a couple of weeks ago - we were only given one card per person - the yellow AP card. It worked as the ticket into the parks and worked on all the FP+ systems. I was slightly confused because the last time we got AP's we were given 2 different cards, but it's just all on one card now - much nicer. It would be even better if they could just scan our magic band to confirm AP status, but I guess not yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter