If you test positive for Covid at the port…

knewton64

- May the luck of the Irish always be with you -
I understand DCL will fully refund you
(If your guest folio is applicable for a full refund)

but …

Q- how do you get back home ?
Q- do you stay at a designated DCL site until you retest negative?

Q-
Does then DCL rebook your passage back home ,complete with ground transfers , once you are negative and you pay them or are you on your own ?

Future DCL cruiser here and totally freaked out by all this and can surely need some help here -

Tia😎

I wouldn't expect any DCL help on return flights (unless you booked air through DCL) or interim places to stay.

i have booked air , preday and hotel for preday , ground transfers to and from as well as cruise thru DCL …..

This is where the insurance comes in. Since you booked air through DCL, I do think they will help with rescheduling or cancelling the flight. However they probably won't do the rest of your plans for you -- hotel, car rental, etc. The insurance will help cover the expenses, though you may need to pay upfront and be reimbursed.

However, it appears nobody really has solid answers to any of these questions. Which leads me to believe there must be very few, if any, who have been turned away at the port due to a positive embarkation test in the past month.

Is flying even an option if you’ve tested positive? Doesn’t matter if you had a negative test after. I think the question is have you had a positive test. If you answer yes I don’t think any airline, train, or bus will even take you - Disney arrangements or no. So the question is are there enough rental cars in the area to accommodate?

This is where the insurance comes in. Since you booked air through DCL, I do think they will help with rescheduling or cancelling the flight. However they probably won't do the rest of your plans for you -- hotel, car rental, etc. The insurance will help cover the expenses, though you may need to pay upfront and be reimbursed.

However, it appears nobody really has solid answers to any of these questions. Which leads me to believe there must be very few, if any, who have been turned away at the port due to a positive embarkation test in the past month.
Your kind reply just triggered mentally what happened to me via Collette Vacations.com last year which was they would begrudgingly see if any availability at the last hotel the group tour stayed at but if successful it would be at hotel rates not collette.com rates and that’s basically it.
Now imagine - here you are in Paris France , you’ve come up positive for Covid and your travel company you booked the trip through basically just shrugs it’s shoulders and that’s it.
wow!
What a bad suppressed memory but oh well , now I know .

imo , this is nuts as yes, just like my stalled out … put “on hold until Covid is dead” plans to visit DL Paris , so is Key West as look for me to be canceling my April ‘22 DCL vacation in mid November if the Bahamas renews their law in early November of everyone must Covid test at the port .

but again , thank you for your reply as you have really cleared up a lot of issues for me .

Last edited:

So far, I have not found any insurance policies that would cover hotel costs in the event of a quarantine...

I used the live chat feature on the Disney Cruise website and asked if DCL provides transportation back to the airport if someone who is fully vaccinated tests positive at the terminal embarkation day testing. They said that they were advised that their port crew members would handle the situation on a case by case basis.

Since DCL will not allow us a refund or sailing date change unless we test positive at the port and are denied boarding (we booked VGT) we needed to make a plan. I’m not leaving this to chance or DCL since they are unreliable at best at this point. We have 4 round trip flights booked with United Airlines on points for hubby, me, and his folks. So. Hubby and I are going to forgo our flights and burn an additional day of PTO so we can leave in the wee hours the day before the cruise to drive our large SUV down. It’s a 13 hr drive. We cancelled our airport transfers since we will have our own transportation. Moved our night before hotel from the Hyatt MCO to a Home2 by the port. We are going to drive and pick his folks up at the airport. If we get turned away the day of at least we have a large, comfortable vehicle there to take us home. I don’t have to worry about hotels or rental cars or anyone’s possibly existent assistance.

I have a first hand account of someone whose child (<12) tested positive at the port yesterday for the Dream sailing. They had flown to Orlando and did not have a car. They were put on a DCL bus (free of charge) by themselves and taken back to Orlando. That was the extent of DCL offering to help with travel arrangements. They were offered either a full refund or a 125% future cruise credit. I don't know what they decided to do after returning to Orlando.

I have a first hand account of someone whose child (<12) tested positive at the port yesterday for the Dream sailing. They had flown to Orlando and did not have a car. They were put on a DCL bus (free of charge) by themselves and taken back to Orlando. That was the extent of DCL offering to help with travel arrangements. They were offered either a full refund or a 125% future cruise credit. I don't know what they decided to do after returning to Orlando.
Do you know where in Orlando they were taken back to? The airport?

Do you know where in Orlando they were taken back to? The airport?

The CM helping them asked them where they would liked to be dropped off in Orlando, which implies to me that they would have taken them wherever they asked. They chose to be taken to the airport since they knew there was a hotel and rental car options there. They ended up renting a car and driving home.

We certainly are not within driving distance of home - I'm in Oregon. I'll have to look into what happens if you are stranded.

We'll likely test before we head down, and hope for the best. PCR testing is free for us, and I already have to test anytime I do anything in a large group of people before I am allowed back in to work, so I'm used to it.

We certainly are not within driving distance of home - I'm in Oregon. I'll have to look into what happens if you are stranded.

We'll likely test before we head down, and hope for the best. PCR testing is free for us, and I already have to test anytime I do anything in a large group of people before I am allowed back in to work, so I'm used to it.

This family lives in TX so while not as far as Oregon, they still had to drive for 2 days to get home. Their child had done the required test on Monday (actually had 2 different tests done on Monday) and was negative, but then tested positive on Friday. Someone else on their sailing tested positive at the port as well but were local so could just drive home.

Princessmommyx, do you know if a second test was given by DCL after the first positive test? It was reported here that that was the procedure I think. Thanks for your reporting.

Princessmommyx, do you know if a second test was given by DCL after the first positive test? It was reported here that that was the procedure I think. Thanks for your reporting.

The person I am in contact with did not ask about a second test, but someone else on their sailing who tested positive did and they were told that the same sample had already been tested twice, before they were even notified of the positive result. Not sure what would have happened had the second test been negative.

NOT THE SAME THING, FYI

Many resorts have onsite testing for guests who need to be tested prior to flying home. Sone resorts will offer ccomplimentary accommodations as needed for quarantine. Some sell. or give free, travel insurance which covers quarantine expenses.

I've looked at resorts in the Cancun area of Mexico and Costa Rica.

I don't think I'd book a cruise if a negative test at embarkation is required.

So far, I have not found any insurance policies that would cover hotel costs in the event of a quarantine...

This is good to know and I will be calling my cruise insurance company to find out about what the do and do not cover with a positive Covid test on , before, or upon debarkation of the cruise.

They were put on a DCL bus (free of charge) by themselves and taken back to Orlando. That was the extent of DCL offering to help with travel arrangements.

That's it and I'm sure you saw that DCL told a person that called that it would be determined on a case by case basis meaning that there is no policy to help the guests out. People need to realize that pandemic Disney is not the Disney of years ago. They absolutely only care about there stockholders and not their guests. They have made this very very clear lately. They can always find another customer with money finding another large stockholder is much more difficult.

Not sure what would have happened had the second test been negative.

They would have let them cruise. The CDC recommendation requires a negative test. To my knowledge, It does not say anything about the best of 3 or how many positives before the negative.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter