If you have reservations on Southwest-watch for changes!

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
There was an article in the news last night about Southwest making changes to their schedule the next several months, reducing flights, in response to a letter from their flight attendants and pilots who claim to be very overworked right now. They claim that Southwest has been trying too hard to recoup financial losses from reduced air travel during the pandemic. So those of you who have booked flights (and I include myself), watch for potential changes!

Happened to us for our Oct 27 trip.. They cancelled the nonstop from MHT to MCO. We moved to Delta.

Yep, both our September flights, both ways, changed. Annoyed that both our early morning non stop flights were changed to lunchtime and afternoon flights down, late night flight to mid afternoon return and a 10 minute earlier late night return. I hope no more changes. Though all 4 flights, I caught reduced in price at one time after booking, and now we have credit to use, and points returned. Ugh.

We have a quick trip via SW Sept 6-9, been watching but so far no changes. I've been checking every day -
Luckily we have some flexibility if they change things up on us.

Multiple Southwest changes to my flights, all my non stops now have a stop. Not ideal, but feeling it hard to get upset given current world circumstances.

Got 5 flights booked right now with SW and so far no changes. However our daughter has a change on a JetBlue flight that now has a 2 hour layover at JFK.

Same scenario for us on Southwest. We had an early morning non-stop flight to MCO and a later afternoon non-stop flight back to MHT. They switched the NS to MCO to later in the afternoon and the NS back to MHT to early in the morning. Not wanting to get in late and leave early, we have a stop in BWI both ways to get us there in the morning and leave in the afternoon. Glad to still have flights with the amount of flights being cancelled. Hoping everything works out fine.

Last edited:
Both times SW has changed my flights were big opportunities for me. If THEY change it, you can make a second change at no cost from same airports or towns within I think 10 days of flights.

Both times, I was able to immediately rebook and get earlier and/or later flights that were much more expensive than when I first booked.

For example, the last trip I had booked a 1pm flight with 5pm arrival time (because it was $99 for that leg instead of $250 for earlier flight) and SW switched us to even later in the day (5pm land 9pm). I was immediately able to rebook the 6am flight that I really wanted but was too expensive with no additional fees.

Essentially, if they reschedule, then you have access to all still available flights that day regardless of cost.

Our 7pm flight on 8/18 was canceled (we'd already checked in, checked our luggage, and were at TSA when we were sent back to the ticket desk). We were rescheduled for a 5:45am flight the next day and SW comped us a hotel room (Embassy Suites, right at the airport). On the first leg of our trip the next day, I was sitting next to a SW flight attendant who was deadheading to BWI to reposition. She said that SW is operating with a much reduced staff, and often they just don't have the flight crew to make a flight a possibility. The FAs that are working are working a LOT, and of course their contract and FAA regulations protect them against working too much, without enough rest between flights... but she said it's CRAZY! That flight schedule change changed the make-up of our entire trip, but I'm still glad we were able to go to Disney World!

Happened to us for our Oct 27 trip.. They cancelled the nonstop from MHT to MCO. We moved to Delta.

My nonstop flights out of MHT for Oct 16 changed departure time (earlier). The only reason I'm flying out of MHT is because of the direct flight. I live 30 minutes from PWM. Our return nonstop flight time changed as well, again to departing earlier. I was notified of the change at the end of July but I keep checking to make sure there have been no other changes.

ugh - can you tell me more about what flight they cancelled? I am looking at booking the 3 Nov direct at 5:30om from MHT to MCO and worried about that! Did you switch to a delta direct flight out of MHT? Or did you go to Logan?

It seems to be most airlines these days. I booked on Delta for my November trip to Disney, and my flight down's been changed (which means taking additional time off work I didn't need/want to :sad2: )

Our 7pm flight on 8/18 was canceled (we'd already checked in, checked our luggage, and were at TSA when we were sent back to the ticket desk). We were rescheduled for a 5:45am flight the next day and SW comped us a hotel room (Embassy Suites, right at the airport). On the first leg of our trip the next day, I was sitting next to a SW flight attendant who was deadheading to BWI to reposition. She said that SW is operating with a much reduced staff, and often they just don't have the flight crew to make a flight a possibility. The FAs that are working are working a LOT, and of course their contract and FAA regulations protect them against working too much, without enough rest between flights... but she said it's CRAZY! That flight schedule change changed the make-up of our entire trip, but I'm still glad we were able to go to Disney World!
Boy, that is cutting it close! I thought our non stop flight that got canceled a few hours before when we were leaving Memphis on 8/3 was bad. We were checking out of our hotel at 11 am and got the text our 5 pm flight was canceled. We ended up taking an earlier connecting flight at 1 pm. We had to leave and go directly to the airport. We couldn't even do what we had planned that day. And it took all day because we had to fly to Atlanta and then wait awhile to then get on a flight to Colorado. Lost the early bird seating and there were a ton of kids for some reason so we boarded last. Yes, they refunded but I buy it for a reason. Anyway, I understand they are short staffed, but it sounds better if they are not going to keep booking flights and then have to keep canceling people.

So did you get your bags back then for your overnight stay? What about your accommodations for that night that were booked in Orlando?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter