If you see a baby left in a car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this:

Seems "not most", but leaves a whole lotta gray area to be charged anyway. Only a complete fool would risk putting themselves and their child in such a situation.

for a bottle of water.:sad2:

I found this:

Seems "not most", but leaves a whole lotta gray area to be charged anyway. Only a complete fool would risk putting themselves and their child in such a situation.

Again, over-reaching on your part.

Not over reaching at all. In fact, it is right on target. Apparently you either accidentally missed or chose to ignore the information quoted by that PP regarding child endangerment laws.

It was in a MALL parking lot. How should that be handled?

And for those who asked, I have worked with CPS and still do from time to time. It's a giant ridiculous leap to go from parent gets called on the carpet for leaving a kid in a hot car to kid gets put permanently in an institution with insane, dangerous derelicts.

The more likely scenario is that the kid might be placed with other family during the investigation.

Such reaching. :sad2:

Placing a child with another family sounds far more traumatic than the child spending a few minutes in a car alone.

And what's to say that your viewpoint isn't mistaken? DW is a former CPS investigator and now currently supervises an office with children in the foster care system so she has a seasoned view of both ends of the CPS system, from when kids enter to when they are ultimately placed with foster families. After advising her on the original post, she agrees that alerting the police is absolutely the right thing to do. Regarding the last section in bold, are you willing to risk something happening to that child left unattended because you're too worried about secondary issues like being on a CPS watch list? I'm not. I would be worried about immediate issues, like the immediate safety of the child.

It seems like a huge stretch to me to think that the child is not safe. I know you can come up with all kinds of improbable situations that could happen - the baby could be abducted, the car could spontaneously combust, etc. - but what will probably happen is the mom will return and the two will go on their way without further issue. That's what's probable unless some bystander decides to make themselves feel superior by calling the police.

You think it's lazy parenting to leave the baby in the car for a couple of minutes, so you'll do your best to make the mom pay. I think it's lazy parenting to feed your kids poptarts for breakfast every day, so guess what I do about it? I don't buy poptarts for my own kids and let everyone else make decisions for their own children. I'll save my righteous indignation for something that really is likely to impact a child's safety.

I hope someone called CPS on this guy:

An Army staff sergeant home on leave in southwest Florida chased down a suspected bank robber and held him until authorities arrived.

Officials say Eddie Peoples was at a Bank of America branch in Sarasota with his two young sons Tuesday when a man walked in with a handgun and demanded cash from the tellers. Peoples told the Sarasota Herald-Tribune he sprang into action after the man threatened his sons.

Peoples says he left his sons inside while he ran to his rented van and blocked the suspect's car in the parking lot. The suspect got out and pointed his gun at Peoples, who twisted the man's arm, stripped away the gun and slammed him to the ground.

Sarasota Sheriff's deputies arrested 34-year-old Matthew Rogers. The gun turned out to be a toy.

Remember there are no gray areas. The children were left unattended and this man should be in jail. No exceptions ever.

The OP didn't say call CPS, she said call police. No one said the kids need to be removed, or the mother needs to be in jail. People said the mother needs some attention and a professional to make the decision about what is best for them.

I think that if you happen to call the police to come while someone is chasing down a bank robber and disarming them, it would be a good thing. I think you need some attention, and a professional to make a decision about what is best. In this case, I suspect that the professional will likely decide that what these kids need most is someone to help their daddy.

I can think of a number of legitmate reasons why I might be separated from my children suddenly. I might have gone into a diabetic hypoglycemic state and be making really bad choices. I might have been kidnapped. I might have forgotten my kids were in the car. I might have 2 kids and the other one just escaped from my grasp and I'm desperately looking for it.

In all those circumstances (and if I'm chasing a bank robber) I'd be grateful to anyone who calls the police.

Placing a child with another family sounds far more traumatic than the child spending a few minutes in a car alone.

It seems like a huge stretch to me to think that the child is not safe. I know you can come up with all kinds of improbable situations that could happen - the baby could be abducted, the car could spontaneously combust, etc. - but what will probably happen is the mom will return and the two will go on their way without further issue. That's what's probable unless some bystander decides to make themselves feel superior by calling the police.

You think it's lazy parenting to leave the baby in the car for a couple of minutes, so you'll do your
best to make the mom pay. I think it's lazy parenting to feed your kids poptarts for breakfast every
day, so guess what I do about it? I don't buy poptarts for my own kids and let everyone else make
decisions for their own children. I'll save my righteous indignation for something that really is likely to impact a child's safety.

I could care less about the mom or whether she pays because my immediate concern would be for the child, but if she does get into trouble, she created that situation, not me. I could care less
whether she or you fed their kids pop tarts for breakfast because that's not a situation where a child could be in immediate danger. Apparently you're saving up your righteous indignation for the lazy mom who leaves her child alone in a vehicle, based upon your vigorous defense of her.

Apparently you're saving up your righteous indignation for the lazy mom who leaves her child alone in a vehicle, based upon your vigorous defense of her.

I actually don't think the mother was necessarily lazy. It's ridiculous to keep insisting that any child alone in a car is in some sort of immediate danger. Without the interference of a nosy bystander, the mother probably have simply returned to her car and driven away with her perfectly safe child. If a child is left in a sealed car on a hot day, by all means call the police. That child is in danger. If a child seems to be in no physical distress, mind your own business. Within the bounds of the law, we all get to determine what is safe for our children. Some people will let their children walk to school starting from kindergarten. Others will insist on hauling out the family SUV and dropping their children off at the school's front door until high school. Just because this mother does not parent as aggressively as others doesn't mean she is lazy or uncaring. If you weigh the actual odds of something terrible happening to that baby, I am sure such an occurrence is a statistical improbability. The mother probably knew with certainty that her child's immediate comfort would be impacted by being awakened and removed from the car. With a little common sense, she also knew that her child's actual safety was unlikely to be impacted by waiting in the car for a few minutes. Yes, the mother could have taken more precautions to insure against unlikely occurrences, but it's just silly to act like the caller saved that baby from any real harm or even any likelihood of real harm.

I actually don't think the mother was necessarily lazy. It's ridiculous to keep insisting that any child alone in a car is in some sort of immediate danger. Without the interference of a nosy bystander, the mother probably have simply returned to her car and driven away with her perfectly safe child. If a child is left in a sealed car on a hot day, by all means call the police. That child is in danger. If a child seems to be in no physical distress, mind your own business. Within the bounds of the law, we all get to determine what is safe for our children. Some people will let their children walk to school starting from kindergarten. Others will insist on hauling out the family SUV and dropping their children off at the school's front door until high school. Just because this mother does not parent as aggressively as others doesn't mean she is lazy or uncaring. If you weigh the actual odds of something terrible happening to that baby, I am sure such an occurrence is a statistical improbability. The mother probably knew with certainty that her child's immediate comfort would be impacted by being awakened and removed
from the car. With a little common sense, she also knew that her child's
actual safety was unlikely to be impacted by waiting in the car for a few
minutes. Yes, the mother could have taken more precautions to insure against
unlikely occurrences, but it's just silly to act like the caller saved that baby
from any real harm or even any likelihood of real harm.

No, what is truly ridiculous is to keep on insisting that allowing a child to be unattended in a vehicle while parked in a public place is perfectly ok and is no reason for concern. Whatever the odds actually are of something bad happening to that child while mom is doing her shopping, they will likely be lowered when an upstanding citizen calls and brings the police into the situation.

It's simply my opinion. Nothing more.

Personally I think it's "over-reaching" to suggest that it would ruin mom or the kid's life to call 911. The best part is both sides of that opinion can argue that the other is "blowing things out of proportion".

What fun!

No. Not ANOTHER family. I said OTHER family...as in a grandparent, aunt/uncle. Not so traumatic to spend a few days with family (especially if we're talking about a baby who won't remember any of it).

Again, both sides (myself included) seem to be attempting to blow the possible ramifications of involving/not involving the authorities out of proportion to further their own side. I totally get the other side...i really do. But when if I see a situation where I feel that a child could be in danger, I'm calling the cops...I don't give a rat's butt what happens to mom.

Do I sit in parking lots, prowling for unsuspecting mom's who leave their kid in the car for 5 minutes? No way. But if I see it, I'm calling and I don't care what anybody else thinks.

:goodvibes

I actually don't think the mother was necessarily lazy. It's ridiculous to keep insisting that any child alone in a car is in some sort of immediate danger. Without the interference of a nosy bystander, the mother probably have simply returned to her car and driven away with her perfectly safe child. If a child is left in a sealed car on a hot day, by all means call the police. That child is in danger. If a child seems to be in no physical distress, mind your own business. Within the bounds of the law, we all get to determine what is safe for our children. Some people will let their children walk to school starting from kindergarten. Others will insist on hauling out the family SUV and dropping their children off at the school's front door until high school. Just because this mother does not parent as aggressively as others doesn't mean she is lazy or uncaring. If you weigh the actual odds of something terrible happening to that baby, I am sure such an occurrence is a statistical improbability. The mother probably knew with certainty that her child's immediate comfort would be impacted by being awakened and removed from the car. With a little common sense, she also knew that her child's actual safety was unlikely to be impacted by waiting in the car for a few minutes. Yes, the mother could have taken more precautions to insure against unlikely occurrences, but it's just silly to act like the caller saved that baby from any real harm or even any likelihood of real harm.

Exactly!

Most people "endanger" their children far more statistically every time they go on any type of trip.

Within the bounds of the law, we all get to determine what is safe for our children. Some people will let their children walk to school starting from kindergarten. Others will insist on hauling out the family SUV and dropping their children off at the school's front door until high school. Just because this mother does not parent as aggressively as others doesn't mean she is lazy or uncaring.

My second graders walked to school today without dd10. I hope no one calls the cops, especially one of those moms who not only drives her kid to school, but waits in the drop off lane, to make sure her child was not injured or abducted on the 50 foot walk to the door.

And don't even get me started about the parents driving their middle school/high school kids to school every day....

My second graders walked to school today without dd10. I hope no one calls the cops, especially one of those moms who not only drives her kid to school, but waits in the drop off lane, to make sure her child was not injured or abducted on the 50 foot walk to the door.

And don't even get me started about the parents driving their middle school/high school kids to school every day....

:lmao::banana::rotfl:

I live in helicopter parent land and if you do not hover 24/7 you are a failure. DD is in middle school and I am MIND BLOWN as to how many kids get rides every day, to and from.

This thread is making me want to move to a rural area. Granted I said I would wait near the child (NOT call the police) but maybe part of it is I have been made to be nervous. I do live within 20 minutes of the #4 highest crime city in America....

:thumbsup2

If I saw a baby sitting in a car in the parking lot of a convenience store, I wouldn't do anything.
If I was in a place like a mall parking lot, where it is impossible to see your car, and there was nobody around then I'd wait there a little bit, if nobody showed up, I would get mall security.

:lmao::banana::rotfl:

I live in helicopter parent land and if you do not hover 24/7 you are a failure. DD is in middle school and I am MIND BLOWN as to how many kids get rides every day, to and from.

This thread is making me want to move to a rural area. Granted I said I would wait near the child (NOT call the police) but maybe part of it is I have been made to be nervous. I do live within 20 minutes of the #4 highest crime city in America....

Yes, I'll admit that my perspective on this comes from living in one of those very rural areas. It's just not common practice around here to hover over your children. It is common practice to leave a sleeping child in a car for a few minutes, so I'm just not willing to say that all of my friends and neighbors are lazy parents. They've judged the situation for their children, and I respect that judgement.

No, what is truly ridiculous is to keep on insisting that allowing a child to be unattended in a vehicle while parked in a public place is perfectly ok and is no reason for concern. Whatever the odds actually are of something bad happening to that child while mom is doing her shopping, they will likely be lowered when an upstanding citizen calls and brings the police into the situation.

But there is always a chance that something bad could happen to our kids. Walking to school, playing in the yard, at the babysitters and number of things can cause danger to our children. At some point, we as parents have to make a decision as to what is an acceptable risk for our kids.

For instance, I do not like DD to ride her bike in the road at my parents house. All the kids around there do and they all play together. However I don't think DD is ready yet. She's close, but just not quite yet. I need to know that she can stay focused enough while playing to hear a car coming and get out of the way.

However even as a toddler I felt comfortable leaving her in her carseat in the car to run into 7-11 and grab something. Whatever it was that I wanted or needed at that time. And yes, occasionally it might have been beer or cigarrettes, but several times it's been toilet paper or milk to hold us over until the next day when I can get to the grocery store. Several times its been to grab something to be a special treat for her, maybe ice cream or slurpie or something.

I'm not going to go in there and go grocery shopping, its just one quick thing I want/need to pick up. And I feel perfectly safe in leaving her in the car. And now with DS I will leave them together in the car. I just don't do it once it warms up outside because I don't want to leave the car running and I'm not going to risk them getting over heated. Which for the last month its been WAY too hot here to even think about it, even in the mornings.

But if I'm not putting them into any immediate danger then its my choice as a parent, within the laws, to decide for my child. Not some nosey busy body who thinks its unacceptable for their child.

I found these tips on a police website:

• Call 911 if you see an unattended child in a vehicle.

• Never leave children alone in a vehicle - even for a minute.

• Set your cell phone to be sure you drop your child off at daycare.

• Have a plan with your child care provider to call if your child does not arrive when expected.

• Check cars and trunks first if a child goes missing.

I've also found several news articles where parents have been arrested and/or charged with child neglect after being caught leaving their kids unattended in vehicles.

I think it's best to be on the safe side and just take your kids into the store.

But there is always a chance that something bad could happen to our kids. Walking to school, playing in the yard, at the babysitters and number of things can cause danger to our children. At some point, we as parents have to make a decision as to what is an acceptable risk for our kids.

For instance, I do not like DD to ride her bike in the road at my parents house. All the kids around there do and they all play together. However I don't think DD is ready yet. She's close, but just not quite yet. I need to know that she can stay focused enough while playing to hear a car coming and get out of the way.

However even as a toddler I felt comfortable leaving her in her carseat in the car to run into 7-11 and grab something. Whatever it was that I wanted or needed at that time. And yes, occasionally it
might have been beer or cigarettes, but several times it's been toilet paper or milk to hold us over until the next day when I can get to the grocery store. Several times its been to grab something to be a special treat for her, maybe ice cream or slurpie or something.

I'm not going to go in there and go grocery shopping, its just one quick thing I want/need to pick up. And I feel perfectly safe in leaving her in the car. And now with DS I will leave them together in the car. I just don't do it once it warms up outside because I don't want to leave the car running and I'm not going to risk them getting over heated. Which for the last month its been WAY too hot here to even think about it, even in the mornings.

But if I'm not putting them into any immediate danger then its my choice as a parent, within the laws, to decide for my child. Not some nosey busy body who thinks its unacceptable for their child.

You may think it's your right to leave your child alone in your vehicle for whatever reason for however long, and I won't argue that issue with you. Instead, what I'll do if I see your child alone in that vehicle is call the police and you can argue your position with them.

You may think it's your right to leave your child alone in your vehicle for whatever reason for however long, and I won't argue that issue with you. Instead, what I'll do if I see your child alone in that vehicle is call the police and you can argue your position with them.

You know what, feel free to call the police. Chances are I'll be gone before they get there. You're welcome to stay and chat with them if you like, but I'm not going to wait around for them.

Are you also going to call the cops when you drive by my house and see my DD riding her bike in the driveway by herself? She'll be about 2 minutes from the same 7-11 that is so dangerous for her to spend 5 minutes alone in the car at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter