• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you test positive for Covid at the port…

This is one of the very reasons why I cancelled my cruise in February on the Fantasy. There are just way too many what ifs for my comfort. I don't want to take a chance of testing positive. No boarding the ship. No flight home. can't even find a rental car to make the 1100 mile journey home. I'll pass. I'll wait until life is back to normal and if that never happens I guess I've stepped foot on my last cruise ship.

I have a 4-night Bahamian cruise out of Port Canaveral booked on the Disney Dream for January 17 - Jan 21, 2022. I believe November 18, 2021 is my last day to cancel for a full refund. If testing is still required for all passengers by then, I’ll probably cancel and rebook for January 2023. I don’t want to risk myself or my traveling partner testing positive or getting a false positive and then being stranded at the port.

This is one of the very reasons why I cancelled my cruise in February on the Fantasy. There are just way too many what ifs for my comfort. I don't want to take a chance of testing positive. No boarding the ship. No flight home. can't even find a rental car to make the 1100 mile journey home. I'll pass. I'll wait until life is back to normal and if that never happens I guess I've stepped foot on my last cruise ship.
I think a lot of people feel like you do. I've been reading some of the other cruise line threads on cruise critic and it seems like a lot of people are canceling. I guess I'm the eternal optimist because I just booked a Baltic for next Summer. Hopefully, the preboard testing goes away by then. If not we'll cruise out of the U.S. As long as cruise lines continue to offer full refunds I'm not that averse to all the protocols.

I find it odd that Disney is creating an incentive for guests to show up at the port who know they are COVID+ to get a 125% FCC. I know if you are currently booked on a FCC this would not be in play. If I was a local with an original booking and tested positive a few days before the cruise, I would be tempted to show up for the cruise instead of getting a refund or moving the cruise date.

I find it odd that Disney is creating an incentive for guests to show up at the port who know they are COVID+ to get a 125% FCC.
Where did you hear 125% FCC for showing up/testing positive? I believe it's a full refund or credit towards a future cruise. Same value for the refund or credit. No extra 25%.

Where did you hear 125% FCC for showing up/testing positive? I believe it's a full refund or credit towards a future cruise. Same value for the refund or credit. No extra 25%.
Thank you, that's what thought I read. But I couldn't find the post specifying that.

Oh. I thought I saw where guests who were vaccinated and tested positive at the port were given a 125% FCC. I found the policy now and see where it is just a denied boarding voucher.

I have a 4-night Bahamian cruise out of Port Canaveral booked on the Disney Dream for January 17 - Jan 21, 2022. I believe November 18, 2021 is my last day to cancel for a full refund. If testing is still required for all passengers by then, I’ll probably cancel and rebook for January 2023. I don’t want to risk myself or my traveling partner testing positive or getting a false positive and then being stranded at the port.

You don't have to worry much about a false positive. If your first test comes back positive, then you'll get a second test to confirm the result. You can also reduce the chance of a real positive result by self testing 1-2 days before you head to the port. It's not a perfect system, though. I'm certainly stressed about it.

If you are too far away to drive home, I assume you have to quarantine in a hotel for 10 days if you test positive. Do any of these travel insurance companies cover the expense of the hotel? That could certainly get expensive quick.

Like I said they won’t know unless you tell them. I’m not saying that’s right.
As far as little kids vomiting a lot of times it is nothing. On a ship it could just be motion sickness. My kids used to get car sick frequentlly. I’ve vomited a few times on a ship. I wouldn’t just assume it’s a gastrointestinal virus.

This was multiple nights into the cruise and the kid had demonstrated no issues previous nights - and no it was not rockier. And ship policy is that you should visit the medical center to be evaluated. The mother was told this by the dining room manager. Had it happened in their stateroom, sure, they could have pretended it didn’t- not honest or ethical, but neither is getting on a plane knowing you tested positive for COVID hours before - but it happened with plenty of witnesses around.

Sure you can choose to lie about it - eventually there may be penalties, particularly for lying about it and getting on a plane.

If you are too far away to drive home, I assume you have to quarantine in a hotel for 10 days if you test positive. Do any of these travel insurance companies cover the expense of the hotel? That could certainly get expensive quick.
I have friends that went to Portugal and they bought insurance that covered the 2 week quarantine. They said it was cheap. That’s all I know I haven’t personally searched for it.

can't even find a rental car to make the 1100 mile journey home.

You don't need to find anything. You use the car rental to go to Port and keep the car length of cruise there (just in case they bring out disembarkation testing).

If you test positive, you contact your covid insurance company, outline you have a car rental back to MCO that you could simply drive home.

Rental company you use should also have drop offs near your home (hertz, budget, ect).

There will be a fee from the rental company but your insurance would cover that most likely.

I can make a 1k drive in a day without an issue so don't need to worry about overnight but if you needed to rest then Walmart parking lots are go to.

Search for Covid insurance. It covers other things but it will have specific language to cover, medical, evac, quarantine, lost investment in trip.

You want one likely that would be accepted in Costa Rica. Why? Because that country requires a minimum insurance so if it passes that bar it likely hit ls what you need for domestic travel but you just need to look in to it.

Vaccinated people haven’t been tested yet.

Not sure that vaccinated people weren't tested before.

Before this last change of protocols, vaccinated people who live outside the US (or those who arrived into the US) were not included in the exemption from testing. So there could have been Canadian vaccinated guests being tested.

This was my issue as a Canadian arriving into the US a few days before the cruise. DCL then changed it to those arriving less than 5 days prior...now, after this last change, we're considered vaccinated regardless of whether we arrive in the US the day before.

Originally, as fully vaccinated guests, we would have had to test before we take a flight to the US, then another one 5 days or less prior, then embarkation test. That was a lot of testing...my issue was looking for a test site around WDW where we were staying.

Now it's just an embarkation testing.

If the policy has an Epidemic Coverage Endorsement, a positive test/the need to quarantine for you or a travel companion with trigger trip cancellation and/or interruption coverage. Depending on the amount of your coverage, this could cover your hotel and food expenses.

You don't need to find anything. You use the car rental to go to Port and keep the car length of cruise there (just in case they bring out disembarkation testing).

If you test positive, you contact your covid insurance company, outline you have a car rental back to MCO that you could simply drive home.

Rental company you use should also have drop offs near your home (hertz, budget, ect).

There will be a fee from the rental company but your insurance would cover that most likely.

I can make a 1k drive in a day without an issue so don't need to worry about overnight but if you needed to rest then Walmart parking lots are go to.

It does all sound good with the exception is that I would arrive the night before, stay at the hotel in MCO, and then take a shuttle or limo to the port. No rental car for me. From there it can go south way too fast for me trying to find a way home. I'm not attacking your opinion, I do appreciate it. But for me just not worth the risk, potential aggravation, and uncertainty. That and even though I am fully vaccinated, I just do not like the requirements and protocols. I get it, I understand it, I even agree with some of them, but if I'm spending over 15K total for a vacation the what if's are far too great for me. I'll just wait for life to return to normal and if it never does, well I'll keep on enjoying the new boat I bought this year with the money I got back because of 3 cancelled cruises over the last 1 1/2 years.

What if this is the new normal? Thats what i keep telling myself anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter