If you had to do it over again, would you change your direct/resale strategy?

Yes and no. I wouldn't have wanted to finance to get the 75 points that it was when we first started looking, but I do wish we were able to get in when the minimum was lower. We just weren't in the position to purchase a timeshare then. I wish I would have paid attention to DVC and looked into it the first trip we took with my son, but I didn't go to a presentation and certainly didn't know about resale until a few years later. I've got 50 pts resale and 25 pts direct, so it would be nice if that counted for discounts (especially the After Hours discounts, those will add up).

I have done both and night and sold a few times to be where I am today.

I definitely don’t regret any of it but direct will be it for us..unless I decide to get more resale RIV. But that’s it!!

How you phrase it really matters.
On one hand you can say you're saving 10,000 dollars up front.
On the other you can say you're paying an extra 260 dollars per year to get access to any and all new resorts, special events, annual pass discounts and exclusive lounges for the next 38 years (2019-2057).

Just depends what matters to you more.
Perhaps, but at the time, being moderately fiscally responsible only permitted us the original 160pts at the price we paid. Things have changed over the last couple years for us, but we still value the point quantity vs unrealized benefits. If we opt to rent our points for a few years (which we will and did) then that breakeven becomes farther away.

I’m happy with our mix of direct/resale. We bought direct at new resorts with incentives (CCV/RIV), and resale at our other home resorts before the 2019 restrictions so we can still use those points at newer DVC resorts.

My only regret is not buying VGC resale when we were last buying in 2018, when it was in the 150s-160s. We really love VGC now after staying there a lot the last couple of years, since it’s a lot easier for us to get to compared to WDW. It costs so much more than it did back then, although it’s come down a lot from its peak. At this point, our future purchases will be VDH direct and/or VGC resale, and possibly Poly2 direct. After that (dare I say it?) I think we’ll have enough points and wouldn’t buy any more.

Perhaps, but at the time, being moderately fiscally responsible only permitted us the original 160pts at the price we paid. Things have changed over the last couple years for us, but we still value the point quantity vs unrealized benefits. If we opt to rent our points for a few years (which we will and did) then that breakeven becomes farther away.
Oh I'm sure its worked out great for you but what makes sense for you obviously doesn't apply to everyone. I opted to do majority resale for now for the sheer number of points but in the future as my career progresses I imagine I'll end up getting some more direct hopefully when theres some good incentives. At the end of the day like everything it just comes down to personal preference.

We did direct because we wanted Riviera and still wanted to try out the other resorts in the portfolio. We're on the fence of CC resale or Poly 2.0 direct with incentives. Waiting to see what happens with direct pricing with VDH, too. That's intriguing for a small contract perhaps.

No regrets. We're big believers in buy where you want to stay. We have to follow school schedules for the next decade, so traveling peak periods requires big points and the 11-month booking window priority, so no cheap SAP for us. Too risky for my blood. I like to book at 11 months as soon as the site goes live and then relax knowing we're booked.

We did direct because we wanted Riviera and still wanted to try out the other resorts in the portfolio. We're on the fence of CC resale or Poly 2.0 direct with incentives. Waiting to see what happens with direct pricing with VDH, too. That's intriguing for a small contract perhaps.

No regrets. We're big believers in buy where you want to stay. We have to follow school schedules for the next decade, so traveling peak periods requires big points and the 11-month booking window priority, so no cheap SAP for us. Too risky for my blood. I like to book at 11 months as soon as the site goes live and then relax knowing we're booked.
Change RIV for CC (wanted it for a Xmas trip here and there) and it’s like you wrote our exact situation!

Those points charts feb/April vacation. Oh boy we we gonna feel points rich when we can switch to off weeks in 15 years lol.

Change RIV for CC (wanted it for a Xmas trip here and there) and it’s like you wrote our exact situation!

Those points charts feb/April vacation. Oh boy we we gonna feel points rich when we can switch to off weeks in 15 years lol.
LOL, we want CC for Thanksgiving week 2-bedroom! We love Riviera for February/April vacation and HS/EP, but CC REALLY is appealing for dining and holidays. Our (extended) family is dying off/scattering, so starting our own new traditions on Thanksgiving week (daughter's birthday, too,) would be a lot of fun.

So keep scouring the resale sites daily for CC, but . . . we love the all-in-one tower style of Riviera and know we'd love that in Poly 2.0 one and two-bedrooms (never want studios).

Throwing in better location, more dining options, Stitch/Poly-loving son, monorail and walking path to GF and MK fireworks/parties . . . eh, IDK!

Poly 2.0 may have great direct incentives, double opening points, and no waiting for ROFR, which appeals to my anal-retentive nature to lock it in and book ASAP and then start fantasy planning my trip.

LOL, we want CC for Thanksgiving week 2-bedroom! We love Riviera for February/April vacation and HS/EP, but CC REALLY is appealing for dining and holidays. Our (extended) family is dying off/scattering, so starting our own new traditions on Thanksgiving week (daughter's birthday, too,) would be a lot of fun.

So keep scouring the resale sites daily for CC, but . . . we love the all-in-one tower style of Riviera and know we'd love that in Poly 2.0 one and two-bedrooms (never want studios).

Throwing in better location, more dining options, Stitch/Poly-loving son, monorail and walking path to GF and MK fireworks/parties . . . eh, IDK!

Poly 2.0 may have great direct incentives, double opening points, and no waiting for ROFR, which appeals to my anal-retentive nature to lock it in and book ASAP and then start fantasy planning my trip.
I love that idea for thanksgiving! I work in grocery retail so can never get those weeks off but I can get the week after thanksgiving off. That’s the one we plan on doing at CC every few years.

Love your plan!

double opening points
Wait whaaaat? More than what they are doing now? I was looking at buying VGF direct a few weeks ago and they would throw in 2022 points... Could there be more? I ultimately decided not to do it (and I feel you on the ROFR process and having to wait months before I can start booking) because I couldn't justify almost $10K more upfront. Since I don't know what I'm missing, I can't be bothered by it. But extra points? Extra stays? I'm listening...

Wait whaaaat? More than what they are doing now? I was looking at buying VGF direct a few weeks ago and they would throw in 2022 points... Could there be more? I ultimately decided not to do it (and I feel you on the ROFR process and having to wait months before I can start booking) because I couldn't justify almost $10K more upfront. Since I don't know what I'm missing, I can't be bothered by it. But extra points? Extra stays? I'm listening...
Double points is IF Poly 2.0 is a new association. When we bought in Riviera direct 2x, we picked a September use year and got the previous year's points as well as the current year's points, so it was like a twofer each time we bought in. It totally spoiled us for larger/more frequent trips and treating my sister/BIL/niece to come for a two-bedroom trip, too, which was tons of fun.

If Poly 2.0 is the same association as Poly 1.0, there's no bonus points. If you bought VGF 2.0 direct, they couldn't give you the previous year's points since they were already in the system as part of the existing group of association of points. I hope I'm explaining it correctly. Others with more experience can clarify better, I'm sure.

Yes I would have either bought SSR when they were selling it in 2004 OR would have bought more BWV points resale when we originally bought them before they started the resale restrictions. Only bought 25 points at the time and it's our only grandfathered contract!

I have 1,000 direct and 3,000 resale. No regrets. I got VGF2 and AUL direct when it had a great firesale

I also love RIV - even with restritions
do you find the $30,000 at least in dues yearly make it worth it? or are you renting out then I can see it being so. thanks

I still think getting our direct 150 out of the way first has been a good move. I know some people like to do resale first because they feel it’s easier to match use years, but we were easily able to pick the use year we needed up front and have had the luxury of matching that through resale since.

Last edited:
I had a miscarriage around when I was going to bid on my first resale contract. It was AKL in the 80s. And boy this chart feels nostalgic, LOL. I think Blue Card was 75 points then?

https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/analysis-of-dvc-resale-price-changes-2014-2016/

But it was years later before we even went to WDW. Buying then would have been a burden. I had no idea what I was doing. I wasn't in a place to be able to rent out points and it wasn't the right choice for then. I'm glad I waited and rented points first before buying. I was able to make a better choice by eliminating WL for me, as I had thought I wanted to buy into CCV.

Hind sight being 20/20, I think i would have had started buying sooner.
Other than that I don’t want the hassle and restrictions of resale….

When I have purchased at new resorts it’s 48 hours from me getting an idea to purchase, to the time I have points in my account.

when I have added on at sold out resorts, 4 weeks was the longest I ever had to wait…. If they had the points in stock it was 48 hours.

but that’s me, I lease new cars every 12 to 18 month too

Hind sight being 20/20, I think i would have had started buying sooner.
Other than that I don’t want the hassle and restrictions of resale….

When I have purchased at new resorts it’s 48 hours from me getting an idea to purchase, to the time I have points in my account.

when I have added on at sold out resorts, 4 weeks was the longest I ever had to wait…. If they had the points in stock it was 48 hours.

but that’s me, I lease new cars every 12 to 18 month too
I am a keep your car a minimum of 10 years person. I am also what I call an incrementalist. I do not wade into things full force. I take small steps over time.

I bought resale and then added 25 direct points to get the benefits, back when any direct points got you the blue card. At that time, the premium on direct versus resale on a 25 point contract was about $800.

If I was doing it today, the premium on buying 150 points direct (which would be $5-7k) would never be recouped by discounts I'd receive, nor justified by getting into lounges and MM events. So, I wouldn't do it.

Double points is nothing more than getting current UY points but buying later in a UY, especially beyond the banking window and being allowed to bank late.

So, those who are buying any UY direct right now, other than February, will get 2022 UY points because that is the current UY for March, April, June, Aug, Sept, Oct and Dec.

Because MF's are based on calendar year and not UY, there are no 2022 fees to pay, which makes them seem like "free" points.

When a new resort opens, the first set of points is the calendar year. So, when VGF opened the new rooms in 2022 (even though it was part of an existing association), every UY started with 2022 points, no matter what.

Even though I bought in March 2022, and it was in my Dec 2021 UY, I didn't get my first set of points until Dec 2022. Of course, I didn't get charged MF's until December 1st either for 2022. Now, if I had bought RIV at that same time, because all the rooms existed prior to 2022, I would have gotten 2021 UY points for my Dec UY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter