If you had $500 extra in the parks what would you spend it on?

ShaunaM

DIS Veteran
If you received a gift of $500 to spend in the parks and you did not want to put towards what you were already planning on spending what you use it for? We are five people; (three teens two adults)

I would do the BB Paint the Night package and use the rest for souvenirs!

Would your family be interested in doing one of the walking tours - either the Walt's Footsteps or the new Discover California Story - they each cost about $100 per person so that would eat up your $500. Perhaps that is what you were already planning to spend it on though.

Other than tours, dining or shopping, I am not sure what other experiences people can spend extra money on at the parks - so I am curious to see what other suggestions you receive. Except of course for a VIP tour but I think they start at almost $500 per hour...:scared:

We had extra money in our budget and took a Metro bus to Medieval Times for a late lunch (it was a Sunday) and show. Wonderful experience and a nice break from the parks.

I'd upgrade my dining. That could mean doing a Fantasmic or PTN package, or maybe just eating at the nicer restaurants like Steakhouse 55 or Napa Rose or Carthay Circle.
And I'd buy myself something that I always feel like is too expensive as a souvenir.

do a dinning and show package :
we always do Knotts.. so $500. would pay for that.
do a "secret santa" type thing and give each $100, and tell them to buy something for their secret person.
buy balloons and give them away to little kids.
buy a photopass for stranger
or if you were coming back in a year. put that towards an AP for one member in the group.
get our names painted at the cart over in Fantasy land . portrait done.
or just go crazy in the shops..

I knew I could count on this group for some ideas ......great ideas everyone keep them coming...I think we have largely ruled out tours only DD1 wants to do one and she is not even sold in light of not seeing Walt's apartment. We all talked something like Carthay Circle but the menu was not as enticing to the kids as it was to me...the portraits intrigue me where do you get them done, is that the ones in NOS? Fantasmic will be down :sad1::sad1:when we get there and the paint the night ones look like they were sold out...I know its a good problem to have and we are mindful of that.

Honestly, I am too frugal to just spend money because I have it. If someone gave me $500 to put towards my trip, I would use it to purchase my ticket and put the rest toward food.
But if I HAD TO I would do a tour and spend the rest of a few souvenirs (which I don't normally buy).

Keep checking for cancellations on the PTN packages. There is a reasonable chance you could still get a reservation. Even if you don't, a nice dinner at BB without having to worry about the tab could be a memorable experience.
A shopping day could be fun, too. Each person would get $100 to spend on something special (e.g. Harvey's bag, D&B bag, Disney art, Wonderground Gallery art, etc.). Discussing and deciding what to buy as you walk through the parks could be a really fun time.

Personally, I would buy a smaller souvenir or have a nice meal, then put the rest down as seed money for my next trip.

Last edited:
I would do a tour, probably the Walk in Walt's footsteps tour. I have done it twice and would love to go again. It makes me appreciate Walt, his dream and the incredible place he built. Maybe put it towards souvenirs & gifts that you usually couldn't justify. Or pay it forward and buy someone else's coffee or balloon. ✨

Maybe the adults could do dinner at Carthay Circle together while the teens do something more their speed. I know vacation is family time, but sometimes it is nice to have some one-on-one time, too! If the kids don't have something they really want to do, they might just enjoy each having a gift card to spend on souvenirs or something.

If you're staying onsite in pool weather you could look at a cabana rental at your favorite pool. Not sure on the prices, I've never done one myself but I've seen others mention them on the boards.

Otherwise here's another vote for dining! Did you see the menu for Steakhouse 55? Might be a lot easier to get teens ok on that one. And the 24 layer chocolate cake is OUT OF THIS WORLD.

What a fun decision!

You could use part of it to buy a frame for any pictures you like. Then use the rest on special character/dining experiences

I'd buy a new Dooney but then some might say I have a shopping problem, lol. Aside from that I'd do a nice dinner - Chef's Counter at Napa Rose perhaps? Steakhouse 55?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter